Sunday, October 4, 2026

The Genuine Article: A review of Grateful by Torch

Blocks. In traditional Dancehall music, there are what I've called the Three 3 G's: Girls, guns & ganja. What I mean when I say that is if you listen to [traditional, have I mentioned TRADITIONAL??] Dancehall music, while you will find songs about topics beyond those three, those are, far and away, the most popular that songs from the genre center around. Furthermore, you're likely to almost NEVER find a song which doesn't incorporate at least one of the three in some fashion or another. I won't spend a similar amount of time explaining it but if you listen to Soca music at all, I don't have to tell you the concept of "jump, wave & misbehave" or any of its... thousands of infectious incantations or full blown albums. When it comes to Roots music, there're also a number of very basic and foundational concepts that anchor the music to a large degree. One of them is omnipresent (LITERALLY) and is THE central Figure of the entire genre; the others tend to revolve around HIM and are intrinsically interwoven within it as well. Now, just as is the case with the more restrictive confines of the Dancehall (I gave you three options for Dancehall. There're... maybe ten-ish in Roots music), we reward and celebrate the makes of this wonderful sound by how well they can convey these themes and, furthermore, how they can manage to differentiate it from their peers. HOWEVER, with that being said, there does exist a very straightforward way to present Reggae music in a way that does not stray far from center AT ALL but is still able to win the affections of listeners. There's a set road and those who show themselves capable of trodding it -- in even the most basic way -- can still reach a certain level of success when certain factors are in order. I'll bring up someone who so wonderfully embodies such a quality and though he hasn't enjoyed a massive amount of accomplishments to date (and likely never will), Steve Machete has spent a significant amount of time making a beautiful brand of Roots Reggae music that I absolutely love that does not challenge or stress the typical  foundation of the genre AT ALL. When you spread that out in terms of an album form (DAMN I would love a Steve Machete album), it can be even more important and while I do LOVE uniqueness and will continue to push it to your attention when I find it done well, I have to admit that there is SOMETHING mightily attractive about digging into a pure, extremely well done piece of modern Roots Reggae. I've spent years and years lifting up such releases and have absolutely no problem with doing it again.

2026

....like today, for example! Earlier this year, Torch released an EP by the name of "Path To Success" which, for what it was, was incredibly well-received and fairly popular in its time. I remember being very pleased to see the response around it and it featured a number of big names in just a handful of tracks (more on that in a bit because all of those songs are on this album) - so that definitely helped bring in eyes and ears. We were all largely rewarded. "Path To Success was very good and, apparently, it was just a bite of what was forthcoming. I've never actually reviewed any of Torch's work (despite the fact that he's been making full projects for... almost a decade and a half or so and you'll find him mentioned around here as early as 2009!) and made a proper note to attempt to change that around the time of "PTS" and LOOK [!], he's given me the opportunity to change that and I am all over it. 

I don't want to paint a picture that Torch or his music (or this album) are bereft of uniqueness or originality: They most certainly are not. His style is a very pleasing blend of a loud chant (he almost sounds like Tony Rebel at times. Coincidentally, The Rebel would give him his name and has been a help throughout Torch's career to my understanding) with a more traditional singing voice that he occasionally employs to big effect. I've also read interviews where the Trench Town native lists the likes of Buju Banton and Sizzla Kalonji as artists who've inspired him musically and his approach also reminds, somewhat, of them as well. Now, were you one of the ones who caught onto Torch during the hype of "Path To Success", you should be REALLY happy (and even if you go back further than that, you'll be pleased as well) as that release has now been inhaled and a larger project has been constructed around it and we get "Grateful", the brand new album from the ever talented Torch. Torch has an actual background in music, apart from making it, I believe he was trained as an engineer and he also spent considerable time at the hallowed Penthouse Records, so it comes to no great shock that he, himself, handles production for "Grateful" and, after getting a listen to it, hopefully he spreads the joy around a bit because there is some WONDERFUL Roots music on this album. I got started down this road as far as the direction of this review because of that title and how being grateful and thankful, in general, is foundational tenet of this music and, as the album plays out, Torch and company really begin to touch so many of the others and in a very forthright and matter-of-fact manner. "Grateful" makes absolutely no illusions as to what it is. It is a modern Roots Reggae album - nothing more, nothing less. It's very well written, it sounds exceptional and it is just so beautifully presented. Such a set of circumstances may present certain limitations (and I'll touch on that in closing, SURELY) but it also will open it up to my opinion; for what it may lack in "legs" and diversity, "Grateful" more than makes up for with sincerity and an UNFAILING understanding as to exactly what it is. Let's talk about it! 

Something that I (a nerd) found really cool about "Grateful" in relation to "Path To Success" (that no one else will but who cares!) is the fact that of the seven songs present on "PTS" only four of them made it to the full release. To me that says that there was some sort of total vision for "Grateful". It isn't that they cut away some of the 'fat' (they most certainly did not. This album has seventeen tracks and it's an hour long); it's that Torch and company had an idea of what they wanted "Grateful" to be and the songs that fit in that image made it over and the ones that did not fit, did not. They weren't just attempting to flesh out a record. What they did see (whoever "they" may be, precisely) begins with a definite highlight and the first of what turns out to be NINE combinations in total, the GORGEOUS 'Travel Jah Road', featuring Vyzadon.  The guest here is an interesting one for a few reasons, not the least of which is that Vyzadon tends to sounds.... almost SAD to me at times. It isn't quite the same feeling (and they sound nothing alike) but the feeling of listening to his music sometimes reminds me of Bugle to a degree. Of course SAD does not mean BAD at all and, like I said, 'Travel Jah Road' is outstanding. Specifically, the tune deals with things such as perseverance, overcoming obstacles and not being too proud to ask for help when needed. There's a lovely spot right in the middle where 'Travel Jah Road' REALLY settles in, musically, and when the vocals return we get a bit of back and forth between the Torch and Vyzadon for one of the more dynamic stretches of the album before the instruments return and send us out soaring on a golden start. In next is, arguably, the even higher 'Agenda', which is downright brilliant.

"So sharpen di vampire stick
Pass through, stab wicked heart wid di prick
A DIS YAH FLAME BUN NASTINESS"
"Full time no deh pon shift
DI MISSION IS TO SAVE DI PEOPLE DEM FROM A FIERY PIT
Dem waan fi stop mi from seh dat and dis:
Waan control di narrative wid lies and tricks
So dem come and seh 'excuse mi, yuh fire too red!'
KNOW SEH MI NAH PARTIAL
BUN YOU OUTTA YOUR BED"

'Agenda' Torch's shot back against a general level of nastiness being expressed in the world and he does it with such a HEAVY HAND! I mean this tune is dripping with confidence and wit. Torch tackles this one like someone who is taking a test that he's been studying for his entire life. There are no surprises to be had; HE'S GOT THIS! 'Agenda' is a special song and though I do find one stronger than it on "Grateful", were I to just pick one to present Torch's music to someone, 'Agenda' might get the call. I'll skip ahead a bit to another excellent selection and one with a title that you'd fully expect to see on a release such as this one, 'Don't Give Up'. I just mentioned how "confident" Torch struck me on 'Agenda' and I think that CONFIDENCE, particularly self-confidence and assurance is the main theme behind 'Don't Give Up'. This isn't necessarily that piece solely about dealing with things that you encounter in life and going through the things that give you trouble (as is the case on the opener); although that is certainly apart of it, 'Don't Give Up' is more about what's going on inside of your head. We've had bad times that we've experienced and we knew that they were passing. Maybe you were working on something that wasn't going quite to plan but you were fine with it. You were patient and knew you had a good chance of turning it around; 'Don't Give Up' is when THAT is gone. When you've lost that inner belief, 

"So no give up on yourself
ONE DAY YOU'LL HAVE A STORY TO TELL"

'By The Cover' was a legit surprise to me and a damn powerful one. I didn't make the connection but it's quite clever. This one is about not underestimating people and places and circumstances (and ALBUMS) (I may've thrown in that last one) ["Dem judge di book dem by di cover and wasn't sure of what was inside. And now dem wishing dem discover, cause it was more than what meets di eye"], for better or for worse. There's just LOADS of common sense and knowledge behind 'By The Cover' as well and you get the point, without knowing him at all, that Torch is someone who writes with a level of life-experience that he pushes into a song like 'By The Cover' and several others on "Grateful" as well. Before I switch gears, I will mention out obligatory love song on the album, 'Still Believe In Love'. You don't dwell on these tunes unless they're exceptional or really bad and 'Still Believe In Love' is neither. It's just fine for what it is and it actually does a nice job in showing off Torch's vocals when he sits on them just a little. You should have expected such a piece to be in this mix and, if you did, you probably expected it to sound pretty close to 'Still Believe In Love'. 

Now, let's talk about the other seven individuals who, along with the aforementioned Vyzadon, join Torch in making "Grateful" the project that it is, as he taps a wonderful variety of names you know and maybe others that you should/will know. Let's just pick a random one... let's say... 'All I Need'! This fine track features veteran singer, Little Kirk. Little Kirk is [delightful] an interesting one because he was never the type to hop on every single riddim -- even at his pinnacle -- and though he's strung together a fine career for himself, the urge is to always bring up his generational talent of a brother when his name comes up but he's more than deserving of a significant amount of credit on his own merit and I was DAMN happy to see him aboard "Grateful" and he does not disappoint. 'All I Need' is a very straightforward, but BEAUTIFULLY done, praiser and that's about all of the explaining it needs, but DAMN this song is so nice to listen to! Biggup Little Kirk. You wish he came around more often after tracks like this one (but he won't). Just ahead of Little Kirk's appearance on "Grateful", Aneillyon makes a contribution on the somewhat melancholy 'No Procrastinating'. Like the song just behind it, 'No Procrastinating' is song exalting The Almighty but it takes a little bit of a twisting route to arrive there. I'm actually pretty curious as to how they came up with it but the song's punchline:

