Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Coming Soon Vol. 23.5 & Check It Vol. 18.5

Natural Black - “Mortima Hardly” [Rippa Blaxxx/Grillaras Productions/Zojak Worldwide]

Well look what we have here! Definitely the biggest and most wonderfulest piece of news we have this week comes courtesy of Rippa Blaxxx, Grillaras and the lovely girls and boys at Zojak Worldwide - It’s a NEW NATURAL BLACK ALBUM! What! The very nicely titled ”Mortima Hardly” seems like the Guyanese chanter’s very first album in about a decade or so (pretty sure he had one last year) (entirely too lazy to check) (even though the review is almost certainly somewhere on this blog) (I digress) and I’d been thinking that it was getting about time that he delivered again and he has. Having taken a brief spin through it, it has a hard and straight forward vibes to it and definitely so far so good. This one is going to catch a lot of eyes, I’m sure (the cover is SERIOUS), with its kind of ‘moody’ nature, particularly ‘Sufferation’, Natural Black’s 2009 combination with the legendary Sizzla Kalonji. Can’t wait to dig in.

Available Now
Digital (CD reportedly soon to come)
{Note: Review coming soon}

Dennis Brown - “Crown Prince of Reggae Singles” 1972 - 1985 [VP Records]

VP Records’ lightening of a reissue label, 17 North Parade has finally focused its sites on the legendary ‘Crown Prince’ of Reggae, Dennis Brown and they’re doing so with a stereotypically expansive effort in ”The Crown Prince of Reggae Singles”. This set features a sterling FORTY-EIGHT tracks spread over two physical discs AND it reportedly features a DVD which has been loaded up with an entire show from the legendary singer at Montreux in Switzerland. Of course, I focus on the here and now and the modern music of today, for the most part, but you almost HAVE TO like when the biggest label flexes its muscles like this to the tune of a potentially FLAWLESS set.

Releases on November 16
CD & Digital

The Upliftment Riddim [Dynasty Records]



Next in is a piece which is getting a rather surprising amount of attention - It’s the Upliftment Riddim from Dynasty Records. Okay . . . This one is pretty unusual for me because it is, essentially, an R&B set. With artists such as Bobby Hustle and Lymie Murray, it seems as if that’s acknowledged. At the same time, however, also on board are the HEAVY roots of Lutan Fyah, Mikey General and Zamunda alongside the typically most interesting Perfect. I’m still trying to figure out what I think of it, but if its getting as much attention as it is (and it is) (duh), then don’t wait for me to tell you otherwise, check it out.

Available Now
Digital

The Arrogant Riddim [City Lock Studio]



If you ever simply NEED to get my attention, what I would suggest that you do is just randomly add the name Rebellion The Recaller to your project and that’s certain to get me, I’m sure. Well, that’s exactly the route taken by German label, City Lock Studios, who draws on the very interesting Gambia native to lock in on its new high-powered Dancehall piece, the Arrogant Riddim. Also here are the likes of the world’s angriest man, Einstein, the most underrated Roundhead (alongside Senita), Ward 21 and even an English tune (apparently) from Shabu One Shant (from out of Spain???) (I THINK). With a lineup like such it makes me ignore the fact that there is also German Reggae - Which is CLEARLY evil.

Releases on November 12
Digital

Ginjah - “Never Lost My Way” [No Doubt Records]



We actually dealt with this album back in early May or so, but most of the conversation surrounding it was along the lines of ‘Achis, where can I get that new Ginjah album?’. The answer was, of course, at the website of Achis Reggae favourite and best Roots Reggae producer on earth, Flava McGregor. Well, a few months on, Flava has . . . . . . . Released EVERYTHING HE’S EVER MADE EVER, including this set, which now has a much wider (and seemingly ever-expanding) release. I won’t say too much (because I did in the review), but if you didn’t do so in May, feel free to now check one of the best Reggae albums of 2010 thus far.

Available Now
Digital
See Review Here

The Calling Riddim Sampler [Soulfire Hi-Fi Productions]

You ever feel like you’re doing something you’ve already done???

“If you ever simply NEED to get my attention, what I would suggest that you do is just randomly add the name Rebellion The Recaller to your project and that’s certain to get me, I’m sure. Well, that’s exactly the route taken by German label ”

Soulfire Hi-Fi

“who draws on the very interesting Gambia native to lock in on its new”

Old school vibed Dancehall riddim, the Calling. General Levy, Princess Sharifa, Mighty Toga, Promoe and others join The Recaller on this very NICE piece. Oh and

“With a lineup like such it makes me ignore the fact that there is also German Reggae - Which is CLEARLY evil.”

Releases on October 22
Digital

“Ward 21: The Compilation” [Ward 21]



Quietly, but fruitfully, the boys from Ward 21 have been hard at work over the last year or so and while we can surely wait until they deliver a next full album, what they’ve offered instead is a very random, but NICE compilation from their vaults. ”Ward 21: The Compilation” features a whole heap of big names going on Ward 21 riddims. Besides the Ward itself, listeners can check tunes from Shabba Ranking, Lady G, Spragga Benz, Tony Curtis, Million Stylez (with a big big tune) and, of course, Timberlee. Also featured prominently is the Ward’s Cosa Nostra Riddim. Arguably one of the (if not THE) biggest Dancehall riddim I’ve heard in 2010.

Available Now
Digital

The New Tek Riddim [D’Maestro Music]

The Canadian based D’Maestro Music, previously unknown to me (I think) has jumped up on radars with their new SWEET New Tek Riddim. Lutan Fyah, Tony Anthony, Frankie Paul, Nana McLean, Achis Reggae favourite Steele and Tinga Stewart [alongside Princess Jahmela] make up some of the bigger names on this set and they’re joined by NICE up and comers such as veteran Tasha T, Influential, Carla Marshall, Pachino and the always welcomed Elaine ’Lil Bit’ Shepherd. I haven’t actually gotten my hands on this as of yet, but I’m well looking forward to it, definitely.

Digital Releases on October 22
CD Available Now

The Rude Gal Riddim [Boardhouse Records]



Agent Sasco and co. at Boardhouse Records now deliver one of their latest creations, the very strong Rude Gal Riddim from just a couple of months back. This REAL Dancehall riddim, in a very Ward 21-like move, features only female DJ’s so while you won’t find ‘Sassin nor Aidonia nor Kartel, you will find D’Angel (who probably has the best tune), Timberlee, Pamputtae, Tifa, Nikki Burt and the most underrated Lady Ali. Always LOVE to see Boardhouse at work and it’s excellent that they’ve now progressed to the point where Assassin need not bless every production.

Available Now
Digital

The AK-47 Riddim [Rippa Blaxxx/Zojak Worldwide]

The same Rippa Blaxxx label who was featured with the VERY big album at the head of this post is also back with a riddim release (actually they have two, but I’ll tell you about the other next week). The label, which I believe is run by the same Daniel ’Blaxxx’ Lewis who has had his hands in so many pieces over the years, is apparently emptying its vault (which also includes work of the former Black House label which I suppose is now, for the most part, Rippa Blaxxx. In this instance they draw for the AK-47 Riddim from a year or two ago and there is definitely good stuff here. Beenie, Wayne Marshall, Natural Black and even the Dutty Cup Crew, Looga Man and Mossy Kid highlight this BIG sounding piece.

Available Soon
Digital


The Championship Riddim [Di Genius Productions]



Speaking of “big sounding” pieces - Stephen ‘Di Genius’ McGregor continues his MAD journey and does so with his latest work of art, the Championship Riddim. As usual, I’m still well within the process of determining exactly what I make of McGregor’s new riddim, but in the meantime, don’t let that stop you (like you would) from jumping on tunes from Capleton, Spragga Benz, Ele, T.O.K., Tony Matterhorn and the usual lights of Big Ship - Aidonia, Chino, the WICKED Bramma De Bomba (who damn near goes Soca on his tune, ’When She Wine’) , Laden and Chino. This one almost has an Electric/Techno vibes to it, but I’m almost sure there is something DEEP when you really dig into it.

Available Now
Digital

U Roy & Cornell Campbell - ‘Babylon You Wrong’ (single) [Zion High Productions/Zojak Worldwide]

You know, it was just the other day that I was thinking that I hadn’t heard from one of my favourite Stateside labels, Zion High Productions, and now today (or sometime last week), they jump back on my radars in a most wonderful of ways. ‘Babylon You Wrong’ is billed as the first in-studio combination between Reggae legends (and good friends, to my knowledge) Daddy U Roy and Cornell Campbell and I’m also going to bill it as “one of the best songs of 2010”. This thing is BEAUTIFUL, it is LUSH! Typically, ZHP pops up with an album and I don’t even know the general direction you would go in for an album in this case (like a combination album???), but in this case I’m sure that no one (at least not anyone with a brain) is going to complain about not having a full on album to go along with this SWEET SWEET song.

Available Soon
Digital

Lyndon John X/LJX - “Brighter Days” [Ohm Grown Records]

Quickly - I don’t know a whole lot about Canadian artist Lyndon John X [aka LJX], but I do know good music when I hear it. I knew it was good when I skimmed through what was apparently his debut album, ”Two Chord Skankin" from a few years back and I knew it when I casually did the same with his newest piece of work, ”Brighter Days”. This is the type of thing where I can sit back and say that you may very well not like every song on the album (and I’m not saying that, I don’t have this one yet), but you can appreciate the level of SKILL and obvious amount of time spent and I WELL have a good feeling about this one so I may pick it up myself.

Available Now
CD & Digital

Jalena - “The Jam Sessions” [Jalena]



And lastly (because I'm getting sleepy) - Jalena has an album! The album is called ”The Jam Sessions” and you will absolutely LOVE this thing if you like Soca music on the cooler side. Biggup Jalena and biggup Remmy who has apparently been in touch with her because she talked about it on her Twitter Page and her Facebook Page as well. Hey Jalena!

Available Now
CD & Digital
{See Review Here}

No comments:

Post a Comment