Thursday, August 26, 2010

Check It Vol. 16

Queen Majeeda - “Our Glorious Past” (EP) [Queen Majeeda]

Okay - Up first is a release with a bit of a story behind it. First of all, you may or may not remember Queen Majeeda from quite awhile back, her biggest moment was the tune ‘Gye Nyame’, which helmed an album by the name of ”Conscious”, released way back in 1993 (when I was 12 years old). Well, she’s back with what I think will be her sophomore release, ”Our Glorious Past”, which is a five track set from the artist. Apart from that, we apparently mentioned Majeeda a few weeks back on a beautiful tunes Sunday and she saw that and linked me and said thank you and revealed that she had a new project already released and a brand new website which will inform the masses on what she’s been up to. So, there’s never a time for a comeback like right now and Majeeda is back on these tunes with her typical chanting/spoken word type of vibes and it works for her, just like it always does, so definitely check out ”Our Glorious Past”.

Digital

Shabba Ranks - ‘Drive Dem Crazy’ (single) [John John Records]



Next in is what I believe to be the very first digitally released single from the incomparable Shabba Ranking, ‘Drive Dem Crazy’, which was produced by the King’s son, John John. For years, Shabba has been saying that he was working on his next album and would release it “when it was finished” and perhaps this is a sign that his work is nearing completion because I’ve heard two relatively fresh tunes from Shabba in the last couple of months or so and this one finally reaches now worldwide. Shabba isn’t what he used to be and his kind of mechanical with his flow these days, but I’d say that STILL 80% of what Shabba used to be is better than most Dancehall acts and what he does with this tune is still quite impressive.

Digital

Mallchest - “Order” [Surviver Productions]

I was pretty surprised to see this one up and going because I had absolutely no idea that it was forthcoming, but very strong singer (also from out of St. Andrew, like Majeeda, incidentally), Mallchest, has apparently largely chosen to forgo the typical process of becoming known on a grand stage before delivering one’s album in Reggae and he’s leapt full-on right out there with his debut album ”Order”. The tune on here that you MIGHT be familiar with is, of course, ‘Be Still’, but just looking through (and listening), there seem to be quite a few more impressive and potentially impressive songs. I’m not going to crown it a WINNER or anything like such and I may never even get around to reviewing it, but . . . Let’s just say I have a pretty good opinion about this one. So beat me to it and give it a listen and tell me what you think.

CD & Digital

Compassion Riddim [Troyton Music]



I thought that I’d mention the Compassion Riddim from Troyton Music, despite the fact that I’m not terribly impressed with it, because as I speak to more and more people about it, I find that I’m nearly completely alone in my indifference for it. I believe that the producer here, Troy Hines, also would have produced the Water Drops Riddim from awhile back for Amplex (which I think is gone) and (and now I confirmed that he did, in fact, make that riddim) also the Freedom Riddim - Both of which I LOVE, they’re beautiful. But the Compassion is . . . Well it’s not Reggae music first of all. It’s pretty much R&B and clearly against Hines’ previous work (but apparently, as I learn more, Seanizzle built this piece) and it’s just unimpressive to my ears. Of the names on board, Bugle, Mavado, I-Octane, Charly Black, Mavado and T’Nez and others (including Goofy), the only one, unsurprisingly, that I like is Sizzla who chimes in with ‘No One’. But again, apparently I’m on an island with that opinion, so you may very well enjoy this release. Check it.

Digital

Sex Appeal Riddim [Chimney Records]



Okay - You know that the Sex Appeal Riddim (which I keep, for some reason, calling the ‘Sexy Body Riddim’) isn’t Dancehall right? I mean that’s clear right? It’s pretty much a high-tech R&B riddim (or a lo-tech Hip-Hop piece I suppose), but that doesn’t mean that it’s bad and it got quite a nice push a little while back and so I thought that I’d make you lovely people aware of the latest release from the talented boys at Chimney Records as that riddim has now reached digital album format. With names like Aidonia, Bounty, Bramma, Mavado, Ele, Serani, Stein and Flexx, you’re almost certain to find something that you enjoy (personally, I’m going with Aidonia’s ‘Cyan Done’ as the riddim’s finest piece), but to my ears . . . Something’s missing.

Digital

Basik Instink Riddim [Madd Spider Productions]



Okay - Now THIS IS a Dancehall riddim and I was sooooooo happy to see the Basik Instink (freaky spelling and all) from Madd Spider Productions, make it to the digital platform and do so with a few more tracks than I had actually heard previously. This thing just KNOCKS! And while names like Sean Ryte, the Arkitech, All Purpose and Taranchyla may not exactly be household names, certainly anyone disappointed with those are sure to be just as impressed with the likes of Gyptian, Buju Banton, Wayne Wonder and even Mega Banton and Fiona of all people. So if you’re passing out STARVING for some real Dancehall, you’ll have more than a good time with this one.

Digital

The Slow Rush Riddim [Dejavu Lifstyle Music]



This one - Kind of in between. After dropping the WICKED Reggae piece, the High Horse Riddim, earlier this year, Dejavu Lifestyle Music is a label that popped up on my radars and I’ve kept an eye out for them since then and lo and behold I actually knew of their latest creation, The Slow Rush Riddim, before I even knew that it was their work. This riddim is kind of Hip-Hoppish and Dancehall-ish at the same time and on those levels in does work, just as it does work in the more than capable hands of the likes of Beenie Man, Junior Reid, surprisingly Ziggi Recado, D’Angel and Suhverto. Certainly not every piece here is stellar (there’re nineteen tracks on this one), but it’s just as certain that you’re going to find SOMETHING that catches your attention. Well done in many respects.

Digital

“Extreme Culture” [Chad Supreme Records]



This thing has a name of Its own , obviously - It’s ”Extreme Culture” - A seventeen track Roots Reggae compilation. Now, I think that Chad Supreme Records gave it that name because they forgot the name of the single riddim over which every song on the album is voiced and after a bit of research, that riddim is called the Talking Riddim. I searched high and I searched low because the Sizzla song on this thing, ‘Praise Jah & Live’ annoyed the hell out me that I couldn’t remember where I knew it from and after I did discover that it was present on the ”African Children” album, it took me forever to physically find that album. But, with all that being said, this thing is pretty good actually and I don’t even remember most of these songs which are almost a decade old by now. Joining Kalonji are the expected likes of Anthony B, Luciano, Determine, Half Pint and Linval Thompson and a few nice surprises such as Natty King (alongside Graddiel), Tyrical (alongside Singing Sweet) and, once again, the wonderful Fiona.

Digital

Dream Dayz Riddim [Young Veterans/Zojak Worldwide]



Okay and as for the final riddim release this week (I’m seriously just going to stop looking after I write this one), we reach back to the Young Veterans crew who jumps in the gap with their new Dream Dayz Riddim. First of all, it should definitely be said that this riddim is gorgeous! It is absolutely stunning and while it might, ever so slightly, stretch into realms such as Jazz and R&B, this most certainly is a very modern vibed Roots Reggae riddim and thankfully the boys and girls at Young Veterans have treated it as such by voicing artists such as Bugle, Perfect, Teflon (who is in a fine form on his tune, ‘So Hard’), Fyakin, Spanner Banner, the always welcomed Spanner Banner, Hyah Slyce and others (like Cutty Corn, Geoffrey Star and Sheba). This one is already scores very high in quality so definitely check it this week.

Digital

Delus - “My Reality The EP” [Triple 7 Entertainment]



Konshens has certainly been the one to get the lion’s share of the attention between the two and because there’s literally no chance that such attention will be spread evenly between the two, there’s nothing wrong with that and Konshens is an extremely talented artist. But so is Delus and the fact that he is releasing what I believe to be his first solo EP via Triple 7 Entertainment, ”My Reality” is definitely a big deal, in general, for his career. This release features four very nice tunes, ’Mek Badmind Sorry’, ’What’s Your Purpose' (the strongest selection here, definitely), 'Sticky A Road’ and ’True Love’. All of them are, at the very least, decent and hopefully we’re going to start seeing and hearing more of Delus as a big time solo artist for the rest of this year and beyond.

Digital

Ever-G - “Jah Love” [Ever G Muzik]

While the name Ever-G is one which isn’t totally foreign to me, to be completely honest, I couldn’t tell you very much about him and, after going through pages and pages of releases, there was really nothing about this album. And to be even more honest (and a little blunt), it’s probably somewhat destined to be ‘lost in the shuffle’ for most fans - But that’s a damn shame because after simply listening through the clips and I could feel it - This is HIGH quality material here and I’m seriously thinking about picking it up! I wasn’t blown away, I didn’t hear anyone ‘taking it to another level’ or some bullshit like that, but what I heard was simply very very solid material and I have a nice ear for SOLID and, to my opinion, Ever-G’s ”Jah Love” is soaking in it. Pick it up and let us know what you think.

CD & Digital

Norris Man - ‘Never Dis Emmanuel’ (single) [Freezeland Entertainment]



Okay, I thought that I’d mention a couple of more singles here and the first is a most interesting release from the most interesting Norris Man. I’ve always maintained that when the man is on his game, he can be one of the best in the business and ‘Never Dis Emmanuel’ finds him in such a strong form that I definitely had to put it up here this week. This is one SPICY tune and I listened to it the first time and was immediately impressed. Big tune here. And I should also mention the fact that, if you like that riddim (and you should), apparently the label, Freeze land (whoever they are) (I think they‘re from Canada), also recently dropped a next tune on it, ‘Keep The Faith’, which features the up and coming I-Brilliance (also from Canada) alongside the most ridiculous, Jah Cure.

Digital

Ishi Dube - ‘Like Rain’ (single) [Universal Balance Entertainment]



And as for the other - I just REALLY like seeing the phrase ‘Universal Balance Entertainment’ attached to something. Of course the last time we saw it was on Ras Attitude’s MASSIVE ”I-Meditation” album and now we’re seeing it alongside a release for the head of the label (I THINK), Ishi Dube, who brings forth a new single, presumably from a new album, ‘Like Rain’. This tune is kind of Hip-Hoppish, but I REALLY like it (don’t say that very often), so you know it has to be on a serious level. So check this one out and biggup Ishi Dube, hopefully he gets a new album out pretty soon (right after that Winstrong release, of course).

Digital

Sizzla - “Kalonji” [Xterminator Records]




Alright - This one, I wanted to mention because I saw that it had been released and, potentially, it has a pretty large significance. Okay so, you probably own a copy of Sizzla’s pretty well known 1998 album, ”Freedom Cry”, for VP Records. It’s probably one of your favourites and you probably gave it a spin just this morning or last night - Good for you, you have a brain. But, although you may know of the fact that that ”Freedom Cry” had a fraternal twin, ”Kalonji”, the European edition of the album, you might not have been successful in tracking it down (even though they re-released it in 2002). Well, you now have that opportunity as the ever-increasingly digitally keen Philip ‘Fattis’ Burrell, has made it available for your consumption. By my not too careful nor thorough matching, the differences between the two are that - ”Kalonji“ has the tunes ‘Mother Nature’ and ‘Confuse City’ (which is WICKED), while it lacks ‘Jah Blessing (with Luciano) and ‘Love Amongst My Brethren (which is GOLD). So, grab up the two extras if you haven’t yet and do enjoy.

{note: Do some searching for OLD and OBSCURE Xterminator albums from Xterminator if you’re interested (like something from Lion or Shadowman). I’ve gotten out the big book of knowledge and am doing some myself}
{note 2: See Comments}

Hard to find CD & Digital

Toussaint - “Black Gold” [I Grade Records]

And lastly, yes I know you’re tired of me mentioning it, but it’s a big album and you’re slow if you don’t have it, especially now. Two weeks ago, Toussaint dropped one of the best albums of 2010, ”Black Gold” for the digital market (via the beautiful girls and boys at Zojak Worldwide) and apparently it’s been quite well. Well after those two weeks, it was anticipated that the album would then be released to physical CD and . . . Well that’s exactly what has happened . So go and grab up the CD, because you know you want it!


Thank you and have a nice day.

2 comments:

  1. Big ups Achis!

    There's one other track switch between "Freedom Cry" and "Kalonji." "She's Like the Roses" is on "Freedom Cry" and not "Kalonji," and "Define Yourself" the other way round.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sat there and KNEW that I was forgetting something, with both of them directly in my face lol. Thanks as always Dale Cooper yeah.

    ReplyDelete