Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Talento Naturale: A Review of The Burnin Melody by Lion D

Although I do speak constantly on the interesting aspect of and the sincere importance of both allowing and deliberately developing an artist in Reggae music, I do have to admit that no matter how much developing one does, there’s nothing, ultimately, which can compensate for NATURAL talent. You can take an artist and run him or her to some of the finest producers and players of instruments and while you will almost certainly create a talent, if you don’t have a foundation which is already in place before that process begins, you’ll most likely end up with an artist who is ‘built’ for the short-term and will eventually ‘falloff’ and disappear from the landscape. On the other hand, however, you can have an artist who isn’t afforded some of the more impressive links in the business, but has an infinite amount of natural ability and he or she, while definitely not attaining incredible levels of popularity, in terms of actual talent will arguably be the equal of anyone in the game. One of the more interesting examples I can think of in this respect is Sabbattical Ahdah. The Cruzan chanter came up in a time where there were (and remains) quite a few talented producers and musicians in his neck of the woods and while apparently not gifted to voice much with that bunch, did things largely under his own accord and, although I may believe it, I can’t very well sit here and argue to the point of absolutely certainty that someone like Ras Attitude (who has had a far greater opportunity in terms of recording than he) is CLEARLY more talented than Sabbattical Ahdah. By extension, I could even go back further and look at someone like Vaughn Benjamin who didn’t have that opportunity in the time when he would have come up and essentially, with his brother (and probably his Father), developed himself and is easily one of the most talented (and many would surely argue THE most talented) names in Reggae right now. I also look at someone like Natural Black, who toiled in virtual obscurity for quite awhile after moving to Jamaica from his native Guyana, but already had a very RAW and natural ability which served him well when he finally caught the attention of Beres Hammond and the likes. And sort of, in a way, I guess you could add Alborosie to that list. By no means my favourite artist (AT ALL), Alborosie has definitely done some developing in his native Italy to have attracted the attention that he has gotten over the years (and I do credit him for that). SO, either that means Alborosie has quite a bit of natural talent on his own or whatever in the hell is going on Italy is stronger than I’m giving it credit for, because when I first caught a listen of what was going on with the country’s latest Reggae export, Lion D, I was beyond IMPRESSED.

Who Lion D was and who Bizzarri Records were up until a few weeks back, I had no idea in either case. But when I saw the then forthcoming The Burnin’ Melody album and subsequently listened to the clips - again, BEYOND IMPRESSED. I also noted that I what I heard sounded like the kind of ‘roughness’ one typically associates with a very raw style (see Natural Black), but more importantly, I also heard talent and I heard it with some to SPARE. Now, finally get a hold of the album, I’m very comfortable saying that it lives up to my anticipations (EASILY) and not only that, but in doing further research on the artist, Lion D’s story became even more curious. First of all, he’s not really an Italian artist, he was born in the UK and had he still remained there (apparently he lives in Italy now) perhaps I wouldn’t have been as surprised given the very nice state of up and coming UK Reggae talents these days, but perhaps what is most notable of Lion D’s story is the fact that he seemingly just kind of picked up Reggae music one day and decided to ‘give it a shot’. His story reminded me much of the one of another European based artist who greatly impressed me with their debut album (although one who I had known of prior to its release) just last year Lyrical Faya, the substantially WICKED Cali P, a Gwada native residing in Sweden and while Cali P had definitely been given much more significant backing ostensibly (biggup Pow Pow), I definitely see many parallels between the two and apparently they’ve performed on the same bills as well. However, I may have to go as far (which is surprising to me) to say that Lion D shows even more promise and potential than Cali P at this point to my opinion. So what is it about Lion D? What I hear is an artist who just takes words and so easily tosses them into his flow that it almost sounds like he was either a long-term (WICKED) Dancehall or Hip-Hop artist before he found his way to Roots Reggae and His debut album, the aforementioned The Burnin Melody is ‘Exhibit A’ in my case for declaring him one of the most powerful talents to emerge internationally in 2009. Checking in at a very big boned twenty-one tracks, the album is blazing from beginning to end (The Blazin Melody???) and I’m so happy that my initial thoughts were spot on. The same Bizzarri Records supplies the backing for an artist who they apparently have dealt with quite extensively, so if you do ultimately find development here, perhaps it is due to the label a bit and definitely to the artist himself, but what you’re more likely to notice is the very free-flowing way in which the piece is put together and, still, even with Lion D’s style and the sheer SIZE of the project, it has a bit of cohesiveness which is also surprising. By its end, I find myself struggling to find a likelier choice, but I’m pretty sure that The Burnin Melody is the single best debut album I’ve heard in all of Reggae this year.

I was trying to think of an artist who Lion D sounds similar to in terms of tone and RIDICULOUSLY, I relate his sound (AND ONLY HIS SOUND) to a mix which includes one of my least favourite artists, Al Pancho, and Lion D‘s, Chukki Starr. And coming in with something definitely both artists would be proud of is Lion D on his new debut album The Burnin Melody from Bizzarri Records and he kicks things off with by far one of the catchiest and BEST moments on the entire album ‘Money’. The tune kind of strikes in two ways, with the first being that ‘yeah, people want to get paid (and especially young people)’, but he also seems to have a negative view (and rightfully so in my opinion) of the things people ’have’ to do and are forced to do to get paid. It’s a very interesting son and that one-drop backing it is downright ANGRY. BIG opener. Next in is a tune on which you hear quite a bit of Al Pancho, but I like this tune, ‘Good Ganja Herb’. Of course you know what this tune is about, but definitely don’t think of it in this kind of lame of stale term which means that every ganja anthem must fit into some stereotype (because they do), and while the tune definitely does have some familiar elements (DUH!), it stands as probably the most refreshingly vibed (despite the old school riddim) ganja tune that I’ve heard since Kali Blaxx’ WICKED ‘One Smoke’. ‘This Time’ kind of slows things down and changes the vibes in general altogether. It’s a pretty slow tune, but it’s worded very powerful and typically as well from what you hear from Lion D throughout the album. It’s a very nice and inspirational vibes and while he chooses to personalize it by using himself, I’m sure Lion D meant this one to serve a similar function to the masses worldwide. I don’t know if Lion has ever been to the States or to Canada and he’s a little late in either case, but he’s having his very own Thanxgivin’ and evidently have a very good time also. This tune is a very nicely vibed reminder to all to be grateful for what we have and you could maybe call it a little sappy, but the tune grows on you quite quickly, so if you want to do that, you better hurry up! Nice song there. ‘Show More Love’ is even stronger to my ears and definitely one of the biggest tunes on the album (as was Thanxgivin’ actually) and another lyrical interest. This tune features Lion actually substantiating the concept of ‘love’ and presenting it as one which, in and of itself, can “change the world”. So critical in fact is it to him that Lion D is begging the masses to do what the title says and I’m begging right next to him (love the flow on this tune, pay a nice attention definitely). And then there’s ‘Love’s Taking Me Over’. Okay, this tune is a pretty good (love the riddim), but the most remarkable thing about it is that it introduced me to a certain Miss Linda! Linda is another Bizzarri find, an Afrikan singer from Italy and further listening to her material, I have been well impressed and hope maybe early in 2K10, she can have an album of her own (oh and Miss Linda - You sexy). Love the use of the classic riddim on ‘Cyaan Seh Me Neva Seh So’ and just the tune altogether as well, definitely check that one; ‘The Only Way’ which is a tune which sounds so SWEET and it expands on the concept of ‘Show More Love’; and check the BIG social commentary that is ‘Take Care’. This tune is quite lyrically complicated to my ears, but well worth digging into and just a JOY to listen to, not because of the sound, but the significant message indeed. HUGE tune. And the first half of The Burnin Melody concludes with a pit stop at the sub-two minutes ‘Acoustic Thing’ which is beautiful and ‘Behold’ which is a ROLLING praise to His Imperial Majesty which is definitely one of the best tunes on the album and another inspirational vibes. I’m worn out! And that’s just the first half of the album. WOW!

The second half of Lion D’s The Burning Melody has mighty large shoes to fill but it gets off to about as nice of a start as possible with ‘Live Long’. I’ve heard quite a few tunes like this, but again, the Lion’s natural style definitely gives his song quite a bit of originality and this very bouncy tune impresses to nearly no end. ‘Practise What You Preach’ doesn’t take Lion D in the direction of the late and great Barry White (fortunately) (I was nervous for a minute there), but it does take him even further towards the aforementioned Chukki Starr, because this kind of ‘edgy’ sounding vibes the UK veteran would make on his own, but in the capable hands of Lion D, it still proves to be a winner. As do the next two tunes up ‘Hypocrite’ and ‘Some Bwoy’ (even though the latter gives you a bit of pause with the classical piano which introduces it). Hypocrite is a very strong Dancehall track, as is Some Bwoy, but about the former, I’ll make this connection (I THINK) for the first time and say that it sounds like a Frenchie Dancehall track with the riddim almost being overhype (pick up an old Admiral T album and you’ll hear what I mean I think), but as usual, the Lion handles it well (and this tune is still growing on me actually). BUT! You want to talk about Dancehall and hype tunes? that all reaches its zenith with the next tune in ‘Don’t Ramp With Me‘ , which is my choice as the best tune on the entire album (even though it’s probably not). EPIC! You see how things go with an artist like Lion D where he can spend the large majority of the previous fifteen tracks on a Roots style, or a Roots hybrid style, but the second you interject a pure old school vibed Dancehall riddim, he doesn’t hiccup at all and delivers a HUGE tune which is exactly what Don’t Ramp With Me is. You’ll definitely find more meaningful material here (like the next five tunes consecutively), but this one is a MASSIVE guilty pleasure with nearly master level Dancehall deejaying to my ears (and, incidentally, Cali P also had such a tune if I recall correctly, ‘Right Around Di Corner’, later on his album as well)! The moving ‘Stay Conscious’ moves things back in a familiar direction for The Burnin Melody and it also sets the stage for two consecutive love songs ‘Just Like The Way You Are’ and ‘You Know That I Love You’. To my opinion Just Like The Way You Are is the stronger of the two and one of the strongest on the entire project with it’s very nice swinging one-drop (and incidentally, should you get this from an etailer, you should notice that these two tunes are flip-flopped with each other on every one that I’ve seen thus far). And of course Lion D couldn’t ride off into the sunset without offering at least one more surprise and he does so in an absolutely eye-catching way for me on the POUNDING ‘Rise’, the second official combination for The Burnin Melody which happens to feature none other than the inescapable Lutan Fyah! Apparently the Fyah has been active in Italy as there’s also a combination with himself and the also impressive Ras Tewelde and Rise is a product of that and it is VERY strong with two very talented lyricists both holding their own and delivering a wonderful message to the people to realize our strength and RISE (still, the Fyah pauses things when he says “If a grave dem a dig tell dem fi dig two. Dem fight against me, dem will fight against you). And lastly is ‘Nah Like Da Way Deh’ a very jovially vibed song which just makes you feel good listening to it and Lion D closes things up with a message against the corrupt members of society who only concern with themselves and don’t look at those less fortunate and less fortunate because of their actions. If you listen to it keenly, the title is very interesting because it plays so crucially into the actual tune and becomes the actual basis for it all, not just the chorus (and that second verse is MADNESS, “You know see a just plan dem a plan, fi enslave humanity. Dem no waan fi see we live in love and prosperity. To make it look like a global conspiracy, to hold the people down and keep them in poverty. . . ). If I was tired after the first half (and I was), now I actually need a nap! Whew.

Overall, I should mention that despite its incredible size and the way I may have made it seem, The Burnin Melody is a JOY to listen to throughout (even though it might take you a few days to get through) (consider it a novel). Also, as I said before, it definitely has a cohesiveness to it. It doesn’t seem like they just recorded a billion singles, picked the best twenty-one for the album and the only thing they have in common is the artist who voices them, there is a definitive common sticking point here which is LOVE. That’s a coincidence, because I LOVE this album and I knew I would going in. Lion D’s style is one which comes through very easy and although he well retains a bit of that ‘gruffy’ and ‘rough around the edges’ flavour to him (and hopefully he always will), his lyrics and messages (always spot on), come through very nicely and THEY JUST WORK. Lion D is the latest in a strong line of artists who can just get through on a seemingly ‘given’ ability and a natural command of the music. He clearly has developed quite a bit on that, but should he have the opportunity someday to take that to ‘the next level’, the results could be devastating. Meet my new favourite Italian Reggae artist and yet another candidate for album of the year. AMAZING! GO GET IT!

Rated 5/5
Bizzarri Records
2009

2 comments: