Tuesday, September 29, 2009

New Artist of The Month: Meet Dynamq!

Dynamq

Meet Dynamq! I try my best. Really I do! With my ultimate goal with this series being to eliminate what is considered the 'underground' of Reggae by introducing the masses to these very interesting talents, I have to be perfectly honest and admit: With this one, I've screwed up. The reason WHY I'm confessing is that the artist I bring you this month, Dynmaq, is apparently quite a big deal already. Not only that, but I had a very interesting experience with listening to his music, where I had his debut album, Sudanese Child, for a minute and just lost it and thought nothing of it for the most part.


That was until I received a message from a friend to "check out this new video from this guy from Sudan". Only to be the same Dynamq that I had previously come into contact with via his album. Of course, my misfortune continued as it took me both a minute to actually check the video and to actually recall that I knew this guy from somewhere! So who exactly had I messed up with? Dynamq is a SWEET SWEET SWEET voiced Afrikan artist who (apparently) now resides in Atlanta in the States, where he is quite popular and he's been stirring the pot and getting even further attention as well. This is evident by the fact that the 'clincher' of the thought I had to use him as my new artist of the month of September:

Was a new singer, Reggae Feeling for the very well regarded Tune In Crew from out of France (who has worked with Itation Records in building their World Go Round Riddim) (and wouldn't it be so nice to hear Dynamq voice for Itation in the future!). To my ears, just listening to the clips, Reggae Feeling is potentially his biggest tune to date as Dynamq very successfully taps into the role of sweet voiced old school Dancehall singer and plays it to perfection (including on the lyric "I see nuff Jamaicans rub a dub skankin with Afrikans") (BOOM!). The tune does not appear on the Sudanese Child (which is quite new to my knowledge) album and you have to wonder if Tune In is now planning a release of their own from the singer, or, at the very least, just more work in general on their releases. And, speaking of releases, Dynamq also featured on Swedish label Pleasure Beat's very well done Majestic Riddim:


Alongside Jamaican peers such as Luciano, Junior Kelly, Jah Mason, Natty King, Mark Wonder and Norris Man. And, yep, you guessed it. I also have the Majestic riddim and it never occurred to me, obviously, spend any kind of time on the anti-violence tune 'Inner City War' which is curiously sung by an artist by the name of Dynamq. . .

And (as if that weren't enough) (and it was), there is that video


and it isn't his only one

So! Take it from someone who knows and do not sleep on Dynamq. The artist is making big connections right now and his star is well on the rise and who knows with whom he'll work with next and how he'll develop along the way.


No comments:

Post a Comment