Thursday, November 4, 2010

Coming Soon Vol. 24

Coming Soon
Strictly The Best Vols. 42 & 43 [VP Records]




Okay, first up this week is something I wanted to hit just briefly because it’s still more than a month down the line from now, but it’s time for “the longest running series in Reggae music”, Strictly The Best from VP Records. Last year, I have to say that I was quite pleased with the results and hopefully they maintain the good vibes for 2010’s double installment. As is the norm, the even numbered edition is the Lover’s Rock/Roots Reggae version, while the odd focuses more on the Dancehall/Hip-Hop. #42 features BIG tunes from the likes of Alaine, Gramps Morgan, Courtney John, Stevie Face, Romain Virgo, Tarrus Riley, of course Gyptian and Ed Robinson (yes - ‘Our Heroes’ is on this album), while #43 pushes tunes from Beenie Man, Kartel, Busy Signal, a double shot of I-Octane, Agent Sasco, a few big combinations and more. You Can’t really vex too much here can you?

Potential Rating In Full: 4.5/5
Releases December 7
CD & Digital


The Billie Jean Riddim [Irie Ites]



Mighty Frenchie label, Irie Ites, must have inside information that the world is coming to an end or something like that because I’m pretty damn sure that they JUST released their Party Time/Take A Lick riddims album like an hour ago and ALREADY they’re back with a relick of the big and bad Billie Jean Riddim, which is a turn-around which is absolutely ridiculous in every way. That being said, however, pretty much every time they bother to do something it turns into a big deal and with the likes of Sizzla Kalonji (on a HUGE tune), Lutan Fyah, Mark Wonder (more on him in a bit), Daddy Rings and more on board, this one figures to be another excellent release from the label as well.

Potential Rating: 4.25/5
Releases Soon
CD & Digital
[Coming In December, Vinyl “coming soon”]

Apple Gabriel - “Teach Them Right” [Jahsolidrock]

Jahsolidrock, the same group that brought us one of the most LOVELY efforts of the year thus far, ”Judgement Time” by Chezidek is back at work and back at work with an equally LOVELY artist, the venerable Apple Gabriel. Formerly of Israel Vibration (where he coincidentally once sang ‘On Jah Solid Rock’), Gabriel has managed to remain in spotlight of the genre as one of its most respect of elders and certainly he’s going to be creeping back into the light with ”Teach Them Right”. If Chezidek’s album was any indication (and it was), we know that Jahsolidrock’s style is to go HEAVY with the powerful (and slightly old school) Roots Reggae and having already perused the album, I can also tell you that they’ve, again, thrown in a number of wonderful dubs as well. I actually already have this one and cannot wait to dig in.

Potential Rating: 4.5/5
Releases November 15
CD & Digital

{Review coming soon}

Mighty Mystic - “Wake Up The World” [Mighty Mystic]



It seems like YEARS that I’ve now been hearing of the US based (I THINK) Jamaican born chanter, Mighty Mystic. He’s kind of been this underground star for quite sometime and because of that, largely, I was DAMN surprised to see that he actually hadn’t made it to a full album release just yet, despite having (at least) a couple of EP releases (including one for this album). Well, he’s finally made his way and is delivering his much anticipated debut release, ”Wake Up The World”. Despite the fact that it’s been quite some time from since I have first heard his name, I admit that I don’t know a ton about Mystic and perhaps this album is the right time to become acquainted and, as if to give me more of an incentive, there’s a tune by the name of ‘Rems Up’ which happens to include Achis Reggae favourite Lutan Fyah (it’s on Juno, have a listen).

Potential Rating: ???
Releases November 23
Digital


The Red Alert Riddim [Uhuru Boys Productions]

Ultimately the Red Alert Riddim from Uhuru Boys Productions is probably just a bit too Hip-Hoppish for me, but with a lineup like that, I’m damn sure going to give it a listen. Lutan Fyah, Warrior King, Jah Mason, Norris Man, Chuck Fenda, Richie Spice, Black Uhuru, NiyoRah AND Ras Attitude??? REALLY??? Yeah. You can count me in. This piece will probably be familiar as it featured on both Lutan Fyah’s ”African Be Proud” album (tune called ‘Ghetto Youths’) and the phantom ”Keep Yah Head Up” from Jah Mason (’Wings of Wind‘) (both from Rastar and I know the riddim as a Rastar release, so maybe Rastar and Uhuru Boys are the same thing).

Potential Rating: 4/5
Releases November 8
Digital


“Flame of Life: One Riddim” [Angry Stuff Records]

I finished this entire post and had to come back because I’d forgotten to mention this potentially sublime piece of Frenchie Reggae, the Flame of Life Riddim from someone called Angry Stuff Records. The riddim is a very nice one-drop which has a lot of colour surrounding it, at times, but even at its most straight forward, it is a nice piece. What caught my attention, however, wasn’t what I heard, it was what I saw. Looking at the cover you can see three big artists - Lyricson (with a tune which is apparently absent from his forthcoming ”Messages” album), Takana Zion and Straïka D. I also recognize the names Brahim, Natwal, Colonel Reyel and Sista Rosta (who apparently is an official artist for Angry Stuff Records). And there’re also more than a few names who I’m looking to get to know better, so I just may pick up this 18 track set when it reaches.

Potential Rating: 4.5/5
Releases November 26
Digital


Mikey General - “Born To Rule” [Qabalah]



Well look what we have here! Was it just a couple of weeks ago we mined the vault for a review of the excellent ”Spiritual Revolution” album from the EXCELLENT Mikey General? Well, just a couple of weeks on and we receive word that the venerable singer has a brand new album forthcoming from Qabalah, the label he runs with the legendary Luciano, ”Born To Rule”. Yes - I am VERY excited about this one. Looking over the tracklist, I recognize a few tunes, most notably there is ‘Father God Almighty’ from the Chi Chi Bud Riddim and the Deville produced ‘Joy & Laughter’. Definitely looking forward to getting my hands on this release and, even though there is some BIG BIG material here, in terms of things I haven’t heard yet, there’s no more of a ‘can’t miss’ than Mikey General’s ”Born To Rule”.

Potential Rating: 4.5/5
Releases on November 22
CD & Digital


“True Stories of Mark Wonder & Friends” [Irie Vibrations/org. Al.Ta.Fa.An]



Last year (apparently two days before my birthday), I wrote a review for an album entitled ”True Stories of Mark Wonder & Friends”. To absolutely no surprise whatsoever, my review was (and probably still is) the only type of relatively decent literature to be found online about the album and that was really a damn shame because with names joining an already top notch singer in Mark Wonder like, Sizzla & Gentleman, Luciano, Lutan Fyah, Fantan Mojah, Chezidek, Anthony B and even Ziggi Recado, you’d think it’d be something which would gain a lot more eyes than it did. Well for the rest of you (shame!) Wonder and big Austrian label Irie Vibrations are giving you another shot as they’re re-releasing the album. To sweeten it, they’ve added a couple of tracks featuring I Wayne & Fire Star and Gentleman & Daddy Rings, respectively and I believe they’re also doing it on CD! So, you’ve been warned! Don’t fuck up in 2010 like you did last year, this is a album and it’s only gotten bigger.

Potential Rating: 4.5/5
Releases on November 26
CD & Digital
See Original Review


Vizion Sounds Records Catalogue [Vizion Sounds/Zojak Worldwide]

Leave it to the BEAUTIFUL girls and boys at the most magical place on earth, Zojak Worldwide, to just uncover this dazzling ball of goodness as they take digital the vaults of one of the lesser known GEMS of a label, Walter Fraser’s Vizion Sounds from out of Guyana. Over the years, they’ve done some really big work, including material from the likes of Buju Banton and Gregory Isaacs. Perhaps the most popular of their work, however, came with two releases: 2004’s ”Gideon” by Luciano and Natural Black’s ”Cool Nuh Black” from three years later (both pictured). There was also some other material in there which struck me and my collection on a grand scale and I’ll tell you about that in a few days, but while you’re waiting definitely have a look as some of this material is GOLD.

Potential Rating In Full: 5/5
Releases Soon
Hard to find CD & Digital



In Stores Now
Tiken Jah Fakoly - “African Revolution” [Universal]



I probably could’ve gotten to this one a couple of weeks ago, but it was listed as ‘coming soon’ for quite some time (at least every time that I checked on it), so I’d kind of forgotten about it to some degree. But now the ”African Revolution” from Afrikan Reggae star, Tiken Jah Fakoly, has begun and I’ve already a nice bit of response from it and even a few interviews with the artist as well. I don’t know too much about this album, so I’ll refrain from going in on too deep (at least for now), but this is one of the biggest and most popular artists that we have today (whether you realize it or not) and whatever he does is a big deal and I’m WELL looking forward to getting my hands on it and having a listen.

CD & Digital

“Classics From The Vault” [Star Trail/Zojak Worldwide]

Okay, I tried to tell you about this one a few weeks back, but I didn’t get it right so here it is again and it’s still a pretty big deal. Of course if you’re reading this, you’re probably well familiar with the Star Trail label and Richard ‘Bello’ Bell. And you may also be familiar with the fact that around a decade ago they released a four disc set by the name of ”Total Ragga” which you can probably still find copies of floating around online somewhere (as a matter of fact apparently Ernie B has it right now). Anyway, the ”Classics From The Vault” series is that release. There’re four installments of it and the first has recently pushed up and the remaining three are expected shortly to my knowledge. If you don’t like ALL of this stuff (and you won’t) (I don’t), going digital is the best way to get it, because you can now pick and choose FIFTY-SIX tunes from Anthony B, Garnet Silk, Everton Blender, Norris Man, Capleton, Sizzla Kalonji, Determine, Louie Culture, Junior Reid, Spanner Banner, Prezident Brown, Iyashanti, Josie Mel, Luciano, Military Man, Mykal Rose, Roundhead, Kulcha Knox, Jack Radics, Josey Wales, The Tamlins, Courtney Melody . . . WHAT! Jah Mason, Buju Banton, Paul Elliot, Ghost . . . You get the point. THERE IS SOMETHING HERE YOU WANT!

CD & Digital now

Malkijah - “Sa Pou Zot” [Discorama]



You had to know this was going to make the list. After FINALLY grabbing up Malkijah’s much talked about ”Eruption” album last year, I well figured that it’d be a nice spot of time before we heard from her on any type of ‘official’ form, but we look up and see that she’s essentially done what the Frenchies call a ‘street album’ (everyone else calls it a 'mixtape'), ”Sa Pou Zot” and now I want it and I’m going to get it shortly. You should get it as well, because listening through the clips (and it’s on Juno, so by “clips” I mean the entire thing, of course) and I’m impressed. There’re a few familiar moments and that’s fine, but I’m simply loving such an obscure artist get such a nice exposure (and is it just me or does Malkijah look a little like an elf on the cover???) (a cute elf).

Digital . . . Maybe CD

The Eyes On My Purpose Riddim [Ghetto Scorp Productions]



I mentioned the Billie Jean Riddim from Irie Ites in this very same post, coincidentally, and I’m almost sure that Irie Ites have SOMETHING to do with Ghetto Scorp Productions, who drops what I believe to be their first effort, the Eyes On My Purpose Riddim and with only four tunes on the piece, they’ve already managed to grab some attentions. Lutan Fyah , Sena and Black Warrior take turns on the riddim, but SMASHING it into bolivion (biggup Mike Tyson) is Spectacular who once again proves that when he is on top of things, he can be DEVASTATING. His tune, ‘I Wish’ is an absolute master-class of a song.

Digital

The Operation Riddim [Rippa Blaxxx]

Virtually at the same time the label makes it big arrival, courtesy of Natural Black’s big recent release ”Mortima Hardly”, Rippa Blaxxx also is throwing in a couple of riddim albums as well. The first was the AK-47 Riddim which (I THINK) I told you about last week, but more crucial is this destructive composition, the Operation Riddim. Okay . . . Hmmm. Okay the riddim ITSELF is madness! I can remember going through this knowing that I knew it from somewhere before being reminded where and even though THERE isn’t HERE - What is here is impressive material from Sizzla, Mavado, Wayne Marshall (yes, I like Wayne Marshall’s tune), Munga Honourable and Shane-O (MAD!).

Digital

The Christopher Columbus Riddim [Street Rockaz Family]



There isn’t much here, but what is here is awfully impressive I have to say. I correctly guessed that the Street Rockaz Family, of whom I’d never heard, was a French label (because everyone else is) and they are and they also are pushing a very nice composition, the Christopher Columbus Riddim. The piece features just four selections, from the FLAMING Chezidek, Prezident Brown and Malanikenda (don’t ask) and also a clean version of the riddim. So, as if we needed more Reggae music from France - Here it is and I’m not complaining.

Digital

Elephant Man - ‘Vampires & Informers’ (single) [Subatomic Sound]

And finally because I am exhausted is Elephant Man . . . As if Ele needed any help getting weirder, the boys and girls at Subatomic Sound figured that they’d help him anyway and they were successful to say the least with his tune, 'Vampires & Informers'. I call this release a “single” despite the fact that the digital release comes with EIGHT TRACKS. In typical Subatomic style, there is mix after mix and dub after dub. Some are pretty good (my favourite is “Dubblestandart’s Transylvania roots mix”), but of course, I’m going to have to say that you’ll likely find the most joy in this project if you REALLY like this song and REALLY like Ele and I’m sure there’re a lot of people in both cases.

Digital

BONUS
Luciano - "Write My Name" [Footprintz Music Group]

Most unusually, while finishing up this post (for the second time) and while talking to Bredz on the phone, he told me that he'd just found a new Luciano album! The album, "Write My Name", comes via the US based Footprintz Music Group (who sounds kind of familiar to me actually, for some reason, but I can't think of anything else they've done) and they look legit so this is a BIG deal now isn't it. Aside from that, Luciano AND Mikey General dropping albums this month, a few hours apart and suddenly this dried up November just got a lot more delicious.

Potential Rating: 4.75/5
Releases November 23
CD [Apparently it has a DVD too!]

No comments:

Post a Comment