Monday, November 29, 2010

Coming Soon Vol. 26

Coming Soon
Midnite - “Treasure” [Rastar Records]

Yes! It’s almost next year! You know that means that IMMEDIATELY there will be new albums from the world’s busiest man . . . Oops, I mean Band, Midnite [aka Vaughn Benjamin] and he . . . I mean they’re getting things started right on time in 2011 with their first announced released, ”Treasure” from Rastar. The album becomes the followup to so-so efforts ”To Mene” and that other one whose name I can’t remember, ”Ina Now”. Actually listening through this one (it is on Juno) and it sounds pretty good actually. Of course, I’m not the biggest Midnite fan (because you are), but I think I might just put my hands on this one and have a listen, just like yourself.

Rated Potential: 4/5
Releases on January 25
CD & Digital


“Jah Cure Special” (EP) [Vizion Sounds Records/Zojak Worldwide]

Thankfully I was able to get a picture for this one so I could include it this week (biggup Aaron). This VERY curious piece, ”Jah Cure Special”, from Guyanese label, Walter Fraser’s Vizion Sounds, definitely caught my attention for a few reasons. The first and most glaring is that it is work done by Jah Cure with what is quietly one of my favourite labels and the second, of course is that not only is it a song or two, but they’ve lined up the Cure with some Guyanese talent as well. Like who??? Well, of course there’s First Born, that’s obvious, with a mix of the tune ‘Farmer’s Pleasure’, and it is a big big mix of an already big big tune. The second, however, is a mix of the tune ‘Your Love’ which features Achis Reggae favourite SHELLY G! When I first heard the tune I’d realized that it wasn’t completely new to me (further research reveals that it dropped earlier this year), but I had no idea that it was a Jah Cure/Shelly G combination. They sound absolutely excellent together as well. This release is eight tracks spread over the two tunes (with original, combination mixes, instrumentals and an a cappella version) and it is very very nice as well (listening to that voice in an a cappella is BIG and doing it twice is even bigger).

Releases on December 14
Digital


Lloyd Brown - “Cornerstone” [Riddimworks Productions/JMG Inc/Zojak Worldwide]

If you come back around here tomorrow (and by “tomorrow”, I mean ‘in a few days‘, because it’s Saturday when I’m writing this) you’ll definitely have the opportunity to get to know better the latest (and 14th) studio album from sweet singing UK veteran, Lloyd Brown, ”Cornerstone”. The album which comes via the singer’s very own label, Riddimworks Productions, is my Tuesday review for this week, so while I’ll save heavy commenting for ’tomorrow’, even if you forget to return, do definitely check out the latest from one of the true reigning masters of Reggae music.

Releases in a few hours
CD & Digital


Jah Mason - “Keep Ya Head Up” [Rastar Records]

If I’m reading correctly, then apparently Rastar Records has signed some type of distribution deal with VP Records (and the aforementioned ”Treasure” album from Midnite is also a part of that), which is seemingly going to lead to the release of the oft-scheduled and oft-postponed ”Keep Ya Head Up” album from Jah Mason. I’ve had it for a little while now and, having been looking forward to it for the two years that it was delayed ‘originally’ . . . It’s pretty bad and certainly wasn’t worth the time. It’s essentially a Hip-Hop album, which isn’t surprising from Rastar and that combined with some recycled lyrics just takes away from it and probably ensures that WHENEVER it drops, ”Keep Ya Head Up” will most likely be the Mason’s worst album to date.

Rated Potential: 2/5
Releases . . . December 21 {note: I’ve seen it on two different sites with that date, but one site even says 2011. Of course it could be a typo, but with this one, who knows. Stay tuned, unfortunately}
CD & Digital


Jah Turban - “Africa Is Our Home” (EP) [S.J.P Records]



I mentioned this one a few days ago, but I thought that I’d bring it back to just reiterate the point (or maybe it’s just a slow week) (the choice is yours). The outstanding Denmark based, Spanish Town born chanter, Jah Turban is set to widely release his debut EP, ”Africa Is Our Home”. This piece feature six very solid tracks including, ‘Mystic of Jah’, ‘Show Some Love’, the title track, ‘My Empress’, ‘Move Vampire’ and the big big first single, ‘Babylon Doom’. To me, every tune here has a big lot of potential and I’m well intending to pick it up myself. If the link between your ears and brain is functioning, you’ll join me.

Rated Potential: 4.5/5
Releases December 3
Digital

{note: Available at Skymusic.dk right now}

Konshens - ‘Weak’ (single) [Dub Akom Records/Zojak Worldwide]



Next, we have a BIG new tune from Reggae/Dancehall star Konshens, from one of my favourite new(er) labels, Akom Records from out of France, ‘Weak’. Call this one a bit of a ‘complicated gal tune’, it has this intoxicatingly KNOCKING vibes to it and not necessarily the kind of off-the-wall zaniness typically expected to a tune with such a label. Very nice chorus, strong lyrics and a nice vibes - This one has “winner” written all over it.

Releases on December 7
CD & Digital


Wyckyd J - ‘Make A Unity’ (single) [Don Jalys Production]

And finally - The name Wyckyd J is one which has been around from quite a few years now and though I don’t know that I’ve EVER truly paid him as much attention as he probably deserved, the young DJ (almost a decade younger than me) (which is absolutely disgusting) from out of Gwada may now be DEMANDING that I do so with a big new tune from Don Jalys (which is apparently a label in London which does French Reggae, as opposed to Frenchie from out of Maximum Sound, who is French and does English Reggae), ‘Make A Unity’, which is . . . WICKED. I might have to go back and give his album, ”Sweety Gyal” from 2008, a second listen because this isn’t his first tune this year which has reached the international digital market and nor is it the first such tune from which I have thoroughly enjoyed.

Releases on December 13
Digital


In Stores Now
Taj Weekes & Adowa - “A Waterlogged Soul Kitchen” [Taj Weekes/Jatta Records]



I thought that I’d mention this one, if for no other reason than because the PASSION which usually comes from fans of arguably St. Lucia’s most popular Reggae export (unless I’m REALLY forgetting someone), is probably the closest thing that I can think of to Midnite fans. In the case of Weekes, I’ve just never really been much of a fan of his music and I don’t particularly know why. Still, I know a big album (on the surface) and certainly there’re going to be a lot of people farrrrrrrrr smarter than me who think the latest release from Taj Weekes & Adowa, ”A Waterlogged Soul Kitchen”, to be exactly that and that without conditions. I’ll keep my critiques to myself (unless I review it someday), but if you love Taj Weekes (and even if you don’t, you may want to give it a listen) definitely check out his latest much anticipated release.

CD & Digital

The Scallawah Rhythm [T.H.C. Muzik Records/Zojak Worldwide]



Here’s a VERY interesting release. The clues on this one come from the cover and the ample presence of the word ‘notorious’. Yes. You guessed it, it’s the riddim album for the riddim which backed Turbulence’s MASSIVE hit ‘Notorious’. I didn’t really know that this thing was passed about as much as it was, but certainly I can’t be surprised with as much WORK as it ended up doing for Turbulence. Also testing their skills across the Scallawah from T.H.C. is a very eclectic group highlighted by such mixed names such as Ziggi Recado (alongside Turbulence on a remix of the hit tune, which I think was on Ziggi's debut album "So Much Reasons") (the original is also here), the flaming UT Ras, longtime David House resident Moses I, Ray Darwin, Kulcha Knox, the late Daddigon, unfortunately Kid Kurrupt and Farenheit alongside Jovi Rockwell. Certainly the results, in almost every case, are mixed (the riddim itself is very very strange actually and I always thought that), but in all honesty this is clearly one of the most interesting entries on this entire post.

Digital

Westside Riddim [Special Delivery Music]



I was really considering putting one of my older favourite Frenchie labels, Special Delivery Music, in my recent list for my favourite labels last week (or whenever that was), but save for whatever they did on Lyricson’s recent album ”Messages”, I couldn’t think of any substantial thing they had done in 2010, but now they’ve well given me something. The captivating Westside Riddim is the label’s latest release and although it doesn’t make up for that much (presumed) inactivity, it’s definitely doing a major damage around these parts. Vibing what is probably one of the best riddims I’ve heard this year are the likes of Fantan Mojah, I-Octane, Konshens, Ziggi Recado alongside Mr. Mojo, Bugle and of course Gappy Ranks (with others). I’m really liking the sound of this one and it’s been soooooooooo damn long since I’ve dealt with something from SD, so you might be able to expect a review of this one sometime in December.

Digital
{CD reportedly coming soon in extended form, with contributions from both Tiwony and Maikal X}
{BIG!}
{Camille, leave me alone}


The Mento Riddim [Fedda Weight Productions]



Here’s another pretty interesting drop from a pretty interesting label in Fedda Wright (get it???) from out of St. Ann (!), the Mento Riddim from not too long ago. Okay, here’s the thing about this one - MOST of the songs on this one aren’t very good. You have songs from Matterhorn, Nuffy, Déjà vu and Luddy Haskell (who actually does have skill) which seem like they didn’t take any talent whatsoever to create. They’re just . . . They’re just there. But the riddim itself is BEAUTIFUL. It’s a REAL, LEGITIMATE Dancehall riddim, no ‘Hip-Hall’ foolishness at all. And it isn’t a TOTAL waste either. Tunes from Agent Sasco, a very D’Angel sounding Tifa and Shana S (whose tune, ‘Flashing Lights’, probably isn’t that good, but every time I hear her I just start to think of all of that . . . Curve and Ass she has. So, definitely be careful with this one, despite its pretty cover, you don’t want everything behind it. Trust me.

Digital

The Saudi Arabia Riddim [Pure Music Productions]



Speaking of actual Dancehall riddims (and pretty album covers), next we have the latest composition from Dancehall veteran, Delly RanxPure Music Productions, the very LARGE Saudi Arabia Riddim which is probably my current favourite Dancehall riddim going (isn’t saying much, I know). It almost brings tears to the eyes, unfortunately - That KNOCK. That KNOCKING Dancehall one-drop which has become a most endangered species. Anyway (I digress), of course you can expect copious amounts of Delly, Macka Diamond (big tune), Teflon, Gappy Ranks again, Wayne Wonder (who I’m going to tell you about in just a little while) and most surprisingly, Gramps Morgan, whose ‘The Almighty’ tune is easily the best of the offerings here. Well done Delly.

Digital

The Old School Riddim [Russcuttaz Music Productions/Zojak Worldwide]



While I’m not overly thrilled with the Old School Riddim (or its title) from Russcuttaz, it’s such a rare occasion that I find myself saying such a thing, but pretty impressed with the project overall - Meaning that I like the artists and the rhymes over it mainly. And this one isn’t too PACKED with large names either. Higher Purse (the producer, I believe), Malijah, Chaos and Smokie Benz (alongside Karamanti) are some of the names here as are Shaka Pow, Cush Hunta and Wild Life, but the biggest guns on board are Natty King and Natural Black (both of whom do excellently with their tunes, respectively). So you can see that it isn’t soaking with star names. But that’s okay, because I like it and I think you probably will as well.

Digital


“Bubbling To Touch” [T.H.C. Muzik Records/Zojak Worldwide]

I was actually about to save this one for next one, but after we gave it a quick spin through, it was pretty impressive and we noticed the small bit of response to be quite strong as well. So, definitely check out ”Bubbling To Touch” which is another riddim compilation album from the same people I just told you about on the Scallawah, THC Muzik. Surely this one won’t attract as much attention, but apparently its rather easily and clearly stronger, in general, than its ’sibling’ the Scallawah and it features just as interesting collection of artists as well. Johnny Clarke, Daweh Congo, Noddy Virtue, Doniki, Fred Locks, Stream and the legendary Sugar Minott all decorate this piece and while I am by no means ‘blown away’, I am well intrigued.

Digital

Wayne Wonder - “If I Ever” (EP) [Singso/Zojak Worldwide]




And finally - Dancehall/Reggae superstar Wayne Wonder is an artist who has quietly been building a very nice last year or two for himself with a semi-steady stream of big and unexpected quality tunes. So, while fans (and I am one of them) continue to wait for the next EP, the singer himself has put together a nice four track EP on his own Singso Records label (going digital courtesy of Zojak Worldwide), featuring some of his recent work. You’ll find here the dazzling title track, the Big Ship vibed ‘All About You’ [New Chapter Riddim], ‘I’ll Never Leave You’ (on the same GORGEOUS Dean Pond licked riddim which backed the title track from Pressure Busspipe’s latest album, ”Coming Back To You”) and the EXOTIC ‘Don’t Say No’ from a few years back (which is HUGE) (incidentally, that tune got a WICKED straight Dancehall remix update not very long ago with Delly on board). Although Wonder has been flying beneath most radars since his last album, ”Foreva”, he remains one of the most consistent Dancehall singers of all time and his new EP, ”If I Ever”, is not only a big deal, but it is EXCELLENT as well, so do check it out.

Digital


**Bonus Stevy Mahy - ‘”The Beautiful Side of A Kreyol Folk Trip” [BCaribbean] Bonus**

Okay, I forgot to do this last week (and probably the week before) (and probably the week before that too) so I’ll make a quick mention of it. I got so much reaction, on the page and through email, on mentioning this one when we wrote it, so I thought that I’d come back to add just a bit. Certainly, wherever in the world you are, you can roll over to your favourite digital retail site and pick up a copy of Stevy Mahy’s most GORGEOUS album, ”The Beautiful Side of A Kreyol Folk Trip”. BUT, you can also grab up the CD as well (and I think that we are going to do that also). So, Yes. It is available on CD. I’m still listening to it. It is still perfect and the biggest non-Reggae album I’ve heard in all of 2010 and probably a few years before as well.

CD & Digital
{Check out the wonderful people at Antilles-Mizik.com}
{See My Review}

No comments:

Post a Comment