Thursday, December 23, 2010

Coming Soon Vol. 27

Bushman - “Bushman Sings The Bush Doctor” [VP Records]

First this week, we lift the curtain and show off a release that the Reggae listening world has been awaiting for a couple of years now, ”Bushman Sings The Bush Doctor”, Bushman’s tribute album to the legendary Red X, Peter Tosh for VP Records. Essentially this album is exactly what the title says that it is - It’s a cover album with Bushman singing some of biggest hits and most well known pieces from Tosh (incidentally, a similar album, from Andrew Tosh, was recently nominated for a Grammy and it’ll be most interesting to see if, in twelve months, this one receives the same ‘honour’). Amongst the tunes tackled by the Bushman include ‘Legalize It’, ‘Bush Doctor’, ‘Stepping Razor’, ‘Equal Rights’ and others. Also, joining in on the fun are both Reggae superstars Tarrus Riley and Buju Banton. This one is a very interesting release and just listening through it (I already have it, and may review it next week), the vibes intrigue me a lot and I’m definitely building quite a few interesting opinions on it - Not the least of which is the fact that I’m very happy to see this one FINALLY reach and so are most fans I’m sure.

Potential Rating: 4.5/5
Releases on January 25
CD & Digital


Elephant Man - “Dance & Sweep”: The Adventures of The Energy God” [VP Records]



Okay so, yeah - I pretty much stopped listening to Elephant Man right before his last album, whatever it was called, but that certainly doesn’t take away from the fact that his next project is going to be a pretty big deal for the Reggae/Dancehall community - And here is said “next project”, ”Dance & Sweep: The Adventures of The Energy God” from VP Records. The album (I have this one too) is pretty much what you’re expecting - The typical overly-zany dancing madness from Ele and I do have to give credit where its due, because it seems as if the album is making a great deal out of it being a GENUINE Dancehall album and, at least to my ears, it definitely fulfills in that category. What you’re expecting to be here, in terms of songs, is also here: ‘Nuh Linga’, ‘Sweep’, ‘Dip Again’ alongside Ding Dong and ‘How We Do It’ with Bounty Killer. HOWEVER, if I’m being completely honest (and I am), the best tune on the album CLEARLY is the Soca infused ‘Jamaica’ which is fucking ridiculous! So, I may slap a review on this one as well as Elephant Man turns superhero in style.

Potential Rating: 3/5
Releases on February 15
CD & Digital


Etana - “Free Expression” [VP Records]



Surely you see where this is going. Next up is clearly one of the biggest releases of 2011 (. . . it should’ve been one of the biggest releases of 2010) (I digress) as ‘The Strong One’, Etana, returns with her hotly anticipated sophomore album, ”Free Expressions”. Of course, everyone is really looking forward to this one as Etana, along with Duane Stephenson, Tarrus Riley and Queen Ifrica (and I’m about to start throwing I-Octane in that group as well, for different reasons) continue to establish themselves as the class of the future (and the present now, I suppose) for big Roots Reggae music in Jamaica and arguably she has the most potential of that lot and the fact that she grows increasingly easy on the eyes doesn’t hurt either. This time around VP Records has assembled some of her biggest hits of the last year or so such as ‘Free’, ‘August Town’ and ‘Happy Heart’. The vibes here are a bit different - More VIBRANT than on ”The Strong One”, but that’s certainly not a bad thing as everyone awaits to see if Etana can dazzle us once again. Chances are more than likely that she can.

Potential Rating: 4.5/5
Releases on February 8 (hopefully)
CD & Digital

Richie Spice - “Book Of Job” [VP Records]



Next, we have Reggae star Richie Spice going biblical with his latest release for VP Records, ”Book Of Job”. The album becomes Spice’s third official new one for the label (they also re-released one of his previous efforts) and his first from since 2007’s ”Gideon Boot”. I have to say that I typically don’t like Richie Spice’s albums, although I am a fan of his single work generally and haven’t enjoyed one since he dropped ”Spice In Your Life” (the previously alluded to album which was re-released by the label) (and a near ‘modern classic’ I should add), but surely I am in an ever shrinking minority in that instance, so definitely have a listen for yourself regardless of what I say. Recently, the official first single for the album, ’Black Woman’, reached and did so with a nice video (which we probably included here) and when this album releases, it will be THE big album of the time - who cares what I think.

Potential Rating: 4.25/5
Releases on February 22
CD & Digital


“Reggae Anthology: Digital Revolution” [17 North Parade/VP Records]

Legendary production duo, Steely & Clevie, are the stars of the latest outstanding release from the reissue imprint of VP Records, 17 North Parade. While I don’t give too much attention to these release, I have to say that I absolutely love them for the most part and ”Digital Revolution” figures to be one of my favourites. I don’t know if anyone really realizes just who much work Steely & Clevie have done for the music (and Clevie continues to after Steely transitioned last year) and it’s a release like such which certainly helps to educate us all. Listeners can look forward to a very FILL forty-two tracks of classic material crossing through generations so, that entails names as varied as Gregory Peck, Garnet Silk and Tiger on one end, with Sean Paul, Bushman and even Assassin on the other. In the middle, of course, you’ll encounter Ninja Man, Shabba Ranks, Buju and General Degree on this exquisite two set release of Dancehall supremacy.

Potential Rating: 5/5
Releases on January 25
CD & Digital


Chino - “From Mawning” (EP) [VP Records]



And lastly from the VP Records lot this week is an EP release from an artist who has apparently ‘paid his dues’ and is set to release an LP on the big label later this year, Chino. I am FARRRRRRRR from being anywhere near the biggest fan of the DJ’s, but, again, giving credit where it is deserved - Chino’s latest album, ”Never Change” reportedly is mashing up Japan and VP now wants to see if that can translate into big sales for the rest of the world. It probably can and the ”From Mawning” EP is going be a litmus test of sorts for that (although I suspect that even if it fails miserably (and it won't), you can still expect an album from Chino on the label later in 2011.

Releases on January 18
Digital


Protoje - “Seven Year Itch” [Don Corleon]



The much discussed Protoje finally gets around to scratching his ”Seven Year Itch” on his debut album for his cousin, reigning big man Don Corleon. In some respects, I can say that, just like many of the albums I’ve mentioned thus far in this post, this is one of the most anticipated releases of the year because Protoje has been virtually inescapable for the better part of 2010 for Reggae heads and his name only continues to grow with each release of new singles. Well, you can well expect things to hit never before seen levels for his popularity when the album reaches and I’m well looking forward to it. Furthermore, combinations with the likes of German star Gentleman, Don Corleon himself and Kymani Marley figure to help lure in the five or six people who aren’t interested as one of the most curious new artists to arrive in a very long time gets going with his debut album.

Potential Rating: 4/5
Releases on January 25
Digital [maybe CD]


Alpheus - “From Creation” [A-Lone Productions]

While I’m not exactly sure why, everyone has been talking quite a bit about the new release from sweet singing UK veteran, Alpheus, ”From Creation” and, I’m not complaining at all. I’ve never been the biggest fan of Alpheus’, but that doesn’t mean shit - I LOVE when there’re albums which seem sort of random which get the masses talking and they’re screaming from the back of the room about this one. I have heard clips and it does sound like very nice UK Lover’s type of vibes and the people are going mad over it so, I really hope it does well and biggup Alpheus.

Potential Rating: 4/5
Releases on January 18
CD & Digital


Turn It Up Juggling [Madhouse Records]



Briefly. Dave Kelly, never one to miss out on a buck or two has apparently gotten Coppershot to mixup his latest release the Turn It Up Riddim and . . . Yeah, they’re even releasing it as ”Turn It Up Juggling”. So for those of you who like the craziness which usually accompanies mixtapes, you’ll want to squeeze out every bit of life from the latest release from Madhouse Records, because it’ll probably be eighteen months before you hear as much as a damn squeak from them again (oh and the riddim is absolute MADNESS, but I prefer the unmixed original version which is also available).

Releases on December 28
Digital


Deadly Hunta - ‘Give Thanks’ (single) [Reality Chant Productions]

I don’t know too much about UK veteran DJ, Deadly Hunta, but I do know a big tune when I hear it and this rather random single from Reality Chant Productions (which I believe is out of Australia) caught my attention because it is a BIG tune. Apparently the riddim it utilizes, the Fire I Blaze, is also going to get its own spotlight in the new year with artists such as Luciano and Louie Culture doing the honours, but until then definitely sign up for this BIG BIG song ‘Give Thanks’ from Deadly Hunta and I’ll be looking forward to the riddim release as well.

Releases in a few hours
Digital


The Backstabber Riddim [Oneness Records]



One riddim featuring tunes by Lutan Fyah, Queen Omega, Naptali and Jah Marnyah.

Yeah. You know I’m interested in such a thing and especially when it comes from one of my new favourites, Oneness Records. As a followup to the Soul Riddim which reached earlier this year, the label returns with their latest creation, the Backstabber Riddim. Yes, it features all of those wonderful artists that I just mentioned as well as Mark Wonder, Turbulence, Jah Mason (alongside Fire T) and Raymond Wright with Prezident Brown also, so it is JAMMED full of big names, despite being only ten tracks long (there’s also someone named Da Brenner who does a tune in German). The riddim itself is a HEAVY, but colourful Roots piece and you know that it is a must for me, now if you’ll excuse me, I have an email to send.

Potential Rating: 4.5/5
Releases January 14
Digital

No comments:

Post a Comment