Monday, June 28, 2021

Still A Part of My Life: A Review of "Flowaz" by Sara Lugo

Rush hour on memory lane. One of these days, I'm going to write a review that is just super-simple and brief. It's just going to say something like, "I really enjoy this album and I think you will also. Check it out"..... today will not be that day. Nope. Today will be the exact opposite (and I'm calling it "today",  but it's probably going to take three or four to finish). I am going to ramble. I am going to deviate and go off-topic (I'm doing that right now actually). And if it all goes according to plan (and it almost surely will not), somewhere in here you'll find an album review. If not, well then there's nothing stopping me from trying it again at some point or, if all else fails, I can simply tack "I really enjoy this album and I think you will also" on the end and it will sound nice. Searching back through the archives of these pages will show a particular history dating allllllllllll the way back to May of 2010 when we had an Artist of The Month feature for a very unique vocalist from out of Germany by the name of Sara Lugo. While I like to think that I have a good eye and ear for talent, and for potential talent in particular, I don't know if I would have pictured what was to come and I surely wouldn't have seen myself, all these years later, just as excited, if not MORE, to write about her music as I was on that day. On top of that, I most certainly would not have expected to become.... probably the biggest cheerleader of Sara Lugo's music on the planet.

Since then (I have become a crazy old man), the singer has captivated. What was to follow was a pair of more than solid studio sets, "What About Love" from 2011 and "Hit Me With Me Music", which came three years on. She'd also see a compilation release from 2016, "Sara Lugo and Friends", which featured some of her best work uniting with the likes of Cali P, Jah9, Lutan Fyah, Kabaka Pyramid, Protoje and others (like Ras Muhammad). There was also "Swing Ting" from 2017 which, VERY INTERESTINGLY, featured Lugo displaying a handful of her singles backed by Jazzrausch Bigband, which was absolute ear-candy and just such a wonderful idea. "Swing Ting" leads me into a point of precisely how I think we ended up here. I've always attempted to explain my fascination with Sara Lugo's music by focusing on how, despite how clearly 'open' it is -- she has an unqualifiably (probably not a word, but I'm going to explain it) nice voice: She can just SANG! Her voice is excellent, she could pick up a recipe and sing it and it'd be nice to listen to -- she makes Reggae music. Her voice is Jazz to my ears, but she uses it for Reggae and it is SO DAMN FASCINATING because, on her end, there is no shift at all. The result is that she is just as comfortable on the heaviest and most rigid one drop you can find as she is on a project like "Swing Ting".  The comparison I sometimes come up with (I told you I was going to go off topic) (I warned you!) is Antiguan Soca singer, Claudette Peters. Her voice is Gospel. It sits in a pew on Sunday and it claps. It has a fan in its hand and it has an organ playing behind it at all times. But she uses it for chaos. She is a wizardess of jumping, waving and wining. But you listen to her music, at all times, knowing that there is a red button she can press at any time and turn everything to ash with that voice and virtually no one else, as esteemed as she is in Soca (I don't know how many times she's won Antigua's Soca Monarch) (it might be ten) (I looked it up, it's nine times), can do that. Sara Lugo presents such a similarly interesting situation and it has spent the last decade+ making a massive fan out of me. Why are we here? Why does she sound like this and make music like this? Because she is amazing at it.

Way way back in October of last year, Lugo released a brand new EP by the name of "Elevate". That set got me off my ass and made me feel like writing again, leading to what would become the first post on this blog in nearly four years and, once again, I was hooked. At the time, I though it was her most immediately diverse collection to date (more on that in a minute) and another delightful display of that VOICE. Now, I never made the connection back then, but "Elevate" was a direct descendant of a self-titled release she had back in 2009 [pictured]. That piece had four songs on it which are bona fide classics to my ears now ["WAITING FOR YOU, WAITING FOR YOU!"] (WHAT!) (BOOM!) and, nostalgically, probably contained the very first bit of music I had ever heard from the singer. The first EP would subsequently go on to be inhaled by the aforementioned "What About Love" album and now, so has "Elevate"! Sara Lugo returns  to the world in 2021 with her third studio album release, the downright iridescent "Flowaz".
 


To date, though she has worked with a variety of producers and labels, all of Lugo's full releases have come via Oneness Records from out of Germany which has become one of my favourites as well - having provided this blog, I think, with two different 'album of the year' winners, from Mark Wonder and Naptali, respectively, as well as a whole heap of solid compilations. So even independently of one another, Sara Lugo and Oneness Records are big deals on these pages and the many times they've linked together, they've produced.... wonderful music. But sometimes things change and that's okay. "Flowaz", like "Elevate" before it, come through Take It Easy Agency from out of France. I don't think that we've ran into their music prior to the EP, but that's fine. If you sign up Sara Lugo and DO A FULL ALBUM WITH HER [!], you're going to get my attention and maybe I'll even enjoy what I hear ["Maybe I can learn to love youuuuuuuuu!"] [WHAT!] [BOOM!].
 
Yep. Yep. I sure will.
 
 

Listening to "Elevate" previously, I was of the opinion that it represented some of the most diverse and disparate work of Sara Lugo's career, in terms of a collection of music. I don't know that I feel like that anymore (likely due to having become so familiar with that work over the past few months, it's become normalized to my ears). These days, while what I hear isn't Lugo/Oneness, it isn't a grand deviation from what she's done thus far and, again, that's at least partially due to that voice and an ability to blend styles absolutely effortlessly. Getting things up and going on Sara Lugo's brand new album, "Flowaz" from Take It Easy is the album's eponymous tune and one which did appear on "Elevate" (there were six tracks in full there (one was a remix), four of which carry over in the ten featured here) (which means SIX NEW SARA LUGO SONGS THAT I HAVE NEVER HEARD BEFORE!) (WHAT!). 'Flowaz', the song,  is gorgeous. As I said before, it is a fairly straight forward Jazz composition and, as you would expect, Lugo completely shines on such a piece: She probably couldn't even if she tried not to. I have slightly evolved in what I think of its direction. I've pinpointed it a bit. I like the concept of 'flowaz' just representing 'nice things' or 'beautiful things'. Whatever that means to you, Lugo wants to highlight those things in your mind. It is a piece of ideology which functions so SNUG on a song like this because each time you listen to it, there's a chance to find something new to appreciate in it. For example, my latest 'find' is during the first verse where she says:

"Not just beautiful to look at, but the way you smell"

And I took that to a situation of first meeting someone. After you see them, you just begin to take in and process everything about them when they make an impact on you. A golden start. Next in is our very first brand new selection, 'One In A Million'. For some reason, I was certain that I had heard it prior to this album somewhere, but at least a quick scan reveals it as a new song for this album. The message of this one is very interesting as well because the title maybe gives you one idea of it being some type of celebratory vibes but when you listen to it, it kind of is but, for her part, the singer is a bit frustrated and pissed off.

"Boy you better watch what comes out of your mouth
If you don't best prepare yourself for a jolt
Cause I'm sick and  tired of fighting with you over simple stuff you don't want to do
I am not your mama, clean up your mess
You should give me your best, I deserve nothing less
And if you work with me, I will work with you
I can make your dreams come true"

What I ultimately came away with was the notion of 'One In A Million' being centered around self-respect. Her frustration comes at someone underestimating and undervaluing themselves. And she's right: If you treat yourself like shit, how will you treat someone else? Probably even worse (if that's possible) (and it is). As for the actual vibes of the song, 'One In A Million' is sublime. I don't know what I would call it... maybe R&Bish (?), but whatever you want to call it, genre-wise, the first modifier is 'well-done'. Speaking of different sounds, 'Elevate', the song is one which is beyond description musically, from me. I don't know what that is and while it, too, has become familiar to me having listened to it so much, I stopped trying to classify it in that regards. I will say that I did use to hear a darkness on this one which has dissipated a bit (the word I used was "brooding"). It isn't completely sunny and rosy, but I don't hear a sadness or a harshness that I once did. Theme-wise, it actually chases 'One In A Million' very strong on this album. On that song she's telling you that you're slacking, you're not living up to your potential, in 'Elevate' Sara Lugo is telling you exactly what you need to do in order to make that happen on a song which may not get the full credit it should from a lyrical standpoint because of just how dazzling it can be, especially later on. So pay a special attention to that one.
 
