Sunday, September 19, 2010

Beautiful Tunes #28

Uh huh! It's Sunday (actually it's Saturday, but by time you read this, it'll be Sunday) so that means . . . that it's Sunday. Pretty uneventful week, didn't pick up until yesterday, more fun next week certainly. But big tunes today - Big time veteran coming back this week, a not so new newbie and a total newbie sameway, let's see.



So yeah. The last time I thought about Ancient King, I was thinking that it was probably about time that I went back and gave his second album, "Judgment", a next listen because the first (few) time around I didn't think much of it and actually DISLIKED the album if I recall correctly. Well, certainly this week big tunes veteran, Jah Callax, is giving me a reason with a big tune from that very album, it's 'Living Trumpet'.



Okay, next in we have a genuine new participant with a beautiful song - It's Jonathan, who (if I read correctly) (and I almost certainly did not) is originally from the UK, but is now living and vibing in Denmark. You don't hear a lot about Danish Reggae these days, from since Natasja transitioned, but there are some nice talents (and biggup my friends at Burton Records) and perhaps the nicest of them all is this young lady here, the very impressive Karen Mukupa, who gives us the GORGEOUS tune, 'Circles'. Apparently this tune is from a riddim, the Alis for Juicy Halftone Records (don't ask), which dropped earlier this year (and now having looked it up, it's damn interesting). Mukupa is from Zambia originally and she's developed wonderfully. Had a big album around last year apparently, that I now want to go and check out. So definitely a find way to make a first impression Johnathan. Big big tune my friend and eye-opening as well.



And lastly is a piece which certainly doesn't qualify as obscure around these parts, but I promised the suggester (is that a word???), an old friend of mine, that I'd jump it in. Youstice is someone I've known for a long ass time, he's from Cayman but he lived in JA for a long long time and then moved away (just giving all of your business Youstice) to somewhere . . . But now he's back on Grand Cayman and he's back in touch with me. Youstice says 'Over Come Dem' from Lutan Fyah is basically just destroying him these days and he's not alone, it is HUGE! He also gave a few other pieces and I'm going to make sure to get them in, in the coming weeks. So large up my friend Youstice and not obscure, but it's huge.

As for me - This week is cool and obvious. Song has been playing CONSTANTLY the last few days in and out of my house (and hopefully in yours too). You know what it is, we're jumping and waving for one of the greatest to ever do it - It's the mightiest of the mighty, the immortal Mr. Alphonsus Cassell, bka The Mighty Arrow, with the legendary 'Hot Hot Hot'.


  • Biggup Mighty Arrow everytime
  • Reviews this week frommmmmmm Bobby Tenna and either Duane Stephenson or Ras Midas
  • Got beautiful tunes that you just can't get out of your brain??? Don't be selfish link me at AchisReggae@hotmail.com, we post them each and every Sunday.

2 comments:

  1. Some Quality Music videos (including a live performance) of Arrow @ http://www.youtube.com/theMightyArrow

    ReplyDelete
  2. Give thanx for the info my friend!

    ReplyDelete