"No procrastinating, we've got work to do
Trust in Jah, and HE will see us through"

It's pretty SMART. What they're saying is that NO ONE, not even HIM, is going to do everything for you and you have to try, at the very least, to meet someone halfway. You do your part and I'll do mine and we'll be just fine. Again, the vibes of the song are pretty different; this is not a joyful tune but it's one that you'll make a mistake in not taking in should you pass on it when realizing that it doesn't immediately grab your attention. You should have no such issues AT ALL with the all sorts of fun 'Wheel Again' which enlists the talents of Bingi (who, himself, has a new EP for this year by the name of "The Beginning"). I'm not going to call it a 'love song' or a 'lust song' ["She seh she a nuh door but she loving how mi jam it"] but it is kind of relationship-ish and flirty. HOWEVER you come to qualify it - it is outstanding and a damn joy to listen to. Just as impressive as Torch & Bingi on the vocals is the actual riddim and whoever is on that guitar on this song deserves a bonus with the performance they put on for 'Wheel Again'.  'Be careful of the company you keep' is the sentiment behind another winner, 'False Pretense', which links Torch with the always interesting (for one reason or another) Turbulence. The tune was one of the few making it over from "Path To Success" and I can actually recall the first few times that I heard it (because I can literally still hear what my critique of it was at the time) because it sounds a little uneven in combining the vocals with riddim at times (especially at the beginning) but it subsequently settles down and you get a really nice vibes between these two across an old school bounce of a riddim ["TRY TO DESTROY MI FOR SELFISH REASONS AND IN MY EYES, THAT IS A TREASON"]. You've heard songs like this many times in the past on Roots sets (Ickarus had one of the finest I've ever heard called 'Mind Who U Lime Round' ["Spend time round. They could be the same one that's putting you down"] and they do so nicely fit into the ideology of the genre as well as far as uplifting positive works and putting away negative ones. Torch also taps German star, Gentleman, for a cut on "Grateful", the glowing 'I Will Be There'. RIDICULOUSLY COINCIDENTALLY, Gentleman, himself, also recently released a very similarly titled album by the name of "Gratitude" and it also just happens to have seventeen tracks as well! No stranger at all to combinations, himself ("Gratitude" has TEN of them), Gentleman at least has the propensity to work well with others, Gentleman can pretty much work well with just about anyone - CLEARLY Torch isn't an exception (and I am fully expecting to see Torch on Gentleman's next album or EP, whenever it may get here). As its title would suggest, 'I Will Be There' is just a track about accepting and asking for a helping hand when you need it. It's also about serving that purpose for someone else when you're able and just such a nice vibes altogether and one which sort of indirectly (almost directly) gets into things such as depression and mental health. Now, with supreme respect to Gentleman, Turbulence and everyone else whose name I've mentioned thus far playing a guesting role on "Grateful" there's a trio of others who really turn in efforts that set them apart from the rest. One of the names I was most curious about hearing was Natty King. Natty King is a really big deal for me but he seems to not be as active as I would like (which would explain why I was more looking forward to his tune than another one here which happens to feature one of my absolute favourites artists) (more on him in a second) which makes it an even bigger deal when he does come around. His contribution to Torch's album comes on a song called 'Give Thanks'... you know damn well you can't have a Roots Reggae album without a tune called 'Give Thanks' or something like it. The actual music echoes the simplicity of its name and it definitely is cursory but in a lovely way. The two have a nice amount of chemistry with one another, the song sounds excellent and it isn't necessarily lacking lyrically either. 

[Who knew ^that^ paragraph was getting THAT damn long???] Junior Kelly has an album of his own which actually releases TODAY (currently writing this on the 2nd of October, 2026), "Care About Me". If it's at least halfway decent (and it should be), it'll probably be the next review that I start (listening to some of the early clips.... ain't looking good) (maybe I'll review it anyway) but until then, he pops up on "Grateful" for one of its largest moments, the downright triumphant 'Perseverance'. 'Perseverance' is GLORIOUS Roots Reggae music; both turn in excellent performances but you have to definitely big up Junior Kelly who provides the tune (and the entire album, actually) with one its most scintillating segments:

"I no born inna socks or nah grow up pon no carpet
No silver spoon inna mi mouth mi neva get yet
Yet, when rain ah fall - man a wet
Sun ah shine - man ah sweat 
Pon mi pride, mi dignity - dem waan mi step, step, step
I'm more
Mi nah less 
Mi nah sleep
Mi nah rest
Through all di blood and di sweat and all di stumble weh mi mek
AND WHEN YOU HIT ROCK-BOTTOM DI ONLY PLACE YOU CAN GO IS UP!
And when you lost everything then you got no more to lose!
So don't give up!"

BOOM! Similarly vibed is the final combination I have to tell you about, the title track, this one calling up the great Lutan Fyah. 'Grateful' is EPIC. It's one of the single best songs that I've heard ALTOGETHER in 2026 and, of course, the sitting GEM of the album named for it. Though 'Perseverance' has a more jovial type of vibe to it, it and 'Grateful' are quite similar to my ears and, again, they both WONDERFULLY encapsulate a couple of the longstanding and significant themes of modern Roots Reggae music. CHECK! 

And we're not done, I still have four really good solo songs to tell you about [!]: Check the easy-going and prayerful 'Goodness & Mercy'. This tune, which has a clearly established biblical core, is likely exactly what you're thinking but it might come as a surprise that it actually has some of the finest musicianship on the entire album. The riddim here exquisite and it seems to keep adding little [delightful] nuances as it goes on and on. First you get a little horn (not THAT kinda "horn") (biggup Soca); then A LOT of horn; then a keyboard; then some guitar and it all makes for one attention dominating piece of music. 'Goodness & Mercy' shares a heart with the closer of 'Grateful', 'We Shall Overcome'. While the sound of 'We Shall Overcome' is far more basic than 'Goodness & Mercy', I'll challenge you to listen to this album out and not find yourself singing, "we shall overcome, we shall overcome". It's musical 'modesty' is not only its most apparent characteristic, it's also its most charming and powerful in my opinion and I wouldn't be surprised if, somewhere in his background, is a more traditional amount of Gospel for Torch as well. Then there's 'I Am A Warrior'.

"Sometimes I feel so broken and battered
All my hopes and dreams, it seems shattered
And I know that faith is required
Even though I'm weary and tired
Time it waits on no man, so I just can't play around
Keep my head above the water, cause I man no plan fi drown"

I'm thinking 'I Am A Warrior' (and the next song that I'm about to tell you about) will kind of go overlooked because it definitely doesn't have some of the more... IMMEDIATE qualities that you hear on some of the others but it is a very nice selection! It's well-written, it's catchy (that chorus ranks amongst the album's finest in my opinion), the vocals are lovely and it's just a high-quality, total effort from Torch. Finally, 'Oh Jah Jah' is a sweet praise of The Almighty which instantly translates to a more terrestrial and tangible idea in using a level of praise and inspiration to overcome certain things in life (more on that in a second) and it is lovely. Take a listen for yourself! 

"One day my sorrows will ovah!"

There're a couple of things that stood out to me as I was putting this review together that I think deserve to be stressed. The first is that "Grateful" definitely does cover many of the bases of its genre but it pinpoints things like perseverance and struggling, specifically. While I won't say that it does to that topic what Akae Beka did with unity on the unforgettable "Beauty For Ashes" because not the entire album is on the same topic but what Torch does manage to do here is extremely impressive, particularly considering that "Grateful" remains fresh and exciting throughout. It never wears out the subject and becomes flat. To that end, credit goes to the wonderful music and writing. The other thing I want to mention is just how nice of a showcase this set is for Torch's VOICE. He sounds fantastic, consistently, within every approach he takes (he almost sounds like Natty King at times, which is a huge compliment). If he's chanting, full singing or bringing in the fire, Torch shows himself to be amongst the most gifted, CAPABLE and versatile lights on the scene today with what he does throughout this release. 

Overall, if you cannot tell (shame on you), I REALLY like "Grateful". It's long overdue that I review one of Torch's albums but I picked a good one to get to work on. Because of how it goes, and its full quality, I would first specifically recommend "Grateful" as a great doorway into Torch's work. Maybe you'll find a better set somewhere in his catalogue (and if you know of one off the top of your head, feel free to let me know), maybe not, but if you're just catching on to his work, this is a FINE entry point. Furthermore, I'd go as far as to say that, even in a year as ridiculously STACKED as 2026 has been, "Grateful" stands as one of the strongest displays of talent that I've come across. Let's specify that for just a moment: I'm not saying it's THE best album that I've heard (it is not but it is up there) but as far as showing what its star is capable of, it's great at that. Along with its sound, its display and everything that it has going in its favour, "Grateful" by Torch is an album that should register with fans for one reason or another. Maybe it isn't the greatest you've ever heard or maybe it doesn't blow you away but IF YOU ENJOY MODERN ROOTS REGGAE, YOU WILL LIKE THIS ALBUM. Period. 

Rated: 4.45/5
Bad-Hasai Muzyk
2026

No comments:

Post a Comment