 

I'm almost tempted to break my own unwritten rule on this album by not fully declaring a favourite (probably for the first time ever) because, whatever it is, it's one of three and (I just don't feel like picking) (AND I DON'T HAVE TO!) the first of them to appear on "Flowaz", is the wholly MAMMOTH 'Better Way'. TEARS! I think this may be the album's first single directly for it and they chose wisely. 'Better Way', in my opinion, ranks solidly alongside selections such as 'Soul Chaos', 'Black & White', 'Bombs of Love', 'Soldiers of Love' and others as some of the finest lyrical performances of Lugo's career to date ('Woman on A Mission' would also be in there as well) (that song was FANTASTIC!). The vocals are also very nice (DUH!) and they combine to make a serious winner. There is an almost shivering intensity to this song which will not, at all, leap out at you initially, but it builds and builds and builds. And it doesn't do it just once. As it grows on you and you begin to comprehend it more and more, it become more vivid and is such a powerful effort. Call it a call it to action or an inspirational piece (it's both of them), or whatever you want, 'Better Way' is GREAT and one of the best of Sara Lugo that you will hear. To my ears, the Hip-Hoppish 'Energy of God' is and has always been this fine celebration of diversity and individuality. Initially found on the "Elevate" EP, the tune, this is another winning lyrical effort and it's grown just a bit from the first time I heard it. There's an old saying which says, "be yourself because everyone else is taken", which shares a foundation of thought with 'Energy of God' and I love how she embraces the word "God" or 'that which is divine', which places an even greater emphasis on individuality. The world doesn't need what we already have (because..... we already have it), we need something different. Like you!

The second half of "Flowaz" [I wrote all of that ^ and I'm only halfway through this album] [DELICIOUS!] begins with another song which may or may not be my absolute favourite on it, the MATURE 'Falls'. If you have led a perfect life then, by all means, feel free to skip 'Falls' and go right ahead. It's not for you. HOWEVER, if you are not perfect and are like the rest of us highly, HIGHLY flawed individuals who have made a staggering amount of mistakes in life and will continue to, I am confident that you, like I did, will find a great JOY in this one.

"Even if everything seems alright
Everybody falls sometimes
Everybody falls sometimes"

Lugo's done similarly composed tunes as this one in the past ('Play With Fire' was a bit harsher, but comparable actually) and this one stands out for me, personally. I used the word "mature" because of how she approaches it. When you're young and you screw up, it's basically the end of the world ["You feel the sky is falling on your head"] ('Nothing To Worry', big tune) (big riddim too). Everything is fucked up and it always will be and that's the end of that. But when you get older, you develop and you gain a bit of life experience, you make your share of mistakes big and small and you see others do the same and YOU HELP THEM THROUGH THEM AND THEY DO THE SAME FOR YOU and the sky doesn't fall and crush you to death. It's a sentiment I've always loved to hear expressed, especially musically, because it takes a potentially dramatic and stressful event and it RESPECTS it, but it also normalizes it. People were screwing up long before you got here, they'll still be doing it long after you are gone. And going further, you can tie it into something like forgiveness for yourself and others as well. 'Falls' is also one of the most Reggae-centric efforts on the whole of "Flowaz" and, musically, it is well given its opportunity to shine and it does. NOW! Looking up and down the tracklist for "Flowaz", there is definitely one piece which, on paper, stands out from the rest and one which I'd been looking forward to hearing from ever since I saw it, maybe two or three weeks ago and it came with a question: What the hell is 'Mexican Airlines' about? I did have theories. The one I had the most confidence in was that Sara Lugo had written this about traveling the world, performing her music. Maybe she had some experience in an airport in Mexico and decided to write about it. I also had an idea that she had decided to write a song in Spanish. Lugo is half Puerto Rican and because I am someone who speaks PERFECT broken Spanish, I would love to hear such a thing. Well, as it turns out, I wasn't entirely wrong.

