Indomitable. I think that as you age, you begin to make certain concessions in regards to the passage of time and, even if you don't, Mother Nature makes them for you. You wake up one day and you're forty-five years old and most of us aren't what we used to be, physically, and maybe you have to watch what you eat a bit closer than you ever did (....if you ever did) if you're at all concerned with sticking around on the planet. Similarly, you'll also have to start making room for the younger generation. If you have kids, they'll grow up and, perhaps, start showing less and less interest in you and what you've taught them (which isn't necessarily a total bad thing, they're allowed to make their own way) and start seeking other sources of guidance - just like you did when you were their age. They'll be interested in more interested in other things (if you've done what youre supposed to do as a parent). They'll also begin to make their own sound and you'll probably [SURELY] not like it as much as they do and maybe not even understand it very well at all - also fine. I say that because, I look at things now and I find myself likely mentioning people who either weren't around when I started writing these things or, if they were, were very, very young and I'm probably the same age (if not older) than the whoever raised them. I'm definitely enjoying some of the younger talents but, unsurprisingly, I still spend more of my time writing about the work of people with whom I am far more familiar. These're people who I either grew up listening to or began hearing as a young adult. The last review I actually completed as I write this now was for an album called "World Of Love" by Anthony B: He definitely qualifies as such an artist and so do the Capletons, Bujus and Beenies of the world, all of whom have released albums this year and we've covered them all (and I'm sure I'm forgetting someone else in there). So when I saw the album we're dealing with on the schedule today, one of the first things that went through my mind was just HOW DAMN LONG, I've been listening to this 'German guy'. I can remember hearing so much about him in the early days, to the point where I went and tracked down an album of his... and it would become a Modern Classic and then another album he did a couple of years later.... also a Modern Classic ["Intoxication of a certain kind!"]. More than twenty years later now and we're all still here and it's time for another party!
If you do not know who I'm talking about (you have selective vision because his name is literally at the top of this post), of course I'm referring to German big man, Gentleman. For as long as I can recall (perhaps at least partially due to the sizable Carribean population in the UK), Europe has been a hotbed for Reggae music. And you can go back to THE 70's and acts such as Steel Pulse and Aswad and even UB40 (if you don't like UB40 you are unworthy of love) (SERIOUSLY) or, further up the line, to the likes of the brilliant Maxi Priest (who is still going and on his way to SEVENTY years old). I don't know that such a background exists in Germany, however, and though I'm sure there must've been someone ahead of him, Gentleman's is the very first name that I can think of and, definitely, to the degree of the impact that he's made in his career. You have to think that Gentleman has not only inspired many Germans to listen to and to actually start making Reggae music but I'd go as far as to think that he's inspired a large number of Europeans, in general, to do the same with the strides that he's made over the course of the last... damn near three decades or so.
| 2022 |
But apparently Gentleman, now well into his 50's, isn't ready for some lifetime achievement award. He's not ready for the rocking chair. He still has a few things on his mind and one of those things (or seventeen of them) is "Gratitude". I THINK the last time we heard from Gentleman in album form would have been just four years ago, with "Mad World" (seems longer than that for some reason). That album, like pretty much everything he's done, was very well received and, listening back through it right now for the first time in a few minutes, it has aged very well (when I find myself listening to albums like this, I'm always curious as to what I thought was its best song when I reviewed it. In the case of "Mad World", it was 'What Them A Go Do'. It's still fantastic but 'Defining Love' is running it close these days) You knew you'd hear from Gentleman again (more on that in a second) and probably in the not too distant future; four years later is just fine. He's also been relatively active over the course of the past few years or so. I have to say that Gentleman makes such an... OPEN and SPRAWLING form of Roots music (for the most part), that he's someone whose work, whether I mention him a great deal or not, I really find myself looking forward to hearing. His music is very catchy and immediately gratifying. In fact, in a year where we've seen CONSTANT big names arriving and re-arriving with albums and projects, "Gratitude" was in the small lot that I was most anticipating digging my claws into (biggup Capleton). When the actual background info surrounding "Gratitude" began to come out, I got even more intrigued as the new album features quite a bit of the handiwork of the great Don Corleon. I think a legitimate case could be made that Don is THE greatest producer in Reggae... like ever. He at least has earned a seat at the table so anything he puts his work into is at least worth hearing. Furthermore, the two have a history together as Corleon has been behind some of the biggest work of Gentleman's career including, arguably, THE biggest, the previously alluded to 'Intoxication', across the legendary Drop Leaf Riddim. Just a couple of years ago, the two reunited for 'Watch Over Me', Gentleman's lovely cut of Corleon's STERLING Finally Riddim; so the link has remained strong. Also, along with Corleon, Stephen "Di Genius" McGregor and Clayton "Claye" Morrison also provide production and, of course, it's a Gentleman album, so you know that the vocal guests will be damn interesting as well. If all of that hasn't sold you on "Gratitude", at least on paper, then.... just listen to it anyway. You will not be disappointed in what you hear.
