Monday, November 26, 2012

Coming Soon #58: Light The Way

Coming Soon
"My Way" by Wayne Wonder [Singso Music]

First up this week is a really, really big deal as set to deliver his first studio album in a century and a half is superstar Wayne Wonder, with "My Way". Wonder is probably going to be the biggest name jumping up in December and leading into the first part of next year and, unlike a few of his peers perhaps, you don't even have to 'wonder' about what's going on here - "My Way" figures to be an excellent album. Wayne Wonder has spent the vast majority of his career showing himself to be one of the most reliable artists of his era and, obviously, the occasional moment of SPECTACULAR results has done well for him and all of that makes this album very much anticipated. "My Way" features guest-spots from Shaggy and R&B star, Mya and, like I said, should be a fantastic album and a very bright spot for December. Check it out when it reaches early next month. 

Potential Rating: 4.25/5
Releases on December 4
CD + Digital 
The Seize The Day Riddim [Jah Light Records]

BOOM! The always and wonderfully active JahLight Records from out of Trinidad aren't in the business of wasting time and procrastination and are already back with yet another booming release and a GOLDEN piece of a composition - The Seize The Day Riddim. This sterling Roots piece immediately heads near the front of the pack in terms of my own personal favourite releases from the label which is, carefully, becoming one of the most consistent imprints in all of Reggae music these days in my opinion. As usual, JahLight has also assembled a stellar and colourful cast of vocalists for a riddim which completely demands it. At the head, of course, is the singing divinity which is Queen Omega, who delivers 'Who Feels It Knows It' alongside Fyakin (am I the only person who just feels better about the world every time this woman sings a song???). Also offering big tunes are the likes Djama Keita, Jah Van I, Zally, JahLight staple Roxy Singh and Fireson Bantu from out of Kenya and Jah Defender. Everyone does very well, but the final two in that list, at least to my opinion, really reach sensational levels via their tunes, 'Journey' and 'Celebrate The Earth', respectively. If you really like Roots Reggae music (and you probably wouldn't bother to read this if you didn't), you have no excuse - pick up the Seize The Day Riddim from JahLight Records - excellent. 

Releases on December 4
Digital
The Jump Up Riddim [Weedy G Soundforce] 

The increasingly impatient Soca head in my bones saw the name 'Jump Up Riddim' and immediately thought that its creator, the typically Dancehall-centric Weedy G Soundforce, was changing focus just for a minute and while it wasn't what I was thinking (hoping), it was kind of accurate and not at all disappointing either. The Jump Up is an ooooold school vibed piece which definitely maintains Weedy G's well proven quality levels. Label favourite, Perfect Giddimani, leads an impressive pack which also includes Teacha Dee, Skarra Mucci, Grindsman and others. 

Potential Rating: 4/5
Releases on November 30
Digital  
The Corner Shop Riddim [21st Hapilos] 

The BEAUTIFUL Corner Shop Riddim, via 21st Hapilos and co., is in next and with it, it's bringing a whole heap of big names as voicing this piece are Ce'Cile, Romain Virgo, J Boog, Collie Buddz, Richie Stephens, Jah Vinci (big tune, 'Never Too Late'), Sophia Squire, reigning world's luckiest human being, Chris Martin (BIG tune, 'Mi Friend Dem') and even more and they all do very well. This one, like the Seize The Day, is pretty much a guaranteed winner and someone will surely make fun of you, SEVERELY, if you aren't listening (and by "someone", of course I mean me). 

Potential Rating: 4.25/5
Releases on December 12
Digital  
"Dig Deep" by Saritah [Time To Shine Records]

I don't know very much at all about Saritah, from out of Australia (where this album I'm going to tell you about now is already currently available), but I do know interesting when I hear it (and I also know that Bredz chose to point it out to me because he REALLY liked the cover, whether he wants to admit it or not) (biggup Bredz and his eyes) and that's exactly what I hear on her new album, "Dig Deep". I hear sweetness, I hear a little R&B, I hear a little Jazz and I hear something which isn't close to, but isn't exactly the full opposite of … maybe a favourite of ours with the same three letters starting her name. I haven't heard the full set here, but I do have a nice feeling about it and while I may never write it up, I do plan to pick it up. Join me at it and check it out "Dig Deep" when you can. 

