Saturday, November 20, 2010

Completely Random Thoughts 21: Ten Completely Random Tunes

We're going on a trip to a friend's wedding this weekend and I won't be back writing until Tuesday or Wednesday (whichever day that is, I'll have a review that same day). Of course that means that I won't be doing beautiful tunes this Sunday (but link me at AchisReggae@hotmail.com for next Sunday or the next or the next or the next), but as always, I like to leave with good and upful music so, on the idea of someone else (biggup Bredz), I decided to just completely randomly post some music. In some cases, this isn't even stuff I'm listening to, just something which happened to pop into my head at the time and it's all me - all the time. Hope you enjoy, don't care if you don't (because I like them!), and we'll see you back next week!

BALANCE
RasAchis


1. 'Seven Miles' by Naptali featuring Luciano

"Marcus Garvey. A Black man. Prophesied to the nation. When he asked 'Where is the Black man President".


Of course, I'm always looking for reasons to draw up Naptali's "Long Journey" and the latest came from the fact that the Paradise Riddim which backed his EXCELLENT tune 'Seven Miles' alongside Luciano was recently showcased on the "Cultural Vibes Vol. 1" release from Not Easy At All Productions and Jahsolidrock and I couldn't even make it to listening through all of the tunes on the riddim without drawing on this GORGEOUS piece from what is apparently about to take top honours of album of the year 2010 in about a month in a half's time.


2. 'Wine Now' by Cali P & Sara Lugo

And, as is the case in most things Naptali-related (at least on my players), the wonderful Sara Lugo can't be far behind and now is no different as next up is 'Wine Now' alongside another big gun around here, Cali P, from the recently released Scrub A Dub Riddim from Hemp Higher & Inspired Music. This tune turned out quite nice, so much so that I've essentially forgotten to spin out the other tunes on the riddim, despite the fact that two of them even feature Achis Reggae favourite Tiwony.


3. 'No Bones, No Blood' by Jah Sun featuring Lutan Fyah & Ras Attitude

I don't think that I like this song as much as I used to (which was a great deal about a year or so ago), but it still well qualifies here. 'No Bones, No Blood' was the only moment on Jah Sun's album, "The Height of Light", that I recall doing some damage on me, despite the fact that the album featured the likes of Prezident Brown, Yami Bolo and Luciano. But it did a MAJOR damage. Hauling in both Ras Attitude and Lutan Fyah to do the WICKED vegetarian anthem is still to be remembered for linking together these two mighty names and Jah Sun held his own as well.


4. 'Les Beaux Jours' by Lindsey Lin's

Apparently one of my favourite Zoukies, Lindsey Lin's has returned in 2010 and is doing some big things for an album which may be on its way this year or next (hopefully next year, I'm not ready this year). So, I'm thinking about what happened the last time we heard from her on 2008's 'A Mon Image' album with the MASSIVE 'Les Beaux Jours'. This one is probably one of the best Zouk songs I've ever heard. I just LOVE it and definitely a pretty girl (who was born in Paris to one parent from Gwada with the other from Nina (and you couldn't come up with a more brilliant background for a Zouk singer, even if you scripted it)) strolling around the video for the tune didn't hurt at all. As I said before: It's music for your eyes.


5. 'Si Tu T'en Vas' by Kaysha

I kind of look at Zouk music like I look at cats - I always just assume that it's female. Male cats pretty much think everything is their litter area and Zouk sang by males is . . . Well clearly it's evil, but there is an exception this RIDICULOUS tune from Kaysha's last album, the double set that was "Forever Young", 'Si Tu T'en Vas'. And yes - That concludes the Zouk portion of this post . . . Unless I can't think of anything else.


6. 'No Time To Gaze' by Sizzla

The possibility exists that, one day, you might come around here and see a list titled 'My Favourite Songs by Sizzla Ever'. I tend to avoid doing such things because, unlike albums, which have a shelf-life of maybe months with my tastes, songs lasts literally MINUTES. So whatever I'd offer you would only be 'some' of my favourites or my favourites 'right now'. Still, one of the tunes which would definitely be in the running for top honours would be 'No Time To Gaze' which is probably one of the best tunes, lyrically, EVER from any artist and it ranks well highly in regards to the finest of Kalonji's best penned gems as well.


7. 'Send A Hell' by Vybz Kartel

A reader (biggup Kelvin) send me an interview featuring Hip-Hop superstar, Jay-Z, where I believe that he was speaking regarding his new album or his still forthcoming album and the interviewer (one of them, the other didn't seem to know what the hell was going on) was pretty happy that Jay-Z had done THREE songs with Vybz Kartel for the album, but they hadn't made it on the finished product. That got me to thinking just how much Kartel's music has changed (as if I needed help to do that) and I noticed that it really wasn't long ago at all when he was still doing GOOD KARTEL-sounding music and not this . . . Sad Rappy shit. Example? Just a couple of years ago don't? 'Send A Hell' - EXPLOSIVE!


8. 'Jah Jah Give Us Life To Live' by The Wailing Souls

I fully intend to end this post with two Soca songs (whatever they are) and that will make this 'turnaround' very distinct because we're going to HEAVY HEAVY Roots Reggae with one of the greatest songs of all time, 'Jah Jah Give Us Life To Live' by The Wailing Souls. Simply put: If you don't like this song, I'm sorry for wasting your time. Now Please leave.

And never come back.


9. 'The Road Show' by Patrice Roberts

"You must have stamina, you must have energy. You must have your cooler with Rum and Hennessy. You must have your partner who feting willingly. And YOU MUST HAVE YOUR RAG WHEN YOU WAVING WITH WE!"

I was almost sure that I had posted this tune not too long ago, but I couldn't find it (of course I didn't search very good, so I probably posted it yesterday). My favourite Soca song at this very moment is 'Road Show' by Patrice Roberts. It's dominating my workout playlist (it's on there eight different times within 90 minutes) and it is just a beautiful thing. Now! We look ahead, the madness is coming and I cannot fucking wait! And you can't either!


10. 'Display' by Fay-Ann Lyons

And finally, I'm giving you a tune with a bit of hardware. It's a TnT Road March winner from about 3000 years ago (2003), 'Display' from Fay-Ann Lyons. The song kind of seems outdated for a Road March because it isn't that kind of deafening deadening HYPENESS that we've heard as of late and because of that, I think it's pretty special in retrospect. It was just a quality quality tune and almost eight years on now and it hasn't lost a step. A MODERN CLASSIC of a tune!

No comments:

Post a Comment