Thursday, September 7, 2023

Days Gone: A review of Simma by Beenie Man

Divergence. Time waits for no one and were I ever of the thought that I was in any way special and an exception, each and every day it becomes more and more apparent - my anciency. Sure, it takes a bit longer to get out of bed in the morning (the internal conversation I have with myself is hilarious at times as I attempt to convince myself to do something as simple as STANDING UP) but you expected that to happen; what does come as a larger surprise, however, is that your taste on certain things 'change'. Well, they don't actually change it's more like everything else changes around them and they kind of stay the same so, at least in some cases, what you remember as being 'right' or 'standard' (whatever the hell that means), becomes dated or "old school" (....which is simply a more genteel way of saying... dated). Obviously one of the most consistent ways in which you are forced to encounter this old drift that you go through is in various forms of entertainment such as.... oh I don't know.... let's just say music for today! I've been writing about music for a very long time and I've been around long enough to have experienced more than one generational shift. There were and still are sounds that I pick up on and when I hear them I will give them a certain designation so that my reader will know that what they should expect to hear is an echo from an older generation of making music. It's always been like that and if I'm still writing in another twenty years, It will STILL be like that. HOWEVER, in my unawareness and naivete I don't know that I ever envisioned what was coming for me as particular PRIME sounds that I once just cavalierly wrote about and perhaps took for granted have gone missing to a large degree. Like wha... DANCEHALL! My beloved infectious BOUNCE (Roots Reggae has that charming one-drop. Dancehall has (HAD) that two-drop and you know exactly what I'm talking about) that was and remains CANDY to my damn ears has seemingly been banished to a land very, very far away and if anyone can find it, please let me know. I'd like to go and live there before the end of my days. I could give you certain examples (literally EVERYTHING) but I don't want to and it's more fun today to give you a very perplexing 'anti-example' because what we take a look at today is something from someone who has reached a level in [actual] Dancehall music which has been virtually untouched by all but a supremely gifted select few. Had you told me that the year would be 2023 and the great Sizzla Kalonji -- still my favourite artist of all time -- would be at his norm in steadily releasing albums still but they would be largely devoid of actual Reggae music, I wouldn't have cared because I wouldn't have believed you. Had you told me that the same year would see a release from the Dancehall's longtime reigning monarch which would be extraordinarily light on [actual] Dancehall music, I may've believed you and it probably wouldn't have bothered me that much because I would have expected its followup to be forthcoming soon.

Well folks, that ain't the case. It's been SEVEN years since the legendary Beenie Man dropped a full new studio album (2016's okay "Unstoppable") and I think it had been another seven years prior to that one. I don't feel like doing the math, but we're at a point where the artist has done just two or three albums or so across the better part of the last two decades. So the moments when he does, at least for me, are VERY big deals and I'll go into it more in just a second. Furthermore, of course Beenie's name will always be connected to that of one Bounty Killer and I don't even want to begin to get into the depressing history of Bounty's new album releases, so when either of these two PILLARING artists of the genre give us the opportunity to celebrate them, that is exactly what we should do and do so in full bloom..... but damn I wish they made it a bit more familiar.
Beenie Man now brings forth his own long announced and eagerly anticipated latest creation, "Simma". If you're like me, the very first time you heard just the album's name it got you very excited because it reminded you of an older era (it reminded you of 'Who Am I') and the thought popped in your head that it may be a set with a focal point looking 'back' to that time, musically. Any hopes of that were destroyed when I heard it mentioned that "Simma" would be coming with a more 'worldly' or 'international' vibe (or however they described it) but I was still sitting there thinking HOW THE HELL CAN YOU NAME AN ALBUM SIMMA AND HAVE IT NOT BE A DANCEHALL ALBUM! I know that's ridiculous and maybe it's just me, but that was my thought process. "Simma" comes through Beenie's own MD Music Group, a first but not an unexpected one. Previously, his non major work came courtesy (in some way) via VP Records. Even "Undisputed" was a project distributed through VPAL but, at least as far as I can tell, the label has had nothing to do with this one (although I'd actually be a little surprised if I'm NOT wrong about that one, eventually) and it's all been left to Moses Davis and company. If you recall, there was also a 357 Records, which did "Undisputed" which was also Beenie's but has, at least presumably, made way for MDMG. Of course, Beenie is afforded some of the finest maestros in the game and production on the new record comes from some of the genre's greatest creators including the likes of Tony Kelly, Suku, Walshie Fire and others, including even Jeremy Harding. Along with that, something we'll detail out in just a second is the TRULY RIDICULOUS number of featured vocalists "Simma" features. By my surely incorrect count, five of its tracks feature Beenie and only Beenie, alone; that leaves FIFTEEN which find some form of accompanying artist joining Beenie Man on the tune. It's not something that I love and it is a practice which, for some reason, I most closely associate with Hip-Hop but, as I said, apparently  they didn't have me's in mind when putting "Simma" together. Also not unexpected and GREAT to see has been the anticipation for this one ahead of its release date. I don't know who started it and I don't care enough to look it up, but you're doing a disservice to "Simma" and Beenie Man's enduring popularity if you do not mention the 'Simma Challenge' which found people walking up to and calling others and simply saying "Sim simma" to see if they could finish the timeless lyric -- "who got di keys to my bimma" -- and, as far as I can tell, the success rate was extremely high with only, predictably, much younger people failing the challenge (nothing wrong with that). That was lovely to see and I also saw that news of the challenge had reached Beenie Man and he was very excited about it and hoped to see it continue and it has. It's been very nice to see this album receive this level of attention ahead of its due date because it also speaks to the level of lasting fame and the reputation of the critically acclaimed Davis. That reputation has been earned, however, and all of the work which has gone into building it is done - it speaks nothing to the quality of what comes after it and this is the portion of the review where I come up with some cool way to say I'm about to talk about the actual music and here is me spending the next ninety minutes or so talking about the twenty songs which comprise "Simma".

I intentionally kept alluding to something from very early on here next to something that I stated clearly. On one hand, as I said, the sound of "Simma" is extremely varied and 'worldly'. It's not what I was looking forward to and, for me, that's unfortunate. HOWEVER, with that being said, just listening through the record - Beenie Man is in a pretty good form. He has not lost a step at all lyrically or in his delivery despite recently hitting half a century in age. I should also mention that, at twenty tracks and seventy minutes in length, obviously "Simma" is entirely too damn long regardless of how good it is, but I can honestly say that "boring" is not something I associate with it despite the album's obesity. The first CHUNK of Beenie Man's brand new album, "Simma", is our title track which has to be one of the most disappointing from my point of view, although the actual song is pretty good and one of the finest on the record named for it. I thought, at the very least, 'Simma' would be this magical old school Dancehall and it wasn't, of course. What it is, instead is a very smooth, kind of R&Bish/Poppish type of vibe and it isn't a bad tune at all. I may even go in fact to say that it is one of the finest songs on the album altogether, but you know where my head was on this one. I may've had similar hopes on the second tune, 'King', briefly, but when I saw who was on board on that one, such feelings quickly disintegrated. The very first combination here features contributions from English trio, Ms. Banks (who I do know), Backroad Gee and Teeway (neither of whom I'm familiar with). This is a VERY heavy and aggressive Hip-Hop tune and, for the most part, I don't like it at all. HOWEVER, as I alluded to, what you will find throughout "Simma" are demonstrations of Beenie Man being at the height of his powers and the first blast of that comes roaring through on 'King'. 

"I am the man with the plan
Hit song long time before Wu Tang Clan
Long before Red Man & Method Man
Inside di studio mi ah set di gameplan 
Smoke weed like Cheech & Chong
Lyrics inna mi brain and book inna mi hand
Days pon toppa days mi ah write hit song
So di whole world give mi a brand dat 
[I'M DI KING!]
Mi a di man
Longtime mi ready fi every woman
Gyal dem ah bawl for di wickedest slam
Dem waan di strong, no weaker man
Properly sexed and di money be done
Dem gal yah nah waan no Christian 
CLOSE YOUR EYES AND CLASP YOUR HANDS
YAH GIRLFRIEND GONE WID BEENIE MAN"

It comes off with force (virtually everything in the tune does), but effortlessly at the same time. He could have done this well on his way to sleep or the first thing in the morning and it is gorgeous. The next track up had me far more interested in the accompanying voices as 'Sharpshooter' brings in Nigerian artist Patoranking, the talented Giggs and the always compelling Busy Signal (who is one of my favourite artists these days and has been for the better part of the past decade or so, despite the fact that we do not talk about his work very much). 'Sharpshooter' is fun and it fits somewhere more firmly in the spectrum of Dancehall than its two predecessors. It also features some solid wordplay as you would imagine with such a lineup of lyricists. Rounding out the first batch of songs from "Simma" is a pair of impressive pieces (for different reasons) which feature our star all alone (and only two such tunes can be found in the album's final fifteen offerings). The first, 'Chop Suey', was rather strange the first few times I heard it (and it stil is, yep) because it almost sounds like two different songs going at once because the chorus changes so much. I do enjoy the odd vibes of this one though and as it goes on, particularly during its latter stages, Beenie absolutely shines. The second of these, 'Up Deh', hits for another reason. The sound here isn't anything special (I'd probably call it another one as Hip-Hop; although being more on the lighter side than 'King', easily) and even lyrically it isn't ranking amongst the best of "Simma", but I've convinced myself that 'Up Deh' featured very little in the way of preparation on the part of Beenie Man and he just vibed his way through it and even if the man, himself, told me differently, that's what I'm sticking with! In that regards, 'Up Deh' (for what it is) is nearly special. 

Of course you didn't think we'd get through this album (or seemingly any other one that I review) without an appearance from Stonebwoy and he joins the fun, along with a returning Backroad Gee for 'Zimm'. If I'm 'Sharpshooter' "fun" then I need to come up with a stronger adjective for 'Zimm' because I've had a lot of damn good times with this one and I'm sure I'm not the only one. 'Zimm' rests easily with the class of this project and it's probably one of the best tunes with Stonebwoy's work that I've heard to date (which is saying a lot considering how often we run into him) (incidentally, if you're interested, Stonebwoy set forth "5th Dimension", his own brand new album for 2023, back in April) (more on that in just a second). Longtime Beenie Man collaborator, American R&B songstress, Mya, makes her presence known on another tune with a title which got me excited when I first saw it, 'Docta'. The first time these two linked, several hundred years ago, was for a remix of Beenie's classic 'Girls Dem Sugar' which has gone onto be a classic in its own right. 'Docta' doesn't reach anywhere near those levels to my opinion but it was nice to hear these two vibe together again and I wouldn't be at all shocked if they ran it back at least one more time in the future. Dexta Daps (who, coincidentally, also appears on the aforementioned "5th Dimension" from Stonebwoy) lends a hand on the relatively dirty 'How Deep' (which is about exactly what you're thinking it might be about) ["When mi ask her 'how deep?' Bout nine inch long. She seh 'don't dweet'"] and.... what can I say? I don't hate this song. I like it a little largely on the strength of just how extremely BASIC it is. It isn't Dancehall at all in sound, but there's something very familiar about it that my ears grabbed on to; but I'm not going crazy with it. There are far better tunes on "Simma", but 'How Deep' has stuck with me, at least for the moment. One of the biggest guests, the oft-devastating Shenseea lights up 'Fitness Instructor', which also pulls back Ms. Banks. Pretty much everything I said about 'How Deep' applies to this one, although, from every registerable angle, 'Fitness Instructor' is considerably better. As I've said in the past, you may see and hear Shenseea and come away thinking one thing about her, but that woman is capable, at her best, of HUMILIATING the spoken word. She toys with it! It is to the degree that it comes through in almost everything i hear from her and, for her part, Ms. Banks also sits on a hill of talent which is more pronounced here than on 'King', in my opinion. When I ran through the tracklist of "Simma", my eyes gravitated toward 'Hel-eva Bumpa' moreso than in the direction of any other offering. Over the past few months my ABSOLUTE favourite two songs have been 'Hard Fete' and more recently 'Entering Greenzland' and what they share in common is that they are both works of the  incomparable Bunji Garlin who once again links with Beenie Man on this song. Previously, this pack of prolific poets paired on a couple of tunes to my knowledge with the high-water mark being the remix of Bunji's 'Plenty Gyal' ["DANCE MUST HAAAAAAAAAAVE, PLENTY GYALLLLL. IT'S NOT A MALEBOX! NOT AT ALLLLLLLLLL!"]. 'Hel-eva Bumpa' isn't on that level, but it is all sorts of entertaining and it reaches a place which befits the two MONSTROUS talents starring on it atop Suku's GRRRRR riddim.

Hoodcelebrityy lends Beenie a hand as he attempts to 'Let Go' and does so in a really strong way. This one lays claim to being one of the most Dancehall (definitely of a NEO variety, but that KNOCK is infectious courtesy of a master in Tony Kelly) of any on "Simma" IN SPURTS a quality which, alone, got my attention. It is also impressive on the lyrical side and has a bit of actual substance - all of which help see 'Let Go' ranking very highly here. 'Put It On Me' grabs up Relevant and the very gifted Jahfrican but it's kind of average for me and a set whose absence would not have hurt "Simma" on any level. It's nice to listen to, but there're more pleasant spins and it doesn't really bring anything different for me. Beenie goes solo for the first time in quite awhile on another mediocre (and possibly slightly below) piece, the Seanizzle helmed 'New Money'. Another rather strange sounding track, I'm thinking in a few months I may not remember much about 'New Money' at all and, again, you knew just by looking at it that "Simma" was carrying too much weight and both 'Put It On Me' and 'New Money' are examples of that. They aren't bad and if they were just singles released on riddims no one would pay them much attention (and they may actually do better than likely getting lost on an album), but appearing here they both feel like FILLER. The proverbial ship is righted ever so slightly with a good look from co-captain Cee Gee during 'Heavy On The Grades'. The riddim on the record doesn't do anything for me and it gets lost during matters here, but the back-and-forth between Beenie Man & Cee Gee is, at times, exquisite, which highlights it, easily. You almost wish they tried to do more as 'Heavy On The Grades' is the album's shortest track... I could listen to this again. When I saw that Shaggy (who was also on "5th Dimension") was also on board "Simma" I got an idea of an easy type of vibe between two legends and.... the sun even shines on a dog's ass occasionally, because I got one right. That is precisely what 'Good Like Gold' is. You can't rightly call such a song "filler" due to the level of name value such a piece brings, but 'Good Like Gold' isn't very good and it isn't some super combination that you may have been hoping for either.

The final quintet of tracks from "Simma" features a few more very large names aiding 'the docta' and it also features my single favourite tune altogether here. That distinction does not go to the decent giving of thanks that is 'Blessings'. It's almost comical (and dirty) what Beenie takes a moment to give praises for but to each their own ["Wi come yah so fi mek some money and f**k some p***y and dweet pon our own time. You love Fadda God and bun badmind - sing di punchline"]. I grew to enjoy 'Blessings' but it took some time and I'm thinking it will actual succeed in finding an audience, but we'll see about that. Fittingly following 'Blessings' is 'Prayer' which gives us both Charly Black and Louie Culture (always love to see the Ganga Lee on a new tune) which I LOVED. This one DEFINITELY did hve some old-school vibes circling around it and Beenie Man & Louie Culture were perfect for the moment and Black shines as well. 'Prayer' is stellar and a fine way to end things (nice contribution from the great Dean Fraser as well). 'Fun In The Sun' most certainly is not 'old-school' at all and it finds Beenie Man coming through with those who have NEXT (or NOW) in Popcaan and Dre Island. If you follow the course (this is my way of saying that i should have written them in order and I'm almost done so I don't finish going back and changing it) with this one leading onto 'Blessings' and then 'Prayer' you have a changeup trio at the very tail of "Simma" with all three bringing in some very necessary substance. 'Fun In The Sun' may just be the strongest lyrically of all three as it says to take advantage of what we have and stop bring negativity of all varieties into otherwise potentially beautiful situations. 

"But if wi all work together wi can help each other
A nuh dem, alone, wi fi tell 'BLACK LIVES MATTER'
Wi no racist, mi no believe inna colour
A di hard work you perform mi admire
Every rich ghetto youth fi yo ghetto you be a pillar 
YESTERDAY YOU WAS A KILLER BUT TODAY YOU IS A PILLAR"

Sean Paul not only lends his vocals to 'Supa Star' but his Dutty Rock Productions also takes production credits for the tune that also calls upon the smooth voice of Anthony Red Rose. This one mines a classic riddim and respect goes to both Beenie and Red Rose but Sean Paul threatens to steal his own show completely here courtesy of his thrilling offering. When at his best, Sean Paul has this almost robotic type of delivery (which used to draw frequent comparisons to Super Cat back in da day)  that never misses a beat and I've always enjoyed and still, obviously, do to this day. I got the feeling that there was much chemistry between these three as well and while I don't think they did (seems unlikely), I would hope that all three got a chance to spend a little time around one another in recording 'Supa Star' (how crazy is it that Sean Paul is actually a little older than Beenie Man??). And I've saved the best for last to give myself time to change my mind because I thought that I might. I've never been the biggest fan of Morgan Heritage for some reason I either can't or just don't feel like explaining but at least for the three minutes and twenty-eight seconds of 'Dem Want More' they've made a fan out of me as has Tony Kelly (he didn't have to work very hard though. He never does) (Man's a genius). I'm tired of writing so what I will say is this: You listen to this song. 
I've spent this review whining and complaining about the absence of something which is found in abundance on 'Dem Want More' and I never thought it would have come with lift with from the Morgans and they're right... I do want more. What a sweet, SWEET sound!
Overall, "Simma" is just too damn long. It just is but besides that, though it isn't very much of what I was hoping to hear; in an effort to just judge it by what I hear, it most certainly isn't BAD by any means. It's fun! There are so many interesting musical moments found throughout this release and, again, just based on what it is here (and ignoring what I was hoping for) lovers of many different genres and styles will find something to appreciate and, potentially, LOVE from "Simma" and you just KNOW a Grammy nomination (and potential win) is forthcoming as well. We find a certified legend in Beenie Man still in a wonderful form and showing no evidence of slowing down. Still, in my ridiculous old-agedness I can't help but think that, regrettably, when I think back to this album years from now what is likely to stick with me isn't so much what it was, but infinitely moreso what it WAS NOT..... damn I miss Dancehall. 

Rated: 3.25/5
MD Music Group
2023

No comments:

Post a Comment