Friday, December 3, 2010

'Tis The Season': A Review of "Born To Rule" by Mikey General

At this time of year good people are in the mood for giving and, although it holds no great personal distinction or significance for me, I was raised under the notion that to refuse a gift was rude and I dare not disgrace my Parents and Grandmother by being impolite. So, if you were doing some shopping for Achis, what would you buy me? Well, I don’t know if you’ve noticed, but I really really like music. I’m a pretty big fan of Reggae Music, in particular - I absolutely LOVE it. Now presuming, of course, you could conjure up almost anything that I would want, maybe we could start with a new Sizzla album! I know that the New Year will almost surely bring the obligatory release from Greensleeves, now going for more than a decade strong, but if wanted to materialize such an album before the end of the month, I wouldn’t be the one complaining. What else? Well, 2010 is apparently about to end without a new studio album from Lutan Fyah, so if you could make such a thing happen, I’d be most appreciative. What else would I like? Well, in speaking more currently, looking at how the year has gone, I’d say that probably one of the greatest gifts I could receive right about now would be an album from someone like . . . Oh I don’t know . . . Let’s just say, hypothetically of course, that . . . Mikey General would just drop an album. That would be really nice. Why exactly? 2010 has been a bit of a renaissance year for the veteran singer to my opinion and the very fact that he’s simply been around more and more has helped to make the year even more memorable. This year, unlike most the previous for quite some time has found the General staying active and doing so through a very healthy variety of sources. He’s had notable appearances on bit time, top notch pieces such as the Guitar Box Riddim from Tiger Records, Dynasty Records’ Upliftment Riddim and various others (including the recent ”Cultural Vibes” compilation from Jahsolidrock & Not Easy At All Productions) releases which, although they may not have raised the profile of this wonderful artist in the grandest of senses, they’ve definitely gone onto to make up one of the greatest years of his career in recent times. So, if you could find a way to line up a Mikey General album for me that would be just such a nice thing to do.

THANK YOU! Apparently my wishes (and obviously that’s the only reason this album exists) have been responded to as a little while back came the word that an album which was going to get me REALLY excited was forthcoming - Mikey General’s latest release, ”Born To Rule”. By this point, I’m pretty beyond actually counting the number of albums the General has had (I do, however, believe that this album is his first since 2007’s very decent ”Confidence In Self”), but I do have confidence in myself when I saying that, in all likelihood (some confidence, right?), I’ve never before been SO excited to dig into one of his albums. Traditionally viewed as somewhat of a ’sidekick’ (and I mean that not only in the most respectful of senses, but I also don’t have that view, personally) to Reggae legend and his “spiritual brother”, Luciano (who, most coincidentally, also has a brand new album out these days, ”Write My Name”), for me and a hopefully ever expanding group of fans, the General is just as talented as his historical friend and probably has been one of the most wholly talented singers that this generation of Roots Reggae music has seen. For me, besides just acknowledging that he has had a very good year (and he has), Mikey General is one of the artists who I just always like to listen to because his music is just so well presented, first and foremost. While I may be able to find you artists who have better voices (but not many) or artists who have sharper pens (but not many there either), I cannot name you a single one (including Luciano) who appears to have a greater COMMITMENT to what he/she sings than Mikey General. Also, in terms of the most tangible, I definitely consider the General to be one of the finest lyricists singing today. It isn’t necessarily something he gets due credit for, at least not in my opinion, but when you REALLY check Mikey General’s words and his messages, it’s quite clear. Now, speaking of credit, credit goes to the General himself (obviously) as well Luciano, for pushing the ”Born To Rule” album through their very own label, Qabalah First Music, in conjunction with Domacran Music from out of Germany. Previously, Qabalah has released albums for Mikey General and combination albums between the two and it’s so nice to know that they’re still in business and not only that but are in the business of undertaking such a project. With labels coming (especially) and going so often these days, Qabalah is one which, although not very active, always has found the time and resources to do the works of Mikey General and Luciano and that is the way things should be. As for the music here, it appears that the album has been placed together with former singles from the General and while some are familiar, some are much less so (and presumably new-ish). With that being said, of course should expect the same proven style of high and higher spirituality and inspirational type of vibes from the singer. There’re some twists and turns and one in particular, but to my mind the album doesn’t attempt to go about shedding any type of tradition of Mikey General and that’s so nice because we definitely like him the way that he is. By its end, while I’m not overly impressed or prepared to call ”Born To Rule” Mikey General’s best album to date, it does serve the purpose of not only keeping his name ‘out there’, but also - More Mikey General music is just a good idea and thank you for the gift!

If you know Mikey General’s music and you can at least somewhat put together this album, then the prevailing sentiment is very clear and so clear, in fact, that I thought that I’d start there for a change. Mikey General sings to praise to His Imperial Majesty and at least indirectly EVERY song on his new album, ”Born To Rule”, is done with that in mind. Directly speaking, there is a stretch in the early-mid portion of the album which has a string of what is some of the best material to be found on the album and all of the tunes are giving direct honour and glory to His Majesty. The first of these tunes is the fourth tune on the album, the delectably vibed ‘Jah Send His Love’. This one is just a ‘feel good’ type of a moment. It isn’t an over-cheery type of a song or corny to any degree, but I think that most listeners are going to have a very hard time vibing this tune without cracking at least one smile. Next in is my choice of the album’s finest moment altogether, the sublime title track.

“Seh mi nah tek no idiot chat
Cuz my knowledge is based on fact
Mystery babylon caan make I stop
Praise the toppa top
Cuz my faith is solid as a rock
I’m now the shepherd of the flock
And even though they put on the pressure
I remain a total Rasta”

The song is really (at least to my ears) about the wonderfulness which comes with walking with His Majesty and I think that, although the title and the chorus of the song are pretty specific, it is a song which definitely captures the main point of the album and absolutely a clear choice for the album’s title. Following that big selection is probably the most familiar draw on ”Born To Rule”, ‘Father God Almighty’. The tune came across Joe Fraser’s Chi Chi Bud Riddim from a few years back and it’s as nice now and it’s ever been to me and this is the type of seemingly ‘lost’ tune that can definitely be reenergized on album like this. ‘Ababa Jahnoy’ is the album’s previously alluded to changeup and it’s also the only combination you’ll find here. Joining the General are, of course, Luciano and Ethiopian artist Haile Roots and it was apparently recorded in Addis Ababa. The vibes are this one are . . . Different to say the least. It took a while to grow on me but, at this point it’s one of my favourites now so do give it a few spins before passing judgment. And finally there’s the declarative ‘So Amazing’, which speaks on the power of His Imperial Majesty. This is another one which will probably take more than one spin so give it some time, but it is fairly accessible and probably one of the better lyrical efforts on the album (particularly when the General begins to sing about the difference between KNOWING and BELIEVING).

As for the rest of the tunes on ”Born To Rule” as I said, they all have something to do with giving thanks and praise to The Almighty, but they do so, for the most part, indirectly and that alone isn’t a bad thing (and most of the time that’s my favourite type of song). For example, while the opener isn’t a song which I particularly really enjoy, ‘Full Speed’ is decent social commentary where Mikey General speaks the nature of the way the world works these days being too fast, literally and figuratively, and how it would be so much better if things ‘slowed down’ and everybody could enjoy the fullness of His Majesty. Continuing on, the second track ‘Free’ (which I REALLY like) has a bit of an odd vibes around it and it speaks on breaking free from the same type of situation elaborated on in the first track (and guess how that is accomplished) and perhaps the dynamic ‘Now Is The Time’ is the needed ’umph’ to get those things going - Becoming “free”. And I’ll jump ahead (just messy this time don’t?) to make a comparison between ‘Now Is The Time’ and ‘Tek It To Dem’, the album’s closer which is another type of ‘kick’ type of song. This one, however, is one which seems to be very personal for Mikey General as he speaks on his struggles in the business of making music and how he’s thought of leaving it all behind him.

“So many years of service yeah
Still can’t get no justice no
My family and friends encourage me
And let me know it’s worth it
My conscience rebukes me
And ask me if I am mad
How could I give up now and be unfaithful to God?
I‘ve got a mission to do
I’ve got to complete my trod”

This one really struck me because you and I can look at Mikey General’s career and say how it seems that he’s been struggling to make a name for himself along his journey and that’s one thing - But to hear the man himself say is certainly another FAR more revealing and fascinating and while that tune isn’t terribly impressive sonically speaking, it’s easily one of the most significant on the album.

The best of the remaining songs on ”Born To Rule” is probably the Da’Ville helmed ‘Joy & Laughter’ which is just really strong and upful. The tune is somewhat limited, but I do really enjoy the vibes which just light up not only this track, but the whole of the latter portion of the album, arguably. ’Better Place’ is another decent effort as is ’Me Myself & I’, but neither really offer too much exceptional. What I would suggest is to listen to both from more of a sonic standpoint. In that aspect, both are very nice (particularly the latter). And finally also check both the very familiar ’For The World’ and ’Need To Know’. The second of the two remains me quite a bit of ’No No No’ by Dawn Penn and it is the only ’traditional’ love song on the album as well. ’For The World’ is a pretty good honestly (it‘s also the shortest song on the entire album) - Although despite the fact that it does make a pretty large statement, my greatest interest in it is the fact that it sounds so nice.

Overall, what I’ll say about this album is that it is by no means the greatest album that I’ve heard and it’s not Mikey General’s best either. There are some soft spots here and lyrically it isn’t top notch either (particularly getting on towards the end). HOWEVER, there certainly are no BAD tunes here and none which you kind of frown upon being here as ‘experimental’ or simply drawing down the quality of the project. On top of that, like I said, it is a Mikey General album and the world (and MY world) instantly becomes a better place when he drops a new project. It should also be mentioned that the album itself is so nicely presented with very nice photos, graphics and words in the liners (including a very powerful (and extended) quote from His Imperial Majesty). So, given the year Mikey General has had, it is most appropriate that he blesses the masses with his latest album release in 2010 and while ”Born To Rule” is not a GREAT album, it’s more than enough to keep us interested (and even if he didn’t release it, we’d still be interested) and looking forward to an even bigger 2011 from Mikey General. Thanks for the gift.

Rated: 3.5/5
Qabalah First Music/Domacran Music
2010
CD + Digital



Mikey General @ Myspace

No comments:

Post a Comment