Saturday, December 18, 2010

Check It Vol. 21: Ridiculously Random

Tessanne Chin - “In Between Words” [Tessanne Chin]




So, we’ve heard for years now about Tami’s little sister, Tessanne Chin, delivering her debut album and while it had yet to materialize for quite some time, she’s finally taken matters into her own hands and put it, ”In Between Words” out on her own terms. The first time I’d EVER heard anything about Chin it was reported that she was basically a Rock singer and it’s well reflected on her album, despite the fact that most of her recent work (at least to my knowledge) had been Reggae and borderline R&B type of vibes. Some of those vibes are here as well, but I would well suggest that all who pick up this one be preferably a fan of Chin’s, but if not then at least a fan of Rock and One-Drop Reggae. I was also happy to see that both ‘Hideaway’ and ‘Loving You’ alongside Kees from Kes D Band are on the album as well.

Digital

Crisopolis - “Sirens From A Distance” [RPR Production]



I’m still not too sure what I think about this one here. Portmore native, Crisopolis, is an artist who I just really started paying an attention to back last year or so and we look up now and he has an album already! Crisopolis is a big artist, if I recall correctly he had an EXCELLENT tune by the name of ‘Sieve Out’ just a while back and while that tune isn’t on the album, so far (I don’t have it yet) , ”Sirens From A Distance” does sounds fairly promising. Consider this one a work in progress, because I may just pick this one up and review it before the end of 2010 . . .

Digital

Kaysha - “Works of Art” [Sushiraw]



I thought that I’d do just a bit of ‘cleaning up’ on a few releases and right when I was about to go with what I had . . . I saw that Zouk/Kizomba/allofthoseotherstrangegenres star, Kaysha, had actually just released an album to my surprise, “Works of Art“. I am, by no means, the biggest fan of Kaysha’s and I may not even pick this album up actually, but he may just be my favourite producer anywhere near Zouk (his label, Sushiraw, has worked extensively with some of my favourites such as Thayna and Fanny J), so the vibes here may just be pretty impressive (and they sound so on the clips, definitely). This album follows the big double set, ”Forever Young” from a couple of years back and like that release, it appears to feature quite a bit of English tunes, and it’s twenty-two tracks long also. The album also features combinations with Teeyah, Shana, some guy name Tony Sad and Loony Johnson and I’m sure this one is a REALLY big deal for a lot of people. And if you’re in Canada or the States in the next week or so, apparently you can spend the Holidays with a touring Kaysha as well.

Digital

"Turn It Up" [Madhouse Records]



Once or twice a year arguably the greatest producer the Dancehall has EVER seen, Dave Kelly and Madhouse Records, finds the time in his busy schedule of . . . Doing whatever it is the hell he does for the other 360 days out of the year, to actually produce a riddim and well, here’s his latest work, the Turn It Up Riddim. Musically speaking, of course, whenever Kelly vibes anything it’s almost guaranteed to be genius work and this time is no exception. Kelly also comes with a ‘secret weapon’, which is Baby Cham and his protégé absolutely RULES this riddim with the MASSIVE ‘Dat Mi Seh’ which sounds like Cham circa 2001. Also on board is Pinchers of course, unfortunately Bling Dawg, a reunited Bounty Killer (credited as Rodney Pryce) and Timberlee who joins Cham on another tune, ‘Tump Mi’. Masterclass as usual from Madhouse.

Digital

The Camel Riddim [House of Riddim]

The first time I heard a bite of the very nice Camel Riddim, frustratingly I was sure that I had heard it from somewhere, but I couldn’t quite put my finger on it, exactly. That was the case until I noticed that the producers of the riddim was the same House of Riddim who had pushed Natty King’s latest album "Born To Be Free” earlier this year . The riddim backed a very strong tune on that album, ‘Don’t Be Foolish’ and alongside that tune, listeners can look forward to the riddim being put through its proverbial paces by the likes of Zareb, Fitta Warri, Pad Anthony, Uwe Banton & Ganjaman, Karli Owli, Monsoon and ‘Vido’ (I think it’s Vido Jelashe).

CD & Digital

The Ovaseaz Riddim [Hemp Higher]



Riga and the overactive Swiss label, Hemp Higher, is back at things again with its own latest creation, the Ovaseaz Riddim. This riddim is just as charged as its creators with its very electric feel to it, something which certainly isn’t foreign to fans of HH’s work. Of course new Hemp Higher riddim means a new tune from Gwada born Swiss grown star, Cali P and he’s brought a whole heap of artists with him as well. Straika D, Tiwony, Antonio West, Mad Killah and Fulklip are just a few of the biggest names also trying the Ovaseaz Riddim out as well.

Digital

The Dancehall EFX Riddim [ZJ Chrome]




This one, I don’t really like. The Dancehall EFX Riddim is the latest release from ZJ Chrome and it’s just . . . Well . . . It’s pretty average if you ask me. Currently (and unsurprisingly) the riddim has quite a bit of talk around it largely because Vybz Kartel has struck with a big tune on the riddim, ’Dancehall Hero’, and pretty much everyone else is just kind of revolving around that tune. Some of them, however, are pretty big ’PLANETS’. The biggest, technically, is Mavado, but there’s also Aidonia (who for me has the best tune on the riddim, ‘Chat From No Boy‘, which may or may not be aimed at a certain super hero), Ce’Cile (hey Ce’Cile!), Bugle, Flexx and the same other damn people who’re always around on shit that sounds like this (Stephen McGregor is also here with a tune which kind of makes you think that he built the riddim doesn’t it). But, like I said, I’m not overly fond of the riddim itself - But I don’t know shit, have a listen for yourself.

Digital

Vybz Kartel - “Clarks: De Mix Tape” [Tad’s Records]



We’re going to call ”Clarks: De Mix Tape” exactly what it is, essentially - A 2010 Greatest Hits album for Vybz Kartel. ‘Clarks’, ‘Money Tree’, ‘Cake Soap’, ‘Yuh Love’, ‘Clarks Again’, ‘Straight Jeans & Fitted‘, ‘Better Can Wuk’, ‘Dumpa Truck’, ‘Touch A Button’ and a version of ‘Dancehall Hero’ (which supposedly features Ce’Cile, but I don’t hear her on that tune). Others, such as Charly Black and Mavado also chime in on the project which also features a mixed version (which may mean that the CD is a double) via DJ Wayne.

CD & Digital {CD releases on December 21}

The Golden Whiskey Riddim [Dream Entertainment]

Here’s another that I’m not all too fond of, the Golden Whiskey Riddim (which I keep calling the Ghetto Whiskey Riddim for some reason) from Dream Entertainment. Here’s the thing about this one: It has some decent moments, including Ratigan on ‘Love Mi Style’, but the riddim is pretty average and there’re only six vocal tracks. HOWEVER, two of those six just happen to come from two of my favourite artists, Mad Cobra and [General] Degree who effectively lay the riddim to ruins with their two songs, ‘Look Good Time’ and ‘Party On’, respectively.

Digital

The Revolution Riddim [Dream Entertainment]



The same Dream Entertainment is responsible for piecing together a pretty decent compilation album for the old Revolution Riddim (which you know from Dennis Brown’s tune of the same name). I have to say that this piece did make me feel pretty stupid because after all these years, I’d never realized that I Wayne’s tune ‘Touch Her Softly’ (which is on this compilation) was on the Revolution Riddim (dumb!). Anyway, also joining the strange singer from Portmore are the likes of Natty King, Luciano, Turbulence, Capleton, Lutan Fyah, Perfect and even Peter Hunnigale . . . All of which prove to be almost enough to make up for the fact that the atrocious Danny English is also here.

Digital

“Revelation Time” [Zion Bound Production/Zojak Worldwide]

And I thought that I’d mention this decent set as Zion Bound Productions (I don’t know who they are) release a riddim album by the name of ”Revelation Time”, through the wonderful people at Zojak Worldwide. I’m pretty sure I know this thing from somewhere and probably even a couple of the tunes as well but - This is a pretty nice project with some big tunes on it, regardless of its origins. Check out tunes from bros. Richie Spice, Pliers and Spanner Banner, Lutan Fyah, Mikey General, Jah Mali, Jah Mason, Lutan Fyah, Warrior King and others. Very nice and I think I’ll grab it as well.

Digital

Perfect - ‘Light Up’ (single) [Weedy G Soundforce]



And lastly this week (I think it’s probably taken me about twenty minutes of actual work to do this entire thing) is just a BIG single from Perfect for Weedy G, ‘Light Up’, across relick #9,014 of the Punany Riddim. This tune is FUCKING ridiculous! Absolutely reeking of ‘No Badda Mi’, Perfect literally throws himself across the legendary riddim to a big effect with probably one of his best herbalist tunes ever. When the planets and the stars all align just perfectly and Perfect’s oddities match up . . . Perfectly with the riddim, the results can be outstanding - Just like this tune.

Digital


{Note: Ignore some timely shit in this, I kept adding things and then more things}

No comments:

Post a Comment