Thursday, February 18, 2010

Coming Soon Vol. 12

Vybz Kartel - Pon Di Gaza 2.0 [Tads Records]

First up is by far the (I like how I say “by far” despite not even knowing what the hell I’m about to talk about) most high powered and profiled up coming release, the ridiculous Pon Di Gaza 2.0 from Vybz Kartel. I call it ridiculous, personal tastes notwithstanding, because it comes as a double disc release and features a whopping FORTY-SIX tracks between two CD’s apparently. The initial album came (and went) as a digital only release from Kartel last year and reportedly had absolutely atrocious sales and while it definitely figures to sell better as an actual physical release, I was still surprised that Tads picked it up. The question now becomes, given Tads normal style, is whether or not the album will be edited to any degree. Hopefully not and the ‘Parental Advisory’ is a good sign (as is the naming of the tune ‘Virginity’ as ‘Virginity’ as opposed to the heinous ‘Versatility’ which ran on the digital version). Regardless, you know how I’m feeling about this one (review most certainly NOT forthcoming), but expect it to be a pretty BIG deal and maybe even a hit.

Potential Rating: 2.5/5
Releases on February 26


Ragga Ragga Ragga 2010 [Greensleeves Records]



Speaking of Kartel, as expected, the Portmore lyrics wizard is playing a healthy role in the tracklist for the up coming latest edition of the Ragga Ragga Ragga series from Greensleeves, as he features on no less than four of the album’s eighteen tracks. Joining Kartel are the usual cast of characters such as Bounty Killer (twice), Mavado (thrice) and Erup. Also, series newcomers like Twins of Twins (three times) (in a row), Gyptian, I-OCTANE, DI GENIUS (taking aim at Kartel no less) and the exploding UK sensation Gappy Ranks. Last year’s edition was better than I thought it would be, so I just might take a chance on this year’s edition (even though I’m looking at the tracklist and know most of the tunes already) and maybe you should do the same.

Releases on March 22-23
Potential Rating: 3.5/5


Chimney Records Presents [VP Records]

Why not just keep it going? This VERY interesting release from VP Records also features four efforts from Vybz Kartel, but I don’t think musically he’s going to be the focal point on the album. Chimney Records has quietly been stocking some very strong (predominately hardcore) Dancehall over the past three years or so and this has to be considered a major coup for them to have VP just kind of out of the blue give them a very random showcase like Chimney Records Presents. I would assume that it means that they’ve come to some type of distribution/publishing agreement (like they did with the next entry on this feature) and in doing so, fans will get a very healthy taste of younger talents such as Chimney’s own T’Nez, Flexx, Ryno, Laden and the SCATHING [Ein]stein and the INFINITELY WICKED Bramma. This one, even though it isn’t going to WOW me by any stretch of the word, I’m very happy to see releasing and hopefully it is a union which will continue.

Releases on February 22-23
Potential Rating: 3.75/5


Chukki Starr - Most Wanted [Greensleeves Records]



It wasn’t that long ago at all when Chukki Starr represented a next step in the evolution of UK Reggae music and did so in a very big way. Now, we look up and see the likes of Gappy Ranks and Mr. Williamz breaking out and the Starr has gotten lost in the shuffle a bit from the outside looking in, but even now, when you pick up an old tune from the artist you hear IMMEDIATELY his insanely high skill levels. Chukki Starr, very quietly, is STILL one of my favourite artists and although I think it’s been quite awhile since he’s reached with a new album (I can’t even think what it is off the top of my head), I was so happy to see that he had signed a publishing deal with Greensleeves a few weeks back and they wasted no time in getting a release from the artist out there. Starr’s edition of Most Wanted features some of his biggest and best material to date (duh), including ‘Mark Of The Beast’, ‘THE ALMIGHTY ONE’, ‘Hard Fi Smile’ and my own personal favourite, the MASSIVE ‘Ghetto Youth’s Livity’, as well as other big choices. Definitely I’ll be checking this one and hopefully a brand spanking new album is in the works.