Gentleman has always struck as a bit of a music junkie. What I mean is that - if he never made a dime for his work, I think he'd be, by far, one of the most enthusiastic of music hobbyists in the world. Because of that, I almost look at the way he does things as how a fan might. If I were a musician, I think I'd hear someone and really want to work with them. Gentleman does that. He's done full albums with other artists (coincidentally, one of whom was Ky-Mani Marley who released an album on the exact same day as "Gratitude") and it's usually one of the most compelling aspects surrounding his releases: Seeing with whom he'll work this time around. We'll get more into that in shortly but 'Genkleman' begins his brand new album, "Gratitude" all by himself, with what is undeniably one of its biggest moments, 'Lion'. This tune may've been one of the (if not THE) first singles from what turned out to be "Gratitude" as it launched way back in the winter or so and even a cursory glance of a listen to it shows you exactly why it was chosen.
Not only is 'Lion' excellent but, again, it's signature Gentleman. It's open, EXCITING and very catchy Roots music. I do have to mention that... GRUMBLE sound on the riddim. It kinda/sorta sounds like it's a little angry at us all (and that's fine) (we're flawed. It probably should be mad at us) and IT IS GORGEOUS! Gentleman shines, arguably, just as bright but Don gave him a damn DIAMOND of track to do his best on. Next in is, EASILY, one of the most interesting efforts on the whole of "Gratitude" and at least partially the reason why I structured this review in the way I did, the absolutely LOVELY 'I'll Be There'. Let's go back for a second: In 2007, Gentleman did an album by the name of "Another Intensity". That release carried a nice tune by the name of 'Lack Of Love', which just so happened to feature the great Sizzla Kalonji. Nearly twenty years on and Gentleman now does 'I'll Be There' alongside Meleku, who is Kalonji's son. You know you've put in some serious checks in the longevity column when you're knocking around with GENERATIONS of families (not named Marley or Morgan). And you aren't just hanging out and sticking around, you're also maintaining some level of stature as well (particularly given who else is here) (Gentleman & Sizzla would make at least one more song as well. It was called 'Don't Worry' and it also featured Mark Wonder). 'I'll Be There' is really good stuff as a love song and it finds Meleku employing that high pitched kind of wail that his father often does and it works from beginning to end and as the first of TEN combinations on "Gratitude", it really gets us off to a great start. Just as Anthony B did with his ridiculously addictive 'Jet Ski' from his most recent release, "World Of Love", Gentleman also tackles the Hill & Gully Riddim and he also dazzles, with 'Nah Worry'.
"Coulda hill top weh a di grades, man grow
Dung inna di gully, a di same love show
Still ah carry love pon di journey, mi know
IT'S A HILL AND GULLY RIDE FULLA HIGHS AND LOWS
Jamaica just open di door and say 'come Gentleman, cah yuh heart to di core'
Cologne, where it start unfold, wid a real yard influence: Cultural gold!"
The song goes through Gentleman's journey to prominence a bit but what I REALLY get from 'Nuh Worry' is just HOW DAMN APPRECIATIVE he is. It comes off more, to me, as a THANK YOU. Gentleman is thanking a culture, his fans, an artform, a place and he's grateful for everything -- "the highs and lows" -- that he's experienced along the way. That is a HUGE thought for me and I love all of 'Nah Worry'. The R&Bish 'Unity' is another winner here with its somewhat unusual sound. I call "R&Bish" and I'll stand by it but you'll get nothing of the typical R&B fare in terms of direction from it at all. 'Unity' is pretty much exactly what you'd think it would be if you follow Reggae music to any degree ["Mi waan di people spread di love so mi ah nudge dem. For our part wi use di music and wi touch dem"] and it is a substantial body of work, lyrically. I don't want to be a 'prisoner of the moment' but, seriously.... 'Unity' is one of the best written tunes that I've heard from Gentleman in quite some time and he's always pretty dependable in that area, so that is a considerable statement. Here is another considerable statement: QUEEN OMEGA IS ON THIS ALBUM. Her contribution comes on a tune called 'What If' that reminds me of a personal all time classic for me by the name of 'Stay Like Bees' from Agent Sasco; as the Queen and the Gentleman ask a most basic question: What if things were different? I don't think that the perfect picture (or perfect MODEL of a picture) here is some type of utopia where things are both better and simpler (he literally says "what if reality is just a mirage") but I took this one in more of a combined way. This is a tune where so many different little topics come together to make ask that question. Maybe they would be better in some cases or maybe not but these two go about posing that scenario in a most DEVASTATING fashion together. And... I MEAN, DAMN! IT'S GENTLEMAN & QUEEN OMEGA ON THE SAME SONG! BOOM!
The floodgates open after Meleku and Queen Omega as EIGHT of the final twelve selections on "Gratitude" are combinations of some sort; featuring a very healthy variety of names joining Gentleman. The album actually completely introduces me to someone who I've never come across in any capacity, the wonderful voice of German songstress, Milaa, who joins in on the glowing 'Show Me A Sign'. My little research tells me that Milaa typically sings R&B and CLEARLY that gold bar of a track from Don Corleon made her feel completely at home because she does a BEAUTIFUL job with Gentleman here. The song is lovey-ish but it has a certain DEPTH to it and, much like the opener, the riddim comes equipped with this terrifyingly delicious GRUMBLE to it. It isn't as strong as it is on 'Lion' (and it shouldn't be) but it is so damn addictive when it pops in. Even stronger is the track behind 'Bypass The Sorrow' which features impressive German singer, Nico Santos. I am not crazy about 'Bypass The Sorrow', on the whole, as a song; lyrically, it isn't very strong (it isn't bad but it's kind of meh). But just LISTENING to it... DAMN! It is a heavy piece of art and, strictly in that capacity, it's probably one of the finest listens on the entire album. Just play that thing in the background to your day and you'll truly enjoy it. Curious voiced Irishman, Michael Patrick Kelly, makes an appearance on "Gratitude" through 'Wildfire'. My friend, Google, told me that, about a decade ago, Kelly and Gentleman worked together on 'iD', which I'm listening to right now and am probably going to have a difficult time shaking. 'Wildfire' may not be quite as immediately captivating but it is a better song in my opinion (probably due to all of that actual Reggae going on) ('iD' was a little Poppish) and it really does pick up. Much like the situation with Meleku & Sizzla, this is pretty nice as you make a song with someone who doesn't really fit into the landscape of the music that you typically make and, several years on, you're both still around and are able to run it back and do so at a level where it's still crucial to your fans. The THICK and unusual 'Fireflies' brings in both Jahmiel and Claye (who also produces the song). I call it unusual because I don't.... quite know how to qualify it in terms of sound. It isn't Reggae really and I almost want to call it Hip Hop to some degree but not quite. Regardless, while I can't rank it amongst my favourites, I'm still working on 'Fireflies' because I'm damn confident that there is something in here that is slowly building on me. I don't think that I ever get to the point where I LOVE 'Fireflies'.... but we will see. And I'll put it here (as it may just be the shortest combination that I've ever heard) but 'Same Struggle' is at least a little better than every song I've told you about since 'What If'.
"Careful cah di rat dem out fi get yuh cheese
Mind yuh enemies cah dem will try fi put yuh pon yuh knees
Solid as a rock, it's like wi concrete
Neva tek a loss, it's like wi bawn fi it
HAFFI LIVE MI DREAMS, THAT'S WHY MI CAAN SLEEP"
I THINK I may've come across Richie Campbell but I'm not entirely and IF I did, I did not hear THAT from the Portugal native. He SCORCHES the semi-social commentary (I say "semi" because it is but it's also pretty personal and specific) with his piece to the tune of one of the most thrilling verses on the whole of "Gratitude" and I will definitely be seeking out more of Campbell's work in the future.
I have no idea how many songs Gentleman has done with Capleton and I don't feel like looking it up but I'm going to go ahead and immediately install their collective tune on "Gratitude", 'They Don't Care', as one of my favourites from the duo. Let's stay here for just a second because I have a couple of things on my mind. The first thing I'm going to do is to give HUGE credit to one Gardel Fulvio Stuart who produces and comes up with a riddim literally DRIPPING with nostalgia. This thing sounds like.... gorgeous, BRUTAL late 1990s Dancehall and if you don't know, you just happen to be in the presence of one of the genuine masters of the era in Capleton and he absolutely annihilates this sweet, sweet track (the KNOCK on 'They Don't Care' almost reminds me of a tune King Shango did called 'Melting Pot' a hundred and twenty years ago)
"After mi gi dem di torch and dem drop it
Show dem di door and all now dem caan knock it
Give dem di code and all now dem caan crack it
How dem si mi wid di key and ah ask 'a who lock it'?
Capleton and Gentleman, di one yah shoot like rocket
Not even AI, nuttin can stop it
Go fi cybernetic and dem still couldn't hack it
Mek mi tell dem one more thing:
Mi love di people uplifted
Blessed from birth, so mi know seh mi gifted
ANYTHING THAT GOOD, IT HAFFI GET RESTRICTED
Real organic, well a dat wi ah stick wid
And mi nah lef mi clip wid"
Grrrr! Gentleman, himself, also turns in a stellar effort and the pair blaze hot enough to the point where if 'Lion' is not the best song on this album (and it is), 'They Don't Care' makes a MIGHTY argument for itself! Don returns to steer Gentleman with Christopher Martin on the postively golden 'Open My Eyes'. This is another pairing that isn't first as the two vocalists have linked on multiple occasions; most notably, perhaps, on 'People', atop Kabaka Pyramid's winning Victory Rock Riddim. Though 'Open My Eyes' may not quite hit those lofty levels, it's running it very close as a total composition. 'Open Your Eyes' isn't Reggae music at all. It just is not. It's somewhere between R&B and Jazz and it's one of those songs that people would say has "Caribbean undertones" or something like that, strictly because of the vocals but it doesn't have that either (and we'll get back there before closing this one out). It does have a very uplifting message and, again, regardless of its genre, 'Open Your Eyes' is undeniably wonderful music. Finally (besides the other... four songs I still have to tell you about), Bermy star, the well qualified Collie Buddz, is featured on "Gratitude" as well with his track, 'Friends' ranking amongst the very finest it has to offer altogether. On paper, Gentleman with Collie Buddz is a HUGE FUCKING DEAL. The thought of it is a very one exciting one and it pans out as well as you could have imagined.
"Biggup di real ones and go have a laugh"
The tune is about the special people we meet along our journey and how they come and go (and how we come and go in their lives as well) with that specific select few sticking around to the very end. Also I just get from 'Friends' the idea of TREATING people better, in general. Also, just in case I haven't mentioned it over and over again but the riddim here, from Don, is a piece of glowing magic. I don't spend a lot of time talking about Collie Buddz but the man is super talented and he's been churning out some top notch material over the course of the past few years or so.
'So Good' is a solid love song. It isn't a GREAT one but it's pretty good but.... I hate to beat a dead horse (revive it and beat it again) and sound like a broken record but... DAMN! The riddim on that song is kinda divine. It's a gift from the Heavens or Don - one of them. The same EXACT source provides that thing you'll hear beneath 'Never Fail' so I'll spare you my thoughts on its quality... because you already know what I think about it. 'Never Fail' is excellent. The praising tune sits comfortably amongst the very best that "Gratitude" has to offer without a doubt and it's specifically one of the best on the lyrical end as well. I should also mention a VERY subtle horn that I hear in the background here. It is as faint as it could possibly be but my ears jump (biggup Shabba) each and every time I hear it, particularly during the sweet, SWEET chorus. Check the surprising modern Dancehall burner 'Warrior' which stands as a bit of a changeup for 'Gratitude' and one that is damn welcomed! I would have listened to this album and said that maybe something here is missing and I wouldn't have been able to qualify it.... it would have been 'Warrior'. 'Warrior' would have been missing. It's a FUN song that does have a semblance of a greater purpose but, like I said, Gentleman seems to me to be that music addict who is always thinking of something to add to the pot and it sounds like he had an endless amount of fun putting this one together; that stands out most glaringly, when it almost seems like he free-flows an entire verse to biting effect.
"Mi just ah sekkle and flow pon di beat unu Don
Cooler than di breeze weh blow outta di fan
Hotter than di fya from out frying pan
Lyrics dem ah shot but no gun inna mi hand"
The final song on the album doesn't do much for me - 'When The Sun Goes Down'. It's largely acoustic and it has a nice, bright vibes to it which is fine but it doesn't move too much from that point. It's also the second shortest song on the album so it doesn't wear out its welcome and, who knows, you'll probably enjoy more than I do.
Sticking on that topic, quickly, I do want to just mention that, "Gratitude" definitely brings in a few different sounds which aren't typically/traditionally found in Reggae circles. It isn't overbearing to any degree and it isn't even all that shocking given just how many songs it carries but it is worth mentioning. So, just in case you're wanting every single tune to clunk you over your Reggae & Dancehall starved head, do beware. Also,.... have I mentioned just how DAMN GORGEOUS some of this music is??? In case I haven't (over and over and over again), you've now officially been notified.
Overall, while I won't attempt to compare "Gratitude" to some of Gentleman's other releases, what I will say is that it is a very entertaining and fulfilling set. Again, given the sheer number of songs here (and all of that other stuff that I mentioned), I was expecting a lot here and I don't come away from it disappointed to any degree. While the album comes at an interesting and WELL DEVELOPED point in the career of Gentleman, it still sounds, wonderfully, like he's working on some things. He's still in the lab tinkering and mixing vials that probably shouldn't even be sitting next to each other; it's probably the same thing that got him started down this most interesting path in the first place. "Gratitude" is an album from an aging star that sounds like he still brings every ounce of the zeal and PASSION that initially put him on our radars in the first place.... way back when. Well done.
No comments:
Post a Comment