Thursday, August 13, 2009

Achis' Favourites 11-20

SO! In celebration of my 21st birthday on the 14th (more like 28th but who's counting) I decided to destroy the review I was writing (which i will surely regret later) and do a list that I've been asked to do countless times and have been meaning to do but. . . just haven't - My favourite artists. Now this is easily the hardest list I've done to date and what started out as a ten artist list quickly became a fifteen and then twenty artist list and I was SOOOOOOO thinking about going twenty-five. However, as uncomfortable as I am with the way it currently exists and, in the face of my better judgment, I submit, for your approval, My CURRENT favourite artists regardless of genres.

{note 1: The list will be in two parts}
{note 2: Although this list is a list of my current favourites, I am partial (as hell) in some cases and have rather liberally applied that partiality}
{note 3: I do plan to do a list of all favourites at some point in the future and there will be MUCH analysis at the end of this list}
{note 4: The first half of my list only has one Soca artist in it. WOW}
{note 5: Its my birthday when you're reading this dammit!}


#20. MESSENJAH SELAH

Why? Because I pay attention. Definitely the most recent addition to this list, this time last year were I to have (ridiculously) extended such a list to around 100 names or so, I’m not so sure that he would have been on it at all even. However, the more and more I dig into and analyze what was the quietly MAMMOTH Breaking Babylon Curse album, I definitely have a new found appreciation for the artist. The album was a sleeper for the ages and it re-revealed what we should have known for the first shot, Whosoever Will: Messenjah Selah is wicked.

The Future? Should Selah manage something less than a disturbingly long six years before his next release or even just remain active with singles, his stock can only rise on this list.

#19. SKINNY FABULOUS

Why? Because everything in life is cured by jumping and waving. As this list goes along, you’ll see that there are two different things which can win me over IMMEDIATELY! The first, of course, is an artist who has something substantial to say. Those are the artists who, for the most part, dominate my top ten. The second is an UNNECESSARILY high paced Soca artist who can literally destroy ANYTHING in his/her path. There aren’t too many more intense than Skinny Fabulous and the two time reigning king of Vincy Soca Monarch figures to only get madder on his way to what I predict will be a crown at the big show in Trinidad within the next five years. Meet the man who knocked Jah Cure off the list!

The Future? The still very young Skinny figures to have tangibly one of the greatest upsides on this list. Thus, should his 2010 be like his 2008 and 2009 were, the top half of this list won’t be a problem, at all.


#18. AIDONIA

Why? Because I need a guaranteed edge don’t I? I’ve always maintained that I’m probably ever so slightly more of a Dancehall head than a Roots head, although I find myself almost primarily writing about Roots Reggae. The Dancehall fan in me remains quite befuddled about what exactly is going on with Aidonia. He is quite possibly ahead of his time and maybe sometime in the 2030’s when he’s in his 50’s or so, Aidonia might enjoy a bit of a comeback of sorts. Right now, however, his music almost inherently sticks out from the pack merely based on the fact that the Dancehall quite possibly hasn’t seen an artist who can literally do with words what Aidonia can do with them, seemingly at whim, since the legendary Papa San.



The Future? Aidonia may not have reached his peak in terms of actual quality levels which is potentially just. . . STUPID, he’ll be overdoing it at that point. However, he DEFINITELY hasn’t reached his peak in terms of popularity and that, almost unavoidably, will probably raise his standing on this list at some point.


#17. TIZZY & El-A-Kru

Why? Because they expose. Because I’m loyal as hell. There will probably ALWAYS be a space on this list for El-A-Kru, if for no other reason than the fact that they orchestrated and sang one of the GREATEST FUCKING SONGS I HAVE EVER HEARD IN MY ENTIRE LIFE in Expose. Make no mention of the fact that they’ve remained solid ever since and were well solid even before, it just took such a wake up call to get my attention I guess. Well, I’m listening now Tizzy.


The Future? They’ll have good seasons, they’ll have not so good seasons and that’ll improve or lower they’re rating. However, in spite of that, Tizzy and co. will always have a place with me and are quite easily one of the most ‘secure’ non-top halfers on this list (and they’re probably more secure than some of the those too!).


#16. LADY SWEETY

Why? Because I recognize skill. Perhaps thinking with the wrong head in this case (and strike me down if you need to) but there is something WILDLY sexy about a woman who can hold a mic in the Dancehall and, in MOST cases, absolutely trump her male peers in terms of actual ability. As one of three French Caribbean artists on this list, Sweety (who is good friends, apparently, with the artist who will end up as my #10) takes a step down to neither of those HELLACIOUSLY skilled wordsmiths and she definitely makes it look a lot better, doesn’t she?


The Future? With an album out in the last quarter of the year reportedly, gaining a spot in the top half of this list may be a mere formality.


#15. MACHEL MONTANO

Why? MADNESS! As I said, they don’t get much madder than Skinny Fabulous but ‘they’ can simply take things to another level, definitely. This entry is surprisingly low for Machel, although I think its correct given that I didn’t particularly find his 2009 season to be his best and certainly not coming after the EXCELLENT previous two. Montano, like each and every Soca artist on this list (with the exception of the only one in my top half) is somewhat conditional with me because the bulk (and best) of his music primarily comes at one time and if I’m not liking it, I’m just not liking it. But when he’s on, we don’t speak in terms of ‘like’. We love it.

The Future? This time last year I would have probably ranked Machel over three or maybe even four of my top ten favourite artists and if this list were for all-all time, he’s there definitely and maybe even top five. So, another good season and we’ll see him back up there. Although his less literal ‘future’ may be less in his own position and more in that of the next entry on this list who he has helped in so many ways.


#14. PATRICE ROBERTS

Why? Because sometime I like to chill before I jump. Versatility is such a WONDERFUL, yet underrated quality for a Soca artist to have in my opinion. Isn’t it so nice that you can have a single artist competing for and doing well in a power type of Soca and then in a cool ass groovy style? And if you add those qualities to a twenty-three year old person? DAMN! Patrice Roberts is by far the leader of a new ‘class’ (in the scholarly sense) of Soca artist who take the proverbial part out of ‘proverbially’ taking things to the next level - and just does it. When at her best she can make some sweet, sweet vibes and do it in the presence of Machel or, her cousin, Bunji Garlin (who isn’t on this list) (but his wife is), and make you jump and wave at the same time. And did I mention she was only 23???


The Future? Patrice Roberts has the greatest upside on this list. Period.


#13. SAÏK

Why? Lyrics, I told you. Meet Aidonia with a few more years at his disposal. Words are Saïk’s playground, the youth simply is able to do things I don’t think I’ve heard from a French artist at this point. That even goes for his neighbour, Admiral T, a bonafide SUPERSTAR in his own right. While it remains to be seen if Saïk can have the sort of ultimate appeal and international ‘pull’ that Admiral T has had (although the more and more I hear from, it becomes harder and harder to imagine that he won’t), as of this very moment, being what he is, Saïk is undeniably one of the most talented Dancehall artists in the world.


The Future? Saïk is very odd in these terms because its simply HARD AS HELL to imagine him getting any better in terms of skill. He is quite rough around the edges but that is definitely part of his kind of ‘off the head top’ type of appeal, so I wouldn’t imagine he would try to change that in any way. However, should he want to someday voice more in English. . .


#12. FAYE-ANN LYONS

Why? Because I’m not deaf. If you really like Soca its not a matter of if Faye-Ann makes a list like this but more of a matter of where she ranks exactly. Circumstances not withstanding, Faye-Ann has simply been one of the, if not THE most consistent Soca artists of the past decade or so, WAY more so, in my opinion, than her husband, Bunji Garlin and slightly more so, and on the same level, as Montano. Her music, again, shows a far more diverse and varied set than both of those superstars who are about as likely to contend for a Groovy Monarch title as Luciano is to contend for a Power Monarch crown.

The Future? She most likely won’t redo what she did in 2009 ever again (although its not completely out of the question) but simply more activity from here altogether will raise her standing here. Although I think she’ll eventually cede her role in the music to #14 on this list, watching her wrap up her prime (and she still probably has four or five years left at that level) will be downright devastating.


#11. CAPLETON

Why? Loyal, I told you. Capleton could honestly rank as high as second on this list from a historical point of view and still ranks this high despite the fact that he isn’t (and hasn’t been for a few years now) the most active of artists. Still, its his music, second to only one, which I seem to gravitate to in kind moody moments of mine. Capleton has spent the second stage of his career basically stockpiling BEAUTIFULLY SPRAWLING Roots anthems and now, although his best days are behind him, any fan will still have to pay that big respect and still LOVE him for it.



The Future? Capleton’s music now exists in terms of history and its he, way more than even Machel and even more than Faye-Ann who goes directly near the top in that respect. However, written on some legal document stored away in some desk somewhere is the fact that he still has an album to do for VP Records. The last three times that link has been struck its been absolute magic. More magic from it and he’ll not only be back in the top half of this list but in the top half of that list also.

No comments:

Post a Comment