Monday, June 7, 2010

The Battle Lines Have Been Drawn

Fireman Hooper


Problem Child


Skinny Fabulous






Okay so, I don't know what's going on here exactly, but apparently all the big artists who should be vying for St. Vincy Soca Monard 2010 have all dropped their prospective tunes, 2-Time consecutive defending King Skinny Fabulous, Reigning Road March Champion Problem Child and 723 times SVG Soca Monarch Fireman Hooper.

Fireman Hooper's tune, 'Battlefield' (incidentally), kind of seems like it's missing something, but his songs always seem like that to me and the man almost always catches magic, so I'm expecting the same this year. It's kind of cluttered and the energy goes a bit down in the verses at times, but like I said, I'm sure he'll make it work.

Problem Child's song, 'Possessed', is absolutely intoxicating and even though I don't think it's as strong as his 2009 madness ('Madhouse'), I wasn't as most certainly CONVINCED about that one when I first heard it either and I'm sure this one is about to grow on me like crazy!

And as for Skinny Fabulous . . . I mean there're three different damn songs the man could choose and I put them in order of which I thought was most likely. The first (I HOPE) is 'Boom Blast' which is HUGE! It's more of the head badness, beast freeing type of vibes and I think it would be perfect.

But 'Nah Sell Out' is probably a better song! The downright MOODY piece has the vibes, it has melodies and I could see people being full on locked away in the mental health facilities due to its effects (and I may be one of them).

And then there's 'Duracell', which - Yeah, it took me awhile to even kind of/sort of enjoy this one and I'm still not in love with it (because of that ridiculous beach fuckup of a riddim), but it's growing.

So whichever he chooses, it'll be flames for sure.
DAMN!

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to find a window to push my head through.

And love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment