Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Post # 200: The Heights of Randomness

Yow! I started this thing on February 22, roughly 6 months and 10 days ago which is roughly 195 days and I already have 200 posts. That's cool and I always wanted to, first and foremost, pack this place with CONTENT, to the point where even when I don't feel like it doing it anymore, it kind of stands as some crazy ass reference guide (and, hopefully, I'm nowhere near done). Whatever is on here at the top these days, is almost certain to be 2nd the next day (and sometimes, like today, not even a whole day later) and not just under some stuff but under quality analysis or something kind of stupid but still interesting. I've gotten crazy feedback, it's literally to the point now where I'm getting about a solid 15 emails a day for this and still a few for something I may have put on Amazon who knows when. But I definitely want to give thanks for everyone who stops by and just the roll of readers and labels and artists who link me on a daily basis. I had my mother reading this stuff today and she was like shocked at how much stuff is on here.

A little while back we hit 100 reviews (it'll 104 tomorrow) which is insanity and let me check where I am on Amazon -586 with 1 private (I don't know what I did there). So with that 587 and I can literally count the crossover because its not that many, hold on. . . I got 24 and I only counted one time so lets just say 25, that's 75 and 587, by my (almost certainly fucked up) math, that's 662 reviews, which is damn good and, as this is my focus right now, I'd say 104 in lest than seven months, especially the way I write, is very good for a hobby. So I'll biggup myself!

This post is merely for some stuff I've seen. . . like wherever. . .:

We say thank you to Wycliffe Johnson, better known as 'Steely' of production duo Steely and Cleevie (pictured, right of Cleevie) who transitioned via reported heart attack, early yesterday morning in New York. Who knows how many of the songs I've reviewed and how many of the songs I'm listening to now and how many you're listening to now have been worked on by Steely and really without him and people like him, I'd have nothing to talk about and nothing to give me what Reggae does. So we say thank you to the man for his contribution as he begins his journey to immortality which he has so richly earned. Thank you Steely.


On a lighter note and one which I'd love to be able to give thanks for (**hint hint**): Did anyone notice that two of my reviews were linked on Ras Attitude's Facebook page but no one from Attitude's camp has emailed me to send me a copy of I Meditation so I can write a review for it also??? Did anyone else notice that or was I the only one??? Hmmmmm. . . (Attitude @ Facebook and tell him Achis sent you)



Tizzy is, of course, known for singing these big huge and ridiculously insane Soca songs but has anyone really ever noticed that the most significant thing about her (besides the hair) physically is that some time ago she apparently had, grafted to her skin, a flag??? Almost as if to signify the fact that should she be walking down the street, wherever, and a Soca show breaks out, just for no reason, that she'll be prepared! What a wonderful idea Tizzy. (check Tizzy out on Myspace)


Lukie D is apparently releasing an album, shockingly, on Greensleeves in the second week of October by the name of Love Again. I'm sure all the Lukie D fans are waiting for that. It'll be his highest profile release in awhile. Review not coming soon (unless I'm really really bored). (Lukie D @ Myspace)


My last new artist of the month, Spyrow, from a few days ago is apparently still doing big things as he's releasing an EP of sorts, Blessed. Which has a new song and three mixes on it of previous tunes. I don't know when this thing releases but it's something I'm definitely looking forward to (the digital sites have the release date as May 15, 2009 but they're not selling it at this point).


I heard this tune from awhile back and I didn't know it was a big deal and I didn't even know that it was Daly but apparently it's both. Hitmaker is releasing veteran Gwada Dancehall DJ Daly's (who I always thought was from Martinique) Soca vibed tune, Big Ting Poppin'. It's already on all of the digital sites and it comes with a clean version of the riddim also. Andddd they've made a nice sexy video for the people to see:


(and check Daly @ Myspace)


And speaking of videos: Has anyone ever noticed how just about EVERY Zouk video has at least something sexy about it???







And biggup Lindsey Lin'S in the first video, Les Beaux Jours, I LOVE that song from first time I heard it.

My favourite Soca compilation of 2008 was probably Monstapiece's Loaded 12.0. Monstapiece is back with their 2009 installment, AWOL and it's okay. To be honest, I was a bit letdown by it (I was planning on reviewing it at first), although Alison Hinds steals the show and there are solid efforts from Lil Rick, Edwin Yearwood, the annoyingly addictive Stabby and even Problem Child and Patrice Roberts. It's not horrible, mind you but it's just. . . Okay. AWOL hasn't made it to the digital sites as of yet but you can get it from the same place I swiped that picture, VP Reggae (still waiting on De Red Boyz' 2k9 album).


Speaking of albums: I thought that I may have been done with House Of Hits, at least for a minute, after the Sweetness album, but apparently I was wrong as they've also released an album for the WICKED St. Jago Dela Vega riddim which is virtually full of songs that I never heard before from the riddim, including one from Lazza from LMS apparently, so I'm definitely looking forward to that and you can expect a full review probably sometime next week HOPEFULLY.

My favourite Reggae song right now is Yeklo Yehoun from the aforementioned Spyrow:


My favourite Reggae album right now is still 2 Sides Of My Heart from Gramps Morgan , which has gone digital now so everybody run (or just sit your ass right there) and pick that up.

My favourite Soca tune right now is from Kage from out of Grenada with a crazy tune name Colours & Bumpas


As we still sift through releases from Spice Mas (and incidentally, I never mentioned it but Grenada 2009 Soca Monarch Mr. Killa also took Grenada Road March 2k9).

And I don't have a favourite Soca album right now but expect a full review from

Tizzy & El-A-Kru's DE ROAD SHOW coming sometime in September yeah.

And expect more of the same STUFF going on from the most VICIOUSEST Reggae writer on the EARF!

BALANCE
RasAchis

p.s. I don't know if you've noticed but Ernie B has a pretty ridiculous sale going on, stuff for basically pennies so check that out. And check out my favourite places because I'm adding two to the list right after I finish this.

No comments:

Post a Comment