Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Video Drop #13


‘Superman’ by Tarrus Riley [Directed by Rik Cordero]

Complicated. Okay so, first this week we have to honour the fact that a Reggae STAR has dropped a new video as Tarrus Riley delivers the latest single from his ”Contagious” album (still pushing tunes from that album - So nice to see), ‘Superman’. This video is either really really hard to follow or I’m just kind of slow. The way it lines up to me is that after seeing his girl (more on her in a bit), Riley heads off and is subsequently in a car accident, the aftermaths of which find him a sudden sufferer of amnesia. After a day wandering the street and finding clues of exactly who he may be (including a picture of his lady friend), she finally spots the lost Riley and takes him home where after an embrace, he recalls exactly what happen - Lois Lane rescuing Superman - Or maybe Lois Lane is Superman??? I REALLY like this video. It’s very simple in how it’s played out, but complicated with the ‘silent’ story . . . Oh and the model playing ‘Lois Lane’ . . . I do not care if I didn’t know my name or anything about me, she would not have had to post pictures of me all over the damn city. WOW WOW!

Video Rated: 4.999999999/5
Video - Song Link: 5/5



‘Push Over’ by Danielle [Directed by Gareth Cobran]

There’s a pretty good chance that, in terms of significance, every other video that I’m going to place in the post are going to be greater than ’Push Over’ by Danielle [aka DI], but she will forever be a video favourite of mine following that beautiful beautiful clip she shot with Achis Reggae favourite, Ce’Cile, for ’Turn Him On’. That OBVIOUS by the fact that I don’t . . . Particularly like this video and I don’t like the song either, although they both have good things about them. As for the tune - it’s very strange. The chorus is pretty bad and the riddim - Nope. BUT the second verse is nice isn’t it? The video? Apparently Danielle is some type of Madam of the house and she has, at her disposal a MALE HAREM and that is just wrong and CREEPY! BUT . . . Danielle you a are a very attractive human being aren’t you.

Video Rated: 2/5
Video - Song Link: I have no idea



‘Unforgettable’ by Toussaint [Directed by Aqua Media]

Next we have what is a very big deal around these parts. It’s the second single from Toussaint’s BEAUTIFUL debut album, "Black Gold”, ‘Unforgettable’. I was very interested in the very fact that the R&B styled tune was chosen as the album’s next promoted track following ‘Be You’ (of course my choice would’ve been ‘Nobody Knows’), but I guess the idea was to try to show as much as possible in the way of variety of this wonderful artist. This time around, just like the first, the video is shot on location in St. Croix which is the base of the I Grade Records label who did the album and because of the song being how it is, it wonderfully opens itself up for the presence of a pretty girl (this one looking a bit like my favourite Zoukie Kénédy). As far as how it plays out - It’s kind of a Reggae video with an R&B premise and I remember writing the review for the album and running into similar situations with Toussaint so I’ll resist over-analyzing and just say that it works so nicely. Guy relaxing and enjoying the nature and the day, writing a song about his woman who joins as well and later he goes to record the tune. WELL done.

Video Rated: 4.5/5
Video - Song Link: 4.5/5



‘Blessings Multiply’ by Lyricson [Directed by Zandoli Vidoez]

Next we have a video from Lyricson’s recently released (by the time you read this at least) (it’s Monday) album ”Messages” which obviously kind of went ‘beneath the radar’ - ‘Blessings Multiply’. Lyricson has never been exactly shy when it comes to releasing videos and this becomes, at least, the third video for songs from this album prior to its release date (there was also ‘Glad You’re Mine’ from last year and who knows what else). The video doesn’t have much of a plot or anything and it certainly isn’t the best video I’ve seen from him, but it’s just a nice showcase for the tune. And I’ve yet to actually get the full album (again, it’s only Monday when I’m writing this), so I well have my critics ears on when it comes to the tune, but it’s grown on me just a bit since I first heard it and I’m well looking forward to the full experience (and I’m probably reviewing it on Friday anyway).

Video Rated: 3/5
Video - Song Link: 2.5/5



‘Fé Yo Mal’ featuring MC Kim Angel by Paille [Directed by Gary Baron]

And finally, and most ridiculously, it’s everyone’s favourite Dancehall scarecrow [Le Homme De] Paille with a new video, ‘Fé Yo Mal’, from his forthcoming album which apparently drops next month courtesy of the maddest FWI label in the world, Don’s Music. He’s brought the pint sized MC Kim Angel along for the ride. The tune also appears on Paille’s latest (and only to my knowledge) EP, ”N’oubile Pas“ (along with the title track). In the case of Paille, of course, it becomes a matter of expecting the unexpected so no one thinks anything is out of order when he spends the majority of the video in his signature straw hat, a bathrobe and slippers and he only changes to mix things up with scuba gear while drinking tea with friends after raiding his neighbours’ pool . . . All in a day in the life of BY FAR one of the most curious of characters in all of Dancehall (oh and by the way, the tune is MADNESS! And I cannot wait for that album).

Video Rated: 4.25/5
Video - Song Link: 4/5

No comments:

Post a Comment