Monday, January 17, 2022

While We Were Sleeping!

Okay so, while we're still working to catch up on so much of the fine STUFF we missed out on while on hiatus, I have come to the conclusion that I cannot possibly get to them all... and I have also come to the conclusion that I don't.... really want to. So, I thought that we'd bundle some of them together and slap some quick thoughts on some things that we would have surely looked at around their release date, but I don't have plans to do a full review for today for one reason or another... laziness or.... something like that, you get the picture. While We Were Sleeping
 
{Note: Wouldn't be surprised if I did a second volume of this list at some point


"Ten Of Hearts" by Alaine [Juke Boxx Productions - 2015]

I very hesitatingly start this list with a release which I am most likely to get around reviewing someday but I'm only including it here because I had forgotten (and was, subsequently embarrassed by the fact that-) that I had never gotten around to writing it up already. "Ten Of Hearts" was Alaine's third album (I THINK) and it was her first which wasn't exclusive to the east (both "Sacrifice" and "Luv A Dub" were Japanese albums). It was also the first which found her outside of the helm of legendary producer, Don Corleon. The angellic singer would move 'from strength to strength', however, and find herself with a brand new album courtesy of Shane Brown and his well esteemed Juke Boxx imprint (with Zojak Worldwide on distribution). Check.... well this would be the point where I would recommend my favourite songs on the album, but you can listen to almost anything on "Ten Of Hearts" and run into a winner (like, for example, 'Suzanna'). Guesting were the likes of Tarrus Riley, J Boog, Dre Island and other.... yeah, I'll probably review this one, never mind. 

CD [not too hard to find] + Digital

"Eyes Ah Look" by Natural Black [Vizion Sounds Records - 2018]

Natural Black is someone who released multiple projects during our time away and I am planning to get around to at least one of them (maybe even this one, actually), and because it's been quite awhile since we did anything on him (and he's become even more interesting since then), I thought it a good idea to put something from him in here. This set, "Eyes Ah Look" from Achis Reggae favourite Vizion Sounds Records -- from out of Guyana, just like Natural Black -- is close to an earlier release from the chanter, "My Life" in its quality (though I do tend to lean to "My Life" and I'll probably end up reviewing that one). Both were typical, melodically pleasing Roots-ish material (minus one GIANT element, of course) and you couldn't go wrong with either. Standouts for various reasons included 'Flat Theory', 'Praises'...., 'Too Much Back Stabbing' and 'Foreigna'. 

Digital

"Amsterdam Revival" by Miriam Revival [Dredda Records - 2020]

I can recall really looking forward to the debut album from Surinamese/Dutch singer, Miriam Simone and, back in 2015, she would deliver it and do so fantastically in "Mount Zion" and, at some point this year, I'm planning on telling you about that one in detail. Five years later, she would come back with her sophomore effort, "Amsterdam Revival" and do so, on paper, with FLAMES. Sizzla Kalonji, Capleton, Queen Omega and Dammie (who is Miriam Simone's son, I believe) all would feature in its ranks and the album was pretty solid (though the single best song was still a solo effort in 'Freedom'). That being said, however, I still favoured (and still do to this day), "Mount Zion" and, as I said, someday soon I hope to tell you why. 

Digital

"Rebirth" by Marlon Asher [VAS Productions LLC - 2019]

Trini Reggae star, Marlon Asher, also gave us a pair of albums and I am planning to get around to the first of them, 2015's "Illusion", but by all means you should also check out what remains his most recent set to date, "Rebirth", from a few years back. For me, I look back at this one as being a very subtly COLOURFUL Roots album. I hear so many different styles wrapped up in this one and music which you don't regularly associate with the genre. Of course that isn't a bad thing and certain areas of "Rebirth" shined! Take a listen to the likes of 'Healing', 'King Of Kings', 'Reggae Music' with Anthony B and the MAMMOTH 'Through My Window'. Also appearing besides Anthony B (twice) were Pressure Buspipe, Meleku, Slightly Stoopid (twice), King David and Fluid Foundation.

Digital

"Mozaïka" by Admiral T [Elite Base - 2019]

Gwada supernova, Admiral T, was wonderfully ultra-active during our time away, releasing more projects than I... feel like counting right now. I'll surely get around to doing up an entire review for at least one of them this year, but arguably the most interesting of the lot was this GOLDEN eight-tracked EP from 2019, "Mozaïka". Featuring more traditionally vibed music to the FWI, the set would show yet another side to the remarkably talented Admiral T with tunes such as the title track (try listening to that song and NOT moving, I dare you!), the resounding 'Sèt Ritm' and 'Chat ka Tété Rat' alongside the immortal Jacob Desvarieux highlighting. Probably one of the better EP's of recent years. 

Digital

No comments:

Post a Comment