Monday, December 14, 2009

A Big Fucking Deal: A Review of The Sugar Riddim by Various Artists

I was sitting here thinking about this particular release and I was kind of struck by one thing in particular that is definitely a familiar feeling that I have, but one which was accentuated in this case for a variety of reasons. I looked at this thing and said (partially because it is just LOVELY, and is as equally impressively presented), ‘this is a BIG DEAL!’ Now this album isn’t going to go flying off of shelves in the general sense, but for the type of fans who literally count the days between the release dates of such assuredly high quality material, like myself, this project definitely comes as a reward as have quite a few OUTSTANDING releases this year which aren’t necessarily going to GRIP the attention of the Reggae listening world, ostensibly. There is this class of project which can do so much ‘damage’ within a certain ‘sub-community’ and in so many ways and it just so happens that quite a few of them are in the process of coming through at this point. A great example of this came not too long ago when the always reliable Lorenzo brought forth his very first album Movin’ Ahead for Irie Ites. I was actually surprised by just how many people had opinions (all positive that I’ve seen so far) on that project afterwards. Lorenzo isn’t exactly (AT ALL) a ‘household name’ in Reggae, far from it in fact, but this wonderfully educated brand of fan has apparently taken quite the notice of it and I hope it’s doing very well, but anything but a HEAVY Reggae head might be inclined to ignore it (and even one of those types if they’re not looking in the ‘right’ direction). Another very strong example running right now would be Herbs Man from Ras Zacharri. Again, this is the type of album which you wouldn’t think would get such a GREAT reaction from a lot of fans (in terms of attention. In terms of quality it is without question QUALITY material), but it’s seemingly doing quite well and will seemingly continue to do so,. I also expect a similar response for Black Dillinger's forthcoming sophomore album, and lest you think it is a certain kind of artist destined to remain in a certain ‘tunnel’ in their careers, I’d also say that this very supportive and attentive crowd have been the anchoring force behind the successes of the likes of recent break out stars Cali P and Ziggi and ultimately going back to someone like Gentleman. Well, if you haven’t figured out where I was going with this just yet (shame on you), you’ll definitely notice that quite a few of the examples that I’ve drawn on have been European based projects and/or albums and very nicely that community has been well in bloom with material supporting this very direct type of hardcore fan. Well if that’s you, then certainly your eyes, like mine, LIT UP when you first caught a glimpse of this one.

Of the various labels in Europe who are charged with producing quality material over and over, there are definitely a few which set themselves apart from the rest in my opinion. The absolute top notch of these include the aforementioned Irie Ites from out o France, of course Pow Pow from Germany and then there’s the always dependable Special Delivery. The Frenchie label, if you don’t know (again, shame on you), has been quietly one of the most consistent Reggae labels in the entire world. They’ve also, just as quietly, been one of my absolute favourites of the past couple of years, so when they bring something new, DEFINITELY I’m paying attention. Thus, by extension I can EASILY say that I haven’t been as happy to see a Special Delivery project release as this one since 2004-2005 when the label pushed what is in my opinion STILL their finest effort, Queen Omega’s magical Destiny album (and wouldn’t it be so nice if people put the actual year of release on albums???). That piece was easy: It was one of my favourite artists and she was on an absolute ROLL at the time. This one was just as easy: The Sugar Riddim may very well be the finest new riddim that I have heard ALL YEAR. This thing is FLAWLESS and besides that when I got a look at the very varied nature of the artists Bost & Bim (the boys who run the show at Special Delivery) had linked to voice it, I was just happy for that alone. And unfortunately, again, I know I most likely belong to a very small and select group of fans who kind of basked in that enthusiasm for the project (although I’m sure it will meet expectations commercially) before it was released, but BASK I did and I was definitely looking forward to it. As I said, the riddim itself is beautiful. I believe it was actually constructed by the label TNT, and whoever built it this guitar highlighted PHENOMENAL riddim struck chords in my ears that I can’t remember any piece gripping all year (and for some reason I think it sounds like the same riddim which backs Pressure’s BIG tune ‘So Appealing’, even though it clearly doesn’t) like such and is definitely one of the best pieces of the year (and like I said, perhaps THE absolute best). And did I mention the artist selection on the riddim? RIDICULOUS. Besides the typical usual lights you expect to see on Special Delivery riddims (both of the new and old variety), there were a few names here which really just gave me a PAUSE, especially on in particular, and even more surprising is that they ALL score on the riddim, there are no bad tunes. That makes it even more significant that Special Delivery now brings their Sugar Riddim to album to bring to the masses, whether they’re paying attention or not and what they’ll end up getting should they kickstart their brings is definitely one of the finest riddim albums of 2009 as well. The album features a helluva lot of high level vibes and while it may lack that ONE dominant big name (kinda, sorta, more on that in a minute), as I said, the artists who are here more than make up for that and by its end, you shouldn’t be complaining much at all.

