Tuesday, August 2, 2022

No Smoke & Mirrors: A review of Hold A Heights by Mikey General

Known. There is a saying that goes: The best ability is availability. I've always taken it to mean that if someone is needed to do something and you're the closest candidate in the area, then the job is yours. You can press it out further and specifically amd relate it to something like sports: If you have one supremely gifted player who is perpetually injured and another who is not as talented but always healthy, the latter is more valuable. If we were to apply the statement to music, perhaps it would be better to alter it just a bit (although availability is also good in music, someone who is always available to make bad music isn't the best thing in the world) to saying that the best ability is RELIABILITY. There is something tremendous to be said for someone who almost always is capable of doing what you expect from them, musically, in their new work that you've heard from them throughout their career. I think that, also, it is the personification of many of the pillaring aspects of Reggae and Roots Reggae, specifically, that we have these individuals for whom CONSISTENCY and DEPENDABILITY and DURABILITY are amongst their greatest features. Coincidentally, a strong case could definitely be made that, at least in the modern era, the model of consistency has been the great Luciano. With Luciano, you know what you're getting for the vast majority of times (and I say this on the heels of his most recent album "Return Of The Chronicles", which featured very strange updated (and downgraded for the most part) versions of some of his classics) (...no one is perfect) and he has established himself as THE dominant Roots Reggae singer of a couple of eras now, really. I'd also point to a few others like Beres Hammond, Lutan Fyah (guess what??? One of the Fyah's most recent releases, and EP from June called "These Are My Better Days", is pretty bad. Thankfully, however, he was quick to right that wrong with an EP released almost exactly a month later (and less than a week ago as of this writing), "Brilliant", which is very nice, as his norm), Protoje, Fantan Mojah and a pair of our personal favourites, Chezidek and Mark Wonder. What you get from them may or may not be spectacular, but they typically tend to exercise more in the way of 'quality-control' than most of their peers. It stands in a sharp contrast to someone like the star of the most recent review I wrote, Sizzla Kalonji ("Rise Up!", in stores now), from whom I am more likely  to expect the spectacular -- because he has demonstrated himself to be capable of it more often -- but, at the same time, I am not expecting to be ultra focused and 'on-point' every time out because, again, he has also shown himself to be more capable of drifting more often than the other names I've mentioned. Today we take a look at someone else who SURELY belongs on any list of Reggae music's most dependable stars (biggup Everton Blender as well) (and, although I've never been of a fan, Richie Spice) and one whose name would go right next to Luciano's for more than one reason is, of course, Mikey General

While I do have to admit that (and even if I didn't, you could probably figure it out on your own) I love the suspense that always comes with going into a new Sizzla album in wondering just how far from center he'll go this time, wondering if the producer of the latest Akae Beka album will decide to 'try something different' behind Vaughn Benjamin (as well as the inherent predictably unpredictable nature of his music) or if THIS is the album where Turbulence falls out of love with making love songs and returns to a dominant Roots Reggae form (Turbulence's most recent record, "The Remedy", is actually pretty good, you should check that out) (time FLIES, I'm sitting here thinking "The Remedy" came out back in February or March.... it's already a year old now) (WHAT THE HELL!); there most certainly does exist a certain level of COMFORT that comes with a new Mikey General album. The only real question, going in, is how good of a demonstration of what it is it will be, because I already know exactly what it is and so do You. I could even go a step further and suggest that, by looking at several of the titles on the album, I can probably guess what most of the songs are about and, if I really tried, I might even be able to come up with a lyric or two that he will say at some point. That's what Mikey General is and has been throughout his career and there is not a thing wrong with that. He makes a brand of extremely devoted and spiritual Roots Reggae music and, for what it may lack in the SPECTACULAR (although he has had his moments), he more than makes up in dependability. I do not have to hover over the controls with the General, I can push play and go and do whatever I like and be virtually assured that what I hear will be AT LEAST of a respectable quality and there aren't too many people who you can say that about (Ras Batch would be another really good and reliable artist). 

During our hiatus I actually really did miss writing about Mikey General's music so I was sure to take on one of his more recent releases when I got back to work in the form of his solid 2020 release, "We The People". Just a couple of years ahead of that was "Tewahedo" ["And you caan go to Zion with no corrupt heart. Clean up your words, clean up your thoughts"] which I will also have to review at some point (because it was excellent), so he's been fairly consistent in terms of releasing projects in recent times as well. Throughout his career, the UK born General has benefitted in working alongside some very talented producers and labels. He's done full albums for the likes of Xterminator (with whom he spent a great deal of his formative years), Dean Fraser, Black Scorpio, Dr. Seuss and Irie Sounds International and a few others as well. The constant fixture in many of his albums has been one Qabalah First Music, which is the label Mikey General has established and ran alongside his spiritual brother, the aforementioned Luciano. So when I noticed that he was planning on keeping up his recent release schedule of an album every couple of years and that album, "Hold A Heights" would be coming via Qabalah First, it came as no surprise at all (I'd expect his next album to do the same thing, actually. What was very fascinating, however, was when I saw who else was on board (and I'm not talking about our old friends at Zojak World Wide, who handle the digital end), the UK based Reality Shock Records. If you're at all familiar with their work, chances are that you probably the artist that first comes to mind when you think of RSR is Solo Banton. They've done a few albums with the UK based veteran - the most recent of which, 2019's "Old Ragamuffin", featured a tune by the name of 'Wickedness Trending', a combination with Mikey General (I've never been the biggest fan of Solo Banton's, but I give credit where it's due: "Old Ragamuffin" was a really good album, in retrospect) and that was not the first time Mikey General had crossed paths with Reality Shock and its head, one Kris Kemist, having previously done 'Mr. Sun' with the label, a single released back in 2015. Still, though I may be the only one on the planet who says such a thing, when I hear of Reality Shock Records, what first comes to my mind is a decade+ old and somewhat obscure album by the name of "Know Jah" from another veteran UK vocalist, Errol Bellot. Along with the fact that "Know Jah" actually contained a tune by the name of 'Reality Shock' ["Positivity attracts positivity! Negativity attracts negativity!"], IT WAS EXCELLENT! It was a grotesquely overlooked project at the turn of the decade and one which would probably make for a nice vault review if someone were inclined one day (and they just may be). Their work on that project has likely at least made it so whenever I see Reality Shock Records attached to something, I'm going to pay it a little attention. However, in teaming up with Mikey General fully like this, the label has more than done enough to get me completely engrossed in their work. If they can do well with this one, then you can call me a fan.

Welcome to A Fan's Reggae Blog. Thank you for reading! I can definitely say that, even apart from the vocals here (which, as we've already established, are exactly what you expect them to be), "Hold A Heights" is a STERLING display of music and a heavy credit goes to Kemist who did so much of the instrumentation for this record. Combine that with the fact that we quickly come to see that Mikey General is in a form even better than his normally high standards and what we have here just may be one of his finest releases to date. The title track gets us going and by the time the album reaches its end, about forty-two minutes later, it is still EASILY amongst the very best offerings you will find here. As you might be able to gather from both the title and the cover, 'Hold A Heights' is simply a piece about taking things easy and enjoying a necessary slower pace, away from the hyper-activity of every day life ["Hell ah pop down there, but I don't care"]. There're several people who I can think of being well equipped for doing a song like this (like Luciano), but Mikey General is literally PERFECT for conveying such a message and it comes BLARING through (in a subtle way, of course), placed in his hands. I wouldn't even begin to know how to measure such things as a 'hit' regarding a release like this one, but I would think the General and Reality Shock may have something special on their hands if they ever put a push behind this 'Hold A Heights'. I spoke of simplicity in regards to the first song and I'm going right back there for the second as the most charming chunks of 'Integrity', for me, are the moments where it is most streamlined and as basic as it can possibly be. 

"Doing the right thing when no one is watching -

That's integrity, yes that's integrity 

Doing the right thing, know that Jah is watching -

That's integrity

The charge of His Majesty


When you speech and your actions correspond

They will see you are guided by The Holy One

Just face the consequence

In present or past tense

Cause it no make no sense, to sit down on the fence"

YOU KNOW RIGHT FROM WRONG, TRY TO DO RIGHT MORE THAN YOU DO WRONG.... That's it! That is exactly what I took from 'Integrity'. There isn't some big reward, you don't get a trophy or a round of applause for doing what you're supposed to be doing, but you do your part in making the world a better place and maintaining it thereafter. The beautiful simplicity of the early stages of "Hold A Heights" continues with 'Loyalty', where the General speaks about the power and value of finding individuals who TRULY have your best interests in mind. I have to say that despite being the third longest track on the album, checking in at a healthy four minutes and eighteen seconds, 'Loyalty' still seems quite short to my ears. I wanted to hear more of it! In its [not actual] brevity, however, the tune makes a heavy impact while, again, registering on a very basic level and I almost feel bad that we have to have songs like this, but they're necessary and we all need to do a better job of being better people and friends to our loved ones.


Two of the genuine highlights of "Hold A Heights", 'Revolution' & 'Look Within', also just happen to be the album's two combinations, featuring the No-Maddz and Yared, respectively. The latter is EASILY one of the  best songs on this entire release and should arrive at the conclusion that it is THE best - I'm fine with that. Yared's is a name that was completely new to me, I believe, and he (in a mumbling kind of way) makes a name for himself for me. I don't know how such a delivery (which is also 'intentionally-disconnected' to a degree and I mean that in a good way) would translate to being someone who I listen to CONSTANTLY (although Vaughn Benjamin is also a mumbler), but I'd be very interested in hearing more from Yared in the future (he actually almost sounds like KOFFEE at times). Mikey General serves his typically high standard piece, this one in particular looks at the PERSONAL relationship we have with The Almighty (and I say "The Almighty" and it doesn't have to be a spiritual/religious relationship, in my opinion, because everyone believes different things. Your version of "The Almighty" could be confidence, motivation, love or a variety of different things ["THE ANSWERS YOU SEEK FOR EVERY LITTLE THING STARTS WITHIN, SO LOOK WITHIN"] it can apply to anyone ). Also, I'm going to deal with this more near closing, but 'Look Within' SOUNDS EXQUISITE. The riddim here is probably the finest "Hold A Heights" has to offer and that is a GIANT deal in this instance; and as the longest tune on the album by some fourteen seconds, 'Look Within' feels like it. It is an all-encompassing GORGEOUS display of music. The delightfully old school vibed 'Revolution' brings in No-Maddz (or at least half of it), who I am familiar with, making for a very compelling sound alongside the General's. The No-Maddz background is general arts and poetry, specifically, and it shows in a dynamic offering here on this sizable call for change. 

"This is political

Di politician dem ah move too hypocritical

Mi did think Jamaica fi run democratical

Is like it autocratical

You feel di country woulda better if it theocratical

Dem waan fi execute di practical and dem no theoretical

Dem waan improve di government

And dem comment no logical 

AND IF YOU BORN INNA DI GHETTO POVERTY AUTOMATICAL"

....I mean... DAMN! Just "DAMN", that's all I have to say about that (I mean.... with all of that other stuff that I said before that). Both of the combinations here are outstanding and they're exactly what they should be. When you bring in guesting artists, they should bring a new element to the vibes and the full experience, without destroying the tone and that is precisely what No-Maddz and Yared contribute to "Hold A Heights" and I still haven't told you about the best tune!


My single favourite tune on "Hold A Heights" is...... probably.... okay, I'm going to pick the track that was my original favourite (even though I may've changed my mind), the MASSIVE 'Praise HIM'. I'm going to give this one an ever so slight head over the next selection I'm going to tell you about in a minute because of the unique sentiment behind; the other one is far more straight forward. On 'Praise Him', Mikey General says that despite a very long career dedicated to lifting the name of His Majesty, he STILL feels that he needs to do more! If anyone has fulfilled on that front, he would be one of them and if he is lacking there (and he brilliantly confesses that he believes that he is), then maybe the biggest sentiment behind 'Praise Him' is that we all need to praise HIM more. The later drop which gave me a cause to pause in declaring 'Praise HIM' the project's finest, 'Call Jah Name' is pretty flawless in its own right. If I sat down and started listing tunes that are similarly vibed to 'Call Jah Name' and I came up with two thousand of them, I wouldn't be shocked at all. It's not going to TELL you anything you've never heard and it isn't even going to tell you something that you have heard from a unique perspective. HOWEVER, with all of that being the case, 'Call Jah Name' STUNNING! It is such a beautiful body of work and just because you've heard it before it does not at all blunt the message the General brings to any degree. There is a point here, during the second chorus or so when things really pick up, where 'Call Jah Name' hits another sonic level in my opinion and it maintains that peak for the balance of things. They're interchangeable in terms of quality and between 'Praise HIM' and 'Call Jah Name', Mikey General delivers a bona fide master class of honouring HIM. Things continue on brightly with 'Can't Leave It Alone', the very clever obligatory ganja tune on "Hold A Heights", where the singer outlines a nearly lifelong relationship and fascination with the herb ["I've been smoking herbs from I was thirteen...."] ["dem gimme a draw and mi start to cough. Take another draw and mi start to laugh"]. He sings this one almost like he's talking about a loved one or an event that was precious to him and you fullness of how much he respects it and the role it has served in his life. A similarly vibed tune actually comes later in the form of 'Nah Stop Sing'. Where on 'Can't Leave It Alone' the General dealt with his love of ganja, 'Nah Stop Sing' finds him speaking on the link he has had with music during his life.

