Monday, April 26, 2010

Coming Soon Vol. 16

Coming Soon
Smiley - Lively Road EP [Love & Unity Music]


Okay, first up this week is definitely a pretty big deal in my eyes as up and coming WICKED Dutchie artist Smiley releases his very first EP to my knowledge, Lively Road. I’ve definitely been high on Smiley as an artist for the better part of the last year and then some, from since the Aruba born chanter/singer released ‘Dem A Wonder’, a combination alongside longtime Jamaican chanter, Junior Kelly. That tune is present on this release, as is ‘Distance’, another big previously released singles (which had one of the best videos of 2009) and five other tunes I’m well looking forward to hearing, especially the title track, ‘Big Money Bag’ and ‘Da Weed’. Still there’s no word on when Smiley might release an official long player, hopefully we’ll see it later this year, but definitely Lively Road is going to intensify the desire for such a release and frankly I’m having a hard time waiting to get my hands on either at this point.

Releases on May 21
Potential Rating: 4.5/5

{note: Check out Smiley’s wicked new website also}

Diwali: Gold Edition [Greensleeves Records]




I actually went back to see if we were approaching some great anniversary or something like that and although I didn’t discover anything, we just may be. In either case, almost eight years to the day after the release of the original Diwali, Greensleeves (now much different aren’t they?) gives the world the Diwali: Gold Edition. First, I’ll address the changes . . . well there’re only two. Arguably the two most popular tunes on the entire riddim, Sean Paul’s quaking ‘Get Busy’, and ‘Uh Ohh’ (yeah, I know that’s not the actual title, but that’s how you know it, isn’t it???) by Lumidee (who I haven’t heard from since), were absent from the original release and they’re now present and certainly adding to the attraction of this piece (not surprisingly ‘Dirty Kuffar’ missed out on the re-release) (and neither did ‘Love Is Wicked’ by Brick & Lace now that I think of it). Now, all of that being said, if you haven’t experienced this thing, it’s arguably one of the greatest modern Dancehall riddims of all time. You can call it gimmicky if you like, but in response to that, I’ll tell you to QUIETLY place the thing on a radio in any room full of people and even if they can barely hear it, you will see them start to rock, just a little. Turn it way up and the animals in the room will join them and so will the plants. This thing was crazy and even though a great deal of these tunes are still going to be VERY familiar to heavy fans, I DON’T GIVE A SHIT! I loved this thing and I have no problem with a ‘sequel’ of sorts to one of the greatest riddim albums of all time. Period.

Releases on May 25
Potential Rating: 5/5

Soul Riddim Selection [Oneness Records]

Speaking of riddim albums - My new favourite label, the Germany based Oneness Records, is releasing a potentially very fine shot from their catalogues to the masses, the Soul Riddim Selection. Of course, if you at all pay attention to what the hell I say, then you should recognize the riddim itself from Naptali’s DAMAGING debut album Long Journey, where it featured on the tune ‘Grandma’ (which also featured Arofat alongside Naptali). And joining Naptali is a very nice group of ‘supporting acts’, a couple of whom are definitely household names in Reggae. Names like Capleton, Luciano, Lutan Fyah and Natural Black alongside Mark Wonder should definitely ring a bell to most heavy fans (and I cannot wait to hear Black and Wonder together on the tune ‘As The World Turns’). Also I’m well looking forward to hearing efforts from the likes of Singing U, Peter Tosh’s nephew Edge Michael (who I’m paying more and more attention to these days) and the soulful Raymond Wright. More still, if you haven’t caught on yet to the very promising ‘funky comfort’ herself, Sara Lugo, one of her finest tunes to date, ‘Familiar Stranger’ also rides the Soul Riddim and is present on the album. Definitely you can expect a review for this one at some point.

Releases on May 14
Potential Rating: 4.5/5

Roger Robin - Justice [Spiderman Records/VP Records]

Well respected UK veteran singer Roger Robin is bringing forth a new album for Spiderman Records (which I think may have something to do with Spider Ranks who has produced for Robin in the past), Justice. Robin is definitely an example of an artist who I certainly need to pay more attention to and just enjoy more (probably a nice time to start, right here), because he makes a very delightful type of music. It’s not only kind of like the stereotypical UK Lover’s Rock (biggup Ras Fury), he also mixes in some social things (as evidenced by the name of this album) and some other flavours as well. He also happens to be quite popular (VP is apparently only distributing this album but they’ve also released more than one Roger Robin album in the past). Listening through the clips on this one, I’m very impressed by what I’m hearing (which is what I expected) and I’m getting a little excited about hearing the full things, although like I said, I don’t pay Roger Robin his ‘just due’, I think I’m going to change that here and you MIGHT be able to expect a review for this one down the line as well.

Releases on May 4
Potential Rating: 4.75/5


Joe Gibbs 12” Reggae Discomix Showcase Vols. 4 & 5 [17 North Parade]

And lastly this week - VP Records’ reissue/classic label, 17 N. Parade, continues to impress (I suppose you can do just that when you pretty much own every song ever made in history) with their releases and although these two aren’t going to be the jewels of their catalogue to date in my opinion, given the rarity of some of this material, I imagine that collectors worldwide are going to be quite eager to get their paws on some of these pieces on CD form. Names like Naggo Morri, Snuffy & Wally (with the WICKED ‘Dreader Mafia’), Joe Tex & U-Black, U-Mike, Icho Candy, Delroy Melody, Wade Brammer, Earth & Stone and a whole heap of others present between these two discs certainly aren’t ‘household names’ at this point, but they’re just as certainly going to be absolute GOLD for the collectors out there. And just in case that isn’t your role, I’m sure you won’t mind dealing with the likes of Dennis Brown, Sylford Walker, Welton Irie, Derrick Lara, George Nooks and Trinity who also fill the twenty two tracks (which are largely double tracks with each being two completely different songs on the same number (thus the title - 12”) from the legendary and immortal Joe Gibbs & Errol ‘ET’ Thompson.

