Saturday, October 12, 2024

Royals!

Okay so, I was working on a review, but because I'm old and slow as hell, it takes a bit longer these days. THANKFULLY, the Gods and Goddesses of Reggae music were nice enough to bless us with a couple of big, BIG tunes from two of our looooongtime favourites. So let's discuss talk about it because I got some stuff to do and I'm hungry.


'Resilience' by Queen Omega & Nature Makonnen [Kushite Organic Recording]

First up is a brand new tune coming from Trini Reggae Empress, Queen Omega, alongside Nature Makonnen (who produces on his Kushite Organic Recording imprint), 'Resilience'. Ohhh, what to say about this song?? 'Resilience' is.... kinda brilliant.

"Resilient to survive

Resilient to stay alive and wi nah give up the fight

Persistence is to try


Wi si that we're main target

WI SI OUR ROYAL BLOOD MAKE UP DI RED CARPET

Black people fi sell upon di black market

Anytime wi ready, tell dem wi go start it

I si wickedness dress up inna tie and jacket

And so called leaders inna big gun racket

Too much of melanin babies end up inna casket

Too much bodies wrap up inna white blanket

Like how di plantation burn

Watch di tables will turn 

Just how di phoenix return

Vatican will get turned

For di future generation - 

It is my concern"

The Queen absolutely SCORCHES this track and makes for probably one of the single best tunes that I've heard in 2024, following a 2023 campaign which saw her drop my choice as the year's single finest album altogether, "Freedom Legacy".


'Find Out' by Skinny Fabulous

On the complete opposite end of the spectrum from  Queen Omega's 'Resilience' is 'Find Out' by Skinny Fabulous. 'Find Out' is most certainly NOT brilliant. It is absolute foolishness... OF THE HIGHEST POSSIBLE CALIBER! 

"FUCK AROUND AND FIND OUT!"

Riding one of the most unexpected of punchlines that I have probably ever heard on a Soca tune (I was literally SHOCKED when I heard him say that. I had to bring it back to make sure I was hearing him correctly (and were there still any question remaining, I have since found an edited version). As long as Skinny Fabulous (and a handful of others) is making music, you can be assured that someone out there, somewhere, is pushing Soca forward. Pressing buttons and seeing where the line REALLY is (there is no line).'Find Out' is blissfully, addictive NONSENSE! 

1 comment:

  1. Much luv. Hadn’t been on the site for a minute and was hoping you had some new posts. Theirs few sites I visit frequently and yours is one. Give thanks for your continued works. Stay up family

    ReplyDelete