"Nah stop sing, mi ah praise The King

Nah stop sing, mi ah do mi thing

Nah stop sing, mi ah praise The King

It's my living

It's a blessing

Nah stop sing, mi ah praise The King

Nah stop sing, mi ah do mi thing

Nah stop sing, mi ah praise my King

Yes, I love what I'm doing 


Over forty years I've been doing Reggae music

I DIDN'T HAVE TO CHOOSE IT

I WAS BORN TO DO IT

From school and church choir to Dancehall

AND THEN FARI CALLED, SO I LEFT IT ALL!"

I REALLY get the feeling that Mikey General woke up in a great mood the day when he voiced 'Nah Stop Sing'. It isn't overly emotional, but he just comes off as being in a really good mood and it's a grateful one when you listen to what he says. He's reflecting on all that he has accomplished in his career and the people that he's met along the way ["From Vikings to Coxsone; and Coxsone to Saxon; the people they would hear mi sing and say 'General gwan do ya thing!' "] and just how happy he is to have found music. Some people live their entire lives without REALLY finding something that interests them, Mikey General found his thing very early on in life and we're all better off because of it (it isn't too dissimilar to another recent record from the General called 'It Choose Me' ["I get my blessings through the music. It choose me is not me choose it!"].

I've come to relate 'Love' and 'Get It Off Your Chest' to one another because they both seem to get off to somewhat awkward beginnings before ascending into LOVELY compositions. The former almost sounds like it begins in the middle of the song. The riddim is already up and going and General is good and warmed up, sounding as if he's already put in a verse or two. When it does actually settle down a bit, 'Love' has an almost Jazz-like feel to it and, based on the sound, alone, I'm not surprised that it was chosen as a single for "Hold A Heights". It's also very basic and falls in line with the running line of simplicity and CLEAN themes echoed throughout. For its part, 'Get It Off Your Chest' also has a start sounding like it comes from later on in the tune. This one, however, quickly finds a more more laidback groove and ends up being an even stronger offering that the quite robust 'Love'. This is an excellent song really looking at COMMUNICATION and how healthy it is and how unhealthy it can be to have things on your mind which, for one reason or another, you keep to yourself. Doing that can be bad for your mood and make you act out in ways even you may not even know the cause of. It's just a bad practice to have and one which Mikey Generally, wonderfully, is doing his best to eradicate.

I've alluded to it a few times (and flat-out said it once) already, but I do have to stress just how finely produced "Hold A Heights" is. The instrumentation THROUGHOUT borders on spectacular and crosses over a few times as well. I could not help myself in the case of the album's closer, 'Look Within' (featuring a GOLDEN saxophone played by Ray Carless), but you have others such as 'Revolution', the pulsing 'Integrity', 'Call Jah Name', 'Nah Stop Sing' (also featuring the work of Carless on sax), 'Praise Him'..... the album only has eleven songs and I pretty much mentioned half of them there and the other half is very good also. Any of fan of modern Roots Reggae and most fans of the music in its old school form will be DELIGHTED by the sonic appeal of "Hold A Heights". I said how the song 'Loyalty' almost seems short; but there're others shorter which seem longer actually and are these very fulfilling moments. I also should mention veteran Bajan vocalist, Indra Rudder [bka Indra], who sings an outstanding complimentary backing vocal on almost every song on "Hold A Heights". She's also made songs for Reality Shock Record with a very recent effort, 'Shine On You', arguably being her very best. A major credit goes to Kris Kemist and all players of instruments for making "Hold A Heights" one of the best albums, MUSICALLY, in Reggae in 2022.... and it is not even a question!
Overall, I'm going to resist the temptation (for now) to try and place it in a direct ranking, but what I will say is that "Hold A Heights" IMMEDIATELY becomes on of the finest album releases of Mikey General's entire career. That's a very powerful and interesting thing to have happen at such a stage in his career, especially considering that there was no change. Any fan Mikey General has made with his work up until this point will hear this release and think it 'business as usual' for the singer, but, perhaps, better well done. I don't want to go too far, but maybe with Kris Kemist and Reality Shock Records, he has found something similar to what Mark Wonder found in Oneness Records: Just a producer with whom he has a SUPREME level of chemistry. Someday I'm sure Mikey General will make another album -- he may be working on one right now -- but I'm hopeful that someday his musical travels will lead him back to RSR because a sequel to "Hold A Heights" could be SPECIAL. Until the next time, whoever it may be with, Mikey General will continue to ply his trade and do so as simply one of the most dependable names in Reggae music. If you need GOOD, SOLID Roots Reggae music, he makes music for you. Need something even more than that? Check "Hold A Heights". Very well done. 

Rated: 4.45/5
Reality Shock Records & Qabalah First Music
2022
CD + Digital

No comments:

Post a Comment