Friday, September 11, 2026

It's Still Burning: A review of World Of Love by Anthony B

Specifics. After a particular artist has been around long enough and established themselves at a certain level, we, as fans, begin to do certain things with their music outside of just enjoying it. It is the source of both discussions and arguments alike where the topic goes to things such as biggest hits and prime years and such. It can be interesting as hell and it's been fun analyzing in certain reviews and articles I've written through the years as well. Today, I'm going to not do either but, instead, jump somewhere in between because when I first laid ears on the album for today, I began hearing certain things that reminded me of certain others and I got a REALLY good feeling heading into it. When you talk about Anthony B, he most certainly has reached a place in his career where that conversation has long begun; to the point where I did consider doing a feature on him about my favourite tunes (and I may still someday) but ultimately talked myself out of it because I thought that the idea of 'Anthony B's Greatest Hits' has kind of been worn a little. Such things are not hard to find. What I want to look at today, in particular, however, are albums. Like his equally legendary peer, Sizzla Kalonji, Anthony B has been incredibly prodigious in putting out albums during his career. Though things have slowed in recent years (for everyone), once upon a time not long ago, he could be counted on deliver multiple sets every year for multiple producers and multiple labels and a brief look back into his catalogue can reveal certain things about Anthony B when he's in form. One of my personal favourite releases that he had which probably didn't get the respect that it deserved was a BEAUTIFUL album from over twenty years ago by the name of "My Hope". I bring that set up not just because I absolutely love it and I'm still trying to get the word out that it was excellent but, again, it went through my mind when I really began to take in Anthony B's latest creation that we're going to talk about today and it got me to thinking about exactly what works for Anthony B during the best of his album releases. He most certainly is not perfect (neither am I) (neither are You) and a trip through his vault will reveal an album or two that aren't the greatest (like "Untouchable") (and "Rasta Love") but when that man is ON, there is a certain, infectious BOUNCE to his music. It is an exciting, freeing brand of Roots music which manages to deliver the more 'standard' and cursory elements of the genre at the same time. "World Of Love" is that type of an album. 

What type, exactly??? What I really want to say about Anthony B at his best is that HE SOUNDS LIKE HE'S HAVING A REALLY GOOD TIME. Even if you go into tunes like 'the classics' in 'Fire Pon Rome', 'Raid Di Barn', 'Waan Back' and others, that's a quality that's present there as well. The man is having fun while slaying oppressors and chanting for The Almighty and that isn't a trait that is always present in everyone (I wouldn't necessarily say that is AT ALL the case for Sizzla at his best, for example) so it stands out to me when I do hear it. It also seems as if he, purposely, makes the type of music in the studio that he would enjoy performing in a live capacity. I hesitate to say it because he does touch some very serious topics but Anthony B almost has a 'playfulness' to his sound at its best ["What dat dem ah do? What dat dem ah does? Nowhere dem come from, no know where dem was"] and, obviously, I mean that as a compliment (and "playfulness" probably isn't the best word (but I'm sticking to it) easiness or effortlessness are likely more fitting). Fortunately, it seems as if the actual process of making music and not just singing songs (although that too) is a grind that Anthony B enjoys because a number of his albums and MOST of the good ones feature a version of the Trelawny native who is not only in a good form but seemingly a good mood as well. "My Hope" was a great demonstration of this, as were the likes of "Black Star", "Higher Meditation" and "Life Over Death" to not go too far back.

2023

Another snapshot of a fun-having Anthony B would come on his most recent release, 2023's stellar "Bread & Butter". For me, that album stands as a culmination of a string of excellent work for the chanter. The time just prior to its release (and including the actual material that would appear on it, if I recall correctly) featured some really excellent output and it put Anthony B's name near the head of a list of someone who I was REALLY looking forward to making a new full release. What resulted most certainly did not disappoint as "B&B" stood up as one of his finest bodies of work in yea... probably a decade at that point if you really think about it (looking at a it... it might be his best album from the aforementioned "Higher Meditation" from way back in 2007) ("Life Over Death" hasn't aged very well in my opinion but even at a depleted level, it'd still be good enough to be in that conversation as well). I want to say that it was maybe late last yearish... October or so, that I first heard that Anthony B would possibly have an album forthcoming. The roll that he was on just ahead of "B&B" has continued for the most part and I'd been well paying attention to the fact that, virtually every single time, he had something new, it was excellent. Because of that, he would be featured (literally first) on our "Most Wanted 2026" list and I was all in. If Anthony B were to have an album this year, I though it'd be a legit contender for Album Of The Year and look what we have here! "World Of Love" arises from the same background as its immediate predecessor - via union of his label with Ineffable Records and features a whole heap of interesting names in front of and behind the scenes. In production, of particular note are the likes of Jazzwad and J-Vibe; while I'll get into it more in just a second but on the vocal end, Anthony B and co. CLEARLY spared no expense as far as whom they brought in. Unsurprisingly, I can also liken the end sound of "World Of Love" to "B&B". As you would suspect, they definitely share more in common than just a strong version of their star (I should say that some of the tunes he was doing back then had me questioning whether or not a then damn-near fifty year old Anthony B (just hit half a century earlier this year) was still in his ascendancy) and, just like its elder sibling, "World Of Love" proves to be a delightful and SOLID set that most certainly will appear on a few 'best of' lists at year's end. Let's talk about it.


There is a proverbial elephant in the room of this album that I absolutely have to address and you'll agree with me: The title of the album is horrible. It's cliched and... just lame. It's a bad title and you know what else is bad? The cover! Neither one are any good but FORTUNATELY, this is about music and you cannot listen to an album title or a cover and that is the worst thing I have to say about this one, by far. While you cannot listen to an album title, you can listen to a song with the same name as the album and that song, 'World Of Love' gets the album named after it off to a very strong start. As I mentioned, Anthony B really brings in the talent to work alongside him and, arguably, the biggest star he does pull in is German star, Gentleman for the title track. This song is as BEAUTIFUL as it is entirely SIMPLE. Ultra-straightforward in just about every way on Anthony B's side; Gentleman does 'complicate' things a bit (not really) with his outstanding verse. The two have previously worked together, years ago, on an excellent tune called 'Face Off' ["Like a siren, you just ah waaah waaah waaah"], which would appear on an album... by the name of "My Hope". 'World Of Love' isn't far behind those levels at all and biggup Gentleman who has his own new album out, "Gratitude" (review coming soon). 'Rude Bwoy' was an all kinds of fun single from late last year or so that I loved from the first time I heard it and still love, nearly a year on. Anthony B absolutely TORCHES this song. He puts it to the sword!

"Rudeboy protect wi health as young, youths and baby
PROTECT WI COMMUNITY, NO ABUSE WI LADY
No violence pon di corner, yuh crazy?
Nobody can out Rasta fyah when wi blaze it
Wi no preach hate, wi preach love and duality
Bun babylon cah dem nuh show partiality
Memba - Rasta teach principality
Bun out illusion, let's face reality
Unity is strength, so wi need equality
Stop fight each other, dat a dutty mentality
Remember - everything ruled by gravity
So stop promote hypocrisy"

BOOM! You listen to certain tunes and get the feeling that the artist just sort of vibed it. They had a feeling and it, rather quickly, turned into a finished product on their side. That is not the case with 'Rude Bwoy'. This thing is immaculate! It is absolutely exquisitely modern Roots Reggae done by one of its greatest champions and if I had any common sense -- any at all -- I'd be declaring it the best moment from "World Of Love".... but I don't (more on that later). If you were familiar with 'Rube Bwoy', chances may be decent that your listening travels also took you in the vicinity of 'Good Music' which was another single from around that same timeframe. It is highly unlikely but maybe something from one of the first two songs didn't quite work for you. Maybe you aren't a Gentleman fan (shame on you) or maybe 'Rube Bwoy' was a little abrasive for you and that's fine. We all have different tastes. With that being said, however, I'm gonna have a very difficult time in listening to any complaint of 'Good Music' AT ALL. Along with being what its title says it is, it's just so damn joyful and wholesome (besides that "sex, weed and money" part, of course) and EASY that it'll take a Herculean effort to dislike, in my opinion. I didn't feel like putting in that type of work and, instead, I loved it. Sandwiched in there is a younger single from just earlier this year, 'Big City' which features Anthony B alongside talented Hawaiian, Fia, whose name was unknown to me prior to it. I do not know what type of music Fia typically makes (and I don't feel like looking it up) but if it's something other than Reggae, he may want to think about a career shift because what he does here is very impressive. The song is kind of a loose social commentary/observation and it is another fairly straightforward one but, again, it works so well and is so pleasing to listen to along with the substance it surely offers. 

I had a lot of [GOOD] problems on my hands when I SAW that Anthony B had a new tune with a favourite of mine, the incomparable Queen Omega, 'Made From Love'. Many, MANY years ago (almost twenty-five of 'em) Anthony B appeared on 'I Realize' which was the closer on Queen Omega's self-titled debut album, so she's come to return the favour (she's also on Gentleman's album "Gratitude") (did I already say review coming soon??) and the Trini Queen does not disappoint. She never does. She's incapable. Anthony B and the Queen are on a mission to spread love everywhere it is needed. You get love! Love for her and love for him too! Done at a nearly CRAWLING pace, it may take a few spins to really attach itself to you, I would tell you not to pass an early judgment and pay especially close attention on Queen Omega's offering. Taken as a whole, 'Made From Love' is SWEET stuff addition to "World Of Love". Later on, Anthony B taps overlooked well armed and unusually gifted Frenchie (biggup Frenchie), Mo' Kalamity for 'Little Cottage'. Let me say something about Kalamity because I don't think I've ever mentioned her around here but I've definitely spent a bit of time listening to her work (she had a song a long ass time ago called 'Me Say' that used to ANNIHILATE ME) (I love that tune). She has such an interesting voice and approach. When she starts singing, it sounds like her voice kind of limps out of her mouth.... and then it IMMEDIATELY starts sprinting. That gives her sound, whether you like the music or not, an inherent point of interest. On 'Little Cottage' she and Anthony B both lament the struggles of living in hardship and embrace the simplicity of a more natural lifestyle. One of these days I should probably get around to reviewing one of Mo'Kalamity's album but until then, join me in taking a visit to her and Anthony B's 'Little Cottage'... "somewhere by the sea". Anthony B is a veteran in this, he know that when you make a Reggae album, you have to give respect to The Queen so, along with bringing in a pair of them, he also gives you the obligatory Mamma song, fittingly called 'Mamma'. 'Mamma' exists to cover the basics (literally) (she covers the basics and sends you out to bump your head in the world) and that's exactly what it does. Nothing here will change your life or give you a new perspective but 'Mamma' is delightful and biggup my Mamma, Anthony B's and yours too! I couldn't fairly or accurately call 'The Best' a "love song" because it would be giving you an incorrect outlook on the tune: It isn't.... 'oh baby baby I love you'; it's more of an APPRECIATION song. 'The Best' has a riddim that, when it gets going, oddly reminds me (and maybe ONLY me) of the one that backs Sizzla's classic, 'Taking Over'. Where Kalonji used it to inspire each and every one who laid ears on it, Anthony B uses it to give a massive credit to the woman in his life ["This lion is a king and a strong one. Still you give I a shoulder to lean on. You help me to release the tension. Everyday with you is like a vacation"] in a very nice way.

The track behind 'Lonely' which features a helping hand from big voiced Shuga (who I should probably be calling a veteran by now; she's been around a few minutes) sounds a lot like that thing behind Shaggy's giant hit, 'Angel' from a hundred years ago. This isn't a favourite of mine from "World Of Love" but it does have a nice sound to it, especially as it progresses and it also gives me an opportunity to talk about something else in regards to Anthony B being in this current stage and form in his career. He is SO GOOD at the moment that he can save just about any thing! There's nothing that he's going to be doing that I'm going to say is just trash and suggest that when you get to it, you skip on by. EVERY SINGLE THING that he's doing these days has a certain quality level to it 'Lonely' is organized very interestingly (I actually think I hear an even older song, from the 60s, in there as well, called 'Mr. Lonely'), it has nice vibes to it and the more I keep talking about it... I think I'm really starting to like it. Let's move on! Another example of what his talents can do when they aren't necessarily in the best situation would be both 'Bubbling' and 'Bring Me Joy'. The former is my least favourite tune on the entire album and comes dangerously close to falling into being just too damn sappy due to the chorus but it is ultimately saved with the verses which don't lay too heavy on the LOVE/MUSHY stuff and, instead, casts a much wider net. It comes off less of such a track and almost seems like Anthony B is relaying a day: Like he had a hard day and he's going home and wants to hang out with his woman and just relax but... like I said, this is a close one. 'Bring Me Joy, on the other hand, is probably me stretching it because it, while certainly not the best here by any means, is pretty good, actually. Beginning with that riddim which can lay claim to being amongst the album's finest, Anthony B charts a course not too dissimilar from that on 'Bubbling' where he present his love as a shelter from the hardships of everyday life ["There is so much things to bother me: The government , the war, the economy. But your love come and set me free, so I'm so happy that you honour me"]. Again, I'm probably being too harsh on 'Bring Me Joy' by placing it in this context with 'Bubbling' (but I thought that the similarities between the two warranted it) but, regardless, it is a track where Anthony B's talents get the absolute most out of it as possible. I mentioned that were I to have more common sense that I would named 'Rude Bwoy' as the best song on "World Of Love" but, FORTUNATELY, you'll find very little of that 'round these parts because the song that reigns supreme for me on this album is, WITHOUT QUESTION, 'Jet Ski'

"Mi mek gal change colour just like iguana
Gal ah rush wi from Jamdown to Ghana
Every man want a hot gal pon di cornah
Uptown, downtown gal - or foreignah
Any boy nah love woman, dem ah get lava"

Do you hear this song?? Here! I'll give it to you again. Pay attention this time.

Atop the absolutely absurdly delicious Hill & Gully Riddim, Anthony B puts forth a silly effort that will probably require a massive concussion or two to get out of your head and it's not worth it! JUST ENJOY! WHAT A TUNE! 

CLEARLY Anthony B, Jazzwad & co. knew what they had on their hands with 'Jet Ski' because they offer up the similarly vibed (not really) 'Move U Body' a song that, TRUST ME, is a better than its dreadful title (and its opening) would indicate. I'm not saying that it's a great song -- it most certainly is not -- but, again, you get into the middle of it and 'Move U Body' (...ugh!) does have its moments. 'Wake Up' has even more of those moments and it finds Anthony B giving thanks for pretty much everything that he can. While decent on the lyrical side, the biggest appeal of 'Wake Up' is the entire song, as a whole. With its big and vibrant sound that never threatens to overwhelm, 'Wake Up' is a song that you can leave on repeat endlessly. It almost comes off as a vibe. I wouldn't be surprised if Anthony B heard the riddim and came up with something, fairly quickly, because he enjoyed it so much. Regardless of its origins, however, 'Wake Up' is a winner. You know what else is a winner? 'Winner'! I used the word "playfulness" to describe a certain quality to Anthony B's music and it was for tunes such as 'Winner'. While the subject matter of it isn't super-serious, he has a way of saying things that maybe aren't done jokingly but definitely are light and very clever. 

"Got no time fi pose like statue
Is a good friend, alone, got you
Mi bredda, Fabian, seh him dream last night and get di winning number fi di lotto
I'm a winner!
I'm a winner, born as a winner
Mi no inna losing thing
I was born to win"

Also, much like was the case with 'Wake Up', 'Winner' is positively LOVELY. It's just such a nice and pleasing vibes to listen to and a mightily attractive tune! Closing things out on "World Of Love" is another of its biggest highlights, the prayerful 'Oh Jah'. A VERY solid praiser, 'Oh Jah' serves as an excellent way to end matters on the album and, in the process, Anthony B provides us with a very proper punchline:

"Oh Jah, you give I strength and always walk before me" 

And he also says a bunch of other cool stuff like:

"Rasta got one thing they can never take away-
It's the fire and wi keep it burning everyday 
To how you live, to how you work - that's how you'll get yuh pay
Bun di wicked, bun di evil, Rastafari seh
You haffi have a clean heart to go a Zion! 
NO GOAT CAN BE KING OVER THE LION!
No put yuh trust in politics and religion 
A NATION PERISH WITHOUT VISION"

BOOM!

Overall, throw another log on the fire that's been 2026 and that's been Anthony B's career as of late. I really wanted to drive home the point that the bottom of "World Of Love" really isn't THAT bad, which is a great sign of someone in good form. No. Not every single tune here is stellar but I don't have a problem with any of it, really. On the complete opposite end would be the fact that we also are treated to some truly impressive work and, in full, this one stands well with what we've been eating as of late as Reggae fans. If you stick around long enough, you'll get to a point in your life where age will start to take many things from you. WONDERFULLY and APPARENTLY, whenever that time is for Anthony B, musically, still seems to be quite far off. "World Of Love" is a more than solid set from someone who seems to be absolutely enjoying himself and his work these days. 

No comments:

Post a Comment