"Buenos dias, como estas?
Tell me, how are you today?
Merci, muchas gracias. Thanks for asking-
I'm okay"

There are blips and bites of 'Mexican Airlines' which're in Spanish (see! Not entirely wrong!) and what I ultimately took away from it was that it was about the unpredictable nature of everyday life. Given its opening lines, "Lost in my brain, in some far away place, waiting to come home again", I'm also very confident in assuming that it was at least conceptualized in an airport (probably in Mexico). Its sound isn't a deviation at all (the beginning sounds like maybe the opening of a romantic comedy movie), however, given its course the tune is definitely the album's changeup. And it is something different, but you listen to 'Mexican Airlines' and it isn't out of place on this album - and it isn't out of place in Lugo's entire catalog. And should she choose to make an entire project in Spanish one day (biggup Danny I who did do that a few years ago), I'd be interested (she could make a damn album in Piglatin and I'd be "interested"). And biggup the piano player (and on 'Better Way' as well). Have I told you my favourite track on "Flowaz" yet??? Of course I haven't, but I will tell you that it MIGHT be the unifying 'Open Doors'. Another selection which is distinctly Reggae in its foundation, 'Open Doors' excels for me, at least partially, due to its simplicity. BE NICER TO EACH OTHER! It isn't rocket science and it's easy as hell: "Maybe we should open doors, MAYBE IF YOU OPEN YOURS". I'm not opening my doors. I'm having them removed. And, before I forget to mention it, 'Open Doors', features, arguably, the finest vocal performance that you'll find here. It is amazing. After telling us to open doors, Lugo next suggests that we are all 'Looking For the Key'. Following 'Mexican Airlines', I was probably most interested in this one, just going by the title. I actually supposed it might be a love song. Instead, what it is and what the idea behind Lugo's "key", is happiness. It isn't that dissimilar to some of the other tunes on the album, but what it does have specifically in its favour is this kind of GLOW. About two and a half minutes into, it literally TAKES OFF! The song flies! It goes to the proverbial 'next level', making it maybe the finest listen on "Flowaz" (which is saying a lot) and I wouldn't be at all surprised if it became a single at some point. Finally is the anti-indolence and negativity, 'Time', which we know from the "Elevate" EP. While I haven't moved off of much from what I think of this one -- it's a song about utilizing one's fleeting time as well as possible because no one knows exactly how much of it we do have (but we do know that we don't have A LOT of it, in the grandest sense, human beings just do not live very long) ["Use it while you've got it"] -- I do have more of an appreciation of its sound. It probably isn't completely inaccurate to call it R&B or at least something close to it, but there is an infectious CHIME which appears throughout this one which you will find yourself humming and mimicking in your head loooong after your most recent playthrough. Trust me. I know. I'm doing it right now.
 
 

Overall ['Better Way' is the best song on this album], after listening to this album and then attempting to break it down for the sake of a review (and now with 'Time' stuck in my head), I'm left thinking about the last eleven years and something which I did not mention at all during the write-up. I don't know how long, exactly, Sara Lugo has been making music, but we can safely say that it's been at least a dozen years now. She's DEVELOPED. She hasn't been idle and, now three full studio albums in and three EP's and probably dozens of singles and performances and while she still very much looks like someone who you'd expect to find on a university campus, she is now a full-fledged and certified VETERAN. She's also worked alongside a number of her truly talented and most esteemed peers. Therefore, when you listen to her music, you should expect to hear the result and the mixing of all of this, through the years and on "Flowaz", you will. While surely eclectic (listening back to it now, so was "Hit Me With Music") (GREAT ALBUM) and OPEN, the album may just be her most detailed release to date, which is saying a great deal. This is the type of set (again, like "Hit Me With Music") which doesn't register completely on the first few spins through it. If you like it now, you will probably love it in a little while (a fact which is especially evident on 'Better Way', REALLY listen to the words on that tune or read the lyrics somewhere, it will EXPLODE and it is easy to miss because that particular track is so nice to listen to and that message can get lost in some humming along). I'm already at that point. I'll see you when you get here. EXCELLENT..... I really enjoy this album, I think you will also. Check it out.


"There's gotta be a better solution
Gotta be a better way
THE TRUTH IS THAT I JUST GOT STARTED
AIN'T NO GETTING IN MY WAY
"

 
Take It Easy Agency
CD + Digital
2021

No comments:

Post a Comment