Monday, August 16, 2021

'Stability': A Review of "Rise From The Volcano" by Jah Marnyah

Back home. It was always my hope and my intention that, when the day came when we were completely working on these pages, this blog could serve as some sort of reference aide to any anyone who was looking for maybe 'colourful' information on something we had worked on during our time here. Because of that (and because it's just my own way), I was very careful to make an attempt to cover a wide variety of different artists and releases because, while many of the more popular pieces we've looked at won't have this situation, there were quite a few of them that we did where our mentions (still, all these years later) are either THE only critical piece you'll find online or, at best, are amongst a very few. Fortunately, it hasn't just been me giving the effort either, as we have come across some hidden COMPLETE GEMS throughout our time and, again, I think it would be a real shame if such works went un or even just un-der acknowledged. So looking back, I do surely enjoy the biggest of albums and it is those sets which, ultimately, will bring the most attention to these wonderful artforms, some of my absolute favourites have been pieces which have gone largely forgotten. In particular, I'm thinking about an album like "Tinkin Out Loud" by Ambush! If you remember that album, unfortunately, you may also remember that it has come and gone with so little appreciation (looking it up now, it's even difficult to find digitally these days) given just how solid it was. It's over a decade old now, but well worth digging up if you have the chance. Similarly, also on my mind in similar regards is another artist from out of the VI, Revalation, who delivered a mightily impressive debut, "Serious Matters", wayyyyyy back in 2008. I enjoyed that album so much that it was one of the very first full reviews that I did here ["Flames on! Another life down the drain- GONE!"] and it deserves to be remembered for being as excellent as it was (and listening to it now, it has actually aged quite well). Other sets that I remember fondly which didn't nearly receive the coverage that I think they warranted come from the likes of Nahyubi Joseph (also from out of the VI, whose debut, and unfortunately only, album "Take Heed" was BRILLIANT), Jah Hem, Prince Theo and, a personal favourite of mine, Meshach & Wevolusion from out of St. Lucia. They've all provided this blog with depth and textures which really have fleshed out these pages in a nice way.... at least in my opinion (and, if by some strange ass chance, you are a casual fan of Reggae and have found yourself reading this far into a review, I'd be curious how many names you can find in the tags that you have never heard of at all). And during our extended break, it was definitely something that I missed the most because not doing this to the degree that I do when I'm active - who knows what I missed over the past few years! So, it's time to make up for lost time. 

"A New Day" [2012]

Someone else who very much falls into a similar category of having dropped a very strong project which we were sure to give maximum attention to was the OUTSTANDING UK based, Montserrat born, chanter Jah Marnyah. These days I'm happy to say that I actually use my own work as reference because (I'm old as hell) I can look back and kind of re-feel  the vibe of first coming across Marnyah's work well over a decade ago now. I'd had my eyes (and ears) on his output, based largely on the strength of a sublime early single by the name of 'Anointed One' and what would eventually arrive, back in 2012, was a sterling debut set by the name of "A New Day". That album.... while it wasn't this all-conquering greatest of all time, it is one of my favourites - if that makes any sense at all. There're certain releases (I'm thinking of "Words of Wisdom" and "I Believe" by Turbulence because they're fresh in my mind) (biggup Turbulence, big new album, "The Remedy" in stores now), which are just so familiar and COMFORTING to me and "A New Day" was one of them. It carried at least a pair of downright flooring songs in 'Dem Vex' ["DEM VEX WHEN MI HAIL RASTAFARI! DEM AH SCREW, DEM AH BEND! WHEN MI HAIL THE BLACK KING AS THE MOST HIGH! JAH POWERS MANIFEST!"] and 'Rasta Is Love', but I can go back now and find gems in the title track, 'Every Day' and others still. So I probably spent a few good years singing its praises and, nine years on, as you can see, I still am. 


So it might be nice if Jah Marnyah could maybe give me a new tune to sing. Going back quickly, I can actually remember seeing "A New Day" listed for the first time -- and that would have been 'back in da day" when I would just go on some retail site and start searching names to see what was forthcoming -- and being so damn happy to see it on the way. A similar piece of emotion would have (it did) ran through me last year when, eight years after his debut, the wicked Jah Marnyah returned with his sophomore studio project, "Rise From The Volcano". By that point I likely would have added him to the pile of artists from whom I'm waiting for a new album and would REALLY appreciate one, but had no expectations or anticipations of them ever doing another (biggup Lady Sweety) (it will NEVER happen, even if it does, I will not believe it) (she retired) (DESTRUCTIVELY talented and gifted, a BATTERING RAM of ability) (I digress) but, damn do I love surprises, especially when they look like this one did. I hadn't actually heard a great deal from Jah Marnyah in between albums. Prior to "A New Day", he voiced for several really nice imprints, including Akom Records from out of France, in particular ["Fyah bun dem evilous ways and dem awful thoughts. More love and more joy Rasta want"] [BOOM!] and also Achis Reggae favourites, Oneness Records, as well. But he has definitely been less active in more recent times, which would have made the appearance of "Rise From The Volcano" even more unexpected. But you know that I am not complaining. Previously, while Marnyah had voiced for a variety of producers, his home base has been the same Faya Wurks label which officially released "A New Day", however, this time around the chanter has linked up with Jahmez and IBI Sound Music. I don't actually know whether or not Faya Wurks is still active. Their website is gone, their social medias are long dormant (literally eight and a half years in the case of Twitter) and chances are probably fairly high that if you've ever heard of them, it was due to their attachment, in some way, to the work of Jah Marnyah. So, perhaps, his lower level of activity can be tied to the label (seemingly) not being operational any longer. Regardless, I was damn happy to see a new album from Marnyah, and would have been from any source, so biggup IBI. And just in case you haven't figured it out (which would mean you probably skipped directly to this portion of the review), that album definitely has a very high standard to live up to and very large shoes to fill. Let's see how well it does.

Pretty good. I knew exactly what I wanted, which would have been something along the lines of "A New Day", but I didn't have much in the way of expectations in regards to this album. As I said, save for a few moments here and there, I haven't heard much from the artist over the past few years. Thankfully, I didn't get very far at all into this set without feeling and hearing some of the same vibes which would have made that debut release an outstanding one. Following a moment during an intro to give praise, Jah Marnyah's sophomore release, "Rise From The Volcano", gets going with an extension of the praises on one of its strongest moments, 'Give Thanks'. This one is a SWEET piece on which the chanter reminds us all to take a moment to appreciate some of the smaller things we encounter in life. Something we may take for granted as simple as waking up in the morning can be an occasion to give thanks (because a lot of folks didn't wake up this morning and we all will be amongst them one morning). An excellent way to start is 'Give Thanks' and it, literally, fits at the beginning of the album. Following the first of three interludes, we have what was one of (it may've the only official one) the official singles from "Rise From The Volcano", the outstanding 'Ital Is Vital'. This track is about getting your body together and your health in order by adopting a more natural way of life (I hear a song like this and it reminds me of '50 Push Up' by Spectacular) (biggup Spectacular). You can IMMEDIATELY tell why 'Ital Is Vital' was chosen as a single. It is a GORGEOUS listen and one of the highlights on this album and throughout Marnyah's career thus far in my opinion. We go from one aspect of nature to another as 'Baby Wrap' checks in next.

"It's not an easy thing for a woman to give birth to a child 
Nine months, plus labour and she bring forth life
First seed haffi plant before life it advance
To The Most High bless, it's not by chance
Making sweet love to your woman feels so nice
Great pleasure, what a joy, seems like paradise
For strong down the line she start fi show sign-
Of a pregnant woman, that's the cycle of life"

'Baby Wrap' might be too specific to have been a single, but it is another selection which is so nice to listen to, along with carrying a significant message, so definitely do not miss it. Marnyah keeps the current theme going on the next tune up, 'The Children Are the Future'. This one is aimed at the rest of us, to give the younger generation every opportunity that we can to succeed in life. It is a well attended topic of discourse if you listen to Roots Reggae music, so while it won't break any new ground... it is a very solid selection and... is just very nice to listen to (that's an interesting thought) (more on that later). I will also say that 'The Children Are the Future' is very strong lyrically as well, so pay attention people! Hear what the man has to say.

There's something of a gritty charm to the tune 'Encouragement' which sets it apart to a degree (I'm currently struggling to choose a favourite) on "Rise From The Volcano". It isn't obvious at all, but it well grows and grows on you. I love the messages behind it: The idea of just attempting to be nicer to people, to say things that may help them along and being sure to not carry too much negativity (we're all human, we're entitled to be in a bad mood sometimes, but not ALL the damn time) around, because it can INFECT those around you as well. I don't at all know what the reaction was when the tune dropped, but it is definitely amongst the finest on this release to my opinion and if you wanted to call it THE finest, I wouldn't put forth much of an argument at all. You could also, very well, put the next tune up, 'Strong Woman', into that discussion as well. This one is HEAVY! Gifted with a sweetened piece of old school vibes behind him, Jah Marnyah absolutely had to produce some vocal magic and he does succeed in that. Searching around online, we have seen just a bit of reaction for 'Strong Woman', which I was very happy to see as it is an outstanding piece and one which did deserve to be highlighted on this set. Were I to be in charge of the spotlight to be shone across "Rise From The Volcano", however, the track which would probably receive the lion's share of my attention would be wholly searing 'Mr. Heartless'.

"Nuff a dem fake, none  a dem real
Dem a wicked people
Si dem act like dem clever and ah study evil
Show no love for di weak
No love for di feeble
Tek my kindness for weakness through dem si wi humble"

At this point, if I absolutely HAD to make a pick, 'Mr. Heartless' is probably my favourite altogether here, by the slimmest of margins, but the fact (OPINION) (you are allowed to hate it) is that it ranks in the class of this release, definitely. Following 'Mr. Heartless' is an interesting interlude (#2), which serves as a tablesetter for the piece chasing it, another golden effort, 'Sweet Montserrat', Marnyah's ode to his homeland. The latter portions of this one, in particular, are downright thrilling at times (that last full verse is not to be missed, one of the most exciting on the whole of "Rise From The Volcano"). Though he hasn't been home in quite a while ["My little love, my little Emerald Isle. Even though I haven't seen you for awhile. Oh baby girl I love your style, haven't really seen you in a long time"], clearly it isn't at all very far from his mind. The final offering, the obligatory ganja tune, 'Gimmi Di Ganja',  comes on the heels of its final interlude. Though he hasn't touched the topic a great deal, Jah Marnyah does have an excellent older piece by the name of 'Cannibis Factory', which does set the standard high for 'Gimmi Di Ganja' and it does not disappoint (it's actually quite a bit stronger in my opinion, but you'd expect that). Despite its rather chilled beginnings, it fully develops into a more fiery type of vibes which well prove to be a winner and, of course, it doesn't hurt that it coms equipped with one of the strongest riddims on the album as well. And I do have to mention (I don't have to) (I'm not contractually mandated to) the entirely unexpected combination, 'Wipe Your Tears' (biggup Lutan Fyah) which features Marnyah alongside UK songstress Nia Songbird, a name which was new to me. This is kind of a love song/duet, but not at all in the typical way. It is much more of a 'we made it' type of sentiment. Despite all of the things we've gone through with each other and other people and obstacles, we're still here and still together.

Overall, "Rise From The Volcano" is precisely what I alluded to in my opinion, it is "SOLID". It isn't revolutionary or genre-defining or anything like that. It is a well done and put together release from a very powerful artist and one that well fulfills on the promise shown on "A New Day". I do have to say that my prevailing thought in regards to this album is the simple fact that it exists! I am SO happy that the planets aligned and gave us another album from Jah Marnyah because I'm pretty sure I gave up hoping for such a set a few years back. If you are familiar with the work of Jah Marnyah then you (should probably already have this one) know what to expect here, musically. While I have no idea when, or if, we'll get another, by its end "Rise From The Volcano", though unfortunately brief (biggup Spice), should be enough to keep me quiet for.... maybe a few more months before I start begging for album #3. 

Rated: 4/5

IBI Sound Music

Digital 

2020

2 comments:

  1. It's a PLEASURE to be here and the PLEASURE is in caps for good reason. I am (or used to be) an anchor of a reggae show on radio down here in Nigeria as well as an avid reader of your blog. I stumbled on your blog about 7 years ago when I was frantically searching for a particular www.reggae-reviews.com which used to have over 5000 reggae album reviews.That site has since ceased to exist with all its very rich contents lost forever (very sad). Your blog is the next best thing ever since and I have to say you are doing a fantastically brilliant job. Please keep this. I've got so many questions I would love to ask you and so many artistes I wish you could highlight but maybe some other time. Bless UP!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Give MASSIVE thanks Naijamaican. You are too kind!

    ReplyDelete