Saturday, May 13, 2023

ON A HILL!

Okay so, I meant to do this quite awhile back but.... you know.... stuff happens. Regardless, it's never too late to talk about a big tune and the one we have here today is TRULY MASSIVE. 'Hard Fete' would net the great Bunji Garlin his second overall Trinidad Road March crown and his first solo (because the first, 'Famalay' was with Machel Montano & Skinny Fabulous) and deservedly so. For most of the Carnival season my greatest love was an absolutely sterling set by Nailah Blackman and the aforementioned Skinny Fabulous, the returning 'Come Home' and, though it would it take a moment, 'Hard Fete' would, via crowbar, ultimately usurp it both in my mind and, clearly, on the road as well. 

'HARD FETE' IS PROBLEMS! There is something truly fucked up with this tune and I cannot stop listening to it. It is slowly entering the conversation of my favourite Soca songs ever (and I don't even want to begin to think of what else is there but, of course, 'Expose' by El-A-Kru remains around) ["EXPOOOOOOOOOOOSE!"]. Known for his lyrical prowess amidst the total chaos which he provides, Garlin utters a single line here which destroys me every single time I hear it. 

"I NEVER COME HERE FOR NO STAND UP!"

It is destructive. It is conquering and it makes a point that there is work to be done! There can be no room for idleness and you will find none with this madness! It is infectious. I have been addicted to it for months and "months" from now if the situation is the same, I will not be surprised. Good day!

No comments:

Post a Comment