Tuesday, December 7, 2010

'Back To Normal': A Review of "Strictly The Best Vols. 42 & 43" by Various Artists

Definitely going last and seeing what all of the other ‘competition’ has to offer has its advantages. In the general sense, it obviously gives you a more direct objective in terms of what you have to do better than and what you cannot possibly do worst than and, of course, when you speak of sports and the likes (particularly sports), that can give someone a potentially very large edge. In music and most forms of entertainment, what it does it kind of give you your own ‘audience’ as your product/event/whatever becomes the most anticipated of that time and when you do that in a given year, at the end of that year, it can really carry quite a substantial ways into the following year as well. In Reggae music we have a few significant year-end type of occurrences which typically standout amongst the rest. Certainly no one will EVER forget that on Boxing Day, each and every year, there is potential madness and skullduggery afoot in Portmore at Sting (although said “madness and skullduggery” this year will most unfortunately not include a clash) and there’re a few other events as well. On the album side, Lloyd Brown has taken care of his obligations for us this year with ”Cornerstone” and we’ll see him again in about eleven months and, as is customary, next up is one of the highest profile compilations of the year, ”Strictly The Best”, also from VP Records. Outside of ”Reggae Gold”, ”StB” is probably the biggest named annual release that we have and it’s also one of the most interesting as it comes in pairs . . . You REALLY should know all of this already, so let’s get into the specifics. This year’s installments, #’s 42 & 43, respectively, do come with a bit of a personal twist for me because I was rather pleasantly surprised by last year’s #’s 40 & 41. Typically, while this series carries more of a hardcore fan’s vibes than does ”Reggae Gold” (that isn’t hard to do), it usually only does so slightly and I think that last year’s editions (particularly #42) were some of the best in some time. So, with just a tiny bit more lustre for people like you and me, we roll into this year. How does it all workout? Well, while it isn’t necessarily a ‘down’ year for the ”StB” project, it certainly isn’t as good as last year’s versions, but it does offer enough pieces to get more than a glancing attention from most fans.

Strictly The Best Vol. 42
The first thing that I noticed about the even number installment of this year’s ”Strictly The Best” set from VP Records was how much it seems to almost diametrically differ from last year’s [#40]. A year ago I was so happy to see just how much of a ‘new push’ there was in terms of who appeared on the compilation. Names such as Maikal X, Sherita, Jah Vinci, Million Stylez and Hezron certainly weren’t (and still aren’t) household names to any degree (and the average age on that one, with people like Gappy, Etana and Busy also on board must’ve been a lot lower). This year, while we still have such artists, they’re older people and perhaps that is some type of sign as far as the intended artists this year.

Whatever the case, while the artist who stars on the first ‘show’ on ”Strictly The Best #42” isn’t an old man, the thirty-two year old Jah Cure isn’t a rookie, but he is joined by one, (the incredibly hard to spell) his SoBe Entertainment labelmate, Phyllisia, on their well traveled but still strong single, ‘Unconditional Love’. I’m not exhaustedly tired of this tune just yet and if you haven’t heard it yet (. . . What is going on with you???), it’ll do wonders for you and if you take time and the ‘quantity’ of the tune, it’s probably one of the best songs here actually. Next in is a returning and very impressive Courtney John on ‘Love Is’. I always say that I need to pay more attention to this sweet voiced singer, but the fact that I haven’t begun to do so just yet always makes me happy to see him on compilations like such because even if it’s a big tune (and it is, as it is almost always) I’m not tired of it. Such is the case here with a song which is CLEARLY one of the best and should you call it the supreme tune here (and, thus, on both of the album’s), that’s fine with me. Lastly for the opening lot is a singer who is also not an old man and fairly new to this series (I think this is his first song on one of the "StB" albums), but one who is already a veteran, 2009’s BIG breakout name, Stevie Face, with ’In The Living Years’ from his outstanding album, ”Tell It Like It Is” from last year. It would have made more sense on ”StB40”, but I suppose ’better late than never’ applies on this song and should he remain active, you can probably reserve a spot on future installments of this compilation for Mr. Face as well (and hopefully VP will pick up one of his albums at some point also).

As I said, 2010 appears to be the ’retro-year’ from ”Strictly The Best #42”, so you can expect a whole heap of familiar names throughout and the ones which aren’t too familiar aren’t unfamiliar because of their lack of time in the business either. For example, there is a chance that you may not be very well acquainted with the music of veteran Ed Robinson, but he’s been around for quite awhile and this year he struck up with arguably the biggest hit of his entire career, ‘Our Heroes’ which, to my ears chimes in as also the biggest tune on this album (it’s the best song on either album actually). The tune takes the listener through every corner of the history of Reggae music and for me, it has become such a powerful and BEAUTIFUL song and I was so happy that VP placed it on this album in anticipation of Robinson’s own album supporting the tune which is scheduled for early next year. HUGE HUGE tune! Similar to Robinson’s own is the case of Andy Livingston, a Reggae veteran of well over a decade at this point, but one who may not be too well known to the masses. He also had a big year which was boosted on the strength of his big single, ‘My Promise’. I don’t particularly LOVE this song, but I’m well into the tiny minority on that so, definitely give it a minute to grow on you before casting it aside because it’s done a heavy amount of damage in 2010. And I suppose I could throw in this same string the far better known George Nooks who comes with a remake of ‘If You Don’t Know Me By Now’ as well as Fiona who brings back Stevie Face, for another remake, ‘Baby Come To Me’. Both of these tunes, sonically speaking, sound excellent, but I’m not too much of a fan of either actually and they definitely fit more precisely on VP’s fine ”R&B Hits Reggae Style” which dropped a fourth installment back in August on which the latter of these two tunes appeared. Of course, on the completely opposite end of that is a neophyte, by comparison, Tessanne Chin who returns to a VP album with ‘I Want To Know What Love Is’ which is another remake of a song that I’m entirely too lazy to look up. I don’t particularly like this one either, actually, but I have such a GREAT feeling about Chin these days and I’m almost certain that either 2011 or ‘12 will see her doing big things on an international level, so stay tuned.

Apart from those names, the balance of ”StB#42” is full of artists who’re either very current or just very familiar and popular on the VP circuit, historically. Perhaps none are more popular than superstar Tarrus Riley who offers up ‘Superman’, the latest single from his 2009 album, ”Contagious”, which is a song which I enjoy more and more every time I vibe it. Of course, you knew Gyptian would be popping up in one way or another and here he is with ‘So Much In Love’. I don’t enjoy this one as much as I once did, but the ‘saving grace’ of the tune is and probably always will be the fact that the Jon FX licked riddim is absolute GOLD. From the current poster boy to the former, chasing Gyptian’s tune, sequentially, on ”StB#42” is Sanchez who returned with his first album for VP (or anyone else, for that matter) in a very long time early this year, ”Now & Forever”. His tune, ‘Feel Good All Over’, unsurprisingly is a remake of an older one, but it is VERY nice and the best such tune on the entire album perhaps. And also present is an artist for the future, the always OUTSTANDING Romain Virgo, with ’Dark Skin Girl’ from his self-titled debut album from this year. This song isn’t far from being HUGE and it is clearly one of the highlights of this piece. If Sanchez’ isn’t the most VP-familiar name on this album then that distinction goes to Gramps Morgan who, as a member of Morgan Heritage, has probably appeared on dozens of their albums and compilations over the years. Now still working on his solo career, he gives us the excellent ‘Come Back To Bed’ and it fits in so nicely (as it always does in his case, I really like this song). I can’t say the same about ‘Butterflies’ by Gappy Ranks, however. While it isn’t horrible, I’m just not quite sure what to make of it and I never have been.

And finally, joining Fiona and Tessanne as the female representatives on ”Strictly The Best #42” are a couple of VERY talented ladies. First is Alaine, now out all on her own, and scoring hits such as the angelic ‘You Are Me’ which is probably my second favourite tune on this album altogether. And fittingly closing the show is the legendary Marcia Griffiths who reminisces of times gone by telling us about ‘A Beer and a Girl’ over Penthouse’s so nice Big Stage Riddim. Between her tune and Ed Robinson’s I think we have that base well covered and simply adding Griffiths’ name to a project can inject some always welcome CLASS as well.





Strictly The Best. Vol. 43
Given the state of ‘Dancehall’ today (I.e. not really being Dancehall but . . . Something else), I wasn’t too hopeful about what we’d get on the odd numbered edition of ”Strictly The Best” this year, even before seeing the tracklist (and that’s generally the case for any non riddim album Dancehall compilation from me these days). However, although this release isn’t what I’d call stellar by any stretch of the word, I was pleasantly surprised to some extent.

Jr. Gong and Nas, having saturated the hell out of 2010, certainly aren’t going to surprise anyone by popping up on a compilation this year and the two, after having also appeared on ”Reggae Gold 2010” in June, are back to open up things on ”Strictly The Best #43” also. Their tune is the well worn ‘Land Of Promise’ which mines an old Dennis Brown tune (the ‘Crown Prince’s’ vocals are still intact) and . . . Yeah, you know that one by now. I don’t need to say anything. Okay, it is a big tune. I will elaborate more thoroughly on the next tune in, ‘How We Do It’, which links Bounty Killer and Ele across ZJ Chrome’s Mad Collab Riddim. This tune is part-WICKED and part-OKAY. The OKAY is Elephant Man who offers his usual flare, but Bounty Killer is downright DOMINANT on this track with the flow. Even these days, certainly past his prime years, when the Killer locks in on a riddim and is FOCUSED, no one can do what he does with the big voice ANGRY style of deejaying. And where you have Bounty, you must (you don’t have to, but they just do that) have a Beenie tune somewhere and on ”StB#43”, Beenie represents with one his biggest songs from 2010, ‘I’m OK’. I love this song and while I haven’t had the opportunity to mention it much this year, I’ve been very impressed with Beenie Man’s work this year and this tune was arguably his best, so definitely check it. And speaking of personal bests, I’ll also mention the fourth tune on the album, ‘Nah Sell Out’ by Khago, which rides the same Seanizzle built One Day Riddim that Beenie’s tune rode in over. I’m still pretty unsure of what I actually think of the funny voiced Khago, but he definitely shows moments of brilliance occasionally and this offering may just be his most intelligent showing to date (and good luck getting it out of your head also).

The biggest surprise on ”StB#43” came in the form of Achis Reggae favourite I-Octane who gets in two different tunes on the album, neither of which, musically, probably ‘deserve’ to be on this album (in terms of style). The first is the most fitting, ‘Puff It’ on the Orange Hill Riddim. It’s not one of my favourites from Octane, but it’s still pretty good actually and with that riddim (which is just STRANGE), I’m pretty sure it’s going to catch some big attention from some who haven’t heard it yet. And Octane also returns to wrap up things on the album with ‘Think A Little Time’, which is a song that I really do like, but isn’t Dancehall or even that freaky shit people try to pass off as Dancehall these days. I don’t why it’s here actually, but I’m not going to complain about good music and this is a good tune and one of this releases best to be perfectly honest (albeit out of place) (hopefully VP is trying to tell us something) (album!).

“Dem kill mi friend along di way
So bloody trigger spill back
But no!
I just chill back
An hold di meds a hilltop
Criminal dem waan fi tun di I inna, I will not
Marcus Garvey words dem I fulfill dat”

It may, in fact, just be the best song on the album, but thankfully my sanity prevents me from designating it as such. And the other surprise is the showcase of the MAD Basik Instink Riddim with a couple of tunes, ‘Wifey Anthem’ and ‘Video Light’ from Taranchyla and Delly Ranx & Froggy, respectively. Neither song is much, but that riddim is fucking ridiculous and probably has enough PURE Dancehall vibes in it to make up for the much misplaced ‘Think A Little Time’. And Charly Black shouldn’t be a surprise at this point, but he isn’t very familiar and I suppose we can honestly still call him ‘up and coming’. His tune on ”StB#43”, ‘Bubble Again’, is and always has been SERIOUS and in terms of actual skillfully done and deejaying it’s one of the best tunes here and in terms of anything actually it is the same case. Black is a big artist so keep an eye on him.

Apart from that, you pretty much know what to expect here. So let’s cover the bases. Vybz Kartel??? Check. Kartel, of course, gets two tunes and they’re actually two of his better efforts of 2010, ‘Better Can Wuk’ and the Smokin’ Riddim laced ‘Dumpa Truck’. They’re good songs, I prefer the former to the latter (‘Better Can Wuk’ is REALLY good) and that’s what I’m going to say, I’m sure you can find a million sites with people declaring them the greatest in the history of sound, so happy hunting. Mavado??? Check. He also gets two spins. His first, Di Genius produced ‘Nine Life’ was a very big hit from him earlier this year. I’ve always found that tune to be decent, nothing too special on it, but I’ve heard it trashed a lot over the months and it is not rubbish to my ears. And the next time we hear from Mavado, he’s with the artist he essentially ‘replaced’ as THE Dancehall singer of the moment, Tessanne’s Brother in-law, Wayne Marshall, on ‘My Heart‘. I don’t like the song, never have, but I can see a value in it and with anything regarding Wayne Marshall - Unless it’s six years ago (and it isn’t) and he’s on a track with Kartel (and he isn’t), I’m probably not going to enjoy it, so have a listen for yourself. Don’t take my word for it in his case. Sean Paul??? Yep. He’s here too with his own tune on the Smokin’ Riddim, ‘Turn Me On’, which might be the best tune on that riddim. He gets a cool little mix of the riddim and he absolutely dazzles right over it with old school style of Sean Paul deejaying. And of course Gyptian is here again with his bubbling ‘Nah Let Go’, as is Busy Signal with the infectious insanity that is ‘How U Bad So’ from the infectious insanity which was his album, ”D.O.B.”.

And finally, with all of that being said, hopefully you knew which was my favourite tune on ”StB#43” because Assassin is on the album after all. Anytime the man does a track these days, I’m WELL impressed and I’m never more impressed on this album than on the Stephen McGregor vibed ‘Hand Inna Di Air’ from THE MOST TALENTED PURE DANCEHALL ARTIST IN THE WORLD - Assassin . . . And it isn’t even him at his best.





Overall, while I’m not anywhere in the neighbourhood of being as enthused about this project, in full, as I was last year, I’m not disappointed either. In cases like this I always start to think more could have been done and I would’ve liked to see the youth movement of last year continue in the instance of #42 (especially via bringing back Hezron who has been flaming in 2010), but they’ve done very well with bringing in Ed Robinson. As for #43 (and I don’t know if I said it, but #42 is STILL the better of the two, as the even numbered edition usually is, but maybe less so this year), it is what it is. Dancehall is SO fair-weathered these days that you get the good with bad (probably more bad) and the album reflects that. Still, it does get good marks in the cases of Khago and I-Octane (Bramma VP! BRAMMA!). Altogether, I don’t have any problem recommending this one to newer heads in the physical. You can pick this one up and you might actually enjoy all thirty-two songs. Older fans, you fly down on this digitally and pick and choose what you want. 2010 isn’t a great year for ”Strictly The Best”, but it’s always so nice to see coming in and we’ll definitely be looking for it in 2011.

Rated: 2.999999/5
VP Records
2010
CD + Digital VP Records

No comments:

Post a Comment