Sunday, December 5, 2010

Beautiful Tunes #38

Yep! Don't know which week this is let me check, I think it's #38 . . . Yes it is. Anyway, this week we have 3 familiar names, one VERY familiar, one familiar to me, but not to you and one which is pretty active around these parts and is, predictably, most timely as well. No more delays, let's go.



Okay so, this first is a one which I apparently inspired by posting all of that damn Soca. MY OWN FATHER checks in for the very first time (I THINK) this week with a tune which he told me about when I talked to him a few days ago, 'Heroes' by the legendary Denyse Plummer. He has just recently found the everlasting joy that is YouTube and he said after seeing my own drops, he was confused because he only thought I did Reggae Music. No, we do everything around here old man so, he said he'd suggest a favourite of his. This one isn't too old, if you ever see my Father's collection there is a TON of OOOOOOOOOOOLD Reggae and OOOOOOOOOOOOLDER Calypso. But here this one is and even if you don't like Calypso (and you probably don't), listen to what she's saying. Big tune ("Always wait until the heroes dead to put a crown on their head") and apparently it netted her a Monarch title about a decade ago as well - Thus the performance.



Next in is a tune from an actual friend of ours, The Missyl [pronounced 'missile'], originally from Bonaire, who is eternally trying to get her career started as a Deejay (and she actually has some talents, not the most consistent person in the world, however). Anyway, we had lunch (again) with her on Tuesday and I showed her my blog and she said she had a tune in mind that I wouldn't really like, but would make me smile and she got it full-on. Her suggestion was 'Smile' from Koyeba. NOW! I can listen to this song, but it isn't a great song, clearly. HOWEVER, the tune plunders the chorus from a Sizzla song, 'Show Me That You Love Me' and it's nice and it IMMEDIATELY made me smile. So biggup our friend and biggup Koyeba, while I don't love this tune, I am a fan of the boys from Suriname.



And lastly we have a very very predictable suggestion. A little while back I told you about our Artist of The Month of November, Jah Turban who was in the process of making quite the name for himself on the Danish Reggae scene - And of course we just happen to have a reader from Denmark, via the UK, Johnathan, who, after seeing that I did that, began to send me tunes from random Danish artists. The best of the lot was Wendy Wonder and the best of her own lot (maybe not the best, but the most attention-grabbing) was yet another tune from the obviously MASSIVE Alis Riddim, 'Wake Up'. I actually did know about her and it's kind of funny how it all worked out behind the scenes, but definitely keep an ear out for Wendy Wonder (sounding kind of Sara Lugo-ish) and if you haven't figured out just yet - Yeah. The Alis Riddim - Do that.

I'm pretty easy this week, because I've had a tune in my head from my Mother's birthday and it's one which hasn't been stuck in there in quite some time, so I think you'll like it too (if you don't - BE GONE!). It's the Killer with the masterful 'Miss Ivy Last Son'.


  • Reviews this week for the new "Strictly The Best" albums (which is almost done and probably the easiest review I've written this year). And hopefully Jahdan's "Babylon Nightmare" as well.
  • Link me at AchisReggae@hotmail.com to participate on 'Beautiful Tunes' next Sunday or any Sunday thereafter
  • Biggup Nico everytime

No comments:

Post a Comment