Thursday, July 8, 2010

Check It Vol. 13

{Note: A few of these releases may not be available yet, but should be very shortly}

Luciano - “United States of Africa” [VP Records]



Of course, going first this week is the biggest recent drop (that I haven’t already reviewed) as ‘The Messenjah’, Luciano, returns with his brand new album, “United States of Africa”, for VP Records. Having been around from basically forever at this point, it’s a wonder the singer can STILL excite, compel and just CHALLENGE his listeners because you start to think that we’ve basically heard it all at this point. Besides just sounding more ‘into it’ this time around, Luciano also links up with Frenchie from Maximum Sound for the very first time and comes on the heels of artists like Jah Mason, Lukie D and most notably Anthony B, all of whom have made albums (and nice ones) for Maximum Sound. This one should be a similar hit because it is very strong and despite the fact that it kind of seems to have popped up kind of early, when the masses catch on that it’s released, they should eat up this very RICH album.

{review coming Friday}

SamX - “De Causes à Effets” [Genesiz]



I’d actually saw this one up just before we left and was so happy to see that after two big French releases earlier this year - Admiral T’s "Instinct Admiral” and Kalash’s self titled set (and biggup Yeahman‘C and Young Chang MC also)- That it wouldn’t be too long at all before another big name stepped forward as well as the android-ish and demonic SamX pushes in with (I THINK) his sophomore album, “De Causes à Effets”. Despite the fact that my favourite SamX tune of recent (the Soca vibed ‘I Di Mwen’) is absent, you can still expect MADNESS from one of the most inventive names currently in all of Dancehall right now. You can also expect a ridiculous Achis-like review when I get my paws on it (unfortunately what you can’t expect is a SamX-Saïk combination, but we’re still waiting).

Krys - “Step Out” [Aztec Musique]



I was kind of quietly expecting Krys to jump up with something in 2010 (actually I was more expecting it last year when he had caught fire with a big tune) and he picked a pretty nice time to go up with SamX as yet another nice duo of French Caribbean artists dropping a pair of albums in close proximity to one another. Krys is a bit more ‘terrestrial’ (in terms of sound) than SamX and just in general approach and the result, usually, is just a very good time is to be had when he drops and having already picked this one up and skimmed through it a bit, it sounds like more of the same from Krys with a high-powered type of vibes. Also, there’s the fact that the previously alluded to “big tune”, ‘Hustla’, a combination featuring both Jamaican stars Vybz Kartel and Aidonia, is also on board ”Step Out” is ‘Bye Bye’, a combination with Zoukie Fanny J and even a salute to passed legendary Pan-Africanist, Aimé Césaire.

“The Hit List Vol. 2” [Tad’s International/Zojak Worldwide]

If you haven’t been paying too close of an attention to what’s going on in the Dancehall these days, you might want to go ahead and grab up the second installation of ”The Hit List” which features a very healthy dosage of tunes which have been popular in the Dancehall over the course of the past six months or so. So with that being said, you already know to expect quite a few big names in the process and that’s exactly what’s going on here - Kartel, Mavado, Beenie Man, Lady Saw, I-Octane, Tarrus Riley & Aidonia, Merciless and others dominate this very healthy tracklist and make this piece EASILY oneo fthe most attractive compilations on the market right now. Not only that but good luck finding some of this material on other (official) projects. Songs like Mavado’s ‘Starlight’, ‘Di Trees’ from Riley and Aidonia and particular Saw’s ‘Me Hold You’ (and the album contains both the clean and raw editions of the tune) just aren’t going to be stuck onto a ton of albums as of yet. Big release.

“Kings Highway” [Reality Chant Productions]

Speaking of potentially big compilations - I’ve yet to actually get my hands on this one as of yet, but I have a VERY good feeling about it as it seems to play from the same producers as one of one of my favourite tunes altogether in recent times, Natty King’s WICKED ‘Fyah Bed’. That same tune is present on the “Kings Highway” from New Zealand based Reality Chant Productions as are a few other usages of that big riddim. And also on the lot are names like Lutan Fyah, Jah Mason, Zareb, Chrisinti and even Mikey General. These big artist are joined by a few lesser known lights including local (to New Zealand) songstress Porina, who sounds very nice and I can’t wait to hear her tune and this entire potentially BIG time project.

“Reggae Zone Mix-CD First Edition” [Tiger Records/Zojak Worldwide]



Of course you all know that mixtapes certainly aren’t my favourite thing, but you should also know that I make exceptions. Well I’m going to add Achis Reggae favourite Sherkhan of Tiger Records to a list highlighted by DJ Child and the likes of people who can make good mixtapes, because he’s adding his name to the bunch with the very first “Reggae Zone Mix-CD”. The reason why I like this one (unsurprisingly, I did just tell you he was one of my favourites) is because a great deal of the material is proven by me, I already like it. Seriously, you just kind of casually place what is probably the best song I’ve heard all year, ‘Cross Me Heart’ by Junior X, on a mixtape and you’ve got my attention and you’ve got it IMMEDIATELY. Not to mention other big tunes from the likes of Sizzla, Diana Rutherford (WICKED combination tune, ‘Under The Covers’ alongside Assailant), Norris Man, Perfect, Lutan Fyah and others - Add those and you now have my undying respect. Big big piece.


Midnite [Rastar Records/Zojak Worldwide]

I thought that I’d go ahead and throw this one in the mix briefly because a little while back when these two albums, ”Ina Now” and ”To Mene” dropped, they did push, but unfortunately they didn’t go digital (and neither were stellar, at least not in my opinion, so they’re definitely of the ‘pick and choose’ variety) and now they have courtesy of the most magical place on earth, Zojak Worldwide. Rastar Records have issued quite a bit of their recent back catalogue through them as well so all of those compilations (like ”King of Kush” and ”Defender of The Faith”) are also available for your digital consumption. Have at it boys and girls.

Snake Charmer Riddim [Red Nile Music/Zojak Worldwide]



When I actually figured out exactly what in the hell the Snake Charmer Riddim was, I got VERY happy that it had made its way to an album because it, in and of itself (not saying the songs are), is EXCELLENT! The riddim featured prominently on Lutan Fyah’s unforgettable giant double spread, ”Africa” from 2008 on the song ‘I Love Everything About You’ and here it is just as attention-getting and downright dazzling as it was a couple of years back. Joining the Fyah (and Sophia Squire, the previously unaccredited female singer who joins him on the tune) is an impressive outfit of veterans and up and comers - Names like Tony Curtis, Hezron, Torch (twice), old man Lucal Lynch and Carol Gonzalez (also a remix of the big tune as well). So even if those names, or some of them, definitely give an eye and an ear to this one sleeper riddim album of 2010 (cool cover too).

Empress Roberta - “Cold Heart” [Kick Off Records]



. . . Ehhh. I’m of two minds here - On one hand, Empress ROBERTHA releasing a new album is a big thing, because her first, ”Solid Ground”, was just so nice and solid and well done, so ultimately the fact that she’s returning and doing so very quickly is a pretty big deal. Also, that first album had a few holes in it in terms of tunes people may’ve known from the singer which weren’t there and her new album, ”Cold Heart” might have them. HOWEVER, this one has issues. First of all, her name is misspelled which is simply inexcusable, unless they’re changing her name (and if they are, it’s no longer inexcusable, it’s just RIDICULOUS at this point). Second of all . . . What is it? Even the first album had a little promo for it. This one just came up from out of nowhere and here it is. Ultimately, like I said, it will come down to whether or not it’s good and ROBERTHA does good work to my opinion. I’ve yet to actually pick this one up (and may never), but the clips sound very nice, there’re some tunes here which you may know which weren’t on the first set (particularly ‘These Wars’) and I’d be genuinely surprised if it wasn’t quality material. . . But I just don’t feel too good about the way it’s set.

Roll Out Riddim [Irievibrations]



I wrote about this one awhile back for United Reggae and apparently having lost track of time - They actually released it. This one is Reggae meets Santana circa 1975 or so. Big long ass ugly Cadillac, 8 track playing piece of riddim is the Roll Out from Austrian bad asses, Irievibrations. Despite how utterly strange this one is (and it most certainly is), it’s still carried out well and I suppose it’s just a matter of whether or not you’re going to like it. Of course, I can’t tell you that, but to ensure that you just might, Irievibrations has enlisted talents like Tifa, Konshens, Ward 21 and Konshens & Delus (separately).

“King Yellowman Mash Up Chicago” [Chicago Reggae Vibration]

This one seems like a pretty good idea, although I can’t say how well it was carried out as of yet. Someone (Herbert Weedhead Spliffington) (who may actually be Yellow Man himself) apparently just up and decided to record a random King Yellow Man show in Chicago on some random date and . . . Sell it! Well, since I wasn’t there (and you probably weren’t either and even if you were, you probably didn’t know it) (I think the last time I saw Yellow Man live would’ve been . . . 2005 maybe), I’d like to have an opportunity to hear it. Why not? Yellow Man, even this far on, ALWAYS gives a good show and listening through this one, the intensity sounds decent, nice crowd response and you can never have too many live albums in my opinion (biggup Louie Culture).

Kali Blaxx - ‘Mama Teaching’ [Nicko Rebel Music/Zojak Worldwide]



WICKED up and coming artist, Kali Blaxx (from out of St. Ann!), returns with a big new single following several (especially ’One Smoke’), which definitely went to getting his name out to the masses good and proper. This piece, ’Mama Teaching’ from Nicko Rebel Music has been getting a bit of attention and hopefully the fact that you can now grab it up digitally will make it even more potent on the international side. The tune, like all of his work that I’ve heard thus far, is BIG. Obviously, it’s a tune for Mama and we can never have too many of them (if they’re good - Tunes and Mamas) and this one is more than just “good”. Definitely keep an eye out for Blaxs, big future ahead of the man.

Zebi-Lion EP [Andrew Bassie Records/Zojak Worldwide]

I thought that I’d mention this one quickly as just going through stuff seeing what we were going to keep and what we were going to get rid of, I kind of stumbled into this one. This release is simply three tunes - ‘Babylonian Inna Problem’, ‘Messages’ and ‘More Love’ - From an artist whose name I know, but couldn’t tell you a thing about in Zebi-Lion. Apparently the Lion is from Grenada and how he found himself to Jamaica and working with the very prolific likes of Bassie Campbell is a mystery to me (and I don’t care that much actually), but the work they’ve done here is VERY impressive! And from what I’ve read (I think), an album is on the way. There’s no reason for you to stop and check this one very closely at all, but what you’re most certainly going to pass over is pretty big material - And for the sake of reference, when I first heard it, I thought Zebi-Lion sounded like a much more enthusiastic version of Determine and there you go. Big vibes.

Lady Sweety & Jessica Dorsey - ‘Pwan Tan Gadé’ [Taïnos Records]

And lastly, I thought I’d mention ‘Pwan Tan Gadé’ [‘In Time’], from Achis Reggae favourite, Gwada Dancehall superpower Lady Sweety, alongside THE name in French Gospel, Jessica Dorsey (who I believe is from Madinina originally). The tune is inspirational and on an anti-violence and anti-corruption type of vibes and I GUESS it’ll work to help tide me over for the inevitable BOOM which is “Ma Vérité”, Lady Sweety’s hopefully soon to be released new album.

No comments:

Post a Comment