Thursday, August 5, 2010

Check It Vol. XV

Turbulence - “The Journey” [Sajay Productions/Zojak Worldwide]

Okay, first up is a most surprising release to say the least as Turbulence delivers his first studio LP in about 36 years, ”The Journey”, for Sajay Productions. Biggup my readers because it was one of you who actually alerted me that this one had dropped and, upon doing a bit of research I found that late last month ‘The Future’ had indeed dropped the album (which, I THINK, is really his first since 2007’s pretty bad ”United”). Having just perused this one a wee bit, it seems okay as most of Turbulence’s work does on first glance and I’m really looking forward to delving into a lot more for a review, but as much as I go back and forth with my taste as far as Turbulence’s vibes, I do have to say that I am WELL looking forward to listening through this one (especially ‘Best Friend’s Bed’ a combination with Perfect) and big respect goes to Sajay (and the beautiful people at Zojak Worldwide, of course) for making it happen - STILL one of the most naturally talented artists in the game is Turbulence.

{Review coming Tuesday} {Hopefully}

Lieutenant - “Dancehall Anarchy” [Don’s Music]



Don’t you just love how everything works itself out? After making guest stops on the albums of Admiral T and Kalash earlier this year, veteran DJ, Lieutenant (who I just learned actually is from Nina) (not Guadeloupe as I thought), is now given his own album, his debut in fact, ”Dancehall Anarchy”, for the big label, the reinvigorated Don’s Music (Admiral T this year, Methi’S this year, Paille EP this year, Lieutenant and apparently Ludy is up next). I haven’t gotten my hands on this one just yet (although I’m seriously considering buying it), but just listening through the clips, it sounds HYPE and that’s just what I could use right now and this is despite the fact that there’re no less than THREE tunes featuring one of my least favourite artists, Mali and also on board are a female singer named Senario (cool name), Djama Keita (who you probably don’t know, but is a wicked artist from out of Nina), of course Pleen Pyroman and Valley (from the first single, which I told you about yesterday) and returning the favour is Kalash (with the same tune). Like I said, it sounds BIG and I’m expecting a lot when I pick it up, so beat me to it and tell me how it is yeah.

The Light Riddim [Whatage Muzic/Zojak Worldwide]

I am a sucker for a pretty tracklist and an even bigger one for a pretty riddim. Thankfully, the latest creation of the Machester (Jamaica) based Whatage Muzic, The Light Riddim, has both and it, of course, caught my eyes pretty immediately. Having seemingly advanced much since (I THINK) their last release, The Blessed Riddim (which was decent, but ultimately not very noteworthy in my opinion, save for a few efforts), The Light is a BEAUTIFUL thing and while you may notice some names such as Zalachie, Shil Jah, Ikonz, Marshell and Black Light (big big artist), some of them (particularly Zalachie and Black Light) do very well. And I’m sure you do know the likes of Nesbeth, QUEEN OMEGA, Red Roze, Prophet Benjamin, the aforementioned Jah Mason, Lutan Fyah, Natty King and Hi-Kee, all of whom make appearances on this lovely riddim which apparently dropped last year, but I didn’t hear too much of it, so it’s definitely a case of better late, than never.

Cardiac Bass Riddim [ZJ Chrome]



Speaking of tracklists - I won’t spend too much time on this one because it’s kind of old and I most certainly should’ve mentioned it before now, but if you’ve been living in a box somewhere and haven’t noticed - The Cardiac Bass Riddim is immaculate. It is Guardian Angel/Jam Down kind of beautiful and it really should’ve appeared as an installment of Riddim Driven in my opinion. Alaine, Ce’Cile, Jah Cure, Lutan Fyah, I-Octane, Bugle, Chris Martin, Raine Seville, the last Voicemail tune I actually liked in how long and two tunes from Kartel . . . I mean, what more needs to be said. It’s beautiful, it’s a candidate for riddim of the year and it’s available for your digital consumption right now.

Cali P - ‘Dread Full’ (single) [Hemp Higher]



Achis Reggae favourite Gwada born Swiss chanter, Cali P, returns with a big new tune, ‘Dread Full’, which is apparently the title track for the new big riddim from Riga and Hemp Higher (who I told you about not too long ago with The Burn Up Riddim). The tune definitely has some force behind it, big lyrics as well and Cali’s been more and more active these days, so hopefully he’s gearing up for a followup album to 2008’s master class, ”Lyrical Faya”, which would be a beautiful thing. Big tune.

Natty King - ‘Dem A Bawl’ (single) [Estates Records]

Staying with the singles for a couple of more here - Next is an always welcome face in Natty King who, fresh off an album this year, returns with a fairly random single, ‘Dem A Bawl’ which, like most of his output, just so happens to be a pretty big tune. Coming from the fairly ‘unknown’ Estates Records, the cover seems to suggest there’s a riddim, the Comfort, as well, so maybe we’ll get more from this (and the riddim is nice), but as it stands, Natty’s big social commentary is doing just fine.

Al Pancho - ‘Gwaan Grow Yuh Congo’ [Zion Cube Productions]



And the final single this week I add just to show that I’m not nasty as hell and partial (even though I am) as an artist who happens to be one of my LEAST favourites, Al Pancho, returns with a new tune from the US based Zion Cube Productions (wonder if they know Empress Cherisse?), ‘Grow Yuh Congo’. I LIKE this song and that’s a lot more than you’re usually going to get from me in regards to Pancho’s music (sans a TRULY MASSIVE tune by the name of ‘No Space’ from the otherwise not too good ”My Story” album). It’s very nice and ‘bouncy’ and the lyrics are very strong as Pancho preaches pride in Rastafari (biggup Mortimer Planno) and does so very strongly. CLEARLY the man has talent, but he hasn’t been the best at making himself stand out, hopefully it’s a thing Zion Cube can bring out of him with more excellent tunes like this and THEN, I’ll be a fan.

Taddy P & Bunny Rugs ‘Monday Morning Blues’ [Bass Inna Yu Face/Zojak Worldwide]



Okay so I lied - A couple of more singles (as I remember to go through the old Zojak files marked ‘stuff I should’ve mentioned already‘). Next is master on the guitar, Taddy P who links up with veteran Bunny Rugs to handle the vocals on their new tune ‘Monday Night Blues’. It’s kind of a sufferer’s anthem of sorts (with a bass which sounds so good, that it’s almost out of place), but with a mix of talent like this, you can be sure the results are going to be BIG and they are. Taddy P has been pretty active as of late and I wouldn’t at all be surprised if he had a project in the works either.

Barrington Levy - ‘Murderer: Fully Loaded’ (featuring Wyclef Jean, Shaggy & Snoop Dogg) [Platinum Camp/Zojak Worldwide]



I thought that I’d mention this one despite the fact that it is EASILY going to receive more and more attention in Hip-Hop circles than it is amongst Reggae heads, but the still pretty popular Barrington Levy (whose Hip-Hop popularity seems to come STILL from the tune he made with Shyne, ’Bad Boyz’ which had to have been almost a decade ago) returns with another remake of one of his classics, ‘Murderer’. Along with him, he’s brought Hip-Hop stars, Wyclef and Snoop Dogg as well as Shaggy (who remade ‘Broadway’ alongside Levy a few years back). I’ve seen some really negative feedback on this one from Reggae heads and I’m not going to slam it, certainly it isn’t my favourite tune in the world, but you may actually like it because it isn’t HORRIBLE.

Alaine - ‘You Are Me’ [1Thirty1 Records]



And aren’t I glad that I didn’t say ‘finally’ before that least one - Had I done so, I would’ve most certainly sounded even stupider in getting to this, FINALLY the last single of the lot. The angelic Alaine didn’t at all waste any time finding new digs after falling out with Don Corleon and now she’s got her own place, 1Thirty1 Records and she already has a new tune (and a video) to show for it, ‘You Are Me’. Of course I’m going to comment on the her new cut (which isn’t really new) and the fact that she looks damn good - But I digress, the song itself is pretty typical LOVELY fare from Alaine. This one, despite the video, isn’t a romantic song, but it’s more of a social commentary or a ‘WORLD LOVE’ type of a tune and in the end I think that it’s best to say that if you LOVE Alaine’s music, then you’ll LOVE this tune (now if someone could just get her to do a combination with Ce’Cile. . .)

Martin Campbell - "Historical Tracks (1978-1981): The Foundation" [ACL 2000/Zojak Worldwide]

Never been the biggest fan of Martin Campbell’s and I don’t know a whole hell of a lot about the man, but I do happen to know that he has some of the STRANGEST and most devoted fans of pretty much anyone and I thought I’d just make all aware that one of his collections, ”Historical Tracks” has reached the digital spectrum. So if you’ve worn the hell out of your physical copies, feel free to recollect the digital or should you simply want to see what all the fuss is about (and believe me, there is FUSS) (and A LOT of it), do check it out. It’s not at all bad music I should say (some of it is very good), it’s just . . . I don’t know what it is, you listen to it.

“Rahtid!: The Ultimate Reggae & Dancehall Experience” [Young Veterans Productions/Zojak Worldwide]



And in the penultimate position is a pretty big deal actually as the always active Young Veterans Productions puts together another very nice batch of their work to build up ”Rahtid: The Ultimate Reggae & Dancehall Experience”. This one has been receiving a bit of hype and perhaps justly so at it boasts of artists such as Konshens (more than once), Lutan Fyah, Mr. Vegas, Perfect, Macka Diamond, Opal (twice) and even Sizzla and Anthony B are on board. At ‘just’ seventeen tracks, it isn’t as wide covering as you might think (given that whole “ultimate . . . experience” thing, but I’m almost certain that Dancehall heads will find something here which will get their attention at some point. I’m still playing with it (even though I knew quite a bit of the material beforehand), but so far, so nice.


The Roll On Riddim [Firm Grip Promotions]



And finally we end with what has to be the worst digital cover of the year (and I think I said that not too long ago, so whatever I said it in reference to has just been given a promotion to second worst), the cover for The Roll On Riddim. I’m going to tell you flat out - This riddim is two or three years old and it’s not that good and I don’t know why I have it (biggup Bredz). But I heard a fairly random and . . . Pretty decent tune from Lutan Fyah, ‘Roots & Culture’ and upon further notice that tune happened to be NICE! And upon further research it featured on a riddim which also stocked names like Half Pint, Bascom X, Al Pancho, Gandhi, Pam Hall, Lady G, Little Devon and even Gyptian, but . . . Most of them don’t do too much to my ears, but you may like it and at the very least, definitely grab up the Lutan Fyah tune and have a great time.

No comments:

Post a Comment