Thursday, November 2, 2023

"Stay True" by Khalia!

"Stay True" by Khalia Ineffable Records

Next?? I'd like to think that I'm at least a little discerning so it doesn't happen very often at all, but if you look at the history of these pages, you'll notice several things. The first, obviously, is that I talk entirely too fucking much; another thing you might notice is that, every so often, I'll come across an artist and IMMEDIATELY become a fan of theirs and turn into one of their more vocal supporters online anywhere. Think back to individuals such as Messenjah Selah (an odd example, I know, but I'm still relatively confident in saying that no one has still written as much about his music than I have), the brilliant Reemah and, of course, Funky Comfort herself, Sara Lugo. Well, though it may have been a long time since last we encountered such an individual (or has it??? I should probably also include the likes of Vaughn Benjamin, Norris Man and Mark Wonder), I'm thinking that I've recently come across the latest example of someone whose music is going to be receiving a whole heap of my attention on these pages and already has, the incredibly interesting Khalia. 

(....Yes, I know what you're thinking and I agree. She is stunning!) Khalia, in her best form for me, might make the most refreshing form of Lover's Rock Reggae music that I've heard in a very long time. There is a very smooth and organic vibes to her work and as someone who wouldn't describe themselves as the hugest of Lover's Rock heads, she's the greatest thing to happen to Reggae love songs, again, in a very long time. She isn't a one-trick pony either and Khalia will routinely touch the typical topics terrestrial to Reggae music (like that, didn't ya), but when the Jamaican born UK grown songstress makes a song about that special someone, she SOARS virtually every time and it caught me! So, you know what I wanted and while that full blown project remains something to wait for, Ineffable Records have done something wonderful and released "Stay True", the debut seven-track EP release from Khalia. Not only has she shown great promise on her own, but she's done so under the guide of one of the greatest maestros the genre has ever seen in Tony 'CD' Kelly whose handiwork is delightfully all over "Stay True". So just to recap: We have someone who is quickly becoming one of my favourite artists today working alongside someone who has long become one of my favourite producers of all time, doing a brand of infectious music which she is in the process of making her own. You know I'm interested and, if you've read this far, I think you might be as well. Let's talk about it a little. 

1. 'Waiting On You'

The first tune on "Stay True" is probably its very single that I heard after learning that the set was forthcoming and with its captivating old school bounce, by its end, it sits as one of its highest of highlights and I probably have an even greater appreciation for the tune today than I did when I first laid ears on it a few weeks ago now. 'Waiting On You' very quickly finds a groove that it settles into that is in the STARS somewhere and Khalia maximizes it to its full potential. This track is unfortunately quite short but, if you think about it, it's really an exercise in patience as Khalia finds herself waiting on her special someone and, CLEARLY, the girl just got tired of waiting. BOOM!

2. 'Didn't I'

I'm pretty sure 'Didn't I' was a completely new song to my ears and... the things that it does to my ears.... DAMN. What a truly GORGEOUS creation 'Didn't I' is. For me it establishes itself as the clear winner here early and though it is chased by some excellent work, by the end of "Stay True", it reigns supreme. The song also fully captures what I meant when I said that Khalia had a "refreshing" take on Lover's Rock as though I don't think anyone is going to find it as revolutionary or something they've never ever heard before, there's something so delightfully and comfortably MODERN about 'Didn't I'. My absolute favourite Khalia song is one you won't find here, the Collie Buddz produced 'High', but 'Didn't I' is definitely in the process of making a challenge to it. 

3. 'Tings & Times' featuring Mortimer

The first of a surprising four combinations finds Khala linking up with Mortimer (who, at least at times, sounds a bit like Serani) and doing so in an ever so slightly different tpe of tune. At its core, 'Tings & Times' is surely a love song but, specifically, it's one about persevering through hard times and maintaining the love and the relationship. It also, at least for me, has elements which seem to reach between a romantic relationship as you could  very well apply these concepts to.... friendships or family ties as well. It's just about DEPENDABILITY. However it sizes up for you though, I think we'll all be able to agree that 'Tings & Times' is also EXCELLENT.

4. 'Double Trouble' featuring Shaggy

If you were going through the first three tunes and came to the conclusion that maybe you needed a little BITE to the vibes of "Stay True", Khalia pulls in the great Shaggy for just a bit of spice on the all kinds of fun 'Double Trouble. You should know what to expect here, you've heard it dozens of times before but, as is the case here, when songs like this are done WELL, they are damn catchy and infectious and I would expect 'Double Trouble' to be one of the, if not THE most listened to selection on "Stay True". 

"Worries and problems again
Yeah we make good lovers but we're terrible friends"

5. 'No Answer' featuring Tanya Stephens

There are very few bona fide geniuses in music --or in anywhere else in the world-- but Tanya Stephens is definitely one of them. The longtime Dancehall veteran lays claim (EASILY) to being one of the most intelligent minds the genre has ever come across and, even on paper, a combination between Stephens & Khalia is a big deal. In actuality it did not disappoint as the two come together on a GORGEOUS social commentary where they seek explanations for the way things are and, ultimately, come away empty-handed with 'No Answer'.

"Everybody know seh wah yuh fertilize di most have di highest probability fi grow
So why dem investing in crime and ignoring education?
Khalia, ask dem. 
Wi waan know"

The  vibes of the song are also top notch with a 'dramatic' scene painted around an old school set and what we end up with is definitely amongst the heights of "Stay True".

6. 'Stay True'

The severely R&B/Pop infused title track isn't a favourite of mine, but I won't completely dismiss it because of the message behind it. I'm going to tell you what to do if you hear this track on a superficial level and don't love what you hear; just do one thing. Go back and listen to the second verse on 'Stay True'. Listen very carefully and then cast your judgment on it. I don't think the tune is going to reach a lot of heavy Reggae heads (it won't) who'll not give it a chance, but when you skip it, you'll be missing out on a little lyrical gem (somewhat reminiscent, coincidentally, of Tanya Stephens' tune by the name of 'Do You Still Care', where you have a message built on different stories), but you do what you want.

7. 'Go' featuring Blvk H3ro

I also don't see 'Go' tapping too many people who come here seeking Reggae and Reggae all the time but, to its credit, it's even better than the title track in my opinion. This song, which features the helping hand of Blvk H3ro, is an inspirational trip which kind of grew on me a bit, especially during its middle portion. Khalia and Blvk H3ro deal with all the things they've grown through to reach their standings in life and how they still have to struggle to maintain it and to set a proper example for others who are to follow them. Again, I'd tell you to not just take what you hear on the surface before passing through 'Go'. It isn't a GREAT song, but there is DEFINITELY substance here and, should you give it a chance, you will find that substance damn hard to shake.

SO! I really hope you enjoy Khalia's music because if you hang around these parts (you have hideous taste in reading material, you're probably [you are] going to be hearing about her work quite consistently and you already have. This set gives a nice little bite of very impressive talent and one who we will surely be keeping an ear on in the future. "Stay True" is available right now on Ineffable Records

No comments:

Post a Comment