Sunday, November 14, 2010

Beautiful Tunes #36

I think it's #36 this week??? I can check . . . Yep, #36. Wow. . . Okay. Anyway. This week we have two very familiar names (one of whom I believe I bumped last week for a newbie) and one VERY disappointing newbie who I'm going to make fun of. Let's do it and do it now.



Okay first, let me tell you a little story about my new friend Reginald (cool name) from Florida (which part of Florida Theo???). Last week Reggie sends me an email which isn't completely complimentary towards me, which is fine, but basically his problem with me is that he thought that I didn't give enough attention to the foundation artists and their music and . . . Yeah. He's completely right, of course. I don't, but . . . Not going to be changing anytime soon. Then he starts to talk about how poor the music is nowadays and how that OLD and CLASSIC Roots Reggae sound has been lost and how disappointed he is. Then he recommends a tune (actually a few) - Of course it's something from Dennie Brown or Marley or Peter Tosh or Burning Spear right??? No. It's Junior Reid, Baby Cham and a Hip-Hopper, MIMS, with 'This Is Why I'm Hot'.



Next in is something Reginald is sure to appreciate as Johnathan from Denmark via the UK gives us a tune from Omar Perry, 'Great Trumpet'. The tune appeared on Perry's debut (I THINK) album "Man Free" which wasn't too much at all to my ears, it was just wholly average, but this song (which I don't remember at all and if that album doesn't have a title track then off of the top of my head I can't name you anything on it at this point) sounds pretty good, so maybe it's time for another listen through on Omar Perry's first drop.



And finally this week from my lovely readers is Remmy who LAMELY chooses something that he saw for the very first time at my house on Thursday. It definitely qualifies though as Assassin holds court at an Eva Clean Tuesdayz alongside Merciless, Aidonia and Suhverto. Probably ten different "tunes" on this one, but definitely the biggest line draws at 'Nah Sell Out' by 'Sassin and maybe 'Reply' by Merciless (even though the original is really really bad. Anyway, enjoy and biggup Remmy who was reportedly last seen heading towards Statia on a jet ski with a very small and very innocent goat.

As for me, this week is REALLY REALLY REALLY easy because on last Wednesday, one of my absolute favourite artists and quite possibly the single best human being on Earth, Destra Garcia, turned a very young 33 years old (it's young until I hit it, of course) and she dropped a new tune to celebrate. It's a COOL 'Cool It Down' and if you haven't noticed, November is almost already half gone which means that MADNESS MADNESS soon comes. Until then, however, enjoy new Destra.



  • No beautiful tunes next week because we'll be traveling for a bit so I won't be posting on Sunday or Monday (and maybe not Saturday either, but I'll let you know), but do grab me at AchisReggae@hotmail.com for future weeks.
  • Reviews this week for Jahsolidrock and Not Easy At All's new compilation "Cultural Vibes" and blah blah blah blah
  • Cool Soca article and maybe a list if I can finish it also and some RIDICULOUS lyrics
  • Biggup David Haye

No comments:

Post a Comment