Releases on December 4
CD [I THINK] + Digital
'Only Man In The World' featuring Tarrus Riley by Anuhea [VP Records]

And lastly coming soon this week is Sweet singing Anuhea (great name!) from out of Hawaii with the very nice single, 'Only Man In The World', which features the singer alongside Reggae supernova, Tarrus Riley. Unsurprisingly, also on board is VP Records (this tune would have probably been perfect on the last edition of "Reggae Gold") who likely figure the tune to be a hit and I don't know that I'm going to disagree with that. It's a very nice song and the digital release also includes a very Zouk-ish acoustic version. 

Releases on December 4
Digital

In Stores Now
"Kakilambe" by Takana Zion [RKF Production]

"Kakilambe" is the fourth studio album from Guinean young veteran and burgeoning star, Takana Zion and you're going to also have to call it his most 'flexible' to date as well as the sounds on this thing come from far and wide to make it a complete record. Just listening through it briefly, you hear a wonderfully healthy variety of vibes and genres and while I surely can't say that this was what I was expecting, I also cannot say that I was totally surprised after the album's adroit first single 'Emmanuel' (which I now love) reached a few months back. Besides that song and a few others (like 'Mosiah' which is also very good), a major point of interest here is the song 'Mama Africa', which finds Takana taking an excellent and fitting (although unlikely) next step following 'Glory’ from his last album, 2011's "Rasta Government" on which he linked with Capleton as this tune actually features the chanter alongside Sizzla Kalonji. You don't have to go very far with this album either in terms of how it comes through - you simply won't hear many people with bad things to say about Takana Zion's music. 

CD + Digital
"#TeamCham" by Baby Cham [Madhouse Records] 

I don't know that an album is far off at this point, but if you haven't paying a great amount of attention to Baby Cham, the DJ and Madhouse Records are giving you an opportunity to refresh via a new nine-tracked EP, "#TeamCham". Here, just as you would expect, we have just a collection of recent and kind of recent tunes from Cham. Of certain interest are the tunes 'Stripper Pose' and 'Portmore Anthem' which both have original and edited versions on the EP and feature Madhouse's Lawless Riddim which… is just completely ridiculous in every way and worth the price of admission to pretty much anything. 

Digital  
"Stronger" by King Lorenzo [Rocky Hill Records] 

Next we have an album I was very much waiting on and one which just seemed to kind of 'appear' from earlier this month as Lorenzo, now King Lorenzo, returns with his second album, to my knowledge, "Stronger" for Rocky Hill Records. Lorenzo is another artist in an unfortunately very long line these days and throughout Reggae history, who doesn't get the credit and recognition you would think he would be 'due' because of his immense talents, but maybe you can personally change that when you pick up "Stronger" right now. The album comes more on the old school side and to solidify that thought, "Stronger" actually features combinations with both U Brown and the woefully underappreciated Nereus Joseph, as well as Clifford Fyah Henry. While I haven't made up my mind on this one just yet (it might make for a nice review someday), I think I'm going to really like - and I think you are too. Check it out. 

Digital
The Check Life Riddim [G3R Productions] 

And lastly - while names like Nuni, Teacha Bang, Denise, Red Lion and… the label also actually, G3R  Productions, may not be enough to steer your attentions in the direction of the Check Life Riddim - "LUTAN FYAH" should be and here he delivers one of the strongest tunes the chanter has pushed in all of 2012 in the form of the riddim's MAGICAL title track. 

Digital 

No comments:

Post a Comment