Wednesday, August 8, 2012

What I'm Listening To: August

'Nuh Start It Up' by Aidonia (single) [Chimney Records - 2012]

First up we have a tune from someone in Aidonia who I haven't listened to as much over the past couple of years or so that I used to, but I still have to give him a big credit when he, essentially, serves his 'purpose' in the music, which exists in providing some of those crazy moments which just make you shake your head in disbelief that the man can be that talented. As of late, that moment well comes through on 'Nuh Start It Up', courtesy of Chimney Records. MAD! It's a big, nasty and crazy violent track, but you get to a point in this tune where you come to the conclusion that it's Aidonia at or near his absolute best and when such occurrences. . . occur, you REALLY have to take a notice of one of the most devastating lyricists the Dancehall has ever seen. 

"Tell dem no start it up
Tell dem seh no start it up
Tell dem no start it up
Tell dem seh no start it up
A GUN WI WALK WID, WI NO WALK WID SWORD LAK SPARTACUS!" 

Digital

The Revolution Time Riddim [Xterminator Productions]

Next in, the mighty Xterminator continues their very colourful return to prominence via the Revolution Time Riddim. I actually remembered this set from maybe late 2011 when there was similarly vibed tune by the name of 'Bittersweet' from Xtm. staple, Jesse Royal and that song, obviously, was the head for the forthcoming full riddim release. Joining Mr. Royal are a couple of Spices, Mikey and Richie - the former pushing the GORGEOUS 'Jah Give I Love' - and an expectedly masterful Lutan Fyah who checks in with 'Tired of the Suffering'. Of course you'd wish for more, but besides that, there's not a damn thing complain-able about from this one. It's excellent. 

Digital 

"The Laboratory" by Da Professor [Don Corleon Records - 2012]

I've been meaning to go back and have a listen to an album which reached very early in 2012 and one which I think I may be underrating these days and having had a couple of my absolute favourite readers mention it to us in the last week or so for various reasons (biggup Nat) (biggup Steven, who may be a genius) (did you catch that???), I've gone back and started vibing, again, "The Laboratory", the debut album from Don Corleon 'secret weapon', Da Professor. What I'm thinking these days is just how diverse this album was. There're so many different styles and musical textures thrown in here that, while it doesn't quite approach that level, it almost sounds like a Busy Signal album! It was beautiful, it was, so maybe Nat and Steven well have a point that when it comes time to crowning up 2012, this one deserves a bit of a healthy reconsideration. 'Skanking & Rocking' and 'Fi Her Type' lead the way on an album full of golden moments, which I may have underrated. 

Digital  

"Next Direction" by Bunji Garlin [I International Music - 2006] 

2012 for me has been a year in which I've well enjoyed listening to a whole heap of Trini Ragga Soca ace, Bunji Garlin. He had a fantastic year, which produced an equally impressive album in "iSpaniard" and he was just in a general fine form this year. These days I've went back a few years and have been playing ENDLESSLY the "Next Direction" album. The album did include 'Snake Oil' remix, which I didn't like, but making up for that was a line of huge songs such as 'Bomb Song', the madness that was 'Whatever' ["make blood cells reconfigurate, if you wanna try pirate or confiscate my lyrics one time, you go regurgitate. Accelerate di rate, you will get liquidate"] [WHAT!], 'Warriors Coming' and the I Wayne aimed 'Yuh Mad Or What'. Oh and there were two billion featured guests also. 

CD 

Jah Mason

And lastly, as you might expect, there has been a MASSIVE amount of holdovers from our Discography series. Of particular interest - I've been listening to some much old[er] Jah Mason albums and singles with the main highlights being the "Unlimited" and "Most Royal" albums, respectively. 

{Biggup everyone!}

No comments:

Post a Comment