Friday, December 18, 2009

2010 Predictions

Yes! In two weeks’ time 2009 will be a thing of the past and we will be upon a potentially very crucial 2010 for Reggae music. The main problem prevailing through to the New Year figures to be the steady decline of Reggae sales and also the burgeoning Digital market and the genre’s ability (or inability) to thrive in it. There’re also a few of our artists facing legal trouble and, of course, the never ending search for the ‘next big thing’. However, there’re also a whole heap of nice things to get to and following a 2009 which is MUSICALLY SPEAKING is rounding out as one of the most amazing in recent memory in my opinion and definitely that figures to blend at least into the very beginning of 2010. And don’t even get me started on Soca! In either case, I submit, for your approval my various predictions of the year to come, 2010.

{note: Feel free to make fun of me when NONE of this stuff comes true, but it’s mostly my opinion and NOT of ‘inside information’}

Artists
  • There are several established artists who I feel are poised to have MONSTER years in 2010. Besides the Mavado’s, Kartel’s and Beenie’s of the world (who will have big years by virtue of just being themselves), you can expect similar years from Spragga Benz, Busy Signal, Mr. Vegas, Anthony B and DEFINITELY Bounty Killer, particularly should he even do well enough to even create controversy of who wins the expected clash at Sting between himself and Kartel (if he wins, and he might, his popularity will be at a height he hasn’t personally enjoyed in quite a few years). Also, the genre will suddenly be in need of a Dancehall-ish elder statesmen in the probable absence of you know who. . .
  • Young artists who figure to buss through include the likes of Bramma De Bomba! I’m thinking Dancehall as a whole is ripe for a TANGIBLE changing of the guard and thus, the next generation, whether ready or not, may be forced into a position where it has to stand up and fill the gaps to a degree and I haven’t seen a young Dancehall artist with Bramma’s overall potential in about a decade. You’ll also expect to hear quite a bit from the likes of Hezron, Teflon, Erup, of course I-Octane and a whole heap of others (like Marley Campbell & Stream). I don’t know if you’ve noticed this, but there’re some VERY strong young names in the game and that’s just in Jamaica. I also expect very strong material from the likes of Mr. Williamz, Gappy Ranks, Jah Nyne, Revalation and Maikal X (and if you don’t know who Einstein is, you really should find out).
  • So I’m expecting the artist of the year to be very contentious and I’m making my choice based largely on CONSISTENCY. Therefore, I’m thinking either Assassin (who I’m full on prepared to declare the single most talented Dancehall artist on earth right now) or the always steady and often SPECTACULAR Queen Ifrica to take top honours.

  • I’m also predicting relatively quiet years from the likes of I-Wayne (I don’t even miss him not putting out tunes consistently anymore), Sean Paul, Elephant Man and maybe even Jah Cure.
  • And I don’t foresee that ‘next big thing’ coming up on a major label in 2010, although if there is, I’d probably go with Ce’Cile.



Albums

There are so many things which were scheduled but didn’t get done in the ultra active 2009 which figure to come early in the year, getting things off to a very good start and then there’s also whatever comes on its own. I definitely don’t expect the type of WONDERFUL year that we’re wrapping up here, but I do foresee more than a few interesting things popping up throughout 2010.
  • I’m pretty confident going in with releases from two HEAVY hitters and they both even have titles. Expect to see both Shotta Culture and The Legend Returns from Spragga Benz and Beenie Man, respectively. Both of which DEFINITELY are going to lock Dancehall attention and in the case of both, quite a bit of international attention as well. I’d be willing to say first quarter for both, but something tells me that Beenie’s album may even slip out of the first half of the year altogether. I also wouldn’t at all to see Vegas have an album or Ce’Cile (especially considering the fact that her last one reportedly did quite well) or even (again, depending on the circumstances) Bounty Killer.
  • On the COMPLETELY opposite end: You can very well expect album debuts from the likes of I-Octane (can’t wait for that one), Baijie, Mr. Williamz (No Mr. Williamz! NOT COUSINS!), of course Spice and I am predicting that, now with the OFFICIAL Big Ship contract in hand, Bramma De Bomba will have an album in the new year and it will be a Japanese link (and you MIGHT even see a similar set for Laden also). And I predict that at least one of the pack of young female DJ’s like Tifa, Timberlee, D’Angel, Danielle etc. will have an album (most likely Timberlee or D’Angel).
  • Album of the year??? I think that honour will be hotly contested with the favourites being the aforementioned Spragga Benz, Etana [pictured], Busy Signal and maybe even Luciano (more on him in a minute). But I’m thinking that should Assassin, with his kind of hybridized style of Dancehall with EXTREMELY conscious subjectry, bring forth an album in the second half of the year (and I think he will), he’ll have as good of a chance as anyone to secure the position. I’m also allowing the possibility (like happened this year) of a few ’outside’ faces (and I’ll even predict a few of them in a minute) jumping in and making a run of it as well. And also look out for potentially HUGE releases from Midnite (and I mean MIDNITE!) and maybe even Bushman and definitely Lyricson. As well as Mark Wonder, Elijah Prophet, Warrior King, Prince Malachi (whose last album One Perfect Love was a bonafide modern classic) and even Freddie McGregor to push HEAVY projects as well.
  • Names like Jah Marnyah from out of Montserrat and Jah Mirikle from Lucia figure to replace upstarts Nereus Joseph and Lion D as pretty much ‘outsiders’ who scored HUGE on album releases in 2009, for next year. Also look for Leopard, Shanti Reblah and maybe even Brando to do the same.
  • Fans of Capleton, Khari Kill, First Born, I Wayne, ‘The Alliance’, Ding Dong (WHY???), Lady Saw, Macka Diamond, Junior Kelly, BABY CHAM, Prince Theo and of course, Yahadanai and Predator, can continue to hold your collective fucking breath, because it ain’t happening and I’m sorry.
  • As for my own personal favourites: while I’m not at all expecting another 700 album year from Lutan Fyah (although I wouldn’t mind if it was), I’m definitely expecting more than one and maybe even a piece for VP Records at some point during the year. Sizzla’s Crucial Times will take a minute, but it will eventually grow and become regarded as a big project. Queen Omega WILL release an album for someone at some point during the second half of the year and she won’t be alone from the Empresses because not only will Etana have a big project, but despite AWFUL record sales of her recent greatest hits project, so will Tanya Stephens. Also expect to see the usual faces like Chezidek and I find it incredibly hard to believe that Jah Mason and Turbulence will miss yet another year (and I can claim inside information on Jah Mason, he’ll be with us soon). Also, perhaps one of the best albums of the first half of the year will come straight from Gwada when Lady Sweety drops the much anticipated Ma Verite. OH! And Jahdan Blakkamoore’s album will definitely be in the running for best of the year.



The Random & The Ridiculous
  • Yep. Buju’s going to jail
  • Luciano is not.
  • Ninja Man will inevitably find some way to get himself locked up also. He always does.

  • It’s not next year, but I’m going with Bounty at Sting (“big man a big man, child is a child”).
  • Lyricson will have no problem with his album being released this time and will not act as if it doesn’t exist.
  • Spice’s album will surprise quite a few people, because it will be MUCH better than so many are thinking.
  • The world will get its first BIG taste of Mischu Laikah and they will LOVE it. Big debut album coming this year.
  • A COMBINATION FEATURING MAVADO AND BUSY SIGNAL (old school style) WILL REACH #1 at some point during the year.
  • Expect a big album at some point from Duane Stephenson.
  • Malika Madremana will release an album in November/December and it will be a 5 star album!
  • Hip-Hopper Shyne will take advantage of his situation and, while awaiting opportunity to return to the States to work, he will become BRIEFLY immersed in the Reggae community and begin doing tunes with Caribbean artists.
  • And speaking of Hip-Hop, Jr. Gong and Nas’ forthcoming Distant Relatives album will drop in the first quarter of the year and be a bonafide success, musically and commercially and I CANNOT FUCKING WAIT to hear the thing.


Soca

And I would like you to even LESS hold me to these, which is why I’m going to do it again at some point as I actually get a chance to hear the music.

  • Only the big stuff: The planets are aligning properly and the stars are in just the perfect position - Destra [pictured] will take her very first Road March title this year and then give birth to a beautiful and healthy child (she may actually do that first).
  • Everything is wide open this year and of course, when in doubt take Bunji. Mr. Faye-Ann will move one step closer to his Father-In-Law and take his fifth crown at Soca Monarch (AND I WILL BE THERE TO SEE!). Bunji may also play a role in Road March for the first time. And again, with the wide open nature of everything this year, it may very well be the spot for someone else to sneak up and do big things, so look out for Blaxx and SOMEONE not from TnT will place in the power category and yes, it will be Skinny Fucking Fabulous. And this may be the year that Patrice Roberts scores her first crown and takes Groovy.

  • Speaking of Skinny, he will score the trifecta at home and take Vincy Monarch again (if he competes) (I’ll be there too) and a repeat figures to be in the cards for Mr. Killa as well in Grenada (might even be there). Failing to three-peat will be Ricky T in Lucia (won’t be there) as he will be (just as he was this year unofficially) unseated by the devastating Isla Man.

  • Machel Montano will have HUGE season redeeming himself from this year’s uneven bit, as evident by the recent ridiculousness featuring Skinny Fabulous. And both Machel AND Skinny will have big albums next year.
  • And speaking of albums - Alison Hinds. Yep!

2 comments:

  1. I'm sure I will never make fun of the person with the best blog on the planet....

    Speaking of Jah Mason. 2009 hasn't been totally quiet. "Jah Mason Meets Jah Warrior In Dub" has been released digitally a few places (itunes, play), so is it "Keep Ya Head Up" which finally will see the light of day after "only" 1 1/2 year on the shelf?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice one Fuzzfolk. I actually have the Dub album and just forgot about it. I forget the name of it but the album is the Rastar album, I think that is the name of it actually.

    And always give thanks for the kind words yeah.
    Bless, everytime

    ReplyDelete