Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Stuff: "Charge Up"

YOW!
So I tell you I'm coming back on such a day, such a day reaches and I'm back yeah! So let's go, no long talking. Of course the big piece of news round here is the fact that Skinny Fabulous charged up and took St. Vincy Soca Monarch 2010, his third crown consecutively, which is ridiculous now. In my mind, he took the crown with his third or fourth (or even fifth if you count the remix), best tune of the season, 'Duracell'. I thought (and predicted) that he would win, but I'm getting to the point where I'm starting to take in too much information - So make no mistake about it, Skinny Fabulous currently is the best Soca artist St. Vincy has to offer and from the first word utter, ". . . LIKE A PACK AH DURACELL!", you know it was over from nobody ever have so much intensity before him and the ones who figure to maybe have such, Fireman Hooper and Problem Child had already gone.




The man killed the bunny, charged it up and brought it back to life. It was madness and I cried like a baby! AND I THINK I WASN'T THE ONLY ONE! The Wife, who hates everything, of course was a bad ass and showed no emotion whatsoever, besides losing her damn mind, but I happened to glance at Bredz (my Wife's brother for the new people) and obviously overwhelmed, his spectacles came off several times during the performance . . . And I'll leave it there.

Besides Skinny, Fireman came second with 'Battlefield', he was high intensity like usual and like last year I do think he deserved second. Problem Child with 'Delinquents' was likely to grab third, but he didn't because he was (really) bested by Maddzart, whose 'The King Road' took third, but all four at the top did very well in my opinion. I also liked the girls - One was Fire Empress, and Tisa and Tomisha - They all did good to my opinion. Everyone was decent, people were talking about the show should be shorter (it was 18 this year) and, of course, I'm always in favour of that (and if you're headed to Lucia this weekend, you'll agree with me like hell come Sunday morning), but I didn't have a problem with this year's show at all. I was very entertained and it was well worth the trip. I think they announce Road March tomorrow (today when you read this) and 'Duracell' is the most popular tune in Vincy now, clearly, but I'm still not picking it to take the road and I'm actually leaning more towards Maddzart (who even alluded to it maybe being his focus in his performance. . .

I think that's it, oh! The Fireman does leave the season with a bit of hardware as he surprisingly took Ragga Soca Monarch (Vincy's 'Groovy'). I had Galanaire there (who came second) (Maddzart was third) and biggup Alison Hinds and all that ass. So yeah, great trip, got a few business things done also and ran into a familiar face or two also. Don't know if we'll be back next year, but chances are likely. Biggup Vincy massive.

This Saturday - Is St. Lucia's Soca Monarch. Unsurprisingly, we're sitting this one out this year and as I read on it, we made an excellent choice. For me the story here is that they're putting both the Groovy and Power Monarch competitions on the same stage on the same day and they both have fifteen 15 competitors. WHICH MEANS THAT IF YOU REACH ST. LUCIA SOCA MONARCH 2010, YOU'RE GOING TO HAVE TO STAND THERE FOR THIRTY PERFORMANCES IN ONE FUCKING NIGHT! Good luck with that!

Last year's winners Alpha (Groovy) and Ricky T (Power) are both back and defending. They're also the favourites and I'm pretty sure Ricky T is going to win again (which would be the 1900th time he won that thing), but I think the most likely source to spring the upset is someone liek Q-Pid or maybe even DJ HP, everyone is eating his tune up. Still, you know my favourite tune from Lucia this year comes via the same artist who gave it last year as Ilah Man apparently did not get his money back last year and is apparently now just all fucked up in his brain and mad as hell!



And I'm also thinking Q-Pid can trouble Alpha in Groovy (she's going to win one of these damn things one of these years) and I think she'll be joined by Nicole David and her innuendo laced 'Mr. Dean Dough' and TC Brown with the coolest song in the world 'Ah Taking A Wine':



And of course Ricky T will win Road March, because he wins every year. So check that out, good luck if you're going and I plan on watching as well.

Okay, with all the madness out of the way, turn our attention to more madness because my Dutchies are in the finals of the World Cup and could potentially be joined by Spain in a few hours. I predicted Spain to win, but The Netherlands, of course, are my favourites left and I'll be cheering for them mad against either Germany or Spain. Germany looked crazy against Argentina, but Spain should be pretty damn hard to beat, considering that they ALWAYS HAVE THE DAMN BALL. I didn't watch as much in the past two weeks, but you know I went mad out when Holland ate up Brazil's food and I liked Argentina, but I didn't at all mind seeing them lose. Oh and France of course went out, but I think I mentioned Florent Malouda from Guyane and lo and behold France scored one goal the entire competition and it was he who dun it! So biggup Malouda and France has apparently gone mad. Loved the game today (yesterday by time you read this) with Holland erupting in the second half and then Uruguay just going crazy at the end, which I watched nervously with a towel over my face.

Coming Up
So we're back and it's business as usual. Big things coming in July, already have one with Capleton (in stores now and biggup Bredz who greeted me with a package containing it and three other albums when we linked him) have another on Friday and probably two more next week. Let's go!

  • Expect the big review for Luciano's new album "United States of Africa" coming on Friday. Next week you'll get Busy Signal's "D.O.B." on its release date and you'll also (HOPEFULLY) get a review for Jah Mason's new album which I have already (but do not know the name of). And in the coming weeks expect reviews for Gentleman (hopefully before the end of July), Bryan Art (done), Franz Job (done) and who knows who else. Also have a 'Modern Classic' written and ready to go (have no idea when I'm posting that, however).
  • Have a big edition of 'Check It' hopefully sizing up for tomorrow. A lot of very interesting things dropped (and are coming still) in the last two weeks and hopefully we're going to play catch-up and tell you about a few of them that you should check out.
  • Have what is probably the best edition of 'Video Drop' that I've ever done (still have one more to add to it actually) and you can expect that sometime this week and biggup Ras Champion on that (and you know why).
  • Of course, whole heap of other things as well. Maybe a vault review of the most interesting sort (because I haven't done one in awhile). And the end of July marks the end of the first half of the year so you know you can expect first half 'Best of' lists in the last week of the month and after a month's divergence (I had a good excuse), the return of 'Artist of The Month'. Oh and definitely send in suggestions for big tunes which WILL be running on this coming Sunday and for this week only I have absolutely no problem posting multiple suggestions from multiple different people, so do your best my friends.
Biggup everyone, I have a ton of email to go through and if you asked me for something you can really do me a big favour and send it back again so I can see it up top. It was interesting how I get like 7 emails from new people saying that they're new readers while I'm not writing. It's like the time give everyone a minute to read the old stuff so, welcome my new friends and re-welcome my old ones. We're back. More life, more madness.

BALANCE
RasAchis

Song?
Meet my neighbour



Pictured

Charge Up

Like a Duracell

No comments:

Post a Comment