When I hear the Sugar I kind of hear a bit of R&B as well and that’s a good thing in this case, creating an (at times) nice and romantic set and I can’t help but wonder what mainstreamer international R&B radio might think of the SWEET piece. Regardless, it is ultimately for Reggae heads and we well appreciate Special Delivery pushing the Sugar Riddim album and doing so with tunes such as the opener ‘It’s OK’ from new Dancehall veteran, the strangely gifted Demarco. Of course the Kingston native does very well on his subtly ‘intense’ love song, but the star of the show is the first time you get to lay a listen on that guitar strumming in for the riddim and WHAT A SOUND! It continues on (for the next sixteen tracks) (DUH) with Demarco’s former label mate Peetah Morgan (biggup Shane Brown) on his offering, the even stronger ‘It’s Love’. Morgan, lead singer of the famed Morgan Heritage group is the kind of pseudo big name I alluded to and as he continues to do more solo work, I may have to drop the ‘pseudo’ label. This tune is definitely one of the biggest here as it’s kind of a HISTORICAL love song, the type of vibes which definitely aren’t very prevalent in any genre of music, I’d say. “We’ve got love like Solomon & Sheba, like Michelle & Obama, like David & Bathsheba”, Morgan says on one of the best choruses on the entire riddim. BIG tune. And lastly of the opening lot is a tune, ’The Rain’ which had to grow on me a bit from the first artist on the Sugar Riddim whose presence REALLY grabs your attentions, up and coming UK sensation Gappy Ranks. The tune is kind of corny, lyrically speaking, but SHAMEFULLY, “dancing in the rain, you call out my name”, eventually grew on me from a sonic standpoint (lyrically speaking, it’s still what it is). All in all a good opening and one which gives just a hint of what’s to come.

To my knowledge two tunes have risen to become THE signature songs of the Sugar riddim and it just so happens that they’re from my two favourite songs on the riddim and arguably my two favourite artists also. First up is SENSATIONAL Dutchie Ziggi who chimes in with the very popular ‘Gonna Leave You’ which was probably the first taste anyone had of the riddim as it featured prominently on his MAMMOTH 2008 sophomore album In Transit and it’s definitely a big tune and has gotten better over the months. Better still, however, is Special Delivery staple Lyricson who comes in with the SWEET (!) ‘Glad You’re Mine’. Hopefully this tune features on his forthcoming album Messages because it is crazy. Lyricson’s skillset is one of the greatest in the business as he exists somewhere between chanter and singer, but when he actually pushes his voice to any degree, you get stuff like this, which makes absolutely no sense. None at all. And you also get the finest tune on the riddim. Now, besides those two, there’s also the very nice ‘Me & You’ from one of Europe’s top talents Million Stylez, which is another of the real highlights here in my opinion; young veteran Da’Ville who brings the average ‘Barrier’ and Oba Simba, still a relatively unknown artist but a favourite at SD (apparently), who gives the riddim its obligatory herbalist track, ‘The Herb’ which DEFINITELY has R&B overtones, which is very interesting considering the nature of the tune (soon, the likes of Usher and Brian McKnight will be singing tunes of the wonders of bringing that special lady in your life a spliff). And MAYBE I can add Stevie Culture and his VERY nice ‘I Can Be Bad’ which has one of the most interesting setups of any tune I’ve heard in quite awhile. What he says is that, while he definitely CAN be bad, he’d rather settle himself and be cool and follows his majesty, despite urges (of various kinds) to do otherwise (“life is so funny. Dem waan see mi dead, yet dem ah beg I money. But I give dem still, mek dem swallow dem own pill and show dem di peace sign and a say ‘youth man, live better, unoo chill”). HUGE vibe there. Now, besides those familiar and semi familiar names, things just get WEIRD on the Sugar Riddim album. BY FAR the oddest moment of them all comes on ‘Not Giving Up’ which features none other than Bajan Soca star Rupee (yep, ‘tempted to touch’ Rupee). I was SO happy to see his name here because, little known as it may be, this riddim is right up his alley and Not Giving Up is proof of that (and should you like it so much, definitely look up a tune by the name of ‘Magnet To Steel’ which is a bit more Soca, but you’ll probably like it as well). Ricashae’s is a name which is vaguely familiar, but maybe everyone should become more acquainted because his ‘Can’t Wait’ is full on one of the strongest tunes on the riddim and the same could be said for the tune (and the artist) which precedes it, ‘Good Love’ from Torch. This artist is one of the more talked about today so, you’re certain to hear more about him and hopefully it’s as strong as this effort (and it has been, I’m very high on his potential). Not the biggest surprise in terms of actually being on the riddim, but definitely one (at least for me) in terms of quality is Jah Sun who brings the BEAUTIFUL ‘Woman Of Virtue’. I’ve never been very impressed with the US based chanter (outside of ‘No Bones, NoBlood’, of course) (now you’ll google that tune and find out why I was impressed), but that changes here IMMEDIATELY. Woman Of Virtue is a big tune throughout and maybe I need to go back and give some of the older stuff another spin at this point and I think he actually has a new album. SD favourite Queen Omega is (disappointingly) absent from the riddim (that would have been amazing), but Bost & Bim don’t go completely sans the farer sex as they draw or Hawaiian songstress Irie Love who holds down the spot well for the Trini Reggae Empress on ‘Don’t Give Up’, which sounds incredible. The tune is kind of clichĂ©d a bit, but those downright angelic vocals and the ultimate position the tune takes, in terms of the message, makes up for it. And finally there’s some dude name Kevin with the very R&B-ish Feel It, which isn’t one of my favourites, but Kevin’s (whoever he is) vocals are pretty unusual and understated and they began to grow on me.

Also have to mention that they’re not one, but two cuts of the riddim itself. The first features producer Bim going mad with the saxophone on ‘Maramax’ and then there’s the clean version of the Sugar Riddim which is what you’re waiting for and like I tried to stress time and time again, this thing is sublime!

Overall, no problems, no qualifications and no conditions do I take in recommending this one. If you like modern Reggae music (and maybe even modern R&B), you’ll LOVE the Sugar Riddim album, guaranteed. I really just like everything about it, detailing it down the presentation of the entire project, as has been Special Delivery’s norm through the years. Still, I go back to the angle of this review which was that for many people (obviously myself included) the Sugar Riddim album is a really big deal because it has been bubbling nicely for quite awhile and the actualization of the project leaves virtually nothing to be desired in terms of quality. And speaking of that quality, as I said, you’re dealing with some VERY high level stuff here and that being said, when you pick up the Sugar Riddim album from Special Delivery you may just be picking up the showcase of the greatest riddim of 2009. Period.

Rated 4.5/5
Special Delivery
2009

No comments:

Post a Comment