Tuesday, November 2, 2010

"KING"


For today, I thought that I’d briefly relay a . . . CHARMING moment (at least to me) which happened probably back in April or so, instead of trying to write some not-so intelligent article in an hour or two.

My Daughter is one of the quietest kids that I’ve ever seen in my entire life. When I was a child the only thing that could keep from running my mouth was if my mouth were completely full and, my Wife, although a pretty smart kid (so she says), was reportedly a never-ending talker as well. It fit’s the young one’s general disposition as well - She’s pretty observant and just doesn’t make a great deal of noise. To make the point even greater, of course Grand Parents love Grand Children and after meeting my Daughter for the very first time (she was less than a month old at that point) my most wonderful Mother-In-Law, stuck in a conversation with me for five minutes or so about nothing in particular, caught herself by saying something, in reference to the baby, along the lines of, “Oh. I forgot she was even here”.

Generally, the only thing that will get a rise out of her is Daddy doing something stupid, food of course and Soca OR the prospect of Soca. “Car ride” is a phrase she’s come to equate with Soca and I can write this thing forever, but to be perfectly honest, I have NEVER heard ANY song even remotely as captivating and intoxicating as this little girl’s laugh and appropriated general delirium. It is the light of my physical life.

So! On this particular day in April, while going through the ‘other room’, which holds the a great deal of my music collection and . . . About four years worth of failed attempts of new hobbies of my Wife’s, I was thumbing through posters of my Wife’s and showing the short one and got to a rather nice one of His Imperial Majesty. I haven’t talked to her about these things and, like I said, she isn’t the most vocally inquisitive of people which made it all the more surprising when, without any provocation whatsoever, and without any discernible emotion or inflection in her voice, my Daughter puts her hand on the side of the picture and says, “King”.



Today we give thanks and honours in the name of His Imperial Majesty, Emperor Haile Selassie I. Crowned King of Kings, Lord of Lords, Conquering Lion of The Tribe of Judah, Elect of God and Might of The Trinity 80 years ago today.

4 comments: