Thursday, June 30, 2022

Completely Random Thoughts: Chezidek & Irie Ites

 Okay so, the last review we did was for the ASAP Riddim from Irie Ites (if you're on the main page, you can just scroll down and you'll find it right beneath this one, if you're not then you can check it HERE) and going through and doing research for that review I ran into a wonderful old song that I even mentioned during that write-up. 'The Game' is Chezidek's golden cut of the ASAP and it may be even better than I gave it credit for being so I'll step it up just a bit: The ASAP Riddim has quite a few big tunes, the only one that I consider on the same level as 'The Game' is 'Thunder Storm' by Queen Omega. It is at least a little better than every other tune on the riddim and that is saying a lot in my opinion. Take a listen for yourself!


So obviously you go back and refresh yourself with some older material from Irie Ites and one of the first tunes I ran into was Chezi's take on II's Rocking Time Riddim from a decade and a half ago, 'Who I Am'. Either I completely ignored this one and never really listened to it (unlikely as hell) or it has just grown IMMENSELY over time, because I do not remember Chezidek's song on the Rocking Time Riddim (and I say it like that because, prior to going back, I knew it existed, but I could not have told you what it was or how it sounded) being THIS good.


That got me interested in going back and checking a few more tracks between Chezidek and Irie Ites and I did run into a couple of more truly huge pieces that well deserve another look. The first is from the Strange Things Riddim back in 2010, MAMMOTH ganja tune, 'Bun Di Ganja'.

And the other song that really got me came courtesy of the Borderline Riddim back in 2006, 'Powers of The Lion'

I have some big-picture like thoughts on Chezidek and I'll save them for another review that I'm thinking of doing on an older album I missed from him but, as you can see, this is just a small bit of damage he's done and with the same producer. He has been making HUGE tunes with Irie Ites, alone, for well over fifteen years [!] and judging by 'The Game' the end of that fruitful relationship is nowhere in sight. 

No comments:

Post a Comment