Monday, November 1, 2010

Stuff: Almost There

Yow!
It’s November if you haven’t noticed (and be honest, you haven’t, have you???) which means that in less than two month’s time, the whole of 2010 will be but a memory and we shall enter the final 7 months and 13 days of my twenties known as 2011 - Thank you for your condolences. But first, we turn our attention to remembering October 2010 and we do so, mainly, in memory of three names the Reggae/Caribbean Music/Caribbean community lost.

Apparently in the matter of just three days we lost the legendary singer, Gregory Isaacs [59] and sitting prime minister of Barbados [49], David Thompson to cancer - Isaacs to a cancer of the lungs and Thompson to pancreatic cancer. Also and so tragically, on the 22nd of the month, Soca singer Blazer Dan was shot and killed in his yard. I have to admit that (at least so I thought) I hadn’t been paying much attention to Blazer’s music over the past few seasons, but when I actually looked him up, he’d sang quite a few tunes that I liked, such as ‘Waistline’, ’Be Mine Tonight’ and a personal favourite ‘Stages’ from a few seasons back.



So big all of them up immensely. I think it’s always so important to CELEBRATE people when they past because I never really meet a nice person who wants people to be sad when they’re gone, so, particularly in the case of Isaacs and Blazer, they’ve left us with so much to be celebrate with so, at least in our case, we’re definitely celebrating them today and going forward. Rest easy our friends.



Aside from that, my quest for October was to have a good time and I didn't do everything I wanted, but we definitely had a good time. Went to a few nice parties as well.

My personal highlight was the review for Jalena’s ”The Jam Sessions” album, because I didn’t even know it was around at that time and we did it anyway and from since then, it’s been traveling quite nicely and I even had the opportunity to listen a nice interview with her as well. There was also the Ifficial Riddim, Buju’s new album, Adele Harley and TWO vault reviews for my people who say I never touch them and hopefully I can pull another this month also had a nice list and hopefully have another fairly soon on that as well and just niceness. I’m not going to kiss my own ass (because it is physically impossible and even if it weren’t I wouldn’t do it), but I wrote WELL in October and the response has been so nice, so thank everyone.

So that’s that - November you say??? Don’t know! But let’s see.
  • I was looking forward to an Etana album this month, but it’s not going to happen (and apparently isn’t going to until next year). What you can expect, however, are reviews for albums from the likes of Apple Gabriel, Lyricson, the ”Hi-Grade Ganja Anthems 3” album and . . . Yeah. You see that’s all I have from the top of my head, so I may use November to go back and do some stuff I’ve been meaning to write for a few months such as the Major & Minor Riddim album and even wayyyyyy back for Clinton Fearon. And who knows what else jumps up - I could see Bambu Station doing their release this month and . . . Yeah. And potential drops from the vault include a Sizzla review (DAMNNNNNNN) as well as Kulcha Knox.
  • Tomorrow is the 80th anniversary of the Coronation of His Imperial Majesty, Emperor Haile Selassie I and while I absolutely atrocious with dates, I have remembered this year and will act (HOPEFULLY) appropriately. However, I don’t know what it is yet, so don’t expect anything too elabourate or colourful and hopefully not too corny either.
  • Still have a few things left in the offering in terms of . . . Talking to people, but I don’t know when I’m going to get that done, but thankfully I have the options now. OH! And I (fucked up) didn’t do it in October, but we will be doing artist of the month in November.
  • This month, we’re mixing fun and sensibilities. December I THINK I’m going to grind down and start writing serious pieces and such, so if you have anything ridiculous on the mind (especially lists), let me know and, of course, send those and send big (and obscure) tunes to AchisReggae@Hotmail.com.
Biggup everyone. I just talked about you a few days ago, so I won’t this time - But biggup everybody else, like Dale Cooper and everybody at Zojak (hey Zoe!) . . . (Yeah forgot about the Zojak bag, something REALLY nice they’re doing I’ll have to tell you about, probably on Thursday) and Lion Zeal and Linya and blah blah blah blah. Let’s have a good time this month yeah. Biggup yourself John B.

Tune! I had a good one when I started, but I forgot it. So check this one instead (whatever it turns out to be dammit).



Pictured - The Conquering Lion

Shall Break Every

Chain

1 comment: