Friday, April 2, 2010

"Vibes In Disguise": A Review of I Know by Eljai

I’ve spoken on this in the past, but certainly this artist provides me with the wonderful opportunity to speak on it in the opposite and far more comfortable position. It seems as if when we have artists in Reggae music and particularly singers who show a certain type of a flare or a certain type of style, scribes and fans alike (and labels who promote the album), will take those artists and say things about them like ‘this artist clearly has R&B or ‘mainstream’ vibes’. Basically what they’re saying at that point (and as much as I write, I’m certain I’ve done it before) is that the particular artist sounds like a singer from a different genre. At certain times, this actually pisses me off, because it almost always seems to travel in the ranges of artists who have shown themselves to be superior vocally and in the traditional sense. When you take that concept and apply it to an artist who doesn’t seem to have those types of capabilities, however, you don’t hear those same type of calls. For example, you may very well (by his own doings) hear many people refer to a singer such as Jamelody as an artist who has leanings towards different genres, but you’d almost NEVER hear such things about someone like Ras Shiloh. Who’s more talented between the two? Of course that’s subjective, but to date Shiloh has placed more of an impact on the music (and, in my opinion, had already done so at a similar stage of his career to where Jamelody is now), but even if Jamelody stopped singing right now, the Trini wunderkind’s career would have had more ‘buzz’ surrounding it in the more mainstream sense than the vastly underrated Shiloh’s will even if he sings into his nineties. That’s not cool by me and in response I so do love when talents emerge like Eljai, because what they do, inherently, is present me with an opportunity to talk about an artist who would ostensibly fit into the mold of someone who people would say would seemingly belong more into another genre (from the way he sings, to his actual past accomplishments, even down to the way he apparently dresses), but upon further investigation is SO FULLY and CLEARLY an artist who was made for Reggae music that claiming otherwise would just be downright dishonest (or just wrong as hell). Yes, he’ll make headlines for various reasons and I’m quite sure people are going (if they haven’t already) (and they have been) to describe his style using words like ‘soulful’ or ‘deep’, which typically aren’t linked with Reggae (by people who don’t know any better), but Eljai is Reggae on top of Reggae and he’s quite good also thankfully.

So, who is Eljai and why should you care? Eljai is a singer originally from out of Belize (have a BIG few Belizean artists out there doing amazing works) whose name has been around here and there. I don’t know if he actually lived in Jamaica at one point, but a couple of years ago or so, I believed he struck quite a bit of local successes in doing some shows and making some nice links as well (more on those in a minute) and as you begin more and more to do the research on the artist, you see that, as I alluded to, he well has an international history and one which would definitely leads heads to perhaps see Eljai in a light which isn’t typically shone on Reggae music to the fullest. I believe he currently resides in California in the States and while I would love to see him immerse himself in the Lustre Kings and Itations of the world, Eljai has seemingly done his things in his own way and in doing so has developed himself into an excellent artist capable of producing the very HEALTHY type of output that I’m about to tell you of. Said output, his new album I Know from Jah Mix Entertainment (which I think may actually be his own label, because I‘ve never heard of them to do anything besides Eljai related pieces). This album is (at least) his second, following 2006’s Da Rebirth (which contains a few of the same tunes, in different versions, as this release) and according to his bio he apparently spent time in a group as well, which may’ve produced considerable output as well, so there may very well be a few other pieces from the singer floating around out there, however, I Know FULLY becomes his ‘coming out party’ as his most recognizable and highest profile release to date. And what a wonderful way to introduce oneself to the masses is the album. First of all, there’s the matter of Eljai’s voice which I used as kind of a ‘pillar’ of sorts in establishing the type of discourse artists like Eljai typically seem to ignite - Eljai’s voice is EXCELLENT! It is strong when it needs to be, but at the same time there’s this nice and ever-present ‘fragility’ in it - something like you might experience from singers like the aforementioned Ras Shiloh, Glen Washington (although certainly not as ‘earthy’ as Washington) , Avaran (although not as ‘agitated’ as Avaran) and of course the great Garnet Silk. And that is a very nice quality to have in Reggae music (obviously) and one which is so familiar to my ears that I definitely tend to gravitate towards it when I do hear it and it isn’t the dominant style of Eljai’s, but it’s very present and wonderful. There’s also the matter of the actual music here and the direction of the album. LO AND BEHOLD just who Eljai has come into contact with to provide a bit of the riddims backing the tunes on I Know - the inescapable Kemar ‘Flava’ McGregor. That quality alone would make it worth my interests, of course, and add to it the fact that Eljai seems to have a very sharp pen for himself. He focuses on interests and concerns which are prevalent in the Reggae world and although I wouldn’t say necessarily anything I hear here is ‘GROUNDBREAKING’ (although I may be wrong), what it is, is definitely SOLID. It’s very fine craftsmanship and the fact that I’ve heard some of these topics explored in seemingly every way possible through listening to as much music as I do, I had very much a REFRESHING sense regarding Eljai and his wonderful music by album’s end. That’s why you should care about Eljai.

You should also care about the fact that this wonderful album is currently making the rounds as it’s probably one of the most SOLID efforts through the first quarter of 2010 to my opinion. Despite checking in at just twelve tracks, the album is VERY filling and healthy as well, which is definitely saying a lot (especially these days). Of course that ‘fullness’ is at least partially due to the aforementioned ace producer, Flava, who helms ‘The Leaders’, which opens Eljai’s new album I Know. It took me to identify, but the VIBRANT backing this excellent tune is the same which previously backed Gyptian’s CLICKING tune ‘Take My Money’ from the My Name Is Gyptian album. Eljai actually tops his more popular peer, in my opinion, because this tune is not only very poignant, but it is BEAUTIFUL! Its also clearly one of the better tunes on the album and one which is kind of inspirational. I took the message here to be somewhat odd, because what Eljai is saying that “when” the world comes together (“when the leaders of this world unite”), that it will be a much nicer place, but what he SEEMS to be doing (although I may be wrong), is presupposing that said “uniting” is coming. Either that he’s just really hopeful that it is. Either way, however, what a lovely song to get things going on. While certainly McGregor, in the current aspect, is going to be the biggest named boardsmen on the album, Eljai offers a blast from the past on the next tune, the title track, which reaches to the absolute heights in terms of Reggae producers. The tune rides a version of Bob Marley’s ‘Natural Mystic’ riddim and NO, this time around Eljai doesn’t match the previous known effort (nor has anyone else) (ever), but this is another very strong tune to my ears. I particularly like when the tune has progressed on and Eljai says, “the wicked dem say - ‘How could these powerless people be so strong? I really really think that we have judged them really wrong. How could these illiterate people be so smart? I guess in every man chest, I know there really beats a heart’ “. The tune is excellently placed, because it kind of builds on the social structure of the opener and whilst I was, of course, going to over-think and overanalyze this one into the next dimension given the opportunity, it’s a fairly straight forward vibes, which isn’t a bad thing here. I’m not quite sure as to the vibes of the next tune in ‘So It Set’, (it sounds like a slight version of the World Jam Riddim, I’m pretty sure I know it from somewhere), but I am sure that it’s a next big tune on the album and another which continues the social aspect which has been explored throughout the first quarter of I Know. All in all, a very strong start for Eljai.

There’re many vibes and ‘trends’ which jump up through the twelve tracks here and of course, the one which catches my ear the most are the tunes produced by the greatest Reggae producer on the planet, Kemar McGregor. Not surprisingly (AT ALL) that material also just happens to make up not only some of the most notable vibes on the album, but also the finest tune on I Know altogether. Such a “notable” tune is ‘Blessed’ which is clearly going to be one of the most looked at on the album (okay, THE most looked at on the album), because it just so happens to be the first of three official combinations and it features the biggest name of the three, Reggae superstar Capleton. This one is just BIG tune and a praising tune for His Imperial Majesty and one which runs across McGregor’s lick of the Rudeboy Shuffling riddim. It is excellent and I love the musical chemistry between the two definitely! That being said, a tune which may just fly beneath the proverbial radars follows ‘Blessed’ - ‘Jah Cares [Forever]’ - actually tops the more recognizable tune as the absolute best tune that I hear on the album, period. This SUBLIME selection utilizes the 83 Riddim (which you know for having backed Queen Ifrica’s big hit ‘Daddy’) and it would have to rank as one of the strongest pieces on that stacked riddim. The tune kind of comes as a surprise as, just by looking at the title you certainly have some type of expectation with the direction of the tune and although it doesn’t stray too far from that expectation, it kind of builds upon it and in doing so offers itself up as a type of dual-layered tune of praise (saying - Yes Jah does care and will forever, but perhaps even more importantly we will also love HIM “until the end of time”). And at the same time, it is beautiful and the most beautiful on the album, so definitely while rushing to listen to some of the other tunes here, give a stop at ‘Jah Cares’, the best tune on the entire album in the process. McGregor also serves up the Rock Steady Riddim for another big LIFE commentary on ‘They Don’t Know’ which is probably the best written tune on the album; and fans might also recognize the electrically charged Drop It Riddim which serves backing on the nice jilted lover’s piece ‘Don’t Leave’.

Now that certainly isn’t to say that the balance of I Know, sans McGregor (I THINK) and largely produced by Jasic Records (and the one named Fabian Cooke) is to be ignored because, after all, Eljai is the star here and what he does throughout is BIG. Of course it doesn’t help to have a bit of help either and that’s exactly what happens with ‘The Wilderness’ on which the Belizean taps EASILY one of my favourite artists of ALL TIME [General] Degree, of all people. How this link happened, I have no idea, but I am so grateful that it did because I’m always happy to hear Degree rhyming again. The actual “wilderness” spoken of on the tune is society and Eljai and Degree paint it is a ‘jungle’ of sorts and how important it is to be wise and careful when dealing there (“always remember, this no forget, if you no street smart you gwan regret”). It’s a big combination and one whose mere presence makes I Know a better album. Also check ’Wise Up’ which kind of has this big somewhat old school vibes to it. You can well imagine the direction of this tune (which isn’t too far from ’The Wilderness’ tune), but it places that concept (those concepts) into more of an Afrikan setting and how important it is for the children of Afrika, in particular, to come together and THRIVE in that unity (and not just ‘unite’ as fulfilling some lame cliché). There’s ‘Angel of Mine’ the definitive positive lover’s piece on the album. It would’ve been a damn shame had Eljai gone through the album without giving a love song, given his skillset and when he finally does, it proves to be worth the anticipation. This tune has an old school type of sweaty vibes on it, bump and grind style, and it is a LARGE love tune definitely. The unknown (to me) Trish Love guests on the other love song and the album’s final combination ‘I Just Wanna Know’. This one is probably more of a ‘relationship’ type of song that strictly a lover’s piece, however, whatever you’d like to categorize it as, it works. Trish Love, whoever she is, does a very nice job complimenting Eljai and I suppose I’ll be keeping an eye out for her on future works as well. And closing things out on I Know is the obligatory acoustic number ‘If Only’. This is apparently an older tune (it was on the first album), but it is one whose presence here is apparently livicated to the Haitian tragedy and in that respect it certainly is fitting and really the more and more you vibe this song, the better it sounds. Very nice and definitely appropriate to send the album on its way.

Overall, I want to briefly reexamine my premise for this review because, although I didn’t lean on it heavily, it DEFINITELY proves true. There aren’t any obvious leanings towards an R&B crowd or a Pop crowd here and the subjectry of I Know is PURE Reggae music. I don’t think too many Pop or R&B heads are going to be interested in tunes INHERENTLY calling for the destruction of corruption wherever it may exist, so I’m definitely claiming Eljai and his new album for Reggae heads everywhere. But what type of fans? Well, I don’t have too many reservations in recommending this one for a newer fan. Although the subject matter is definitely streamlined and specific, I Know isn’t something along the lines of what you might hear from the aforementioned Ras Shiloh or someone like such, it’s fairly accessible. More established and longtime Reggae listeners will also have no problem with this one (and we never do) as the lyrics are on point and sonically speaking I Know is EASILY one of the best SOUNDING albums I’ve heard in quite awhile. So taking everything into consideration with this album and Eljai, what you have isn’t the most complex and not the finest album altogether you’ll hear, but just a very nice and uplifting vibes and vibes which are instinctively done in Reggae, so please - Leave our artists with us and we’ll appreciate them. Well done.

Rated 4.25/5
Jah Mix Entertainment
2010

1 comment: