Thursday, December 9, 2010

Completely Random Thoughts 23: New Stuff From People I Really Like!

Okay so, I was supposed to be writing about homophobia in Reggae music today, but I had my brain locked on what I was doing at the time (writing a review for Jahdan's new album) and it didn't allow for such a drastic deviation (at least not if I wanted to continue to write the review after I was finished with the other), so stay tuned to that for next week - Probably on Wednesday. Instead for today, I noticed that there was a little bit of new stuff from quite a few people who I really enjoy, so I thought that I'd take a brief moment and tell all of you beautiful about it all most informally.


Destra & Swappi - 'Middle Ah De Road'

First, of course, is the matter at hand that Achis Reggae all-time favourite, the incomparable Destra Garcia, has released a new tune, 'Middle Ah De Road', featuring Vybz Kar . . . . I mean Swappi. LOVE IT! I'd probably say "LOVE IT" if she walked up to the mic and simply hummed a little something, so take that into consideration in my recommendation of the tune, but I really really do like this one.

The Electricity Riddim [Tiger Records/Zojak Worldwide]

I can't really give as strong of a recommendation, however, for this next piece, because I haven't really listened to it as of yet. The Electricity Riddim is another effort from another of my favourites, Sherkhan an company at Tiger Records. I've only perused the opening track 'Another Day', which features Teflon taking a very Sizzla-esque unfortunate turn. Still looking forward to hearing the second song I've ever heard from Tiger Records' 'secret weapon', Bazil, 'Celebrate' (listening to it now - NICE - Sounding like Nasio a little).

Shelly G [Vizion Sounds Records/Zojak Worldwide]



I probably don't have to tell you that ANYTHING involving former Guyana Soca Monarch (still undefeated), Shelly G, has my support and DEFINITELY that support extends to her . . . You know . . . Just releasing two digital albums at the same fucking time! The Soca release, "Socadisiac" features some of her previous well known material such as 'Touch Me' and 'Swing It' and 'Work It' alongside the brand new 'Iyan' and a very nice tune in 'Wine Up'.



"Just A Text" is an album named after a previous single and it is the much discussed Reggae album (more like an EP with eight tracks, but good luck finding them elsewhere) from Shelly G that was reportedly coming via Vizion Sounds (who orchestrates it all) late last year and certainly it's 'better late than never'. Here, you'll find the big title track, 'Mr. Right', the sultry 'Rastaman' and a big tune I don't believe I've ever heard, 'In Love'. ENJOY! I know I will.


Skinny Fabulous - 'Mash Up Fete'

Here we have a new tune from three time consecutive reigning Vincy Soca Monarch Skinny Fabulous by the name of 'Mash Up Fete'. There is some STUFF at play here because the song comes over what is apparently called the Rankin Riddim, which is better known as 'that thing which set up the HUGE 'Pas Mele' by DJ HP' who captured both Lucian Soca Monarch and Road March in 2010 with it. So, should you be able to get through this tune without singing 'Pas Mele' in your head, consider yourself armed with a far more formidable attention span than I am (or maybe you just haven't heard that song). I do REALLY like this tune, but when Skinny brings ENERGY, I almost always am going to enjoy the results.


Patrice Roberts - 'Jack It Up'

The wonderful Patrice Roberts has dropped the first of what is certain to be half a dozen or so 'bumpa tunes' for the 2011 season already and it is 'Jack It Up'. I'm not overly thrilled by this tune and really I post it because it's almost always the case with her early tunes that I won't like them so much, but by mid- January or so, I'm HOOKED. Expect similar results in about five weeks with this one.

The Everlasting Riddim [Pow Pow Productions]

And lastly - Big big and bad German label, Pow Pow, didn't make my recent list of my favourite labels today and it was largely due to the fact that I pretty much just FORGOT them. They hadn't been up to much in 2010, but just like last year (if I recall correctly), with the Surfer Riddim, they've waited until the year was almost gone to offer their big set and here it is, the Everlasting Riddim. Certainly you see the names on the cover, most of which would have gotten my attention: Gentleman (whose tune is the title track for the riddim and can be heard on his "Diversity" album from earlier this year, Natural Black, Ginjah, Perfect and the others. What you don't see, however, is that two of my up and coming favourites and two artists who I've featured as 'Artist of the Month' are also on the Everlasting Riddim. There's Smiley with the more aggressive than usual 'Bad Minds' and apparently Pow Pow has caught on with what people do when in Germany and wanting to attract Achis' attention.

YOU VOICE SARA LUGO! The delightful songstress is dropping 'Bombs of Love' all over everything even remotely important and if you get hit . . . Like it. It is a big tune (you can hear it, in its entirety, on Juno) and I just might review this one before the end of 2010.

So there you have it! I had a next tune I wanted to post from Alison Hinds, but I just might save that for my tune for Sunday (biggup JP and Ben for pushing tunes this week (who will be #3???)). The Everlasting Riddim releases on December 10. Shelly G's albums and the Electricity Riddim will be coming soon (probably very soon so keep an eye out) and we'll see you tomorrow with the review of Jahdan Blakkamoore's "Babylon Nightmare".

No comments:

Post a Comment