Saturday, June 19, 2010

Completely Random Thoughts 14: The Randomization of The Entire Generation

So yeah. I wasn’t going to write today at all actually and just take a Saturday off (and you know that by “Saturday”, I mean Friday, because that’s what I do) and I’m also doing a “Stuff” post on Monday, but I figured there were a few things that were going on that I thought were interesting enough to discuss and then I found even more. So enjoy (or don’t, I don’t really care).

Okay, first things first (duh) (is the first thing ever not first? And if it isn’t, then is it still actually the first thing???) - The World Cup. So far, although I’m reading the opinion of people thinking that the scoring is a bit shallow, I’m absolutely enjoying the competition a great deal. Like I said, Football stands with a few other sports as something that I can watch without any serious rooting interest in at all. Still, of course everyone picks their favourite teams at WC time and I’m no different and currently my three teams, The Netherlands, Nigeria and the US collectively have one victory amongst them. The US has two ties and should they beat Algeria whenever the hell they play them, they’ll be through the group stage. Nigeria has two defeats now and are most certainly done now, even if they should beat South Korea (and they probably won’t). Holland, however, has a victory and they play in a few hours again against Japan who they should beat as well.

On top of that, a look at the Afrikan teams and, by my count (which is almost certainly wrong), only Ghana, out of six teams, currently has a victory and they should get another in a few hours as well when they play against Australia (and hell, I’m going to go ahead and say they’ll beat Germany after that as well).

Also, today (Friday) we watched Algeria play England and . . . Yeah, sorry to my English readers, but I’m happy that they’re not doing well and I’m pretty happy France isn’t either (even though France has an excellent player on their team, Florent Malouda, from out of Guyane, so big him up, but I think they‘re done). Tomorrow (today for you), the Dutchies play as do both Ghana and Cameroun, so - Fun Times and enjoy (and this time I do care if you do). OH! And I do so much enjoy Diego Maradona jumping around and looking to find someone to hug every time his team scores. And my favourite to take the entire thing, Spain, lost so yeah.

And again, I am so much enjoying watching the games and I hope you are as well.

And before I get to the music like stuff, I did actually finally manage to see “Avatar” (biggup my Wife) and while certainly visually absolutely stunning and captivating - It was entirely too involved. I don’t like movies where I have to . . . Actually pay attention, you know? Oh and I also saw a film called “Shutter Island” starring Leonardo DiCaprio (I hope that’s how you spell his name because I am not even going to check), which was decent and I didn’t have to pay too much attention because I figured out what was going on roughly 2 minutes into the film.

Actual Music Related Stuff
Okay. Three things which should interest the hell out of you. The first is that the website of the best Roots Reggae producer on earth, Kemar ‘Flava’ McGregor (pictured), is back online. It was apparently offline for a few days and it’s back up now (hopefully he now goes ahead and kicks on the Ustream again), so head right over and pick up some niceness. New Ginjah album, new Gyptian album, new Etana & Luciano tune, new T. Moore EP and pretty much every riddim/album the man has ever made, you just don’t need anymore than this at this point.

Secondly is a guy who I’ve never heard of by the name of Ephraim Juda. I don’t know much (anything) about this guy, but in terms of German Reggae these days, apparently intelligence is something which is equated to how close you can get to the ANGELIC Sara Lugo! And if that’s the case then Juda has done a pretty good job with the tune ‘Too Fast’, from his forthcoming album, ”Coming Home”, which apparently releases next Friday. The tune sounds pretty nice and I’m definitely looking forward to it.

{Note: This album is currently featured in the coming soon Reggae section on Juno, which means that YOU CAN LISTEN TO THE ENTIRE THING LEGALLY FOR ABSOLUTELY FREE BECAUSE JUNO’S IDEA OF ‘SAMPLE’ IS THE ENTIRE FUCKING SONG, ALL THE TIME}

And lastly, we go from an artist, in Sara Lugo, of whom I’ve been singing the praises of for this year to an artist who I’ve been doing it for, for several years, Prince Theo. Biggup Bredz who pointed out to me this morning (Friday) that this thing even existed - Prince Theo has a new EP! It’s just two songs really, ‘Bloodshed’ and ‘Blessings’, but I had him IMMEDIATELY grab it up and send it to me. The tunes come via Reggae Vibes Productions, which is almost as big of a deal as Prince Theo having a new tune! Of course you know RGP from having produced (most notably), ”Many More Roads”, still the best piece of collective work Kymani Marley has ever done. Ran by Jah Mikes (Michael Coburn), the US based label also has to its credit, ”Unlimited”, a very nice album from Jah Mason a few years back (and I’m actually going to dig out the CD’s for both albums just to give accurate years . . .) -"Many More Roads” was actually way back in 2001 (and distributed by Artists Only! Biggup yourself if you remember Artists Only, whose website is probably still up . . . No, but they’ve a twitter which is amazing. They used to do Madhouse as well and are the original distributors for both ”Da Vibe” from Wayne Wonder and Baby Cham’s debut, ”Wow . . . The Story”) (a bit of nostalgia for the nerds, myself included) and ”Unlimited”, which I think was the Mason’s third album, came the following year - They also did a few riddims, like the WICKED Gualla Gualla (“Mi no Moses, but mi will put the rod in you, mek yuh run from New Jersey to Jamaica avenue“) and an album from Courtney Melody, ”Serious Business” and even Wayne Wonder’s ”Schizophrenic” also.

I digress.

Anyway, I thought that I’d let you know that Prince Theo is back with something official. It’s been a minute since RVP has done a full length album (2007), so MAYBE MAYBE they have it in mind to do a next now for Prince Theo which would be MADNESS! They’ve also supposedly had, for years, a completed project from Ras Shiloh, but . . . Yeah. So check out the new tunes from Prince Theo:

1. 'Bloodshed'
The big interest in this tune is that it samples the classic tune ‘Hooligans’ from John Holt (with the original vocals intact on the tune) and it is very impressive. Of course, it is an antiviolence tune at its core and it has a kind of ‘sing-a-long’ type of vibes to it (when he says “BLOODSHED’, you know you say it too). I’m still working with it and while it certainly isn’t the best tune I’ve ever heard, it’s damn solid and it’s a big tune.

2. 'Blessings'
This one also has a classic vibes to it and so much so that I think I may’ve heard it before. Regardless, this big praising tune is the better of the two selections on the EP to my ears. It gets to an almost (Reggae) Gospel type of vibes and it really just hits the spot on the way there and it shows off the Prince’s big vocals as well.

So, yet another reason to cease sleeping on the artist and if this doesn’t get you, I’m going to begin making fun of you shortly.

And that's it. Check back on Sunday for big tunes (link me at AchisReggae@hotmail.com to participate, although I probably won't get to them until I get back, because I have good choices this week) yeah.

BALANCE

No comments:

Post a Comment