Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Coming Soon Vol. 15

{Note: This was supposed to be an edition of 'Check It' before I realized that there wasn't enough stuff to "check". Not nearly as much as was coming soon and thus, I changed it. I didn't rewrite the bit I had already done, however. So if it is poorly written (and it is), just ignore it and I'll do a Check It next week, even it it's terrible (and it will be)}

Coming Soon

Forward Ever - Backward Never [Project Groundation/Zojak Worldwide]

The biggest piece I’m going to tell you about this week is definitely this new very ambitious double release from DJ Child & Project Groundation (and the Zion I Kings collective) and brought to you digitally by Zojak Worldwide (it’s about time that unit has made its way to Zojak, isn’t it). Forward Ever - Backward Never is essentially two different compilations (not mixtapes, at least not that I can tell), with the typical remixed flare you’ve come to expect from PGM. There’re also quite a few Hip-Hop faces such as M1 and K’Naan who have become ‘regulars’ of sorts for DJ Child. Of course that isn’t necessarily my favourite thing in the world, but for me there’re the likes of Lutan Fyah (multiple times) (“crush dem! Way beyond reparation!”), Sizzla, NiyoRah, Jahdan, EXCELLENT efforts from both Norris Man and Batch (‘Firm Meds’ & the CLASSIC (for me) ‘Jah Law’, respectively) and others (like Lady Passion and Messenjah Selah). The vibes here are kind of dark and it is a step away from what you’ve come to expect from PGM releases in my opinion, in terms of not being a mixtape and of course the presentation in general. They have an excellent following, very vocal fans, who I’m sure are going to be impressed by this release which may, ever so quietly, be one of the more popular releases of the year for Reggae music. Period.

Potential Rating: 4.5/5
Releases the week of April 13


Young Chang MC - En Forme [Very Music]

I’ve never been the largest fan of Young Chang MC’s, but rolling in the same Genesiz camp as the INSANELY WICKED Saïk and the extraterrestrial Sam X, his is a name which I run into quite often. Well he’s now pushing his latest album En Forme [In Shape] and because of that, this release too, is a big deal here. I was somewhat disappointed not to see more of the Genesiz boys on the tune (although Reyel Ay is on board on the tune ‘Street Love’], but I’m still somewhat looking forward to it. I also should remark that just listening through the clips, I’m hearing quite a bit of Kartel-ish type of moody vibes, but still it remains to be seen (as does the tune ‘Ki Bitin’ which sounds potentially WICKED). I thought 2010 would be a big year for the Genesiz boys and apparently Chang has fired the first shot and we’re definitely hoping the rest of the mighty Gwada pack follows suit.

Potential Rating: 4/5
Releases on April 11


Belt Riddim [GT Muzik/Zojak Worldwide]

GT Taylor is back with his latest riddim, the very NICE Belt Riddim. This sublime piece is just one cool ass one drop and of course that isn’t enough to sell something on its own (unless your name is Tuff Lion), but GT taps some very interesting talents to voice the riddim also which is key. The biggest name here is probably ‘The Living Fire’, Chuck Fenda who chimes in with ‘Warn Dem’. Joining ‘The Poor People’s Defender’ is the venerable Admiral Tibet (‘Reggae Music’), Live Way (with the excellent ‘Be Myself’), future star I-Octane (‘Greediness’) and another future star in Kali Blaxx who tops the riddim to my opinion (with the outstanding ‘Why U Stay’ (“mi luv mi Mother like crazy, mi nah abuse no lady. Mi love mi Sisters like crazy, mi nah abuse no lady”). My readers should also be well familiar with the tune ‘Give Jah The Praise’ from the Genuine album from Bescenta (and isn’t that cover just cool as hell).

