Monday, February 22, 2010

Completely Random Thoughts Vol. 7: Do You Know What Today Izzzzzzzz

One year.

As the days have gone by and I’ve grown more and more addicted to this wonderful, wonderful place, I have to admit that I am less surprised that I’ve managed to make it a full year at this point. I was going to do this post and try to over-analyze (in typical Achis fashion) (yes, I did just call myself Achis) (I’m allowed to do that once) (dammit!) how the year has been and go into STATISTICS, with charts and shit like that, but instead, I’d like to talk on the prevailing sentiment that I’m feeling at this very moment.

I’m thankful.

I just feel thankful and I’m drawn in that direction now due to a most strange occurrence on which I will not elaborate (so as to not embarrass this self proclaimed “big fan”) (so “big” that she didn’t even know I was back to posting) (biggup Lana every time, you know I joke!) and also in the most general sense. Had you told me a year ago that I would still be keeping this up, I would have probably been surprised then, but definitely pleased and had you told me that I would have made as many beautiful contacts that I have, I would have definitely been pleased. So what am I thankful for?

  • I now have very consistent contacts with what I feel are the two biggest Reggae COMPANIES (of any type) in the world, those being VP Records and of course the beautiful people at Zojak Worldwide and whoever number three is, I’m sure they probably like me as well.
  • I actually think that I’m becoming a better writer. That was kind of an indirect goal when I began and I supposed that if I could get it to the post where I actually had something even remotely decent to post EVERYDAY (and I have), that I would become quite the writer and from a personal standpoint, I’m very satisfied. And hopefully, should I continue to progress along this rate, I can finally embark on another idea of mine in the next year or two.
  • I’m thankful for the people who read this thing, like I post it, EVERYDAY. I get so many emails from people who have questions, but they (especially if it’s their first time linking me) find a way to throw in the fact that they check this place before the go to sleep or right when they wake up and usually enjoy what they find. THANK YOU!
  • I’m grateful that I’ve met WAY more nice and decent people than I have JACKASSES (actually, in terms of either consistency, or just one big ass repulsive moment, I’ve only come into contact with one fucked up, nasty and GREEDY person) (of course he was a label owner). I’m not the most well put together of individuals and while I do handle criticism and suggestions excellently, I’m terrible with foul attitudes and had I encountered more foul attitudes than GREAT, I would have certainly found something else to do by now.
  • I’m thankful for LIKEMINDED PEOPLE. I don’t mean people who always agree with may tastes (there exists no such person) (not even me), but there is a magical moment which occurs when I find myself heavily pushing some ‘obscure’ artist or album and I’ll get a message from someone who’ll say something along the lines of “Yow! I thought I was the only one who liked that Artist!” THANK YOU!

  • I’m thankful for dissenters. I have a few consistent critics of my own and I have to say that the two or three that I have (biggup Joseph and Neo), are VERY good. They don’t talk shit at me because I had a typo or because I said some album released in 1988 when it was really 1989, but they (USUALLY) have big and beautiful and salient points which, even if I don’t ultimately concur, definitely give me a reason to think. So Thank you too (just not as much).
  • I’m thankful that I’m actually helping push the music: “Achis, I saw you going mad over that album and I had to check it out. I listened to the clips and I loved it so I picked it up”. The ultimate goal here is to promote the music and while I’ll never drive someone platinum, even just convincing some one person to buy an album is a very nice thing.
  • I’m thankful for Ce’Cile! Not just Ce’Cile herself, but what she represents. If you jump around my comments sections, you see Ce’Cile, you see Computer Paul, Eno Stafford, Garsha Blacks, some dude from Itation and who knows who else. And that’s just on the comments sections. There’re dozens of other ’industry people’ (like Sherkhan) who I’ve heard from through emails and other means and still do very consistently . (But particularly Ce’Cile. Look at thos. . . Her. I mean SERIOUSLY! I’m also thankful for the fact that she couldn’t see me running down my hallway screaming when she commented like a 14 year old boy and I’m FAR more thankful that my Wife didn’t see me either)
  • And lastly, I’m just thankful for the music. This place (and UnitedReggae.com) has given me access (sometimes access RIDICULOUSLY in advance) of stuff that I wouldn’t have haunting the vacant halls of Amazon. Some of it is absolutely gorgeous vibes and it is my absolute honour to be able to discuss this with you beautiful and wonderful people.
Keep Reading! {especially tomorrow, first Five Star album of 2010}

BALANCE
RasAchis


2 comments: