Friday, September 10, 2021

The Vault Reviews: "Scrolls Of The Levite" by Mark Wonder

Comfort. If you are a nerd, like I am, and keep maybe a lose track of such things, it's can be very interesting to take a sort of 'snapshot' of what and who you're listening to at any given time. What you are likely to find will tell you as much about yourself, and the place you are at in your life, as it will any artist or genre. This is besides the obvious -- growing up -- but even in that regards it can be applicable because there is SOME (possibly ridiculous) song you enjoyed as a child that I can play right now, several hundreds of years later and you will LOVE it. You won't appreciate it in some  nostalgic way - YOU WILL LOVE IT! You'll listen to it for a while and then not hear it again for several years and we'd repeat the process again with  the same result. Similarly, if you have kids of your own and I point to a stretch of your adulthood where you found yourself listening to (and secretly really enjoying) (to the point where you listen to it without your kids around) (and on your headphones) (I know damn well I'm not the only one!) music made for children and that would be when your kids were younger. Again, you'll find yourself listening to some of that when you're older and loving it, most likely because it reminds you of your babies, but perhaps for other reasons as well. That being said, however, when it comes to your actual tastes. watching how they evolve throughout your time as a music fan is extremely fascinating. Taking myself, for example, as I've said in the past, the coolest musical gift that aging has ever given me is the ability to appreciate the music of Vaughn Benjamin. I'd tried when I was younger and..... it just didn't work out; but as I got older and older, the things that I once saw as "cryptic" (and some of them still are) I began to see as challenges. I began to appreciate the journey to comprehension and it has even moved on to other artists as well. I would NEVER have imagined that one day I'd look up and rare is the person who has written more about Benjamin's work than I have and I'm still working on it. Another case would be Ras Batch. Although his music is more immediate than Benjamin's (almost everyone's is), for some reason, at least in spots, it did not resonate with me the way it does these days. And I now, because she's fresh in my mind, wonder what I may've thought of someone like a Reemah, had I first encountered her work when I was... twenty-three-ish, instead of thirty-one-ish. And it hasn't completely changed, thankfully. My entire world will stop if you give me a FLAMING song from Sizzla or Capleton, great GENUINE Dancehall makes tingle and I will gladly pull a hamstring jumping up and down like a small child for a massive Soca song (like 'John Wick' by Skinny Fabulous). 

Someone else who has found a very interesting home on my players and has, fully, become one of my favourite artists is the outstanding Mark Wonder. I'm trying to think of around the time when it initially began to happen and I'm relatively comfortable in saying that it would have been in the late 2000's when I really began to hold the amazing voiced Kingston native in a higher regard. I would have well heard his work and would have been familiar with his name prior that, but something just took it up a higher level around that time. It could have had something to do with an album he did in 2009 (or at least the work that went into) by the name of "True Stories Of Mark Wonder & Friends". If you begin to look at everyone who joined him on that compilation -- Sizzla Kalonji, Capleton, Luciano, Gentleman, Anthony B, Lutan Fyah, Chezidek etc. -- it is definitely enough to grab your attention and since then he has SHOT up in a major way. Even prior to that set, now that I think about it, would have been an album that was in the process of growing on me, "Break The Ice" (it's fantastic, it's worth tracking down) and "The Mystery Unfolds" from 2005 and 2007, respectively. That was the nascence of my interest in the wondrous music of Mark Wonder. The prime would come in 2012 when he destroyed everything in sight via one MAMMOTH shot called "Working Wonders" (which I don't want to spend too much time talking about because I'm going to have three (or maybe four) of these to do) (saving the ammunition). THAT album would take the singer to a higher level, one that he has enjoyed from ever since. And he's made the most of it. 

So what was so wonderful about Mark Wonder? On the surface, there was the matter of his voice. Mark Wonder doesn't strike you in the same way as singers such as Luciano, Bushman, Natty King or Prince Theo (biggup Prince Theo who I began listening to just around the same time that I started with Wonder), as this big baritone voiced (and Q'shan Deya as well) vocalist which has become a bit of a new tradition in Roots Reggae. Instead, what he brings are some of the cleanest and CLEAREST of tones in a higher pitch, which is SO BEAUTIFUL and he routinely pushes it to its limits in making his music. That music, when at its best, is simply some of the finest that the genre has to offer. Also, I do have to mention one of Mark Wonder's greatest of assets is his consistency. I am going to assume that he has made music that I don't like. -- he's made a great deal of songs, it is virtually impossible that I would have enjoyed ALL of them -- but sitting here, I can't think of any (and I can in the case of pretty much everyone else who I've mentioned thus far (in a couple of those instances, I can name you full albums that I do not like)). He's been, at his worst, GOOD and generally even better. Since our hiatus, we've spoken about a few artists who haven't been particularly active, at least not on the album side of things and Mark Wonder has not been one of those. I'll spare you the details (I won't actually, I'm just delaying them), but he's released three and TECHNICALLY four albums over the course of the past six years and I have REALLY wanted to tell you about them. The first of them, wayyyyy back in 2015 and the first following "Working Wonders" was a most fitting release by the name of "Scrolls Of The Levite". The album would come via the US based Nowtime Sound (which, unless I'm REALLY overlooking something, would make it the first of its kind as Mark Wonder has typically worked alongside European and Jamaican imprints) (though Heartbeat Europe was involved with the distribution of this one) and feature the works of a Sikandar Syed and Fernando Cardoso. I'd had just a bit of familiarity with the label as they had worked on a tune called 'Real Rasta' by Achis Reggae favourite, Messenjah Selah (which featured veteran Kulcha Knox) and one other project, which we'll tell you about in just a bit. On paper, 'new Mark Wonder album' would have been enough at the time to get me excited (it's enough to get me excited right now), but 'the first Mark Wonder album after "Working Wonders" ' would have made it something even more special in its day. I was really looking forward to this album and, regardless of who did the work, it would have had a little something more surrounding its release and while I had heard of Nowtime just a bit prior to it, after "Scrolls Of The Levite", they had made a fan out of me. I'll tell you why.

.....Because they made an album with Mark Wonder. "Scrolls Of The Levite" proves itself to be one HEAVY release. Even before we get into fleshing it out, I'm going to say that if you're a listener who has more of an ear towards an old school sort of Roots Reggae, you're likely to be someone who finds a great deal in this one to like (and I could say the same to you about a great deal of Wonder's releases, in general, as well). And while it does feature one signature moment in that respect, you can pretty much stop anywhere and find something at least somewhat enjoyable. A nice example of that would be our BRIGHT opening piece, 'Must Be A Way'. This song is just a JOY to listen to and its vibes match the point of it which is about overcoming the obstacles of basic, everyday life. Wonder keeps things fairly simple hear, it doesn't make any deviation at all for the most part and, ultimately, what you end up with is a beautiful and solid composition to get us going (and I also love the focus on the music, particularly later on, which happens more than once on this album). Things really began to soar on the outstanding 'Visions', one of the finest selections you'll find here. Before I even get into the song itself, that riddim is GORGEOUS! It is a such a golden creation and it shines in the four and half minutes we get to taste it. And Mark Wonder, of course, does not waste what he has and makes the most of that outstanding track.

"Dem searching
But yet still dem wanting
Cuz dem nuh know what dem seeking
And dem still complaining

But I see visions of a brighter tomorrow!
Happy people living without pain or sorrow!

So Nyahbinghi keep chanting
And di fire keep burning
SOON THEY'LL BE LEARNING - ABOUT THE WONDERS OF JAH"

'Rude Boys In Town' finds the singer out to disrupt and disturb the oppressive system in a major way on a song which is equally part social commentary and part ganja tune. What I eventually took from it (besides it being a winner, and I think it was an early single from this release. CLEARLY aimed at the deep Roots Reggae fans if that's true) was this idea of everyone playing their part in terms of making changes and helping to better themselves and others. Wonder paints a picture of so many different types of people from farmers, to singers and, definitely, herbs men who populate and STRENGTHEN a community to be sustaining and exist outside of a large type of oppression and injustice. And just in case I haven't said it (I don't feel like going back and finding out), 'Rude Boys In Town' is downright chunky. It could stand to lose a few pounds (and I mean that in a good way. It is a THICK and lovely peace of modern Roots Reggae music.

Speaking of things which are carrying a bit extra around the waist, definitely the massiest moment on the album comes in the form of the giant praising tune 'Hail Jah'. Along with, easily, being amongst the top ranking highlights of "Scrolls Of The Levite", 'Hail Jah' is technically nearly eight minutes long as it features the actual tune and its dubbed out counterpart. I don't know why they chose this song, in particular, for such a presentation and they could have picked nearly every one of the other twelve offerings and likely have scored with similarly impressive results, BUT, the fact that they decided to do it was just such a fine and sagacious twist. You go into albums looking for the 'changeup'. And often times in Roots music, that will be a Dancehall track or something else along the same lines, but what they do in this case is choose a method so obvious that it almost came as a surprise. The lyrical side of 'Hail Jah' is what you would expect, but I do so much enjoy the delivery. Mark Wonder almost TALKS on it, like a bit of poetry at times, and what you get is so damn interesting especially, again, when combined with the dub which follows it. So it should tell you something about the prevailing quality of this set when I say that you will find even stronger material here than 'Hail Jah'. You could make the case (and I would) that such material is found next in the form of the fantastic call to action that is 'Awake'.

"From ancient of days, we rule supreme
Africa land: Pure and clean
Living royally as Queens and Queens
Rule over land - and seas
Science, arts, technology
Spiritual hearts, that's never been seen

Awake Ithiopians, awake!
No more sleeping, no more slumbering, awake
Awake Ithiopians, awake!
No more sleeping, no more slumbering, awake"

'Awake' is a DELICIOUS  piece telling all to.... wake up (!) and take their rightful place in the world and to honour their heritage and ancestors in doing so. This, for me, is basically quintessential/vintage Mark Wonder. Again, while I do find something on this album that I favour over it, if I were to point to something from the "Scrolls" album as the strongest demonstration of who he is as an artist, I might just choose the five minute long 'Awake'. Though it isn't quite as strong as 'Awake' (and that isn't saying a ton, 'Awake' is amazing) (and I keep listening to it and I'm thinking about rewriting that) (I think I will) EDIT: Arguably just as strong as the track preceding it, the next tune up, 'Look Out For the Signs', also does a nice job of showing what Wonder is capable of. Though slightly more of a subtle vibes, at least initially, the song cleverly kind of builds itself (take a deep listen near the end of the song and notice every thing that is going on) up to make for a great sound by its peak. I really love its direction as well as the artist preaches for all to be more aware of exactly what is going on. He ties it all to The Almighty, which sweetly presides over the ideology here, helping to make for yet another lovely moment on "Scrolls", this one DEEP as well. The vibes of the tune just behind 'Look Out For the Signs', 'Break Free', come in so nicely and though it may not be what I would necessarily call a 'happy' song in its course (PURELY speaking, it isn't negative at all either), it is a very nice listen. As to that "course", Mark Wonder uses this one as an inspirational moment. I'm sitting here listening to it now and I'm kind of wishing that I had featured it in the next spot where I talk about my topping selections from this album, 'Break Free'  is excellent. It didn't get that type of spin, but if for you, like me, it's been awhile from the last time you heard it, it's time to take another listen. And "Scrolls Of The Levite" comes to it conclusion with a pair of two more stellar songs, 'Rebels' and 'Revolution'. The former, despite being quite laid back for the most part, is downright cavernous material for an overthinker like myself. I ultimately came away with the notion that it was about people who have great responsibility in society to do their absolute best in maintaining and honouring that position - regardless of what it is. I think Wonder would agree that it would even include someone in his position of being a musician and someone who is looked up to nd respected. For is part, 'Revolution' was a jewel. It is arguably just as potent as 'Break Free' and it sends "Scrolls" out on such a fascinating 'grimy' high-point. While it is typical, classy, refined Mark Wonder as a vocalist and that riddim is one of the finest on the whole of this project, I hear just a bit of spice and agitation on this one as well which is a powerful touch.

Now! To my opinion, "Scrolls Of The Levite" pinnacles during a three track stretch at the tail end of its first half, which might just be some of the best output I've ever heard from Mark Wonder. The first of them, 'Oh I' is THEE crown of the album. It is MASSIVE!
"OH I!
Coulda never, ever stop hailing King Selassie I
FOR I!
Know He's the guiding light for I & I
YES I!
Coulda never, ever stop hailing King Selassie I
HAIL HIM HIGH!
Father for all, Ababajoni"

TEARS! BOOM! Wonder gives infinite thanks and praises on this one which has a.... spiraling, hypnotic and SWEET old school licked riddim carrying it. This song would have fit highly on anything he's ever done and it is without peer on even this very sizable set. Such pieces are staples of the genre, but when you get into Mark Wonder's music, specifically, it's also a bit of a specialty of his as you give that wondrous voice a very broad, but personal, stage to star on and he NEVER disappoints. 'Buzzrock Soldiers' is the second of the triplet and it keeps the levels high.

"As a a militant soldier -
Born to follow Jah
Real African from an ancient culture
Haffi know yah roots like Marcus told yah
Haffi stand tall, bigger and bolder
Inna dis ya time, prophecies unfold
Half of the story has never been told
Nah get tricked by babylon's billfold
It ah vanish away like silver and gold

Buzzrock soldiers!
Forward wi trod and wi nah look back!
Dragonslayers!
Nah get caught inna babylon trap

As I trod pon di earth
Stand firm pon mi feet 
Forward ever, all Jah soldiers ah dweet
Fyah it a burn, wicked caan tek di heat
It a torch dem, more than a thousand degrees
MORE THAN A MILLION!
MORE THAN A BILLION!
MORE THAN A TRILLION!
MORE THAN THAT!
Rastafari wi life
Selassie I wi guide
Forward trod and wi nah look back"

Along with the sound, what really stood out on 'Buzzrock Soldiers' for me was its ENERGY! Wonder dials up the intensity and I love it when you have situations like this when a tune's subject and delivery are so in sync. This is a call to action. He's trying to get your attention and motivate you and you don't want him singing the same way he'd be on a love song. The pitch is different. You can envision him in the studio maybe breaking a sweat! He goes fully in on the song and scores massively. And finally is an offering which may've been familiar to fans prior to the release of the album as the wicked 'Long Road' was featured on Nowtime's Jah Children Riddim from way back in 2009 (it also had two songs rom Junior Kelly and another by Chezidek). 'Long Road' is about persevering and holding the faith during tough times and it has this kind of 'funky' vibes to it which sets it apart from anything else found on "Scrolls" and that is a good thing as Mark Wonder sends up yet another big winner. 
Overall, you do not get very far into "Scrolls Of The Levite" without it become clear that the album was a very big deal - pretty much like all of Mark Wonder's work. What highlights this particular album, at least for me, is its sound. Mark Wonder's vocals are impeccable, they always are. But what Nowtime Sound gives him in this case, for the most part, are these delightfully vintage Roots Reggae compositions and, unsurprisingly, it works VERY well. I didn't want to spend too much time talking about it during this review (because I'm planning to deal with them as well at some point) but the singer has had albums after this one and it still ranks quite high in my opinion. As far as I can tell, Nowtime Sound has not done a ton of material following its release, but even if they never did ANYTHING following it, what they left in "Scrolls Of The Levite" made a fine impression and, for Mark Wonder, it was pretty much business as usual and a full JOY to listen to.

Rated: 4.35/5
Nowtime Sound
2015
CD + Digital

No comments:

Post a Comment