Releases on May 4
Potential Rating: 5/5

In Stores Now
Yeahman’C - Le Bon [Everweed]


I mentioned this one (kind of), a little while ago because Yeahman’C had released Trop Forte, which was seemingly an EP in promotion of his forthcoming album. Well, that album Le Bon has now been released and mysteriously, Trop Forte is nowhere to be found! None of the three tunes which comprised the EP are anywhere to be found including, maddeningly, ‘Les Enfants Du Soleil’ alongside Tiwony on the final album (I guess that’s a way to get people to buy the EP still, but I have the feeling that a ‘bonus version’ of the album is forthcoming if it isn’t available already or on the actual CD they‘ll have all the tunes). Still, that certainly shouldn’t dissuade you from picking this piece up because from listening through the clips, what is actually here is quite good to be honest. Yeahman’C is a very talented artist and has been for quite awhile. There is a very vibrant sounding tune on this album, ‘Sans Cesse’, which I remember from a few years back so well because it was one of the other few tunes that I recall riding the IMPERIAL riddim which is best known as having backed Isasha’s ridiculous tune ‘Don’t You Know’. There’re also a few others I have my eye on as well, as you should also (and upon further research, the actual flyer for the album says that it has 19 tunes and the digital has 16, plus, of course, the 3 from the EP, so when you pick this one up digitally, you might want to get both the album and the EP) to have a listen to one of the strongest names from out of Madinina.

Teflon - Uncrowned [Black Ice Records/Yard A Love]



Ridiculously quietly (and frustratingly), Teflon released what amounts to his third album to date, Uncrowned, last week with absolutely no fanfare or publicity whatsoever to my knowledge. The main critique I had of his two previous albums, Motherless Child and Let Jah Be Praised - That they didn’t quite realize the range of talents that the St. Mary native actually has and only showed one side for the most part (still, it is definitely worth saying that both were pretty good actually). What wasn’t covered between the two - The fact Teflon has a much more fiery side is definitely presented well on the Uncrowned album with production coming from a range of producers from Stephen to Kemar McGregor. Also included is ‘Can’t Sell Me Out’, a tune certain to grab attention because it just so happens to feature Teflon alongside one of his idols, the legendary Sizzla Kalonji (with whom he has been touring I believe). The tune from last year was very done and it certainly highlights what is shaping up to be quite an impressive release and you can DEFINITELY expect to see a review on this one and probably sooner rather than later.

Sahra Indio - Marijuana Music EP [Olumeye Records]

I do a review for her last album Change and lo and behold she pushes a new product about a month later AND I get an email from her last night (two nights ago by the time you read this). Hawaiian Herb Queen, Sahra Indio, has a new five track EP set by the name of Marijuana Music and it fulfills on exactly what you think it does. The AWARD WINNING HERBALIST offers four tunes with which her fans will probably be familiar and (according to the cover) a new tune in ‘Spiritual Connection’ which apparently rides the Nylon Riddim. Apparently this type of song is Indio’s fortĂ©, so you can expect some high level material almost guaranteed and it was so nice getting a ‘thank you’ note from Sahra Indio as well I have to say. So big her up and check out her brand new EP.

Kush-I - Solid Ground [Glover Media/Zojak Worldwide]

I don’t know very much at all about [Ras] Kush-I, but I thought that I’d go ahead and mention his album Solid Ground (which I believe is his first), based on the simple fact that it is just absolutely delightful. Not groundbreaking and certainly not the very best thing I’ve ever heard in my entire life (not even close), but just so NICE and sounding so nice and upful as well. I don’t quite want to make the album or the artist out to be a ‘one-trick pony’ either because there’re several different vibes throughout and it is a very colourful album, however, what I will say is that if you are in need for a lift of sorts of the mental variety, then you should definitely seek out this album which is every bit as SOLID (and mature) as the title would have you believe.

Karmasutra Riddim [Loud Disturbance/Zojak Worldwide]


Loud Disturbance has definitely assembled a very interesting cast of artists for its Karmasutra Riddim from early this year. The high-powered piece featured such interesting names in total that it’ll catch your eye just on that alone. Particularly of interest was the fact that it drew on the suddenly very active Mega Banton (in my opinion one of the most talented Dancehall artists EVER), the suddenly resurrected Gabriel and even Hawkeye (who I don’t like) alongside the far more expected Beenie’s, Busy’s and Angels of the world. The riddim itself was very uptempo, but it wasn’t very far out of the scope of Dancehall in my opinion - An unfortunately routine occurrence these days.

Peter Tosh - Vampire featuring Ky-Enie [Platinum Camp Productions]

And lastly this week (hopefully) is Ky-Enie remaking one of the greatest tunes of all time, Peter Tosh’s EPIC ‘Vampire’ with his new vocals alongside those of the legendary Red X. Ky-Enie’s additions are decent enough and ultimately harmless I suppose, but you know this tune is a big deal, so you may want to check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment