![]() |
| "Unconquerable" by Mosiah [House Of Riddim] |
A couple of years ago, we told you about a promising up and comer from out of Trinidad who'd just delivered his impressive debut album, "I-Frequency", by the name of Mosiah. That album was very nice and featured standouts such as 'Economic Slavery', 'Black Livity', the all-conquering 'More Than Gold', 'See It Clearly' and others and though it didn't seem to get too much attention, it definitely made an impression on me. Furthermore, I'd also heard some other things from Mosiah, including an extended interview, and he seemed a very nice person and I made a point out of keeping an eye on what he was up to. "I-Frequency" came via label from out of Germany (where Mosiah calls home these days), Ragatac {whos company motto is the SWEET "We play hot Reggae for cool people"), Mosiah also had a history, dating back a few years or so in working with the venerable House Of Riddim, in Austria and while we wait on his next full length release, Mosiah & HOR collaborated earlier this year on an EP that definitely caught my attention, "Unconquerable".
![]() |
| 2024 |
I made a note to do something with it because my initial listens were pretty solid, as expected, but the gift that 2026 has been has continuously given more and more and "Unconquerable" slipped between the proverbial cracks (just like Dezarie's EP, "7th Heaven" is doing right now) but we're back to it now and it's a perfect subject for a mini-review, in my opinion. I do want to mention something: In the review for "I-Frequency", I drew a comparison from Mosiah, in terms of style, to Kabaka Pyramid and I stand by that but he also reminds me a bit of Cruzan chanter, 'Original Nine Fingers', Xkaliba. The two share a tone and biggup Xkaliba (who is, hopefully, somewhere working on new music... cause it's been a minute). And I also feel inclined to mention that, back in 2017, Mosiah released another EP (also via Ragatac), "Chant Tafari", which was very nice and shows that EPs are a part of his plan and... they're working (and hopefully history doesn't directly repeat itself here and we don't have to wait until... 2033, like we did in the seven years between first EP and first album)!
"Unconquerable" gets going via big winner - the song it is named after. 'Unconquerable'. The title track has a beautiful energy to it initially and what Mosiah is able to do with that vigour is damn impressive.
"Mi no si no obstacles one caan go ovah-
From you trod di path of right and praise Jahovia
Ever vigilant wid God inna heart, cah man a soljah
And wi no come fi sleep, no come fi bow, wi come fi conquah
Trod on wid hope & grace-
And Jah Jah take you through di challenges you face
Trod wid HIM, I seh go over wid no trace
Yes, wi haffi overcome!"
It also helps matters that HOR, of course, supplies him with a top notch track as, EASILY, 'Unconquerable' is amongst the very best offerings you'll find here.
One of the pair of songs that can actually lay a solid claim to being even stronger than the opener, 'Show More Love' is up next. 'Show More Love' is gorgeous and it has just a little bite to it. There's something spicy to it but the message here is both very simple (you know exactly what this song is about) and ever-present in the genre, so the steam behind this one does go a ways in setting it apart from the [absolutely massive] pack of similarly steered tunes. I'd also add that you should really take in the words here because Mosiah serves up a stretch or two (such as the entirety of the second verse.... literally ALL OF IT) that dazzle during 'Show More Love'. To me (and probably only to me), 'Rule Your Destiny' has somewhat of a similar vibes to it as 'Show More Love' and it's also nearly as strong. 'Rule Your Destiny' is a little... disorderly. It isn't very neat; it's a little unkempt and I mean that as a compliment, which does separate it from that immaculate piece just ahead of it but also works well for it.
Sometimes you just have to take a minute to give thanks and give praise for your life and what you have in it and that is precisely what Mosiah does during the well-recognizable 'Nothing Above You'. This tune originates back a couple of years or so and I'd heard it but I don't think that I'd ever really tune it in because, listening to it on "Unconquerable", sends this thing... somewhere else. It's just MUCH better than I remember it being. Particularly for the type of selection it is, 'Nothing Above You' is really clever in its lyrics and it just GLOWS. Looking for a song on this EP that's really going to pick you up and make you feel nice? Your search stops at 'Nothing Above You'. "Unconquerable" pinnacles, at least in my opinion, during its most recognizable offering, 'Revolution Time', a big combination featuring another powerful chanter from out of Trinidad, Jah Defender. The Defender has been burning lately and the most robust piece of evidence of this came back in June, when he released his own album through House Of Riddim, "Endurance". 'Revolution Time' is a HEALTHY, all-encompassing call for change and a BEAUTIFUL contrast of styles. Mosiah, is more animated. There're a lot of things going on in his music; while Jah Defender is grounded and more traditional in his approach (you REALLY notice it about a minute and half in, when Defender's verse comes up. The song seems to come to a halt in the transition before resuming at the same extremely high level. 'Revolution Time' is excellent and I hope (and assume) that it won't be the final time these two link up for a song (maybe someone will call the Queen to join them next time too!) (biggup Queen Omega). Finally is the sweet vibed 'Never Lose Your Way'. There's a whole lot of common sense all over this tune and I love how it simplifies things to a degree that it provides such a poignant punchline to "Unconquerable" as a whole:
"NEVER BE TOO HARD ON YOURSELF!"
Sure, you have to deal with certain things and you will have your struggles but EVERY THING doesn't have to be a battle with some unknown enemy.... named You. Again, the song has a very nice sound to it as well and it sends us on our way forward with a nice message and feeling good about our prospects.
Overall, if you caught onto Mosiah at "I-Frequency" (or even if you didn't), you'll be delighted with what you hear throughout "Unconquerable" as it builds on more of the same sound established by the album. He has a very fresh and FUN style to him and I used the phrase "beautiful energy", which I think really describes how I feel about his work. Take that energy and combine it with standard, typical mastery from House Of Riddim and "Unconquerable" proves to be one of the better EPs that I've come across in a loaded and lauded 2026.


No comments:
Post a Comment