Potential Rating: 4/5
Releases the week of April 6


Ghost Singles [Digital Link International/Zojak Worldwide]


Fans of incredibly strange singers everyone will be able to rejoice soon because we have this piece to look at now. Ghost has never been a favourite of mine, but I do have to admit that he has some of the most dedicated fans in the entire scope of Dancehall. That being said, I’m fully expecting this very random collection of three singles (‘Breathless’, ‘I’m Yours’ and ‘The Girl Is Mine’) to do fairly well and it’s not exactly horrible either. What you have here is, ostensibly, three more sensible like tunes and very laid back efforts and I don’t hate it, which is a pretty good endorsement coming from me when it comes to Ghost. As for his fans, you’ll LOOOOOOOOVE this, I’m sure.

Potential Rating: 3/5
Releases the week of April 6


420 Mix [Zojak Worldwide]


Of course, I’m not the biggest mixtape head in the world and I tend to keep them before they grow legs and walk away from me, but this one caught my attention for a few reasons. First of all it seems that Zojak Worldwide, a distributor of music, is . . . Distributing its own music. 420 Mix is credited as their very own release and that may be a first. Second of all, all the tunes here are of a general theme (and if you don’t know what that theme is, please, please seek help), which is interesting in and of itself. It’s also not the best mixed of mixtapes either and it is sans (at least through as much as I’ve heard), the general shenanigans which go along with mixtapes (like random ass sirens and verses stopping for nonsense). So maybe you can kind of consider this one a sampler with obviously a variety of Zojak clients having the work which make up this release, which I don’t have a problem with at all and it’s kind of growing on me actually. And not that I'm surprised at all, you look at that damn lineup and you won't have to wonder too hard why I might like it.

Potential Rating: 4/5
Releases the week of April 6


Coming Soon
Genesis Riddim [Daseca]


Okay so, the first piece this week is arguably a fairly big deal as the Daseca boys release the very ambitious Genesis Riddim unto the masses. The riddim had much ballyhoo (yes, I just said ballyhoo) surrounding it, largely because the Daseca boys took it in a most unusual direction - Not leaking any of it at all prior to the release to the internet and (I THINK) debuting it on American terrestrial radio as well. Such a background definitely gives this one more interest than the usual buzz surrounding a ‘new Daseca riddim’, but . . . I don’t really like it to be frank. It’s okay, but the kind of pseudo sonic sound surrounding it doesn’t really appeal to me very much. Still, with Daseca regulars Serani, Bugle and Raine Seville being joined by the likes of Mavado (another regular basically), Aidonia and Charly Black, this one is already gaining crazy attention and you might very well enjoy it also and apparently it‘s already doing quite well, it just isn’t much for me.

Jimmy Cliff - You Can Get It If You Really Want It [Island Def Jam]

I remember reading a story from last year about Island Def Jam issuing and reissuing quite a bit of its Reggae catalogue and the ’cornerstone’ of the movement would be Bob Marley’s album B Is For Bob, which was released in June-July and featured some slight mixes of Marley tunes and was apparently commercially successful and was received decently (it is a Bob Marley album, after all). Well apparently the legendary Jimmy Cliff also gets to ride that wave in digital form with You Can Get It If You Really Want It, which is essentially a six tracked (digital) compilation of some of the finest and most well known tunes of his career. This one is mainly for the newer heads who just haven’t taken the time to REALLY look up Jimmy Cliff. All the tunes (‘The Harder They Come’, ‘Sitting In Limbo’, ‘Struggling Man’, ‘Wild World’, ‘You Can Get It If You Really Want It’ and ‘The Bigger They Are The Harder They Fall’) appear to be in their original form and they’re all certified classics.

Teacha Dee & Determine - What I Pray [TenFloor Records]

Despite the fact that I have more to tell you about (I’m sleepy!), coming last this week is just a BIG TUNE. Simple and flat like that, it’s a big tune. Very strong upstart Teacha Dee links up with the ever present Determine who can be absolutely devastating when in a strong form and ‘What I Pray’ finds him in just that, a very strong form and this tune is EXCELLENT. I’ve been seeing a lot of Teacha releases coming through recently, I don’t know if he’s priming for an album or what, but if/when that happens, if this tune isn’t the strongest piece on said album, then that album will be AMAZING. Trust me.

No comments:

Post a Comment