Releases on February 22-23
Potential Rating: 4.75/5


Caribbean Gospel Book 3 [VP Records]

This one certainly isn’t for my own benefit as I’m not much for Gospel music in even the semi-traditional sense, but I KNOW very well that music like this has a very healthy following and I expect the latest installment of this rare series (#2 was released in 2006 with #1 appearing a half decade earlier) to do quite well actually. Fans of Caribbean Gospel and Gospel in general (because listening to the clips, it seems as if several of the tunes have no glaring Caribbean overtones in terms of vibes and sound) will be pleased to see names like Marvia Providence (twice), Pam Hall, The Grace Thrillers, Carlene Davis, Fiona and a double serving of Sanchez filling up the tracklist on Caribbean Gospel Book 3.

Releases on March 8-9


Busy Signal - One More Night/Picante [VP Records]



I THINK this is the last piece from the VP/Greensleeves camp and it is potentially very important. Busy Signal has been on an absolute roll as of late, scoring hit after hit with some of the STRANGEST sounding music of his entire career and VP has stacked together two of them for your approval, ‘One More Night’ and ‘Picante’. The tunes are what they are (and ‘One More Night’ has WELL grown on me), but I mention it because this kind of random digital EP style of releasing has suddenly become one of VP’s favourite promotional vehicles and they are ALWAYS followed by an album which means that Busy’s forthcoming album D.O.B. cannot possibly be too far off!

Releases on March 1-2
Potential Rating: 4/5


Jahmings Maccow - "I" [Letmegoo Records]

I didn’t expect to be hearing from the Anguilla born Jahmings Maccow so quickly following his album Man Redemption that I reviewed last year, but I’m not complaining at all about that. Maccow returns with a very solid EP, the curiously titled "I". The piece includes three tunes, ‘Horizon Train’, ‘Passing Through’ and the title track which sound very nice (especially the first one) and I might even write a little about this release in the future as well. The sound is his typical HEAVY vibes with perhaps a bit more bluesy type of sound mixed in to the lot. Still, can’t wait to get a hold off (to that nice lady who emailed me from his label the first time around, Ehhh-ehmm!).

Releases on February 28
Potential Rating: 4/5


NBee - Naturally Blessed [Subionic Records]



Probably the first even somewhat big French Caribbean Reggae release of 2010 is Naturally Blessed from the so named NBee from out of Gwada. I’ve actually heard the name a bit, here and there, although I couldn’t name you a tune of his, so I was somewhat surprised to see a full blown album coming on an international scale and I was even more surprised to learn that guest starring on the album were the likes of Tiwony, Luciano, Fambo and Chino. Apparently quite a bit of this album was recorded in Jamaica and Nbee has invested quite a bit in his obvious talents in taking such a chance and doing so and listeners should also appreciate the move. This one isn’t blowing me away currently as much as I may have liked, but it also has a very ‘wide’ sound to it, so I wouldn’t at all be surprised to see it growing on me at some point.

Releases on February 19
Potential Rating: 3.5/5


Naptali - Long Journey [Oneness Records]

I couldn’t exactly recall if I had actually told the people about this potentially outstanding release (hmmmmmm) from Naptali and Oneness Records, Long Journey. The coming of Fantastic Friday meant a lot more to me than just Monarch and the lightshow that ensued, it also meant a one month countdown to what I FULLY expect will be a contender for album of the year and I CANNOT FUCKING WAIT for Naptali to prove me correct.

Releases on March 12
Potential Rating: 5/5


Haiti Vodou: The Voodoo Drums of Haiti [Red Eye Music]

Lastly is something which caught my attention very nicely, Haiti Vodou which is simply an album full (fifteen tracks) of captivating Haitian drumming and chanting at times. This is the type of an album I could spend a day or two listening to and just have a GREAT time (this thing could play in my house for a weekend on the highest volume and I wouldn’t give a damn) with the crazy vibes going on. Also, of course you look at the cover and see that “100% OF PROFITS GO TO EARTHQUAKE DISASTER RELIEF CHARITIES IN HAITI”, so your money goes to a good place and I’m sure if it’s successful that ‘Red Eye Music’ (whoever they are) wouldn’t have much of a problem putting together a sequel either.

Releases on March 1-2
Potential Rating: 5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment