Not too long ago at all, we told you about the new EP release from Statian star, Ziggi Recado, "Elevation" from Oneness Records; a couple of months on, and he's already back at work with a brand new tune for his own label, Nayamari Music, 'Head Up'. Let me just say, first of all, that the riddim on this tune is ABSOLUTELY SUBLIME! THIS THING IS GOLD! A quick glance through the credits reveals a pair of familiar names which would well explain the quality of the musicianship here as both Jah David [Zion High Productions] & Tippy I [I Grade Records] are amongst the players of instruments behind 'Head Up' - giving it at least a baseline of expectations (and results). To his credit, Ziggi doesn't waste the moment and continues his winning run of form with another impressive track. This one speaking to keeping focused (and HAPPY) in the face of outside factors trying to steer your decision away.
"Caan mess wid mi mind, dem nuh able
Walk mi own road, mi nuh follow dem fable
Mi destiny set, it written pon di cable
Dem chat plenty but di works nuh stable"
Can't imagine it's happening this year (though I'd take it if it is) but HOPEFULLY 2027 brings us a new full project from Ziggi Recado as it appears he's hitting his stride once again.
"Brightside" by Ziggy Marley [Tuff Gong - 2026]
I've never been the biggest fan of legit Reggae star, Ziggy Marley, and his latest set, "Brightside", most certainly isn't going to change that. I did give it an honest shot but, unfortunately, "Brightside"appears to embody what I don't like about his work. There's a certain... Folk-ishness or Country-ishness about his sound that just doesn't vibe with me for some reason or another and I hear it (whatever IT may be) all over this one. That being said, I'd be pretty damn surprised if "Brightside" isn't nominated for a Grammy next year and it will be amongst the favourites to take home the trophy once again for Ziggy Marley (he'll probably win).
"Love And Energy" by Ky-Mani Marley [Konfrontation Muzik + DubShot Records]
I've also never been the biggest fan of Ziggy's brother, Ky-Mani, though he has made music over the years that I have enjoyed (namely an album from a century or two ago, "Many More Roads") (also had a song called 'Royal Vibes' that I really liked; think it was on the "Radio" album) and he's also back with a brand new album of his own for 2026, "Love And Energy". Though I'm not really a fan and SURELY because of its length, there're things that I've enjoyed on "Love And Energy" as opposed to "Brightside". Standouts include both the openers, the title track and 'New Creature', as well as 'One Family' and 'War Inna Babylon'. Ky-Mani calls in the heavy artillery as "L&A" features a helping hand by the likes of Anthony B, Gyptian, Sizzla Kalonji, Agent Sasco, Lutan Fyah and others. I'm not going to blow it up and say IT'S FANTASTIC [it's not] (I would've reviewed if it were) but I have had a little fun with "Love And Energy" and you'll probably like this one (another damn near lock of a Grammy nominee) more than I do.
Bomboclxxt Now Riddim [Misik Muzik - 2026]
I most certainly AM a fan of Suku from Ward 21 and his latest creation, the Bomboclxxt Now Riddim has not done a damn thing to dampen that... at least not as far as a creation. Strictly in terms of the actual riddim, itself - the Bomboclxxt Now is a winner. It is the aggressive, legit, hardcore Dancehall that you've come to expect from Suku after all of these years. What happens on it when turned over to even some very talented vocalists, however, is largely a different story. Most... MOST of the tunes on this riddim just don't work for me and, again, that isn't just from some random up and comer struggling in the moment (although there're a number of those as well). The likes of Spragga Benz, Delly Ranks, Lexxus, Kiprich, Craigy T, Bling Dawg and others all turn up with relatively flat performances across something that you would think would be right up their proverbial alleys.... but not everyone misses the mark.
Reigning supreme is Sean Paul with the sickening 'Steal Machine', also scoring well are both Wayne Wonder and Wayne Wonder's alter ego, Supriz (Supriz actually does a little better, in my opinion) as well as Jah Izrehl who absolutely scorches with the very clever 'Seh No'. The Bomboclxxt Now also has a version 2.0, featuring some (many... like 20 of them) of the lesser known artists on the riddim, as well as Digital Riley. Actually, though you may not know most (or any at all) of their names, 2.0 is better between the two. Here, Uncle Finch, Andre Blackx, Crazy G, I-Jah Yout, Cute Axe (who!), Kwanele and others still turn up with solid offerings.
"Higher Meditation" by Anthony B [Greensleeves Records - 2007]
Obviously I've found my way back to the [hard-to-believe] now NINTEEN YEARS OLD "Higher Meditation" via Anthony B's latest creation, the lovely "World Of Love". Regardless of the reason that brought me here... I'm here and "Higher Meditation" IS an excellent album, especially when you haven't heard it in awhile. The set was another product of a very powerful union between Anthony B and Frenchie & all of the fine people at Maximum Sound and was the direct descendant of the even stronger "Black History" album from a couple of years prior (before that was the SOLID "Powers Of Creation" project as well) ["Stand guard, nuh let dem hurt you!"]. These albums, in my opinion, are highlighted by HEAVY but INFECTIOUS Roots Reggae music (with a little Dancehall mixed in). It's the genuine article but it is very catchy and that's the signature Maximum Sound (if there exists such a thing) for me. That is exactly what "Higher Meditation" was. These days, a tune called 'Hold On', that I didn't remember AT ALL, is absolutely killing me ["Dutty babylon, mi nah need yuh ointment!"] along with the typical highlights, 'Just Can't Live That Way', the title track, 'One Chalice' ["ALL WHEN MI OLD AND GREY, MI STILL AH SMOKE THE HERBS EVERYDAY!"], 'Jahx5' (that song is literally called 'Jah, Jah, Jah, Jah, Jah') and of course its pair of combinations, 'Real Wariors' and 'Honour To Marcus', with Turbulence and Natty King, respectively. I'm presuming that ship has sailed but, DAMN wouldn't it be nice if Anthony B & Maximum Sound linked up again for another set!
No comments:
Post a Comment