Saturday, January 21, 2023

What I'm Listening To: Dis Year!

"Rightful Ruler" by Earl Sixteen [Zion High Productions - 2022]

First up today is the latest from our old friends at Zion High Productions and the Zion I Kings as they recently pushed a more than solid EP from venerable Jamaican vocalist, Earl Sixteen, "Rightful Ruler". The eight tracks are comprised of four actual tunes with dubbed out version of each tune and, as you expect from both artist and label/s, it is EXCELLENT! For my listening 'habits' Earl Sixteen has generally been someone who I don't find myself listening to nearly enough as, virtually every time I do dive into his work, I am greatly impressed. "Rightful Ruler" is definitely not an exception as it comes out swinging with its mighty initial effort, the downright ROYAL sounding 'Jah Earth'. Subsequent offerings, both the title track and 'Take Some Time', definitely keep the vibes high, but I have to say that taking top honours on "Rightful Ruler" has to be 'Find A Way' which features Mr. Williamz in a golden form. 

"Well natty dread deh yeah fi step it

It no really matta anyway you waan tek it

System - a just to how dem set it

500 years, Binghi man nah forget it

Up inna di hills pon di farm where wi headed

Dung inna di city, yow a pure blood shedded

Marcus Garvey did dun come set it

And Earl Sixteen just ah sing out di message

Watch ya now-

I & I ah express it

Teach di ghetto youths, mek dem know seh wi blessed

Love an unity, wi haffi expect it

Don't let di wickedness get embedded

Certain type a thinking, Jah know wi haffi left it

Certain type a teaching, wi nah accept it

Youth inna di ghetto dem call mi aggressive

And then ah talk bout wi non-progressive

That is why -


I've got to find my way back home

And no more will I roam

Cause it's been so long-

We've been down inna babylon

And there's no place for the Rastaman"

'Find A Way' was probably amongst the best... ten or so tunes that I heard from ANYONE in 2022 and, for what it was, "Rightful Ruler" was DEFINITELY one of tehe year's strongest EP's altogether as well. 

"Look To The East" by Junior Campbell [Love Injection Production]

Quietly, one of my favourite labels over the past couple of decades or so has been Love Injection Production from out of the UK, as they've provided some well sturdy releases from the likes of Turbulence, Everton Blender, Mykal Rose and others, so when they do work, I try to pay attention. In early 2023, Rowen Johnson and company are back and work (twice, actually) with the debut album (I THINK) from sweet singing Jamaican vocalist, Junior Campbell, "Look To The East". Best known as the song of the legendary Cornell Campbell, Junior is set to build a legacy of his own and, judging from the early returns off of this one, he's doing quite well for himself. Along with the lovely eponymous piece, "Look To The East" contains a few other big tunes such as 'Give Jah the Glory', 'Nah Lef' and a pair of covers of his father's catalogue, 'Stars' and 'Boxing'. I'm still working on this one, but it sounds quite pleasant so far so definitely take it out for a listen, yourself.


{Note: Love Injection also has a new album out for Glen Washington, "Mr. Washington"}

"The Message Album" by Ginjah [Black Metro Music]

It was my intention originally to review "The Message Album", the latest body of work from big-voiced veteran singer from out of Hanover, Ginjah but, after listening to it quite a bit, I didn't think much of it, actually and I didn't have much passion for it (and, maybe it's just me, but this album seemed to have some type of 'disconnect' to it. There were several songs which seemed like the vocals and riddim weren't exactly in synch). A month or so later, while things still haven't changed on that front altogether (I'd be shocked if I ended up ever reviewing this album), it has found its way back on my players. I never thought it to be BAD to any degree, there just... wasn't much of anything in the way of SPECIAL for better or for worse. That isn't to say there wasn't good material here, however, and tunes such as 'I Love Papa', definitely 'Soul Lady' and the single best tune here, 'Jah Jah Real' were and remain something more than average. 

Tiwony [7 Seals Records]


Sickeningly, it's been over eight years from the last time Achis Reggae favourite, Tiwony, released a full length album. That set came, late 2014's "Roots Rebel", came via one 7 Seals Records so, as you might imagine, I got very interested when I saw that the same label (which, I think, is his own) had recently put out a pair of singles, the anchoring 'Rumours Of War' and 'Don't You Worry'. The former, vibed (and written, I THINK) by veteran Randy Valentine is a GORGEOUS social commentary, while the latter -- as its title would suggest -- is more of a love song with a very interesting pacing and arrangement of the delivery. It's also a very FUN vibe and carries a lot of POSITIVE energy. You know what I went to thinking when I saw two new singles from the same label in relatively short order (about five weeks in between their releases).... and it was true, as our research reveals that coming soon (maybe in February) is the brand new album from Tiwony on 7 Seals Records, "Frequency" and I cannot fucking wait!

The Bank Of Devon Riddim [Twelve Tribes Entertainment]

This one, I've forgotten to remember quite a few times when doing one of these... probably because I don't LOVE it, but it does have one tune which absolutely kills me. Biggup DJ Jahmar who sends his latest creation (might not be true anymore, actually), via Twelve Tribes Entertainment, the all kinds of interesting Bank Of Devon Riddim. If you've read these things to any degree, then you can probably guess what type of track this is although it is a bit different. The BOD, though definitely Dancehall, has an unusual and almost Arabian sounding vibes to it. It makes for a pretty good backdrop for Red Fox (who well impresses on his 'Badda'), TrapShotta Rally and Kiprich. HOWEVER. what remains of the riddim is put to the sword as WASP DESTROYS it with his track, 'Bob Marley' ["Man a rockstar like Bob Marley"].

"Mi shot di sheriff, but mi neva shot di deputy

Wi set trend, dem send threat, caan get to me

Never lef mi guitar, be careful how you step to me

UNDERESTIMATE ME, NOW DEM GYAL AH OPEN SESAME

Inna overdrive, put in work, lef a legacy

Bunny a di Wailer, Peter Tosh a wid di energy

Deadly combination: Hennessy mixed with enemy

Gal ah set di ting, Tuff Gong a di remedy


Bob Marley

Bob Marley

Bob Marley

Man a rockstar like Bob Marley"


"Reggae Max: Anthony B" [Jet Star - 2002]

And in our 'blast from the past' section this time - I've been listening to quite a bit of Anthony B lately. Though he didn't have a new album for us last year, he did deliver a fairly strong steady set of singles and I am well looking forward to what is to come in 2023. As is my habit, when you give me good NEW stuff to enjoy, I go mining! As of late, I have landed on this wonderful little gem from more than two decades ago now. Once upon a time, when Jet Star was in full swing, they had a very useful complation series by the name of Reggae Max. The were used on a variety of different names; from the legends, Dennis Brown, Marcia Griffiths and Gregory Isaacs; up to the currents such as Beres Hammond, Lloyd Brown and Glen Washington. A few artists even had two installments of Reggae Max such as Sizzla Kalonji, Beenie Man and Luciano. It was just a HEALTHY series (and I didn't even mention Garnet Silk, Peter Gunnigale, Alton Ellis etc.). In 2002, Anthony B would receive the RM treatment and his 18 track set would be amongst the very best of the contemporary run of Reggae Max' existence. The tune that I have focused on most from this one has been the BRILLIANT 'Me Dem A Ban', but this album also contained about ten full-on damaging, conquering tunes. 'Waan Back', 'Bobo Cloth', 'All Jah Children', 'God Above Everything', 'Universal Struggle', 'Damage', '$20 Coin' were all on Anthony B's Reggae Max album - still worth digging up after all of these years.

{Note: The digital version of this album has sixteen tracks, the physical edition had eighteen. The two differences are 'Mr. Heartless' and 'More Life'}
{Note 2: Who loves you! Who has you covered!}

No comments:

Post a Comment